Kernow Models D6xx Update

Andy Y

I have the book of the Warships and it lists some of those dates - but not all.

Broadly

a) completed between Nov 1960 and Jan 1961

b) D602 in Dec 1964, D603 Oct 65 D601 Jan 66 D604 Nov 66 D600 May 67

c) Between Feb 62 and Apr 62, D600 May 62, D601 Aug 62.

As late as that?

I am going to have to change my pre-order back to D601 without headcodes and half yellow ends - I only just changed it to D602 !!

Sorry, Kernow,

John Isherwood.

• RMweb Gold

I presume Kernow picked D602 as it was the first to get the headcode boxes....

From what I can work out from the info given the approx time periods for the models are

K2600   05/67-12/67
K2601   03/58-12/60
K2602   12/64-09/66 (In works 09/66 to 02/67)
K2603   04/62-11/64 (In works 11/64 to 10/65)
K2604   01/61-02/62
Edited by stovepipe

• 2 weeks later...
  • RMweb Premium

The specific request seeks confirmation of what colour the fuel tank and immediately surrounding areas was painted.  All the main body colour detail is known.

I remember seeing them in service with everything below the waistline apparently black.  But that was probably road grime and it's a long time since I saw them of course.  

Images have already been posted on KMRC's Facebook page in response to this request clearly showing that at least some were finished in green as new and still retained visible traces of the green paint when dumped in the scrapyard.  Definitive images of blue 600s are awaited as are any more of the green ones clearly showing the colour of the fuel tank area.

• RMweb Gold

I'm wondering what is going on here?  Photographs are pretty clear, even if my memory of brand new D6XX is rather old, and the original  paint spec is also clear - and they all agree.  Everything below the body panelling was painted black except the buffer stocks and buffer beam which were painted red (although the latter was not precisely specified on the original painting spec but is clearly not black on monotone photos).  I will be in touch with Kernow on Monday to confirm.

Incidentally noting Rick's comment (Gwiwer) above) I have a suspicion that the fuel tanks were probably pale grey or cream as there are is a published photo taken during construction showing them in what appears to be white undercoat (definitely very pale indeed).  I'm not sure of the extent of the internal detailing of the model so it is possible that the fuel tanks won't be visible.

• RMweb Premium

This debate has sent me scurrying for my copy of "Book of the Warships'. On page 14 Misha Black's painting scheme is quoted wherein it states quite clearly that 'undergear details' were to be black. On the same page it mentions alterations required to the scheme by BR management and it seems the only mod required was to paint 'buffer housings' red.

I did see at least D600 in service but as I was about 7 at the time it may as well have been painted sky blue pink! My only clear recollection is a kind of sound bite of my Dad's voice reading out the nameplate as it passed... "Active... Warship Class".

By the way, didn't we have a similar debate about the Dapol D63XX?

• Like 1

• RMweb Gold

Battery boxes are green in the pictures I’ve been looking at.

Is that on 'as delivered' locos or post Swindon shopping?  I certainly can't remember seeing any in Swindon with green battery boxes and it might even have been a depot level thing of course.   But when new they were definitely black.

• RMweb Gold

Is that on 'as delivered' locos or post Swindon shopping? I certainly can't remember seeing any in Swindon with green battery boxes and it might even have been a depot level thing of course. But when new they were definitely black.

Have a look at Colour Rails website, there’s at least 50 pictures of them, all the ex-works images are green, admittedly in service they seem to turn black with weathering.

I note also the red line on the axle box covers.

Edited by adb968008

• RMweb Premium

It is not often I disagree with so knowledgable person as Mike (The Stationmaster) but I feel we shall have to agree to differ on this one. Battery box and fuel tank covers might well have been specified as black (or cream, or grey) and recalled as being black (probably road grime and oil staining in reality) but photographic evidence shows ex-works, in-traffic and withdrawn locos in green livery to have had green lower panels as well. The jury still seems to be out on the blue ones.

I'm wondering what is going on here?  Photographs are pretty clear, even if my memory of brand new D6XX is rather old, and the original  paint spec is also clear - and they all agree.  Everything below the body panelling was painted black except the buffer stocks and buffer beam which were painted red (although the latter was not precisely specified on the original painting spec but is clearly not black on monotone photos).  I will be in touch with Kernow on Monday to confirm.

Incidentally noting Rick's comment (Gwiwer) above) I have a suspicion that the fuel tanks were probably pale grey or cream as there are is a published photo taken during construction showing them in what appears to be white undercoat (definitely very pale indeed).  I'm not sure of the extent of the internal detailing of the model so it is possible that the fuel tanks won't be visible.

Sorry, the overwhelming evidence is to the contrary.

ALL as-delivered colour photos that I've seen show, without a shadow of doubt, green battery boxes.

NOTE TO KERNOW - Please save us the job of overpainting black battery boxes in green; (or include a tin of matching green paint in the box)!

Regards,

John Isherwood.

• RMweb Premium

I'm beginning to think that maybe the locos were delivered with black battery boxes and that at some point relatively early in their life a decision was make to paint them green. It seems possible they were delivered with black battery boxes - as was specified and a logical decision from steam loco practice - but at some early point a management decision was made to paint them green.

Having looked through some photos purchased from Colour Rail they show:

•  D600 in July 1958 with the battery boxes in what appears to be dirty green. It had only been in regular service for about a month.
  •  D601 undated but probably 1958/9 shows what could be any dark colour. May be green but I wouldn't want to argue...
  •  D603 in May 1959 definitely green.

I have a couple of other photos but they are inconclusive either because of dirt or colour loss through age. All this has left me thinking about the portion of the mainframe visible above the battery box - the photo of D600 seems to be green but... Other pictures are too shaded to tell.

For what it's worth I have pictures of D63XX locos which clearly show black and green battery boxes.

.... and you really can't see the virtually identical colour tone / shade between the bodysides and the battery-box?

Regards,

John Isherwood.

If you look at the RH end of the LH bogie, where there appears to be some spilt oil - that's black, but nothing like the battery box.

Regards,

John isherwood.

• RMweb Premium

REALLY ?????

If that battery box is black - I'm a Dutchman !!

Regards,

John Isherwood.

The photographer is one here - Brush Veteran - perhaps he remembers ?!?

i am not going to give my sources here, but its a green battery box.

bogies black, and underframe black

I have just opened the photo in Corel Photopaint, and sampled the colours of the batterybox and the adjacent bodyside.

The RGB analyses of both are virtually identical.

Regards,

John Isherwood.

The photographer is one here - Brush Veteran - perhaps he remembers ?!?

Well I have to admit that it looks green to me in my image.....................but as to remembering if it was actually green 56 years ago...............I doubt I was even aware of it at the time!

• Like 1