Enthusiasts in Hi-Vis

James

What annoys me is that orange was the railways colour and lime/ yellow was the roads. Now every one wears bloody orange, the amount of times you see some stood at a crossing and I blow the horn

I'm not sure that colour was ever confined to either.

With my employer daytime workers wear lime green Hi-Vis and those working at night wear orange as those respective colours are deemed to be the most visible for the time of day.

• RMweb Premium

Fudge can be dangerous in the wrong hands.

Mike.

If anyone has any dangerous fudge that needs disposing of, please contact me via a PM.  

As for hi-viz, it has its place, but I agree that it is far too often worn unnecessarily.  Often through thoughtlessness as much as anything I think - though yes, lots seem to think it gives them an air of authority, and sadly many people seem to believe it (look at thieves who walk into places in hi viz clothes and no one bats an eyelid).  No idea why you need one to sell fudge, unless its one of those branded ones for some organisation or other, in which case it's more that it's being worn as an advert than as hi-viz.  I work in the bus industry, and its common to see drivers driving in them (a pet hate, but generally more to do with laziness, not caring, or not wanting to forget it when you get back off).  Likewise, although I tend to be conscious of not wanting to stand out when I am walking around, it gets a bit annoying having to put it on and take it off and put it back in your bag every half hour if you're in and out of the depot, so it stays on my coat.  Or if its raining, what do you do with a wet vest...?  In general, I agree that they are becoming maybe too common, and I've heard plenty of people moan that if someone can see you across the yard to shout that you've not got your hi viz on, you're plenty visible, but in that environment, being in the habit is a good thing, as it DOES make a big difference to others seeing you on a damp dark winters morning.

I can understand why people in orange at crossings annoy you, russ_p, must be a bit disconcerting if you're expecting an acknowledgement from a track worker and they don't give one.  

I'm not sure that colour was ever confined to either.

With my employer daytime workers wear lime green Hi-Vis and those working at night wear orange as those respective colours are deemed to be the most visible for the time of day.

I volunteer on the Isle of Man Railway and only orange is allowed but I do remove my hi-vis once I leave the lineside.  On the other hand I keep a yellow one in the car for use in the event of breakdown etc.

Ray.

Saturn Yellow (the catalogue name for road-works green/yellow) was originally preferred because it looks white under sodium lighting. Orange looks a nondescript dark shade and red looks grey to black; that's why the yellow/blue chequerboard pattern was introduced for emergency vehicles

IIRC all hard hats must be white on the railway?

Re #234, the fudge vendors might be required to wear them because they are concessionaires? There might be insurance issues covering employees of third parties, or persons taking part in the activities of the railway?

No, sorry fella, no concessions at all, its all being done in house by volunteers, that's why the hi-vis raised a few eyebrows.  I can report the same people were there today minus their bright orange apparel and managed to get through the entire day without getting struck by a train mounting a platform which I'm sure was a great relief to all concerned.

IIRC all hard hats must be white on the railway?

Blue for people who haven't had their PTS for a year (or maybe 6 months). Otherwise white.

If a rail site has been handed over to another organisation (such as London Bridge station) then they have their own systems of work and rules on PPE so NR rules won't apply. Hence you could at any number of colours.

Speaking with Leon Daniels a few years back when he was working with First Group, he was visiting Dagenham bus depot, up in the office. He looked across the yard and noticed someone NOT wearing hivis. Had the person been wearing it, he would not have noticed. It just goes to show.

On the KESR hivis is not allowed on the platform unless the wearer is required to keep going on the track, such as a shunter or the guard prepping a train. The signalman/crossing keeper is not required to wear one even though his duties require him to go on the track frequently. The burger staff don't have to wear one when selling burgers on the platform. :)

Speaking with Leon Daniels a few years back when he was working with First Group, he was visiting Dagenham bus depot, up in the office. He looked across the yard and noticed someone NOT wearing hivis. Had the person been wearing it, he would not have noticed. It just goes to show.

On the KESR hivis is not allowed on the platform unless the wearer is required to keep going on the track, such as a shunter or the guard prepping a train. The signalman/crossing keeper is not required to wear one even though his duties require him to go on the track frequently. The burger staff don't have to wear one when selling burgers on the platform. :)

Errmmm.... he wouldn't have noticed someone wearing hivis, NOT wearing hivis? I don't suppose he would... I'm surprised that crossing keepers don't wear hivis at KESR. I don't see any useful reason for burger sellers to wear them, but it is the sort of unintended consequence which can appear when SSOW are applied to activities which they arent really intended to apply to, but no specific alternative exists.

