RMweb

Wright writes.....

• RMweb Premium

I wonder on occasions whether this thread is coming to the end of its natural life. 

It's cyclic on so many occasions; the current discussion on a personal preference for making things has been aired before (it's even the subject for mild ridicule), as has the 'RTR v kit-building' topic which is closely-related. I personally don't see the 'debate' as competitive, just a personal difference of approaches. That the RTR lobby is 'winning' (there, I've suggested competition - hypocrisy rules!) there's no doubt. I've just glanced at a few of the more recent model railway magazines and every one (including the MRJ) with one exception (the BRM spring issue) has an RTR locomotive on the front. With very few exceptions (the MRJ being one), all the featured layouts have RTR stuff on them (in many cases modified, to be fair). This is a total change from my 'formative' years. In those days, an RTR item on a front cover would be so heavily altered as to be almost unrecognisable. Not now, in fact on one cover the loco is just out-of-the-box. I have to say (and I can say this with impartiality now) that the latest BRM is the most interesting of all to me right now because there's so much kit-building/scratch-building in it. Very niche, one might say, though highly creditable. A look at the review pages will see almost nothing but RTR locos and stock, with precious little mention of kits/bits and suchlike. Or, is that just my perception?

The DCC/analogue debate is so old as to be superannuated now, and there's a separate thread for it now. 

What else? The 'gauge wars'. Again, there's nothing more to be said about that. 

I'll continue helping others with their modelling because it helps me, and it'll be my pleasure to continue inviting guests. That this thread has been invaluable to me there's no doubt, and I hope it's been of interest and use to others. If nothing else it's encouraged folk to have a go, and show their personal efforts. My thanks to those who've contributed to that. 

It's just that, on a personal level, now having climbed out of depression, there are so many practical things I need to/must do, all of which are very time-imperative. I've already been given an extension to complete the first Booklaw book, then there's the second one to consider. My first book for Crowood is not far off sale, and I've been asked to consider writing others. The Irwell bookazine on the Class 50s needs putting together in readiness for sale before Christmas. I'm constantly writing articles for BRILL. I'm also writing constructional articles for the model railway mags and there are so many models to make/complete, not to mention a big layout to 'finish' and a putative exhibition one to consider. Speaking of exhibitions, there are so many on the horizon where I act as a demonstrator/loco doctor, and much has to be done in preparation prior to each one. The sale of model railway items on behalf of bereaved families also takes time.

A friend once said that 'Computers are the Thief of Time'. How right he is. When I think of the hours spent here it pricks my conscience, because I should be writing hundreds of 'informed' captions for books to be published. 

Then, there's the rest of my life! 

As is known, I've never considered Wright Writes as my property. In fact, on many occasions when I don't post it's more active, so it'll probably keep going, anyway. 

No it hasn't.

This might sound a bit odd, but this is one of the few places on RMweb were those of us who do model things we want and not wait for an RTR loco, coach or what ever can discuss things without some having a pop at us.

Last weekend I expressed my views on the Kernow painted examples of their SR 1Co-Co1 diesels, I was called condescending for saying "Oh dear" because the model illustrated was wrong. I did point out what was wrong with links to photos showing the prototype. Since I expressed my views Graham Muz, who appears to be their spokesperson, has amended his blog to include the errors I noticed. On here saying something is wrong and being able to back up what you are saying gets a thumbs up. Even more so if you can show a picture of your model without the error.

As for the cyclic debates about RTR v Kit  (wot 'bout us scratchbuilders?), DC v DC with the extra C, and gauges, I think we are all grown up enough to read other peoples views but not worry about them if the differ to our own. Lets enjoy each others modelling.

As for spending too much time on the computer, it is your fault because I have to write a reply.

Edited by Clive Mortimore
  • Like 4

• RMweb Premium

Tony, I am sure I speak for others when I say that we welcome your musings - 'the thoughts of (Chairman) Tony' although I'm sure you'll hate me for saying that.

