Please use M,M&M only for topics that do not fit within other forum areas. All topics posted here await admin team approval to ensure they don't belong elsewhere.

Have Apple unwittingly helped the Railway Modeller?

TomE

• RMweb Gold

Hi all.

Last night I updated my various Apple devices to the latest version of their operating software, iOS 6.

One of the features new features is a new maps app, which no longer uses Google but Apple's own data and imaging. Whilst browsing around a couple of the cities which are blessed with 3D buildings, it struck me that Apple might have, (or be about to, depending on how extensive the 3D coverage ultimately is) have handed modellers of prototypical locations a rather nice method of research, second only to visiting the location in question.

Here's a couple of pictures from around Manchester:

b9b8e4085ab0ed046ede98cabfd9b600_zps7e45c76b.jpg

e68d0c3e43307d1f8feb6f42fa9d46d7_zps50b51fa9.jpg

And by simply panning around with your fingers you get the same scene as seen from a different angle:

8c8700c6cfbd3375cff4307b6259ab45_zps410349f1.jpg

So, if you've ever wondered what's behind that building, or how it sits in relation to the railway, and where that tree line starts, it appears there may now indeed be 'an app for that' too!

Tom.

it struck me that Apple might have, (or be about to, depending on how extensive the 3D coverage ultimately is) have handed modellers of prototypical locations a rather nice method of research

Cant wait for the historical version ....

• RMweb Premium

...but no help to those of us who don't have an iPod/iPhone/iPad! :no:

Bing Maps has a similar feature - called Bird's Eye.

http://binged.it/PWSGBw shows the old Round House in Leeds.

It's worth rotating the images and zooming in and out - trains appear and dissapear as the pictures aren't taken on the same day.

Happy modelling.

Steven B.

• RMweb Gold

First place I looked was Banbury but that location (and nearby Leamington Spa) is no clearer than Google maps and if anything, not as good.. So probably depends on location as to how good it is.

Right now only the major cities are covered, but if Apple are serious about competing the digital maps arena then I would expect more to follow over time. London, Birmingham and Manchester are the 3 i've found in the UK so far. In many ways, for anyone building a modern image layout, this has the potential to be a great tool, and the level of detail is quite surprising.

76fa0d1c19a84573cae1499998a6a7a7_zps04838a17.jpg

Tom.

• RMweb Gold

Tom

yes, those you have posted are very good and that last bone especially if you have want to model the appraoch to Victoria. Its good enough to pick up most of the track side clutter scuh as pieces of rail, electrical cabiets etc and really great for getting the details on the roof of building whihc are seen by a veiwer of a model but cant easily be got by the modeller of the real building.

I am going to see if they have soem close up shots of the buildings in Santa Barbara so I can finish the roof details of the buildings I have modelled.

• RMweb Gold

Ooops

Among the user complaints regarding Apple's maps sent to the BBC were:

Users have complained about the quality of satellite images in the new software (bottom)

• Some towns appear to be missing, such as Stratford-upon-Avon and Solihull.
  • Others, like Uckfield in East Sussex, are in the wrong location.
  • Satellite images of various locations, particularly in Scotland, are obscured by cloud.
  • A search for Manchester United Football Club directs users to Sale United Football Club, a community team for ages five and above.
  • Users also reported missing local places, such as schools, or strange locations.
  • Another screenshot showed a furniture museum* that was apparently located in a river.

http://www.bbc.co.uk...nology-19659736

* link to a twitter account which is suspended.

As a confirmed apple hater, their technology is of no interest. Your first photo however, I find very inspiring and I suspect my layout plan may well look very similar to the Princes Bridge area of Manchester (possibly with a bit of Manchester Picadilly approach for good measure), so Thank you TomE. :declare:

• RMweb Gold

Apparenty the Brooklyn Bridge no longer exists and Luton has moved into the South West...well at least it is stil in Firsts territory but might not help if you are flying out of the airport any time soon.

Glad I have an Android phone and dont rely on just my ipad!

• RMweb Gold

ive just updated my ipad 2 and iphone 4s and now my photobucket app wont work, it works fine in the safari window though but i cant upload via that so unfortunaly i can't show the screen grab i have of where i live, apparently its now called "wrexham crewe" and is near weymouth which is now on the cheshire/staffordshire border!

the 3d thing is fun though, have a look at moor st, the 67 parked in the sidings is pretty impressive

I'm holding off on the update until the first patch release. Rule 1 of tech, never ever, get the x.0 version of anything.

Sort of like the old saying of never buy a car in the first year of its release.

As for the pics, I think they've over done the ballast weathering. :senile:

• RMweb Gold

There will be a stand alone Google Maps App before long i'm sure!

There are some impressive errors in this first release. Doncaster seems to have become Duncaster, and Aldershot is relocated to Farnborough, plus in some areas the satellite imagery is shocking, but, this is V.1 of Apple Maps, so comparing it to V.7 of google maps (or whichever they are on now) is a little unfair I feel.

There is an inbuilt error reporting facility allowing you to correct locations and place names and I have already used it to report several issues.

Tom.

Archived