Users will currently see a stripped down version of the site until an advertising issue is fixed. If you are seeing any suspect adverts please go to the bottom of the page and click on Themes and select IPS Default. ×
RMweb

Things that make you :)

Andy Y

28 minutes ago, CameronL said:

Totally agree. I used to fly Easyjet from Liverpool to London on business a lot. It was much cheaper than getting the train. 

Liverpool Airport has this sign all over the place -

download.png.e81dd0c70800dcda0f1cd0f9e31f6a49.png

I'd feel more comfortable thinking that above us was the odd plane or two.

A couple of years ago it was wonderful to look up at a clear blue sky without loads of vapour trails.....

• Agree 12

19 minutes ago, Hroth said:

I prefer to have the fuselage above (and around) me when flying in a commercial aeroplane.

Liverpool/John Lennon Airport?  We still call it Speke.....  :-)

Is this bus going to Speke?

Yes.

What's it going to say....

I'm just about old enough to have flown from the old Speke Airport that is now the hotel.

• Informative/Useful 1
  • Funny 8

4 hours ago, CameronL said:

download.png.e81dd0c70800dcda0f1cd0f9e31f6a49.png

Having thought about this there's another line from the song which is very appropriate to John Lennon Airport. "Imagine no possessions" could be just right for the baggage handlers.

• Like 1
  • Agree 1
  • Funny 3

• RMweb Gold
On 24/05/2022 at 23:47, newbryford said:

Back O/T.

Who'd want to fly in this?

GEZUS1.jpg.43de904f0e1de5d7f5c4499b0ae93005.jpg

GEZUS2.jpg.8850f465b3be865d0983c8086c529a48.jpg

Yes me coming back from Tenerife a few weeks ago spotted the call sign hoped it was a good omen!

• Like 6

• RMweb Gold
11 hours ago, Hroth said:

I prefer to have the fuselage above (and around) me when flying in a commercial aeroplane.

Liverpool/John Lennon Airport?  We still call it Speke.....  :-)

We still call Cardiff Wales International by it's orignal name, Rhoose.  Bristol is Lulsgate. 

I have pleasant childhood memories of Rhoose when it was Rhoose, when the terminal building was what is now the flying club.  It was, and is, a quintessentially '50s futuristic' facade hiding a selection of asbestos roofed huts.  Inside, there was a cafe where you could get a cup of tea and a sticky bun, a shop selling, amongst other things, enamel aeroplane badges (no socks), and a sort of cricket pavilion viewing veranda where you could watch the aeroplanes; DC3s, Viscounts, Fokker Friendships, and as we got into the 60s, BAC 111s and  Caravelles, which were very stylish but spectacularly noisy!   Liveries, before the package holiday era, were Cambrian (Welsh independent absorbed by BEA but allowed to keep the livery), BEA of course, KLM, Aer LIngus, Air France, and Dan Air, who flew Comets.  Dan Air always seemed a bit of a poor relation, all the others had check in desks in the big hut, but Dan Air was round the corner, and the sign was 'Toilets and Dan Air', which I thought hilarious...

It was a pleasant hour or so on the way home from daytrips to places along what is now called the 'Heritage Coast', usually Southerndown but sometimes Marcross Cwm or Nash Point.  Flying was still considered glamourous in those days, but Rhoose had a cheap and cheerful friendliness about it.

• Like 6
  • Informative/Useful 1

10 hours ago, The Johnster said:

Bristol is Lulsgate

As a kid, I lived near the earlier Bristol Airport, between Whitchurch, Hengrove and Hartcliffe a couple of hangers were still there. According to Wiki (https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Bristol_(Whitchurch)_Airport) it remained open during WWII with routes to Lisbon and Shannon

• Like 2

If it had been a genuine piece of reportage, I expect that the hapless subbie would be in front of their managers workstation, in expectation of if not an immediate P45, then at least one close in the future if it happens again!  Given the subject matter, Claire Petulengro predicts that they will be getting in the rounds this evening!

