The non-railway and non-modelling social zone. Please ensure forum rules are adhered to in this area too!

Things that make you :)

Andy Y

8 hours ago, Steamport Southport said:

Another one guilty by association?   Oooh yes!

I always hated those adverts.

When I was a kid, we'd visit my grandmother in Southport, who lived in a former vicarage, so a rather big house, just to this tiny old lady.

Well the study, it was always kept closed and locked, no-one went in there unless it was a special occasion as it was my grandfather's favourite place (I never knew him sadly). Anyway whenever we'd be in the garden, there were 3 nodding dog ornaments on the windowsill of the study. No one went in there, they nodded randomly. For some reason as a kid it freaked me a bit, I have no idea why.

But there you go anyway, a rather silly story from a random picture on the internet!

• Informative/Useful 1
  • Friendly/supportive 8

• RMweb Gold
21 hours ago, J. S. Bach said:

Hmmm, why did Winston Churchill just pop into my mind? :biggrin_mini:

We shall bite them, on the features...

13 hours ago, Kelly said:

But there you go anyway, a rather silly story from a random picture on the internet!

I sympathise.  One of our neighbours goes to town a bit at xmass with lights, inflatable santas, angels and stuff in his front garden.  Few years ago I was on my way past it coming back from the pub on a dark and stormy night, and he'd got a couple of wire-frame Rudolphs with led lights on the frames and lit red noses.  Unknown to me, the head was motorised and would turn occasionally on a cam. and as I walked past, one of them turned it's head to watch me, my awareness of this being peripheral and led by the red nose. 

Freaky!!!  Burn it, destroy it, send it back to hell, it's evil...

Scared the bejaysus out of me.  Another one, from longer ago, was a 'friend of my girlfriend' who'd bought her little girl (3 years old and so cute she sh*t kittens, a full on heartbreaker) a doll with a beating heart and feelable pulse for xmas, and we visited on Boxing Day.  The little girl wanted to show Uncle Johnster her new baby, and passed it to me, and I was instantly aware, berdum, berdum, berdum, of it's beating heart.  It's beating heart and it's cold, dead, eyes.  AAAAAAARRRRGGGGHHHH!!! 

Seriously, even Chucky would have freaked out at this thing!

• Like 1
  • Funny 10
  • Friendly/supportive 3

• RMweb Premium
20 minutes ago, The Johnster said:

We shall bite them, on the features... ...snip...

I am not quite sure, but I do not believe that is exactly what he said.*:clapping:

BTW, the "smiley" rating was for the WSC paraphrase, nothing else. The rest may or may not be funny now but I am sure that it was not back then.

* Seriously, I just read what WSC actually said in his single volume History of WW2 sometime during the past few days.

• RMweb Premium

That reminded me of a phone call that I had made to someone's (I honestly do not remember whose anymore) customer service call center. Almost every third word out of the guy's mouth was "sir"; it was so repetitive as to be obnoxious! :nono: I finally told him to stop with the constant siring as I had not knelt in front of the Queen! :rtfm: His answer? You guessed it: "Yes sir, I will, sir"!! :mad:

Edited by J. S. Bach
  • Funny 6
  • Friendly/supportive 2

16 hours ago, Sidecar Racer said:

sword.jpg.ea8da49810708ca8e6a928e99413adb7.jpg

This reminds of another story... but first, they missed the opportunity to use 'Lizzy took an axe' here...

My step grandfather (fathers side, rather than my mums side as in the previous story) after the war (where he was in the RMP and was at pretty much every major battle or event in the war except for the Pacific theatre) joined the Metropolitan police specials rose to the rank of inspector. To the end he was known by every copper in the area and at Scotland Yard (where he had a reputation for always winning the raffle! ). Anyway, one time he had to go to court. The barrister for the defendant was none other than the former prime minister Blair. When Bill saw him on the telly when he won the election in 97, Bill said 'never liked him, was always a self important nuisance and disliked by everyone who had the dubious pleasure to work with him! ' or words to that effect. 

• Like 5

• RMweb Gold
16 minutes ago, Kelly said:

When Bill saw him on the telly when he won the election in 97, Bill said 'never liked him, was always a self important nuisance and disliked by everyone who had the dubious pleasure to work with him! ' or words to that effect. 

He could just have said politician, it covers them all!

Mike.

• Like 1
  • Agree 6

• RMweb Gold
14 hours ago, Hroth said:

Thats too good for him!

I thought Blair was a Cr4p PM, but the political machine keeps on churning out successors and would-be successors that make him look like a ruddy genius....:unsure:

Edited by Dunsignalling
  • Agree 9
  • Round of applause 1

18 minutes ago, Dunsignalling said:

I thought Blair was a Cr4p PM, but the political machine keeps on churning out successors and would-be successors that make him look like a ruddy genius....:unsure:

Can't help thinking his predecessors had the same effect too...