Users will currently see a stripped down version of the site until an advertising issue is fixed. If you are seeing any suspect adverts please go to the bottom of the page and click on Themes and select IPS Default. ×
RMweb

Waverley Route new image links and discussion

'CHARD

Not really 'new' discussion, but there has been some minor progress on the possibility of extending the Waverley Route to Hawick:

http://www.scotsman.com/news/transport/call-to-extend-borders-rail-link-to-hawick-1-3053542

...oh and also tourist trains are to transverse the route once more!

http://www.thesouthernreporter.co.uk/news/business/first-minister-alex-salmond-announces-tourist-trains-for-borders-railway-1-3056049

I agree wholeheartedly that the route should be extended to Hawick, and I applaud those people who are putting effort into lobbying for this. The major problem with extending the railway though will be the bypass that is more or less right on the track bed to the east of Melrose station. Does anyone have an idea of how an extension from Tweedbank could realistically be routed in this area? It would have to cross the road at some point to reach the existing track bed to the south.

I agree wholeheartedly that the route should be extended to Hawick, and I applaud those people who are putting effort into lobbying for this. The major problem with extending the railway though will be the bypass that is more or less right on the track bed to the east of Melrose station. Does anyone have an idea of how an extension from Tweedbank could realistically be routed in this area? It would have to cross the road at some point to reach the existing track bed to the south.

It should not be that difficult to fit the railway in the major problem would be just beyond the station the bypass would need to be moved further south to allow the railway to fit where the road now is. This would cut off the entrance into Melrose from the bypass this would need to be to moved to the other side of the road. All of which means demolishing a couple of building on the south side of the bypass

post-368-0-90026600-1377541976.jpg

It should not be that difficult to fit the railway in the major problem would be just beyond the station the bypass would need to be moved further south to allow the railway to fit where the road now is. This would cut off the entrance into Melrose from the bypass this would need to be to moved to the other side of the road. All of which means demolishing a couple of building on the south side of the bypass

As with Falahill I reckon there's more than one way of skinning this particular felis catus.

I would be for making a junction with the B6374 (Dean Road) and the old and new A6091s east of the town, at the same time taking the A-road under the railway formation.  It's not as though there's a connection between the B6359 Dingleton Road and the by-pass in any case, and I doubt that location (at the station) would find favour with the planners.

I need to think about this a little more.

Does anyone know of a photograph which shows the inside of Hawick engine shed? I have a really good photograph of the interior of Hawick goods shed, but at the time it was taken the locomotive shed had already been demolished, so there are none of it. 

Thank you for any help you can provide.

• 3 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

I have a copy of this Photo myself, it is copyright N E Stead and it is one of a number I purchased many years ago from Bill Peacock @ The Hawick and District Railway Modelling Society. They had a list at that time you could order from.

Regards David

• 3 weeks later...

This may well have been linked before, but if it has then I missed it.  Some great footage on here: there's only about 4 1/2 minutes of Waverley route footage, starting around the 2min mark, but its' great stuff, especially that at St. Boswells.  Also lots of great shots from elsewhere in the country: a pleasant way to spend an hour!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qXw_cQbr6Do

• Like 1

• 1 month later...

I was looking at some of Bruce and Geoff's old photos again, and it shocked me that I'd never bothered until now to check the existence of the 08 shunter that hauled away the remnants of the Waverley Route from the Newcastleton-Whitrope-Hawick area. http://www.geoffspages.co.uk/monorail/bmcc05.htm

Sadly, according to wnxx.com, it passed away in November 2007 at Thomson's scrapyard at Stockton after being withdrawn in 2002 - wish I'd paid more attention now and we could have had a historic shunter back at Whitrope.

08720 (D3888) 01/02 ML WSSC C: 11/07 TJ Thomson Stockton
  • Like 1

• RMweb Premium
Bristol Lodekkas parked up in the compound on the left?  Binns department store ad-rears of the period, presumably for the Carlisle shop, acquired 1953 and now subsumed in House of Fraser.

9/quote]

Probably Western SMT Lodekkas.   There was a small Western SMT garage at Longtown, adjacent to the railway line, which was a sub depot of Carlisle.

Bristol Lodekkas parked up in the compound on the left?  Binns department store ad-rears of the period, presumably for the Carlisle shop, acquired 1953 and now subsumed in House of Fraser.

9/quote]

Probably Western SMT Lodekkas.   There was a small Western SMT garage at Longtown, adjacent to the railway line, which was a sub depot of Carlisle.

Oh now then....  Western SMT - at Longtown - in Cumberland?? ?? :sungum:

And sub-depot of Carlisle??!!!!

Longtown just became enriched even further!  Time for some research, methinks. 

So grateful for you sharing the gen (and thanks for the amazing Waverley route flickr collection too).

Edited by 'CHARD

It doesn't appear to link to any photo ... go on, give us a clue as to what we're missing ;-)

This is my personal account, not the PH Flickr or anything. I pay Photobucket to host these photos and then it deletes them or removes the links - great...

I think this appears on the Disused Stations site also: http://www.disused-stations.org.uk/h/hawick/index87.shtml

• Like 1

Pastoral Hawick trackbed....  Over Mill Path, under Wellogate Brae - the Teri topography is hillier than people would believe if you reproduced it on a model!

http://www.railbrit.co.uk/imageenlarge/imagecomplete.php?id=45776

Immediately south from here, the line runs along the precipitous retaining wall behind now-demolished mills.