Hattons Model Railways of Widnes (formerly Liverpool).

tractor_37260

I've given up on trying to look at eHattons (new arrivals). The page takes an eternity to load, immediately crashes, and then tries to reload. It happens on my home PC, laptop, (both XP Pro) and the new works laptop (Win 7). Their loss not mine.

Stewart

Ordered some track with them last month still havnt recieved it Hattons really need to get there courrier system better i mean i phoned them to ask where my order was they said with the courrier i phone the courrier with the details hattons gave me for my tracking number the courrier said they hadnt got it Hattonsd said theyd shipped it which clearly not so i axed my order and went somewhere else. I tried ordering an airfix kit or 2 and some grain hoppers to get to checkout to pay put my details in and it kept timing out I think hattons is slowly loosing customers because of there practices courrier choices and website being unstable at times or most of the time. There local not too far away from me and are cheap at times sometimes fast but not always and a pain in the arse to deal with. I had an order in march never get to me because stock figures on the site didnt match actuall values in there warehouse so naturally i complained and then cancelled the order when i didnt like there answer and went to my local place walking distance to get the same things instead. Hattons need to up there game conciderably to stand a change at getting more and more repeat customers fromus ar RM web

I bought some track from them as part of a bigger order. The rest turned up, but not the track. The track arrived next day, after I'd chased them, and I saw that the barcode on the label had been wrapped round the box in a way that probably made it unreadable. So maybe they sent it, but it got lost in the courier's system due to the way the label was attached

I decided to try out their 'we buy pre owned' service. I emailed them with the details of my Howes sound fitted loco and waited for a reply. A few hours later I got an email response from them with a shameful offer for my loco, £85.00. Suffice to say I rejected the offer straight away. 

• Like 1

I decided to try out their 'we buy pre owned' service. I emailed them with the details of my Howes sound fitted loco and waited for a reply. A few hours later I got an email response from them with a shameful offer for my loco, £85.00. Suffice to say I rejected the offer straight away.

I mite try this for some fun, the amount they charge for used stuff they are making a bit (lot) from it.

I mite try this for some fun, the amount they charge for used stuff they are making a bit (lot) from it.

The item I was offering to sell, they have another for sale at £250. 

250-85 = lots of profit. 

I'll be trying my local model shops instead and see what they offer. 

• Like 1

E-bay will probably still work out best for you, even after the fees and being cut 3 ways. I imagine Hattons want to at least make the same again of what they pay...£85 will be £170 for them.

Anyone would think we lived in a profiteering basterd capitalist society.

• Like 2

I tried to sell to them about a year ago. They offered about £800 for for a load of OO gauge locos and stock. I declined and got a revised offer of c£870. In the end I put them on Ebay and a private buyer/part time trader came and bought them for £1500. There was once stuff in there including sound locos, resprayed re numbered pre TOPS stuff etc. I know they have to make a profit but so did the guy who bought them.

On another matter I ordered one of their sale items Monday evening, got the normal email response confirming, nothing until yesterday when email I received said it had been sent Royal Mail 48 hour Tracked and it arrived this morning. Great service but the wheels look a bit dirty  so not sure if it is brand new or a Heljan reconditioned? Having said that it was £72 for a weathered class 16, which in their May newsletter was prices at £115, so £43 saved does it for me.

Looking to acquire a Hornby Hall with sound, Hattons show sound fitted Rood Aston Hall for £227 and seems to use Olivias sound its shown on logo on web site. Olivias for same loco show £246 wondered if they are same sound chips does anyone know?

Thanks Terry

I would imagine they are both the same sound files on Loksound V4's. Olivia's tend to be a bit dearer but would I guess offer free re-loads of sound files if you bought from them but 2 way insured postage would probably negate any benefit.

• RMweb Premium

It's ebays fees that put me off. 10% on selling price, 10% on postage and paypal take their cut to.

