Waverley Route new image links and discussion

'CHARD

Guest Max Stafford

Back to those grey vans for a moment. A new grain storage/processing facility was built at Tweedmouth close the the ECML junction in 1962. Bearing in mind, they could make a sedate journey to there from Kelso without risking themselves on the main line, could this rake be a short-range circuit working between the two points?

Dave.

Back to those grey vans for a moment. A new grain storage/processing facility was built at Tweedmouth close the the ECML junction in 1962. Bearing in mind, they could make a sedate journey to there from Kelso without risking themselves on the main line, could this rake be a short-range circuit working between the two points?

Dave.

Another thought on these; someone mentioned that access to the mill was by wagon turntable. Is it possible that these wagons were retained because the turntables were not capable of taking anything longer than a 9' wheelbase? It wasn't unknown, even into the very last days of 'airbrake-only' BR, for captive fleets to be retained because of constraints like that- the fleet of unfitted 21t minerals retained for anthracite traffic to Swansea Docks being a case in point.

Another thought on these; someone mentioned that access to the mill was by wagon turntable. Is it possible that these wagons were retained because the turntables were not capable of taking anything longer than a 9' wheelbase? It wasn't unknown, even into the very last days of 'airbrake-only' BR, for captive fleets to be retained because of constraints like that- the fleet of unfitted 21t minerals retained for anthracite traffic to Swansea Docks being a case in point.

It was me and you corrected me on the exact type of van. Totally OT but the wagon turntable at Snape, an example more familiar to me, was very short so your reasoning seems to me to be quite logical.

Bernard

Edited by 'CHARD

• 2 weeks later...

Again, not Waverley per se, but Borders is Borders, isn't it?

Amongst others, there's been drawings of Rothbury station put on Railbrit of late - not perfect but enough to tempt - or work from.

http://www.railbrit.co.uk/imageenlarge/imagecomplete2.php?id=28201

Now what date are we talking about here?

It shows the engine shed but dates I have give station opened 1870 and engine shed 1872.

Was there an earlier building? Burnt down?

Bernard

Now what date are we talking about here?

It shows the engine shed but dates I have give station opened 1870 and engine shed 1872.

Was there an earlier building? Burnt down?

Bernard

Drawing dated 1899, though I see no reference or allusion to a pre-existing building on the drawing, even on the indicative site plan. That could of course be covered on other drawings.

Drawing dated 1899, though I see no reference or allusion to a pre-existing building on the drawing, even on the indicative site plan. That could of course be covered on other drawings.

That makes sense. A proposed station building in 1899 has to be a replacement for the original that was built just before 1870 when the line opened. That ties in with the engine shed being on the plan and this was built a couple of years after the branch opened. Now all we need is somebody to come up with a drawing of the original. I reckon photos of this would be rather rare.

Bernard

Here's a faultless image of an NB single track tunnel portal on the Peebles loop, suitable for scaling, should anyone be in the market for such things. Incredible psychedelic weathering here, and I just remembered the similar pictures of Glenfarg's portals which would make decent double-track Waverley templates in the absence of clear shots of Bowshank. Will post the links to those later, if I can find them.

http://farm3.static.flickr.com/2221/2311503616_6d53b90974.jpg

Brilliant.

That's a good shot of Plashetts. It shows clearly how the water tower was attached to the station building and the remains of the wall left in a partly demolished state. It's just about the best detail shot that I have seen of this not often photographed staion.

Bernard

Indeed, in this instance we are indebted to the redoubtable Peter Howie Esq who, whilst seemingly having scant interest in the Waverley trunk, did capture the Border Counties branch - and, in fairness, Riccarton and nearby Steele Road for good measure.

As Nick Catford exhorts us on the excellent Disused Stations site, it's the years immediately post closure that we want to see pictures of, with most artefacts intact; not the inevitable 1990s car park where the station once bustled - or more likely slumbered. In my case, immediately post-tracklifting is very interesting, so these couple of Waverley 1971 pictures are good finds.

Not of relevance here, but also on the above site there is a great photo of Snow Hill in its car park phase, whilst still open for the Wolverhampton LL shuttle, and also some of Fleetwood in 1967 that I'd never seen either.

I'm sure we've seen this homely image before, maybe not. Look at the mail bags waiting for 2S52, and great detail shots for the footbridge.

http://www.railbrit.co.uk/imageenlarge/imagecomplete2.php?id=27841

Here, as raised on the Alston DMU thread, is footage of the Saturday light engine trip that used to return not only the Hawick pilot, as shown here at Gorebridge, but as the caption notes, any stray jockoes that warranted attention at home depot, 64G. Incidentally, one of my favourite Waverley Route shots, I've decided, what a traction combo!!!!

http://www.railbrit.co.uk/imageenlarge/imagecomplete2.php?id=17882

Here's a lovely shot of a Deltic at work contentedly on the Route:

http://www.railbrit....e2.php?id=24478

And for the first time, a nice broadside of D1970, at a very unexpected location!

http://www.railbrit....e2.php?id=27278

And here, imported from my layout thread is a phenomenon that everyone else probably knows about already, but this is the first time I'd seen such a thing:

Timeline 1967, it's Perth ScR, and here's a Deltic which probably worked into Hawick at least looking like this: link to nowhere removed. It was D9010 in green with full yellow ends and double-arrows.

I've yet to check when she went into BFYE, but that livery variation is outlandish, I love it! Yet another excuse for having a Type 5 cool.gif

Edited by 'CHARD
  • Like 1

Guest Max Stafford

I normally refer to that particular trip as 1S64 to the confusion of my friends...! ;)

Dave.

Seldom (if ever) before have I had this feeling. I looked at the image of 72002 for ages trying to establish, neigh quantify, what the special ingredient was...

First the optical illusion that every wheel tread is sitting true on the railhead, which put me in mind of a serpent.

Then, the twin escapes of steam, and the fact that she's poised ready to tackle the ascent to Whitrope, made me think that here is literally a living creature - an iron horse no less, pawing at the ground with her hoofs. I've never quite got it before, I'm critically a couple of years too young, but this picture has sold it me.

EDIT: make that four escapes of steam

• Like 1

Guest Max Stafford

We knew we'd turn you one day 'Chard...! ;)

Seriously, this photo really does have the X factor. So inspirational is this shot that I think I will have to dig out Clan Buchanan tomorrow and get to work with my magic FX wands...!

Dave.

For me it shows that the the Clans were a much neater design and so much better proportioned than the Brits.

That will get me in to trouble in some quarters.

Bernard

As Dave will tell you, I didn't know what happened at 100 deg C/ 212 F until this photo provided my Damascene moment, so forgive my ignorance but: a mate who knows about such things (if Didcot GWS counts) once said that the Clans were an entry-level Brit, which to me suggests the 720xx were the 1.3L Capri and the 700xx a 2.8i with dealer add-ons. Now that should alienate both petrolheads and vapourheads.

Mate, it's truly one of the best I've seen too. I can imagine standing there in that remote spot watching her throb by.

I wonder how many wagons were ever despatched from the long general merch siding in the foreground :huh: The only thing I've ever seen in there was the D36x Class 40 after its prang in September '65 just across the viaduct.