Users will currently see a stripped down version of the site until an advertising issue is fixed. If you are seeing any suspect adverts please go to the bottom of the page and click on Themes and select IPS Default. ×
RMweb

Things that make you :)

Andy Y

• RMweb Premium
20 hours ago, J. S. Bach said:

All joking aside, the A&W burger was a much better burger than the Quarter Pounder.

A blind taste test many years ago proved that most people who "love" them actually put them low down the list in a comparison.

Wendy's came top.

• Like 2

• RMweb Gold
8 hours ago, Tim Dubya said:

Screenshot_20230715-081019.png.912e51ac30363dbbb00c4a094d0ece27.png

Back in the early 80s when I was married with a small baby (I mean to his mother, not to a small baby), we lived in a cottage in Abertillery, Western Valleys.  One Saturday morning the missis went up the hill to the town centre for shopping, and came back loaded with plastic bags.  'Got everything, then', quoth The Johnster, to which the response was 'yes, of course, come and help me unpack'.  I obey, o queen of my heart, star of the morning, hope of the future generations.  'You sure?'  She checks items off against her list, 'yup, it's all here'.  'Bit of a struggle carrying it all, love; why didn't you put some in the pushchair'. 

At this point the light came on; she had left the baby in the pushchair outside Fine Fare.  She flew out of the door, returning with him about a quarter hour later.  He'd been gurgling away quite happily, surrounded by cooing grannies, and a cordon of Welsh grans is a solid guarantee of safety!

Then she did it again, this time on a visit to her parents in Fairwater, Cardiff.  We sat in the car for a minute with nothing happening, and she pipes up 'come on, let's go, I want to get home and put the baby to bed'.  'You sure?  Haven't left anything you might want later in your mum's?'.  You could see the cogs turning, as she picked up each bag and looked inside it.  'No I haven't', bit cross now, 'come on!'.  Ooo kay, then. 

We got as far as Ynys Bridge, past Radyr, before there was a scream 'The BABY!!!'.  There's a roundabout at Ynys, so we simply went back to her mum's, who was waiting on the doorstep with my firstborn in her arms and laughing... 

Despite this, Sue was a really good natural mother, just a bit prone to distraction.  She got her act together big time after that last incident, though, her mum never let her live it down!

Or Thomas, now in his thirties and a successful chef and kitchen manager, would be still be outside Fine Fare in Abertillery looking a bit like Dai...

• Like 1
  • Round of applause 1
  • Funny 17

• RMweb Gold
2 minutes ago, Vistisen said:

'American processed cheese' ... so it is a vegan burger?

I reckon McDonald's burgers are safe for vegans, only containing trace elements of meat...

• Like 1
  • Round of applause 1
  • Funny 7

• RMweb Premium
1 hour ago, Ozexpatriate said:

Such internet memes are usually dubious but that's almost plausible. South Texas temperatures have been in the triple digits (or close to) in the old money (>38°C) for weeks now.

Seems genuine going by this . But it was a hoax .

https://abc13.com/viral-photo-montgomery-county-news-women-bakes-bread-in-mailbox-houston-weather/13503777/

Edited by Sidecar Racer
  • Like 3

1 hour ago, Sidecar Racer said:

But it was a hoax .

Of course it was. I imagine it takes a lot more than say 50°C* to bake bread. 

* Allowing for a generous increase over ambient in that brick mail box.

I did say "almost plausible". The heat in south Texas really has been extreme.

• Agree 2

11 minutes ago, Ozexpatriate said:

Of course it was. I imagine it takes a lot more than say 50°C* to bake bread. 

* Allowing for a generous increase over ambient in that brick mail box.

I did say "almost plausible". The heat in south Texas really has been extreme.

Around 180 / 190C, dependant on what you're making, and given the demeanour of many of the inhabitants, one might be tempted to wish.....    🤣 

Joking, of course.....     honest.....    😇 

• Like 3

20 minutes ago, Ozexpatriate said:

Harris County (Houston)  can be quite different in many regards from other parts of Texas.

Yes, I'm absolutely certain that you are completely right.  I worked with US Army, Navy and Marines for 5 years of my RAF time, involving hundreds directly and indirectly, also some in civvy time; of which only three were anything other than a complete delight to work alongside.  Those three were all Texans and the, complete and utter, picture of the worst of the Texan caricatures often depicted.  However, it doesn't take much to work out that, in the hundreds of others I worked alongside, there were far more than those three, from the same State and back home, Stateside, of course.

Edited by jcredfer
  • Like 4

• RMweb Premium
6 hours ago, Hroth said:

As you slice through the skin, the thick layer of yellow fat oozes out, like biting a custard slice....

Hope I'm not putting anyone off their tea!

There's no trees on the Falkland's and therefore no firewood. The whalers used to kill the penguins, dry them and then use them as a substitute for firewood. 

• Like 1
  • Interesting/Thought-provoking 4

• RMweb Gold
On 14/07/2023 at 10:14, Hroth said:

ne can only put up with so much pink....

There is only one place where pink is justified (otherwise it is an offence against all that is good and decent), and in that one place it is essential.  That one place is on a 1959 Cadillac El Dorado Coupe de Ville convertible. 

• Like 3
  • Agree 2

• RMweb Premium
5 hours ago, The Johnster said:

There is only one place where pink is justified (otherwise it is an offence against all that is good and decent), and in that one place it is essential.  That one place is on a 1959 Cadillac El Dorado Coupe de Ville convertible. 

You forgot 6 wheel rolls royce

• Like 1
  • Agree 7
  • Funny 1

6 hours ago, The Johnster said:

Or FAB 1.....

• Like 2
  • Agree 1

7 minutes ago, 33C said:

Or FAB 1.....

Well yes.

But it would be the only pink thing in the programme, unless Lady P happened to be sporting a pink outfit* too.

* Though Parker was never seen trying it on.  Its one thing I should have asked my aunt about...

• Funny 6

• RMweb Premium
3 hours ago, Hroth said:

Back then you really knew you were ill when the Lucozade appeared at the bedside.

Absolutely vile stuff, mind you I was always ill with something or another when I drank it, so it could have been tainted by that 🤷

Edited by Tim Dubya
  • Friendly/supportive 3