Enthusiasts in Hi-Vis

James

Freelance Hi-Vizzers are turning up over here too! I spotted 4 when I took the photos of the Consolidation (see Creative Photography thread) and they were all in the wrong place to get a money picture by being lineside and looking important.......

Then yesterday I saw a video of action at the former Pennsylvania "Horseshoe Curve" this year and about 80% of the photographers were wearing them - even at the special public viewing stand!

Part of the problem is that SEARS, for example, have a clothing section in just about every store dedicated to Hi-Viz stuff (of every description) so it must be really popular.......and no, I'm not shipping any over the pond............................ :senile:

Btw over here in rural parts I can understand people wearing them during the Hunting Seasons. Some of these guys shoot at anything warm-blooded in the woods....

Best, Pete.

• RMweb Premium

Btw over here in rural parts I can understand people wearing them during the Hunting Seasons. Some of these guys shoot at anything warm-blooded in the woods....

:offtopic:

I remember calling into a Walmart or similar in Wisconsin, deep in hunting season, I always thought it was quite humorous that you could buy camouflage gear with dayglo orange bits on............

Cheers,

Mick

Perhaps the enthusiasts should be encouraged to wear camo so they would be less conspicuous on other people's photos. (or perhaps an old khaki 'snorkel' anorak :sarcastic: )

Funny you should say that but at the Moors gala over the past couple of days I have seen a growing number of people on the lineside in camo gear, and yes this does include the hi-vis. Although we have had one guy lying in the bracken with his camera (complete with the camo lens on it) with his hi-vis draped over his backpack a few yards away, perhaps we have a new breed of photographer, those who want to surprise the train to see what face it pulls when it has its photo taken?

Funiest thing I ever saw in the US of A was outside the White House, Washington DC. Guy in uniform, tooled up with an Alsation dog. The dog had a hi-viz coat with "SECRET POLICE" emblazoned on it. - Some secret !!!!!

Brit15

• RMweb Gold

I saw another variant on the theme today - outside a wedding reception at a hotel in town there was a chap who was very clearly a bouncer of some sort, and he was wearing a yellow hvv. MrsS commented that she would hardly want to be a guest at a wedding reception that needed a bouncer while I spared a thought for those who had got past him because unless the food there has improved greatly they'll be seeing again later this evening - or maybe that's what the hvv was warning against?

Funiest thing I ever saw in the US of A was outside the White House, Washington DC. Guy in uniform, tooled up with an Alsation dog. The dog had a hi-viz coat with "SECRET POLICE" emblazoned on it. - Some secret !!!!!

Brit15

You sure it wasn't "Secret Service"? There is no such thing as "Secret Police" in the USA.....

If you google Secret Service you'll find all sorts of stuff from employment opportunities to what they do. There's also a local Secret Service office in every 'phone book.

Their two main avenues of work are Personal Protection (bodyguards) of The President (and diplomats) and protection of the mighty US Dollar - anti-forgery, etc. They are now part of the Homeland Security Dept.

Best, Pete.

• RMweb Gold

Not really on a railway theme, but, on the B B C midday news today the political commentator was reporting from the Liberal Democrat event at Brighton. He was standing in the entrance lobby immediately in front of a stall selling H V outdoor clothing both orange and yellow!

I assume from this they must give protection from flying eggs and mud.

It's to protect them whilst occupying the middle of the road

• RMweb Gold

That's to be expected and is essentially a PTS for that particular railway. a bit different from what I was getting at.

Yes but it does lead to them being on the trains, on the platforms, in the shop, in the bog and everywhere bloomin well else wearing them too seeing as they aparently require surgery to remove them.

Trisonic, youre right, it was a good few years ago though.

If these folks are "secret service" they sure don't keep it secret !!!!!!!!!!!!!!

And his dog is now "Hi-Tec"

My old neighbour opposite to us was Secret Service - occasionally he would come home in a blacked out SUV with a very discreet red light bar.

If you watch the President's motorcade you'll spot one Chevy Suburban belonging to the Secret Service that is weighed down by armour and what has what appears to be two metal sunroofs. They actually flip open for a "pop-up" Vulcan Mini Gun in 5.56mm (electric Gatling Gun) which would shred any target (or anything else) it hits. Normally you'd only see these things (in a heavier caliber) on Helicopter Gunships or Spookies.

Best, Pete.

Liking the guy who obviously doesn't know what he's about with that fine green flouri on!

Mind you we now see enthusiasts wearing their hi-vis to drives their cars to and from an event as well if the ones I passed on the way out of the station last weekend were anything to go by.

Mind you the Moors has had to speak to ticket inspectors who have been wearing hi-vis on the platform at Whitby station, pointing out that no PTS means they are in for a serious kicking if challenged.

• RMweb Gold

Boris,

So these days are platform (or train only?) staff only allowed to wear Hi-vis if they have a PTS certificate?

In practice you can do it whichever way you want on a non-NR railway. I'm working on a Rule Book at the moment where I can see a good reason for making platform staff immediately recognisable, I suspect the next one in the offing will be rather different and the present one is different from the last one - a matter of horses for course in my view but unavoidably persons on or about the line should, on any railway, be wearing a minimum level of PPE including clean hi-vis, safety boots, possibly gloves in some instances (and safety specs or hard hats where the nature of the work they are involved in poses eyesight or head injury risks).

Thanks Mike. It did make me wonder, because up here in the frozen North you do see quite a few platform staff in orange hi-vis waistcoats, whether they be platform assistance types (what was wrong with the term Porter?) or revenue collection people, who I would have thought would have no reason to have a PTS. This being on the national network, not a preserved line.

Archived