The non-railway and non-modelling social zone. Please ensure forum rules are adhered to in this area too!

Things that make you :)

Andy Y

• RMweb Premium

North - South depends where you live.

In Cumbria, Manchester is the south, likewise in Manchester, Cumbria is the north.

But if you live in Brum both are in the north and London is south.

In London everybody that lives to the north is a savage, daubed in woad wearing a loincloth..........:o

• Agree 4

No debate about it.

The boundary is where the term of endearment changes from love to duck (North Midlands). Virtually this map, but including Gog land (North Wales), they're Northerners as is the Isle Of Man. But some on the southern border are welcome to be Northern if they want such as parts of Derbyshire and Staffs.

395px-Northern_England.svg.png

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Northern_England

Jason

• Like 1
  • Funny 3

5 hours ago, Steamport Southport said:

No debate about it.

The boundary is where the term of endearment changes from love to duck (North Midlands). Virtually this map, but including Gog land (North Wales), they're Northerners as is the Isle Of Man. But some on the southern border are welcome to be Northern if they want such as parts of Derbyshire and Staffs.

395px-Northern_England.svg.png

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Northern_England

Jason

Well that map is an approximation at the very best, a load of tripe at the worst. For a start it appears to be based on the false / artificial administrative boundaries that were created in 1974 rather than traditional counties. There's no boundary, it is a blur. The situation in North Lincolnshire for instance is far more complex and mixed than that map would suggest. Here, the last traces of East Anglian disappear, part of the area is coastal so obviously cannot be described as East "Mid"lands, we're clearly not Southern and there's a world of difference between the local natives here, their speech, their culture, and those on the North bank of the river Humber or West of the Trent.

And some of those who create forms for us to fill in ask us state the "region" in which we live. We don't live in any of the "regions" that are ever listed as options!

• Like 1
  • Friendly/supportive 1

• RMweb Gold
11 minutes ago, 34theletterbetweenB&D said:

'The North' is basically where the lingering pollution of Norman French influence is not significant. These are the English still largely as they came ashore, independent, forthright, unaffected and deeply 'small c' conservative in custom and practise. It is rather wonderful that this is still evident.

Some of us are still attempting to drive out the "lingering pollution of Norman French". I was moved sarf to Artfordshurr as part of an expeditionary force :lol:

• Like 1
  • Informative/Useful 1
  • Funny 2

4 hours ago, Kingzance said:

Some of us are still attempting to drive out the "lingering pollution of Norman French". I was moved sarf to Artfordshurr as part of an expeditionary force :lol:

That might do as the forward concentration base from which to mount the assault on the 'Westminster Bubble'. The moment has arrived, the current government is looking for fresh blood in the civil service battalions (ignore the careless reference to weirdos).

• Informative/Useful 1
  • Funny 1

• RMweb Gold
41 minutes ago, 34theletterbetweenB&D said:

That might do as the forward concentration base from which to mount the assault on the 'Westminster Bubble'. The moment has arrived, the current government is looking for fresh blood in the civil service battalions (ignore the careless reference to weirdos).

I am proud of my weirdo classification :lol: but at over three score and ten, Dominic Cummings and his more secret sister Constant may chose fresher blood! :notme:

• Like 1

4 hours ago, Mark Saunders said:

Not quite "the Groom of the stool"

But the bot won't beg for royal patronage and favours.

At worst, at the rise of the machines, the bot's worst act will be to withhold paper.

Edited by Ozexpatriate
  • Funny 2

34 minutes ago, kevinlms said:

How many guys here are prepared to try buying these gifts for the other half?...

Amateur efforts, barely registering on the offensiveness scale. I worked for a business that televised an ad in which a chimpanzee operated the product, with a concluding sell line to the effect of, 'The monkey can do it, your secretary should have no trouble'.

It was quite a surprise to me, when making the transition from education to gainful employment, that where the qualified woman in education had proper respect, in business it was hairy arsed bear time, and a woman had to be determined to hold her ground (early 1970s). The smart women who succeeded had a killer line: 'To get half the respect accorded to a typical man, you have to be twice as good at the work; fortunately this is not difficult'.

• Like 5

• RMweb Premium
2 hours ago, 34theletterbetweenB&D said:

Amateur efforts, barely registering on the offensiveness scale. I worked for a business that televised an ad in which a chimpanzee operated the product, with a concluding sell line to the effect of, 'The monkey can do it, your secretary should have no trouble'.

It was quite a surprise to me, when making the transition from education to gainful employment, that where the qualified woman in education had proper respect, in business it was hairy arsed bear time, and a woman had to be determined to hold her ground (early 1970s). The smart women who succeeded had a killer line: 'To get half the respect accorded to a typical man, you have to be twice as good at the work; fortunately this is not difficult'.

Another way of looking at it, 'Do you want to speak to the man in charge, or the woman that knows what's going on'?

Very true, when I used to arrive to install a new phone system, when the receptionist/telephonist sat at the old one all day and the boss, just tried to use his single phone!

• Like 1
  • Agree 1

• RMweb Premium
1 hour ago, kevinlms said:

Very true, when I used to arrive to install a new phone system, when the receptionist/telephonist sat at the old one all day and the boss, just tried to use his single phone!

Great timing, I just bought a used Nortel phone system yesterday.:biggrin_mini:

• RMweb Premium
22 minutes ago, kevinlms said:

What system?

Norstar-PLUS    Modular ICS    NT7B53FA-93    The phones are M7310. The bank that I use had moved and I asked the manager if you decide to get rid of the system at the old location, I might be interest in it. He called me last Friday and arrangements were made for me to remove it yesterday. I have not done anything with it yet (it is still in the car) and I suspect that re-programming it will be a bear as it appears to use proprietary software. I will ask on a telephone collector forum that I belong to if anyone can help.