However, the prediction for my starsign looks promising, "Peribea cwm* con et lanis doloreram", eh?  😂

* I thought something was missing, I've had to slip some Welsh in because the Net Nanny took exception to the "u" that the "w" replaces...

Edited by Hroth
Net Nanny strikes again!
  • Like 1
  • Funny 1

51 minutes ago, luckymucklebackit said:

Needs John Cleese in his centurion character.  Romanes eunt domus etc.

"No it doesn't ".....

• Funny 2

• RMweb Gold
7 hours ago, Steamport Southport said:

I've just been playing with a pug. One with legs rather than wheels.

😊

Tha's one of 'em dogs wot needs the brakes seein' to, innit...

• Funny 4

• RMweb Gold
9 hours ago, Canal Digger said:

As a kid, I lived near the earlier Bristol Airport, between Whitchurch, Hengrove and Hartcliffe a couple of hangers were still there. According to Wiki (https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Bristol_(Whitchurch)_Airport) it remained open during WWII with routes to Lisbon and Shannon

There was a previous Cardiff airport as well, at Tremorfa on the marshland between the Roath Branch and the Rhymni River.  The site had first been used by Ernest Willows, Cardiff's very own airship pioneer (he has a Wetherspoons named after him not far from me that we had lunch in earlier today as it happens).  Railway Air Services flew a service with DH Rapides to Witchurch and Bournemouth, also Birmingham.  The place was commandeered by the RAF during the war as a maintenance airfield, and used by Liberator bombers, which must have been quite a sight taking off!  Beauforts were built in a factory on Dumballs Road, and driven through the streets as fuselage and separate wings to the put together at the site and flown off for snagging on the way to their service airfields.  The marshy ground was the place's downfall, flooding being frequent and the runway constantly having to be cleared of mud; it was also prone to being fog-bound, with the Bristol Channel being only a few yards away...

It re-opened as a civilian airport after the war, but the RAF fighter station at Rhoose, surplus to MoD requirements, was better able to handle larger passenger aircraft, but DH Herons flew out of Cardiff before the move to Rhoose, 1950 IIRC.  There are still some hangers used as industrial units and the terminal building, it you can call it that, survives as a social club.

• Informative/Useful 1

This thread is 'Things that make you laugh', so references to Rhoose Airport make me laugh in a way that sounds really disturbing to anyone listening as it was the scene of the greatest escape of my life from the imminent danger of getting lured into marriage. While I was a naive student, my parents and me went to stay in Bridgend with old family friends, in about 1968. And their daughter. "Why don't you and Cheryl borrow the car and go for a meal at the restaurant at the airport?" I was quite taken with the idea of acting like adults (shows what my self image was like!) so it was all planned and we got all dressed up smart (very short mini dress for her, suit for me) and went.

Evening: it wasn't very busy. The Waitress was Welsh chatty and said, "Ah luvly, look at you two, are you off on your honeymoon?"  Such a big laugh (play soundtrack doom and dread mucic.) I was oblivious to all this.

After the meal we sat in the car in the very dark car park on the bench seat of my Dad's Renault 1100 and talked, swapping amusing student tales, until I said it's getting late we'd better get back. Off we drive.

Back at the house she disappeared upstairs in a flash, while I explained to her mother what a Nice Time we'd had. Things seemed a little odd, but at the time I thought nothing of it.

Next morning at breakfast I enquired where Cheryl was, and was told "we've called for the doctor, she's paralysed and can't get out of bed". Mmm?

Cut a long story short, her Mum had hatched up this plan that I'd get carried away with the romance of the evening and take advantage (however slightly) in the dark car park and have to get engaged to be married. Nowhere was that on my horizon at that stage of my life. The disappointment then affected Cheryl's physical state.

I never discovered to what extent my own mother was complicit, although she had made noises about grandchildren.

Over the years I stayed in touch, Cheryl had all sorts of marital and emotional problems and I really dodged a bullet, by being a straightforward mate with a girl on that night.

And so you'll understand why I laugh in a funny way when Rhoose airport is mentioned.

• Round of applause 3
  • Funny 3
  • Friendly/supportive 6