I can understand why people in orange at crossings annoy you, russ_p, must be a bit disconcerting if you're expecting an acknowledgement from a track worker and they don't give one.  

No acknowledgement means they get a long 2 tone blast as I get close to them, coz dem iz da rools innit. 

• RMweb Premium

As a poor siggy who has gates to open, I have seen my HV vest no replaced with full orange.

This is not to protect me from trains, but from motorists, who apparently cannot see a 30 foot long 5 foot high white painted (with reflectorized red target and three red led lights) gate being walked out into the road.

The fact that I'm behind this gate, which is therefore obscuring the full orange doesn't seem to come into it......

Andy G

• RMweb Gold

As a poor siggy who has gates to open, I have seen my HV vest no replaced with full orange.

This is not to protect me from trains, but from motorists, who apparently cannot see a 30 foot long 5 foot high white painted (with reflectorized red target and three red led lights) gate being walked out into the road.

The fact that I'm behind this gate, which is therefore obscuring the full orange doesn't seem to come into it......

Andy G

Where you are, does this double up as Passport Control........

:derisive:

• RMweb Premium

Funny you should say that, but about a year ago a colleague had an illegal immigrant come upto the box to claim asylum! Caused all sorts of issues, as, of course the only English was 'Asylum', and then it took Mr plod about 2 hours to come and pick him up... Not a pleasant thing to have happen!

Andy G  

• RMweb Premium

What's a DRL?

Daytime Running Lights - those bright white lights on the front that come on when you switch on the ignition.  Often very badly designed.  Often way too bright, and either stupidly go off on that said when the indicator comes on, or stay on and make it impossible to see the indicator.  The old Volvo approach of permanent front and rear side lights seems much better to me... but that's a whole 'nother discussion!

I stopped going to steam galas because of the use of hi viz in inappropriate places. I found I was spending a lot of money on b&bs, petrol, evening meals, travel tickets etc only to find that I was having to avoid nutters wearing hi viz where they needn't.

Now I only go occasionally to a preserved line; shame really.

I stopped going to steam galas because of the use of hi viz in inappropriate places. I found I was spending a lot of money on b&bs, petrol, evening meals, travel tickets etc only to find that I was having to avoid nutters wearing hi viz where they needn't.

What pleased me at the recent SVR Autumn Gala was the instruction in the Gala Programme & on station noticeboards that 'Hi vis clothing must NOT be worn on station platforms or in other public places'. I've not seen this before & I think it was generally observed.

Martin

• RMweb Premium

There seems to be an increasing trend of people wearing high vis anyway, wherever they are, probably without any intention to pretend they're something they're not or out of any mandated need.

• RMweb Premium

Funny you should say that, but about a year ago a colleague had an illegal immigrant come upto the box to claim asylum! Caused all sorts of issues, as, of course the only English was 'Asylum', and then it took Mr plod about 2 hours to come and pick him up... Not a pleasant thing to have happen!

Andy G  

Do you know, all this time I thought it was churches you went to for asylum, not signal boxes.

• RMweb Gold

Well, I had the pleasure of attending the NYMR steam gala yesterday to see 2 individuals selling fudge from a stall on Pickering station.  What was utterly stupid was the fact that both of them wore orange hi-vis!

I'm sorry but why the hell do you need hi-vis to stand behind a fudge stall?  There's no need for it and I really hope something gets said to the two cretins today.

Aaah! I know the reason why....

That's no ordinary NYMR fudge, that's Lancashire fudge, from over 't border.. It's mixed with chilies 'n pepper, for the 'namby-pamby's from 't other side...

"Gotta go now, walk 't whippet....".

I can't use my name now, I'd get a right mathering....

• RMweb Gold

Good job you weren't at Goathland last Friday, besides getting soaked you would have been exploding at the amount of Hi-Viz about. Some of my shots have been converted to monochrome in an attempt to stop it from standing out so much. Still, it made it easy to spot which were official railway people. The ones on the locos looked like 1950s footplatemen and those on the platform looked like old-time station foremen. 

Archived