Kernow Models D6xx Update

Andy Y

• RMweb Gold

Sorry, the overwhelming evidence is to the contrary.

ALL as-delivered colour photos that I've seen show, without a shadow of doubt, green battery boxes.

NOTE TO KERNOW - Please save us the job of overpainting black battery boxes in green; (or include a tin of matching green paint in the box)!

Regards,

John Isherwood.

If there is any doubt, it's best the battery boxes be finished in green on the models.

Should any evidence subsequently point to them being black on individual locos and/or at specific times, that will be far easier to deal with than trying to match the green.

I see a green box and I (might) want it painted black (apologies to Jagger & Co).  :jester:

John

Edited by Dunsignalling

• RMweb Gold

Exactly so - and as exactly as I still remember it because D601 was the first mainline diesel loco I ever saw.  You do of course need to allow for the way the light is catching it which can tend to alter one's perception of the colour - best to compare it with similar highlighted areas which are known to be black.

REALLY ?????

If that battery box is black - I'm a Dutchman !!

Regards,

John Isherwood.

Goedmorgen ;). It is as black as the day it was when new.

Edited by The Stationmaster

• RMweb Gold

It is not often I disagree with so knowledgable person as Mike (The Stationmaster) but I feel we shall have to agree to differ on this one. Battery box and fuel tank covers might well have been specified as black (or cream, or grey) and recalled as being black (probably road grime and oil staining in reality) but photographic evidence shows ex-works, in-traffic and withdrawn locos in green livery to have had green lower panels as well. The jury still seems to be out on the blue ones.

The fuel tanks were definitely grey or pale cream - most likely the latter as it was a colour commonly used on various internal components - like certain other BR designs the fuel tanks were inside the loco body and not underneath it.

I blame artificial light. I e-mailed Kernow to the effect that the battery boxes were clearly black, citing a photograph of D602 Bulldog in Diesel Pioneers, Robert Stephens, Atlantic, 1988.

Now I have had a look at the picture linked in post 916 by 25901 and expanded it. (My laptop is connected to my television.) I’m bound to agree with Mr Isherwood that the battery boxes are green.

Having crept out into daylight, I had another look at Diesel Pioneers and, blimey, they are green. I shall have to e-mail Kernow again.

Before I go to eat humble pie, the said book was a birthday present from my cheeky daughters, who inscribed it, “For dad who is getting REALLY old! This was for your 43rd birthday, imagine!!!”

You can imagine my delight in showing it to the author of the comment on her 43rd. birthday. Sadly, that must mean that (in modern parlance) I’m REELY, REELY old.  :(

• Like 2

• RMweb Premium

Easy, they are painted with transparent paint

You get it at the same place that sells striped & checked paint

Glad I could help

John

Hi,

I wonder if they are the the same folk that make the paint for Edinburgh's buses; it makes them invisible to the pedestrians who walk in front of them!

Regards,

Alex.

Not sure if anyone is aware there is  colour film of D600 on the sea wall at Dawlish 1959 on the 125 video collection Diesel and Electric 2 and you can see the battery boxes are green also there is other colour photos of a D600 at Truro which show they are green.

Later photos after works visits show them black so it looks like green when new and black after works repaint.

Modern Locomotives Illustrated N0 219. I think the newly painted one photographed can't be described as anything other than green. Most of the other colour photographs appear to be green but there is more weathering in them.However there is at least one that could be black although it was not newly painted or new.

What colour is the FPL cover to the left of the loco?  Like the battery box covers it too has weathered and acquired a patina of dirt.

Then why are the bogies clearly black - after all, the bogies and battery boxes are subject to the same weathering processes?

If anything, I'd expect the bogies to acquire a lighter shade than the smooth battery boxes under weathering, as their surface details would trap the dirt.

Let's face it - no matter what evidence is presented - you're not going to concede the point at this stage, are you?

Regards,

John Isherwood.