The non-railway and non-modelling social zone. Please ensure forum rules are adhered to in this area too!

Things that make you :)

Andy Y

Probably old news to some but I had to chuckle when filling up at the newly refurbished local Esso petrol station earlier. No photos for obvious reasons as the lovely new sign on each pump reminded me that I mustn't use my phone on the forecourt or risk laying waste to half the town so was surprised that the same sign also showed how I could use Esso's phone app to pay for the fuel at the pump. Go figure!

• Like 1
  • Agree 3
  • Funny 9

8 hours ago, Gareth Collier said:

... the lovely new sign on each pump reminded me that I mustn't use my phone on the forecourt or risk laying waste to half the town ...

What manner of absurdity is this?

How many global incidents are there of mobile phones creating sparks? (I'm not talking about those employed in improvised explosive devices.)

See 0:15 here.

Edited by Ozexpatriate

• RMweb Premium
18 minutes ago, Ozexpatriate said:

How many global incidents are there of mobile phones creating sparks? (I'm not talking about those employed in improvised explosive devices.)

It's not sparks per se but Theoretically the radio waves from the phones can cause problems that could start a fire.

32 minutes ago, melmerby said:

It's not sparks per se but Theoretically the radio waves from the phones can cause problems that could start a fire.

That's utter nonsense.

What it seems mostly likely is that in countries where people can start the pump going, then get back in the car to get out of the cold (such as the US), the driver would get out to put the pump back and due to a build up of static cause a spark when they earthed themselves. Right next to the open petrol cap. Boom.

Petroleum Equipment Institute - Stop Static Campaign

• Like 1

There was a theory a few years ago that mobile phones could be used to interfere with the signal going from the pump to the till thereby you got the petrol cheaper. But it was an urban myth.

The other mobile phone myth was debunked years ago. Here's Dr Karl's take on it.

https://www.abc.net.au/science/articles/2006/11/30/1799366.htm

Jason

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Ozexpatriate said:

I seem to recall on Top Gear them filling up a caravan with cans of petrol and as many mobile phones as they could lay their hands on and were disappointed when nothing happened. It may be absurd but every filling station forecourt has a sign saying no mobile phones.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, melmerby said:

Nonsense.

Every square mm of our existence is bombarded constantly by radio waves. Think of all the broadcast TV and radio stations. It is absurd to think that one little mobile telephone transmitter will make a difference to this existing RF cacophony.

Most petrol stations here have a receiver/transmitter, often on the roof of the apron to make sure all the transactions  (financial and volumes) are uploaded to the accounting servers. Arguably if this is a microwave connection, it is not directed down to the pumps.

Edited by Ozexpatriate

20 minutes ago, Gareth Collier said:

.... every filling station forecourt has a sign saying no mobile phones

Truly absurd.

As the 5G telephony infrastructure is rolled out, I wonder if 5G 'small cell' transmitters will be installed in UK petrol stations. (They would be a natural place for them.)

Even the US FAA has given up on policing mobile telephones in flight. Fortunately talking on a mobile telephone is still forbidden, but that's not because of flight safety concerns but to eliminate the inevitable flight rage that would take place having to sit next to someone for hours talking on the phone non-stop.

Edited by Ozexpatriate

There’s a gas outlet on a massive building in Notts which I go by on the bus often. It is surrounded by signs saying ‘FLAMMABLE GAS, NO SMOKING’
but sure enough there were at least five people huddled around it smoking.

if that building ever explodes it wouldn’t be hard finding out why... 

Edited by PannierTanker14

• RMweb Premium
1 hour ago, Ozexpatriate said:

Nonsense.

Every square mm of our existence is bombarded constantly by radio waves. Think of all the broadcast TV and radio stations. It is absurd to think that one little mobile telephone transmitter will make a difference to this existing RF cacophony.

Most petrol stations here have a receiver/transmitter, often on the roof of the apron to make sure all the transactions  (financial and volumes) are uploaded to the accounting servers. Arguably if this is a microwave connection, it is not directed down to the pumps.

That wasn't my opinion but the reason they were supposedly banned, hence the italics.

Actually the signal level from a mobile next to a petrol pump is probably many times that reaching it from the ether.

• Friendly/supportive 1

• RMweb Premium
3 hours ago, Sidecar Racer said:

Mobile phones are the least of your worries with people like these

around .

Yes, the petrol tanks are definitely there!

• Agree 1
  • Funny 1

3 hours ago, melmerby said:

That wasn't my opinion but the reason they were supposedly banned, hence the italics.

Actually the signal level from a mobile next to a petrol pump is probably many times that reaching it from the ether.

My apologies, I wasn't trying to pick on you personally - just the notion that mobile 'phones might spark a fire.

The transmitted signal from the mobile 'phone would very likely be greater than any ambient signal from a single source (with the possible exception of data signals transmitted from the petrol station). I wonder however, how it compares to the combined magnitude of the ambient signals.

EDIT:

There is research to power mobile telephones on ambient radiation.  I saw one reference for an experimental device with a power budget of 3µW. It stated that it is possible to harvest 1 - 10µW from ambient radiation (including light).

I would happily stipulate that being distracted by a telephone call or texting while fueling a vehicle with highly flammable substances is not a good thing.

Edited by Ozexpatriate

• RMweb Gold
2 hours ago, manna said:

G'day Folks

yes the guys that installed the Air Con, have put it in the wrong way round, the start/stop buttons are on the outside.

Would the unit also blow air the wrong way too?

• Like 1

• RMweb Premium
1 hour ago, manna said:

G'Day Folks

Yep the cool air would be blowing out and the hot air inside.

Unless you had it set on heating, then you could heat the outside as well..

• RMweb Gold
4 hours ago, manna said:

G'Day Folks

Yep the cool air would be blowing out and the hot air inside.

Sounds like a place in Canberra!! although there would be enough hot air inside anyway.

Mike

• Like 1