RMweb

Things that make you :)

Andy Y

• RMweb Gold
2 hours ago, roundhouse said:

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Record_Breakers

I shook hands with him when he presented awards at our school.

On a more serious note, Roy and his wife Fiona did a lot for work for cancer charities before Roy succumbed to lung cancer. Both had a Class 47 named after them.

http://class47.co.uk/c47_zoom_v3.php?img=0720011090000

• Like 4
  • Agree 2

Seen these on our recent trip to the Polish Baltic coast, you hang your bike on the top bars and all the tools are on chains hanging below, with air available as well, what a good idea.

bike service.jpg

• Like 9
  • Interesting/Thought-provoking 1
  • Craftsmanship/clever 1

You don't have to go to Poland, there's one of these by the bike rack outside Orpington Station in Kent. Took me some time to work out what it was, as someone had still managed to nick all the tools from the bottom bit and the air supply looked vandalised....

• Informative/Useful 1
  • Interesting/Thought-provoking 2
  • Friendly/supportive 3

1 hour ago, Peterem said:

You don't have to go to Poland, there's one of these by the bike rack outside Orpington Station in Kent. Took me some time to work out what it was, as someone had still managed to nick all the tools from the bottom bit and the air supply looked vandalised....

Sad to say, but reflects on our society, Poland has its problems, as my picture shows graffiti, but did not see any wanton vandalism, schools were open without fences, shops in a subway with no shutters, very little Police, lots of drinking going on but did not see any fights, did notice carparks with 24hr security were popular. Our local station.

Poland station.jpg

• Like 5

• RMweb Gold
3 minutes ago, fulton said:

Sad to say, but reflects on our society, Poland has its problems, as my picture shows graffiti, but did not see any wanton vandalism, schools were open without fences, shops in a subway with no shutters, very little Police, lots of drinking going on but did not see any fights, did notice carparks with 24hr security were popular. Our local station.

Poland station.jpg

A particularly odd station that, as it's a German UBB station, with trains only to Germany - the main PKP station being the other side of the river that bisects the town.

• Like 1
  • Interesting/Thought-provoking 1

2 minutes ago, Nick C said:

A particularly odd station that, as it's a German UBB station, with trains only to Germany - the main PKP station being the other side of the river that bisects the town.

Yes the signage alternated between German and Polish, we did visit the main station using the free ferry.

Polish Ferry.jpg

• Like 4

14 hours ago, big jim said:

Walking from the park earlier noticed the sign on the entrance had been improved 

5E2F3ABA-CC57-4800-96F2-160FDF6DE7DD.jpeg.a7d9cbd8407e18c1f38fab10318178f9.jpeg

67F0B283-F544-4AF4-8F66-3A9C25C8B539.jpeg.eb52ccf89b7d786113ba06d02300879c.jpeg

Mind you, calling the Solway estuary part of the Lake District is pushing things a bit!

• Like 3
  • Agree 1
  • Funny 1

• RMweb Gold
6 hours ago, Hroth said:

Mind you, calling the Solway estuary part of the Lake District is pushing things a bit!

I’m glad you can see that too, the new owners of the site are marketing it as being in the Lake District, as in 10 minute drive from the mountains, granted it’s not that far to Keswick and cockermouth etc but it’s certainly not a put your hiking boots on and there’s a mountain outside your front door location 

they are also aiming the holidays at the wrong end of the market, the previous owner did well from the likes of ‘sun holidays’ and for want of a better word, the lower end of the market and priced the holidays and vans to purchase accordingly but the new owners have come in and tried to sell weekend breaks at £500+ and upped the price of the caravans (as well as the site fees) without adding any extra attractions or incentive to keep current owners on site and from what I saw the last week the place, although busy, was no where near as full as it should have been for a 1/2 term week, we ended up going over to the ‘rival’ holiday park and paying to use their facilities for a couple of days as you can be sure of decent entertainment and facilities there, other nights we went to the RAFA club

Sorry for the thread diversion! 

• Like 3
  • Friendly/supportive 1

Seems a familiar story. I feel that a worryingly large number of business operators these days, especially those who have recently set-up or who have recently bought a business (probably for far more than it was worth) see the only way to make money as being "exclusiveness" and top-end pricing. It's not just the Lake District, it's all over the UK, although the Lake District does seem to be a real hot spot. My wife and I used to love to go there, as often as we could, but not now. All of the guest houses want a fortune now so that they can offer you a needlessly "Laura Ashley" style room with silly little un-necessary nick-nacks in it (when all we want is clean, warm and not scruffy/smelly) and the food prices in all of the pubs (bar W-spoons) are ridiculous too.  5+ years ago I walked away laughing after refusing to consider the £12+ being demanded for basic sausage and mash...

Cambridge equally greedy/pretentious.

• Agree 2
  • Friendly/supportive 5

• RMweb Premium
16 hours ago, big jim said:

I’m glad you can see that too, the new owners of the site are marketing it as being in the Lake District, as in 10 minute drive from the mountains, granted it’s not that far to Keswick and cockermouth etc but it’s certainly not a put your hiking boots on and there’s a mountain outside your front door location

The railway does it too, "Oxenholme the Lake District" and "Penrith North Lakes" both set my teeth on edge.

Edited by Reorte
  • Agree 2

• RMweb Gold

The railways have always done it. Look at the number of stations that were called something "Road", when in fact they were nowhere near the place they were

supposed to serve Dent station is four miles from the village itself. I`m sure there are many more examples.

• Agree 3

• RMweb Gold
53 minutes ago, nigb55009 said:

The railways have always done it. Look at the number of stations that were called something "Road", when in fact they were nowhere near the place they were

supposed to serve Dent station is four miles from the village itself. I`m sure there are many more examples.

llanbister road on the heart of wales line, 12 miles from llanbister 

• Like 2

• RMweb Premium
2 hours ago, nigb55009 said:

Anyone know if there's any truth about the (not very urban) legend about Dent station? The one where, when the railway was opened, someone asked "why didn't you put the station nearer to the village?", to receive the reply "I thought it better to put in near the railway."

• Like 2
  • Agree 2
  • Funny 4