Kernow Models D6xx Update

Andy Y

Heard on the radio this afternoon that cornish style pasties are made in Mexico. According to tinternet, the pasties came with Cornish copper and tin miners who settled in Hidalgo province to reopen and mine the silver mines. Apparently a cornish pasty museum opened in this region of Mexico around 2005 - pasty por favor senor

• RMweb Gold

Heard on the radio this afternoon that cornish style pasties are made in Mexico. According to tinternet, the pasties came with Cornish copper and tin miners who settled in Hidalgo province to reopen and mine the silver mines. Apparently a cornish pasty museum opened in this region of Mexico around 2005 - pasty por favor senor

Mostly true, ive had empanadas in several places in Mexico, Argentina and Peru, they are every bit the cornish pasty, down to a knot on the end. There are several styles, from small pierogi sized, upto full sized, some baked, even fried.

Heres a wiki, but claims spanish origin.

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Empanada

Edited by adb968008

• RMweb Premium

At the risk of being off topic on this thread about Cornish Pasties, a quick update from Kernow on the D6xx from Milton Keynes today. Slim chance it may arrive this year. Thereafter timing dependant on our respective new years. 

Now back to discussing Pasties...

• Like 2

• RMweb Premium

At the risk of being off topic on this thread about Cornish Pasties, a quick update from Kernow on the D6xx from Milton Keynes today. Slim chance it may arrive this year. Thereafter timing dependant on our respective new years. 

Now back to discussing Pasties...

Excellent news.  In the course of a 700-mile round trip to pick up a hire car (long story, even farther off-topic) I snuck into Philps and emerged clutching croust.  Or crib if you come from slightly farther east in Cornwall.  Lunch if you're English.  

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...

For anyone in or near Camborne take a look in Kernow Model's window, there was a green SYP D6XX running yesterday. A preproduction painted sample of course and an uncompleted livery sample at that. I took a picture but was asked not to put it on social media, so you will have to go look for yourselves.

Fully finished preproduction samples I was told are probably 4 months away maybe more depending on China's new year etc..  

For anyone in or near Camborne take a look in Kernow Model's window, there was a green SYP D6XX running yesterday. A preproduction painted sample of course and an uncompleted livery sample at that. I took a picture but was asked not to put it on social media, so you will have to go look for yourselves.

Fully finished preproduction samples I was told are probably 4 months away maybe more depending on China's new year etc..  

Why would they not want it put on social media. ?

Why would they not want it put on social media. ?

Probably because it doesn't reflect the final, finished product - and would be likely to generate a tidal wave of negative "xxxxx's wrong" posts on here.

That's what pre-production samples are for - so the client can pick holes in it and have the factory make amendments; not to allow the clever-***** to have a field day 'knocking' the product.

Regards,

John Isherwood.

• RMweb Premium

Probably because it doesn't reflect the final, finished product - and would be likely to generate a tidal wave of negative "xxxxx's wrong" posts on here.

That's what pre-production samples are for - so the client can pick holes in it and have the factory make amendments; not to allow the clever-***** to have a field day 'knocking' the product.

Regards,

John Isherwood.

Agreed, but if that is so, then maybe having it visible at the shop might not be a good idea...? Better to keep any public eyes off it until it's ready for public scrutiny.

• RMweb Gold

Agreed, but if that is so, then maybe having it visible at the shop might not be a good idea...? Better to keep any public eyes off it until it's ready for public scrutiny.

There’s a difference between running it in a controlled environment where you can discuss it with your customers 1-2-1 and sticking it uncontrolled online, without any ability to respond before an audience of thousands worldwide.

If your desperate, it’s also a good encouragement to go see it in the shop.

Edited by adb968008
  • Like 1

I suspect that the window display layout is used as Kernow's test-track.

What better way to test durability than to leave the pre-production model circling the layout for days on end?

Regards,

John Isherwood.

• RMweb Premium

I suspect that the window display layout is used as Kernow's test-track.

What better way to test durability than to leave the pre-production model circling the layout for days on end?

Regards,

John Isherwood.

Correct. It is both an shop-window advertisement for the business “we sell trains” and the test track for which there is no orher space on the premises without compromising stock-in-hand storage.

I too have been witness to some items of interest running around the shop window and have been trusted to say and post nothing. The first Beattie well tanks and an EP unpainted thumper were among those.

• Like 1

• RMweb Gold

Correct. It is both an shop-window advertisement for the business “we sell trains” and the test track for which there is no orher space on the premises without compromising stock-in-hand storage.

I too have been witness to some items of interest running around the shop window and have been trusted to say and post nothing. The first Beattie well tanks and an EP unpainted thumper were among those.

Wagonload Cornish Pasty Vans ? Tops code CPV ?

:)

• Like 1

Wagonload Cornish Pasty Vans ? Tops code CPV ?

:)

Email the managing director on that. You never know what might sell as a livery commission on a standard van ;)

Couldn't technically be CPV because they were presflos, but I imagine there are several options.

an insulated container on a Conflat, and a 12T fishvan "SPV" might be two.

Also a 20 foot container to go on the shortlived Freightliner service replicated by the new Bachmann freightliner flats  

• RMweb Gold

Couldn't technically be CPV because they were presflos, but I imagine there are several options.

an insulated container on a Conflat, and a 12T fishvan "SPV" might be two.

Also a 20 foot container to go on the shortlived Freightliner service replicated by the new Bachmann freightliner flats

How about VFP... Van for Pasty ?, or IAP .. It Ain’t Pie ?

Maybe it’s me but some pasties I’ve eaten in London could have doubled up as buffers.

Edited by adb968008

• RMweb Premium

How about VFP... Van for Pasty ?, or IAP .. It Ain’t Pie ?

Maybe it’s me but some pasties I’ve eaten in London could have doubled up as buffers.

The final letter should be A or V according to whether air or vacuum brakes are fitted.

PPV (Philp's Pasty Van)?

HPA (Hot Pasties Anywhere)?

PCA (Pasty Croust Ahoy)?

The list could go on.  Most codes already mean something else.

• Like 1

• RMweb Gold

We are back to pasties , time to leave the thread again

I take it you’ve never stood on the end of a platform, with other enthusiasts and shooted the breeze during a dead spot when nothing arrives or departs.

If it helps pass the time...

D604: in service Jan 20th 1959, withdrawn officially 31st December 1967... active service of 3267 days

D600 had the longest service life, with 3628 service days.

Earliest reference I’ve found to the Kernow model, was announced March 15th 2008, active wait 3879 days

If a model is 251 days longer to arrive than the real thing worked, I think it’s reasonable to discuss a pasty whilst awaiting a late running train.

So does anyone know, is this model a CO-CO or an A1A-A1A like the prototype ?

Edited by adb968008
  • Like 4

• RMweb Gold

We are back to pasties , time to leave the thread again

Agreed, Brian, I keep opening this thread thinking there's some news (there is occasionally) and being disappointed when it's just pastie banter. One

or two posts, fine, but do we need pages of it?

Agreed, Brian, I keep opening this thread thinking there's some news (there is occasionally) and being disappointed when it's just pastie banter. One

or two posts, fine, but do we need pages of it?

Hi mate ,absolutely,getting very silly .