3D Printed N Gauge Pendolino and On Track Plant

• RMweb Premium

Those bogies used to be available as Roco spares - not sure if they still are

Hi

Yes they were as I used them for my scratchbuilt Telescopic Steel Hood wagons. Mine came from MacKays models in Paisley (which is long closed).

Bear in mind though these were 1/160 scale.

Cheers

Paul

Edited by PaulCheffus

• RMweb Gold

Hello all,

An IQA arrived in the post today.  Hoping to get it painted and lettered in time for Model Rail live this weekend at Newark!

post-420-0-73585800-1379420846_thumb.jpg

A couple of questions:  Is the flask pale grey or silver?   And what shade of blue for the body?

cheers

Ben A.

• Like 2

Hi Ben,

I have the Dapol Cargowaggon, so I will draw up an alternative version as requested. I thought these wagons might be a nice addition specifically because the Dapol wagon is so hard to find these days.

David

David, I think they just announced a rerun of this wagon with 4 new wagon numbers. Catalogue reference numbers are:- 2F-022-001 to 2F-022-004.

Maybe they will make a load of spare bogies?

Mike

If you want a batch its worth asking them. Dave (back before being NotDapol) was able to oblige for other bogie types. You will need to ask and be in with the running of the Cargowaggons. Maybe its the sort of thing the NGS could get involved in supplying ?

That's a good idea - I will get in contact with them. 

David

Hello all,

An IQA arrived in the post today.  Hoping to get it painted and lettered in time for Model Rail live this weekend at Newark!

A couple of questions:  Is the flask pale grey or silver?   And what shade of blue for the body?

cheers

Ben A.

Hi Ben,

The few photos I've found of it, the hood seems to be metal but is quite flat, so a light grey rather than silver? The blue is a lot lighter than DRS Blue, it looks similar to Railtrack blue or even South West Trains blue. I painted it too dark on mine, but I had a can of French Blue and it seemed appropriate! 

David

Yesterday was exactly one year since I started this thread, and a year since I started learning about 3D printing and CAD. On Monday I start my degree, so while the hobby side of things will take a backfoot, I'm looking forward to learning new skills that will not only set me up for a new career in a new industry, but also again improve what I can achieve in my hobbies.

I am especially looking forward to opening myself up to non geometric and replicative modelling, and freeing some creative organic artistry within me.

Apropriate then that today's update goes back to where it all started, and the Pendolino.

The polished WSF print arrived today, and I'm sure this is the right way to go now. It is nowhere near as good as FUD, but it is a lot better than ordinary WSF, and it is relatively cheap too. I need to use better paint thought as the metalic spray I'm using adds a slight texture.

Here is the print as delivered:

post-6666-0-23610000-1379506520_thumb.jpg

And here it is sprayed up silver:

post-6666-0-37111000-1379506553_thumb.jpg

Close up its still grainy, but I think given the normal viewing distance (and speed!) on a layout, when painted up and detailed well, it will look good enough. Maybe not as impressive as some of the other prints I've done, but still, it will be an N gauge Pendolino at a less than eye-watering price.

I think in this material I can get the whole thing down to about £120-130. Of course you will also need a chassis and a set of Farish Mk4s to donate their bogies.

Slowly getting there with this one...

David

• Like 4

The Pendolino looks good and i must add building one to my ever increasing list of projects.

Is 3D printing viable for producing the definitive bogies rather than a substitute. Having spent all that money on the train bodies is seems a pity not to get the bogies right.

What about a power chassis? The Farish class 158 is a little to short according to my calculations. I have thought about the Class 350 as it is a single powered bogie and testing shows it will haul 10 coaches with no problem. A good reason to buy another 350. Pinch the power unit and add a unpowered bogie so you can run a 8 coach Desiro!.

I'm not convinced 3D printing is really up to doing bogies yet - you can do them if you include spaces to fit in bearing caps, but until you can print in something like nylon, I think injection moulding is still the best way of doing it.

Farish 158 or 170 chassis fit nicely, but the 350 would be good also, as any Japanese motor bogie or cassis. Plenty of room inside, just got to watch for the narrowing at the top due to the tapered sides.

David

• RMweb Gold

Hello all,

Just an update on the IQA flask wagon that I ordered from Modern Image Models.

Since the parts arrived I have primed it white, which was fine, then painted the flask a mix of metal cote Aluminium and Light Aircraft grey.  This did expose a moulding flaw along the top of the hood that I had not previously noted.  Shapeways have been made aware and I am sure they will send a replacement.

I glued on some etched lashing loops from redundant NGS autoballaster frets then masked and painted the body and sub chassis.  I opted for Hanjin blue as the real wagons appear, from photographs, to be "brighter" than anything else DRS operates...

I was very happy with the result.  Only slight issue is that this morning, over 12 hours since the blue was applied, it is still tacky.  I have heard others mention this before and am especially confused as the primer coat, and silver/grey, dried with no issue.

post-420-0-30394200-1379578492_thumb.jpg

Having said that, assuming the paint dries I am very very impressed with this model indeed and look forward to trying more.

cheers

Ben A.

Edited by Ben A

Enamels and FUD don't get along. Some primers seem to act as a good enough barrier between the two that it usually works out - Games Workshop I find does providing its had a decent coat.

It will probably set. The first time I hit this with a North London Railway coach it did eventually set - just took a few weeks !

• RMweb Gold

Hi EP,

It looks like I'm in for a long wait then!  Never mind!  To some extent once I realised the moulding was flawed I saw this as a "test bed" anyway.  Which Games Workshop primer do you use?  I have always used Halfords primer as it gives great results - is GW similar?

cheers

Ben A.

• RMweb Gold

Hi EP,

Thinking about it further, the problem may be that my habit tends to be to "dust" on the primer - enough to give a key to subsequent paint layers, but theoretically not enough to clog up the detail. 

Given your observations, I suspect I should have used a thicker primer coat.  I am sure the Halford's primer is not enamel incidentally, probably an acrylic formulation of some sort.

cheers

Ben A.

Edited by Ben A

That crack on the roof is in the exact same spot one of my test prints had one. I've just run the file through netfab and meshlab and can't see any reason for it.

Oddly that whole hood is simply a duplicate of the other half - why one would have that and the other not is a mystery. I will be keen to hear what Shapeways say about it - must be something in the file causing it, too coincidental to happen twice.

David

I had a spare couple of hours this afternoon, so started work on the next CAD project. I am likely to build up a few designs before I have funds to test print any of them, but this one is quite easy given the simple shape (and a handy scale side drawing from the manufacturer available online)...

Any guesses anyone? :)

David

attachicon.gifMRA pass.jpg

attachicon.gifMRA pass 2.jpg

David,

I look forward to this appearing in your Shapeways shop! It looks great.

A bit off topic, but could you point me to the scale side view you refer to please? I have tried every Google combination I could think of.

Thanks

Kevin

I've been priming the MRA test prints this evening.

There's some vertical banding on the flush sides as expected, but this should vanish after a bit of sanding, but overall I'm pleased with the level of detail, especially on the underframe.

I need to prime and check all five wagons and then start painting...

David

post-6666-0-11555200-1380140944_thumb.jpg

post-6666-0-15194200-1380140994_thumb.jpg

• Like 7