As a general rule of thumb a shop will look to double whatever they pay you for s/h models, may be even more. If you do part ex you'll get a better deal but the shop will still be looking to sell on for a lot more than they give you. If you sell on EBay you pay them 10%, you could list your models at an awful lot more than a shop will pay and even after paying that 10% you are way ahead. OK EBay make their money out of you, but if you are getting a lot more than a shop will pay then you are still a lot better off. And every now and again an auction can go silly and you hit the jack pot. There are other ways to sell too, to be honest I'd place selling to a shop at the bottom of the list in terms of selling models.

Some people have a [very] inflated idea of what their model is worth believe you me

• RMweb Premium

One of the advantages of local model shops would be that as part of the long term relationship they'd often offer attractive part-ex prices to their customers. They'd still obviously want to profit from the deal but in my experience would quite often cut their margins to offer something that was actually pretty attractive and worth doing. I can't really see the big box shifters doing that and it will be a strictly commercial deal where they want their margins. I'm not blaming them for that and they're not charities, but it does point towards selling models yourself via EBay or other channels as being the sensible option.

Guest Digital

Ordered some items for the planned extension of my layout yesterday morning.

All arrived safely this morning. Very well packaged.

As above never had issues with ordering on the website and very impressed with communication by email.

• Like 2

I live about a 100 kilometres from the nearest decent model shop so mail order is a big thing for me. A Mate kept telling me about Hattons and I so I had a look at them last week. I found the website easy to use and their communication excellent and the Loco took less time to get to me in Country West Australia than it takes for me to get items from Sydney or Melbourne. I was well impressed and will more than likely be back again. Getting it less VAT didn't hurt either ;)

• Like 6

Had a drive across to Hattons this morning.

A couple of weeks ago I bought a Bachman blue 2EPB unit by post, which earlier this week started to run with a growling noise. Anyway, I fancied a Heljan baby deltic  (2EPB ?, baby deltic ?, I feel a London "urban grot" scene coming on !!!). So I decided to have a morning out in the Pool, wife came along for a visit to the big Chinese supermarket near the dock road. (That's why I didn't / dared not to buy much !!!!!).

The pleasant young lady test ran the EPB, yes it was noisy, and replaced it no problem, even let me unbox and run the little deltic also, which ran superb. Got a couple of other bits and bobs also.

They have lots of second hand stuff In the cabinets, some is definitely tat, some decent. Not sure but the prices seemed reasonable in the shop as compared to the website. Plenty of Lima diesels at around £15 - £20. Plenty of coaches £10 and wagons from £4.

Not a lot of Hornby in the cabinets though. The staff seemed busy as usual, still a nice, friendly shop to visit.

Now, that Green full yellow end with arrow symbol baby deltic. What's that doing on my Wigan Great Central layout, Test run from Newton-Le-Willows after overhaul perhaps ???!!!

Brit15

Edited by APOLLO
  • Like 2

I see Hattons have Baby Deltics on special there at the moment.

I have to say that I was almost ready to click the button and get one, the Dirty version.

I don't know why, I felt like I'd like one, they are not my era, they didn't seem to be a particularly popular loco with the public or their crews. I don't even own a Diesel in OO. But there was just something I liked about it.

Still I managed to be strong and buy another A4 instead :) (Although the Baby Deltic is still in the Hattons "wishlist". And post's like the one above, mentioning that they are nice runners, are not helping my resolve :) )

• 3 weeks later...

Two years ago I ordered a Heljan Class 05, 2500 from Hattons, which they then priced at £77. The price has since increased significantly, with the rrp from Heljan being £129 and Hattons price being £100, which is still a significant discount on the current rrp. After the significant price rises from Bachmann over the last 2 years and the effect this had on Hattons pre order guarantee, I was expecting notification that my order price would have to be increased, however I've had notification from Hattons that they have processed the order at the original price of £77, which is £52 approx. below rrp. That was not expected and is very much appreciated.

• Like 7