The non-railway and non-modelling social zone. Please ensure forum rules are adhered to in this area too!

Andy Williams dies

beast66606

Indeed, an almost unique voice which had a timbre to it which I can't describe other than being almost bell-like (?). I say almost unique because the only other singer who had a similar quality for me was Steve Winwood in his prime. If anyone can explain exactly what they had please say!

So RIP Andy, I forgive you for introducing us to the Osmonds, and I hope you have plenty of cookies up there to give to that bear.

• RMweb Premium

Quite shocked by this, even though he was getting on a bit. He was one of my dad's favourite singers, and I had to put up with countless renditions of Andy Williams' songs from dad.

Anybody remember the classic interview with Michael Parkinson when they discussed cricket balls...?

Jeff

Most of his material was not at all my style but in 1970 he issued "Can't Help Falling In Love" as a single. I can't remember now what kept it from No. 1 but it sounds as fresh and relaxed today as it did then. I would take it to my desert island.

Chris

Another of the Andy Williams' Show's catchphrases,....

"Yu'rrr weirrd Andy" (I can't remember who uttered it)*.

We, at work, had a boss called Andy. I said this phrase to him, once, and got the most threatening of looks, so, better not mention it, here.

R.I.P. Andy Williams, your songs live on.

* P.S.

His name's just come to me... Jonathan Winters, ... A.K.A. 'The Ol' Story-teller'. A well respected U.S. comedian.... AFAIK, He's still with us.

Guest Max Stafford

Very much remember the TV show as a kid in 1969-71. and yes, I remember The Bear getting the door banged in his face every week!

Happy memories; RIP Andy.

Dave.

Archived