To a very great extent you are encouraging others to go that extra mile in what they do. You, and a couple of others on here (Gilbert Barnett, Phil with his slowly progressing Seaton Junction and Graham with Grantham, The Streamliner Years) have all made me reconsider my approach to my retirement modelling project. Without input from you and others on here I fear I would have headed into a modelling dead end. Instead you have made me stop and think about what I want and how to achieve it. OK, my hjumble effort will not be an accurate rendition of a prototype but will use prototype track layout and mildly adapted topography. The biggest issue I have is that it seems almost undocumented. A handful of pictures is the best I can do! I've got a bit of written information from the NRM but even they are struggling. I'll start a thread when I get into doing some initial work though and all will, in time, be revealed.

Having said that it is tremendous that you are now feeling up to going onward and upward, depression is such an insidious thing and the sufferer is the last one to be able to see the light at the end of the tunnel (!).

Please don't abandon us all, we love seeing your initiatives in solving problems and challenges. We have a part finished story in progress on LB, how all the little detail is added will fascinate and inspire many I'm sure. Perhaps less frequent visits are the answer. However if you do go altogether rest assured there are many of us that respect your work and knowledge.

• Like 4

• RMweb Premium

Whenever I log on to RMWeb this is always the first thread I look at and there has probably been more interesting discussion, good modelling and generally good natured banter on here than on any other thread.

I agree that some subjects have been done to death but if we are all sensible about it and perhaps just stick to following progress on Tony's modelling projects and sharing what we others are up to, I reckon it still has legs for a good while yet.

• Like 1

Tony

Stay the course please. This one of two daily posted threads, I actually read each day without fail .

I see no problem with civilised discussion , luckily this one is 99% is sensible and polite.

As to the other 1%, who post with comments of what they consider is funny or being petty for the sake of it will never disappear, if not here they will be doing the same elsewhere !!! Just ignore them I do !!.

• Like 1

• RMweb Premium

Oh dear Mike, I had rather assumed that when you put the slightly shorter more prototypical frames and enormously wide frame spacers in the kit you knew what you were doing. :jester:

All I can say is the 00 gauge chassis runs as smooth as silk. Again thanks for answering my query about fitting the motor into the boiler.

( Nice helpful obliging chap Mike and I believe he's not too bad at building loco's himself. If you ask me I bet he does know what he's on about.)

Postscript: Taking up on David's point on Picts and Martyrs, I'm a great fan of Arthur Ransome  and a similar episode is described in Swallowdale. Here Captain John wrecks the love of his life Swallow on a rock. After being shown how to by Captain Flint, John then helps rebuild Swallow by making a new mast from scratch. John learns how to use a spoke shave and callipers and sands down the new mast to a perfect replica of the old one. He then has to oil the mast but it's so perfect that he fears he'll only ruin it. However he perseveres and it shines up lovely and eventually Swallow is rejuvenated and even better than before he wrecked her. John then loves her more than ever because something of himself had become part of Swallow.

What's this got to do with real modelling? I hear you ask, quite a lot if you ask me.

I didn't say I didn't know what I was doing, there's a P4 loco on the bench at the moment. What I object to is this idea that P4 modellers work on a higher plane, the standards should be just the same whatever gauge a loco is being built to - 00 is just 4'1 1/2" instead of 4' 8 1/2".

• Like 2

• RMweb Premium

Whenever I log on to RMWeb this is always the first thread I look at and there has probably been more interesting discussion, good modelling and generally good natured banter on here than on any other thread.

I agree that some subjects have been done to death but if we are all sensible about it and perhaps just stick to following progress on Tony's modelling projects and sharing what we others are up to, I reckon it still has legs for a good while yet.

That's just about my opinion too, please don't abandon this thread Tony

As it was the Right Track DVD Series which gave me so many tips on whitemetal soldering and drybrush painting, here is ny finished canvas of the Nu Cast O2/3. OO, DCC and not likely to make the pages of MRJ in a hurry, but I enjoyed making it. The idea is that it is work - stained but not scruffy  I'm looking at it now from a distance of 2 feet, and, must say, I'm not totally displeased.

I hope this thread goes on indefinitely, but wish more folk would either post their work, or signpost to a thread where it can be seen.,

post-1659-0-55211600-1490884723_thumb.jpg

• Like 4

I have to say I think the forum would be massively worse off if Wright Writes ceased to exist.

You are basically responsible for my getting into kit building model railway locomotives. If you watched me build a loco (albeit badly) you'd probably recognise very clearly the methods used - that's because they are what I have learned from you! 

The 'moderation' of this thread that you offer, plus tutorials, support and encouragement are invaluable, and no doubt to many others too.

Having said that, I can totally understand that all this takes time; time not spent modelling! I find myself that the computer steals time, and I end up not doing as much real world stuff as I hoped. 

Personally, I don't care much if this thread goes round in circles occasionally. Recently when Jesse asked what tools he should get, the responses were excellent, and reminded me of my own start in kit building a few years ago, that is inspirational, and no doubt he will be another graduate from the school of Wrights Model Loco Construction (correspondence course version 1.0). Of course, do what makes you happy, but for me, no Mr. Wright on RMWeb would be a big loss.

Edited by grob1234

• RMweb Premium

I didn't say I didn't know what I was doing, there's a P4 loco on the bench at the moment. 

Yes and I have seen it - despite the lack of flanges it looks very nice....

• RMweb Premium

Ownership. I have 4 rakes under construction at the moment.

2 rakes are aircons, all are reglazed and reframed.

2D, FK TSO BFK 2E, TSOx2

2 are mainly pre aircon Mark 2s

Buffets all are heavily modified.

Bar, 247 sides on Lima BG shell, lots of scratch insides and chassis

RMB detailed Triang with Replica glazing and Commonwealths

RU, Lima RBR with Comet sides converted ages ago

Brakes

Replica BGs with flush glazing and B4s

2A, Hornby 2 with airbrake cylinder and EE frames

2B TSO FK, 2C TSO, FK, BSO Lima with airbrake cylinder and EE frames, Replica bogies

Still need more 2B 2C 2D TSOs, and a BG or 2

My motivation was lack of RTR, poor RTR and "I am not paying £60 for a carriage!"

I had a RMB, why pay Bachmann for a new one, when for about £5 the TH one looks as good.

The Airfix 2D are still good basic vehicles and I for one DO CARE that they are the correct version.

Lima 2B stock, what a lot of work.

They are mine, I rescued some from a life of trainsets, of probably ending up in a tip. Some I have owned since I was in my 20s.

Edited by MJI
  • Like 1

If you want to waste your life away there are plenty of forums on railway modelling. But only one I know is really worth the tme spent and that is Wright Writes.

Personally, it keeps me on touch with the part of the hobby I enjoy. Making things.

• RMweb Gold

Tony, I have posted a few times but mainly I view Wright writes as a source of inspiration, the modelling is first class and has made me want to continue with my own efforts when I lacked the will to do so, I find the enthusiasm is infectious. It would be a pity to stop the thread as I enjoy it a great deal, as others have said it is an area of (mainly) calm discussion with modellers who know their stuff. I will never have the space or time to build anything like your LB but the updates and photos of the layout and stock are brilliant, so from me keep up the good work.

Edited by jollysmart

I assume that you are talking about the latest MRJ with the Class 37 on the front?

To be fair, it has undergone a massive amount of work with etched, fully sprung, bogies and a number of other modifications on both the body and the under frame, to call it RTR is, I think, a little unfair.  In any event, for the 4mm scale modeller, is there any other option other than to start with an RTR 37?

John

John,

I haven't seen the latest MRJ. I was referring to the previous one (in which was Little Bytham), where a Dapol O Gauge Terrier (admittedly beautifully-weathered) was on the cover. 

Regards,

Tony. 

John,

I haven't seen the latest MRJ. I was referring to the previous one (in which was Little Bytham), where a Dapol O Gauge Terrier (admittedly beautifully-weathered) was on the cover. 

Regards,

Tony. 

In which case, my apologies.  I shall pay penance in front of you at York :)

John

To add, I shall also be sad to see you go, if you do, from this thread Tony, despite our modelling interests being poles apart, it was one of your videos that persuaded me that soldering was not the dark art that it appeared to be...

John

Edited by johndon

• RMweb Premium

I wonder on occasions whether this thread is coming to the end of its natural life. 

It's cyclic on so many occasions; the current discussion on a personal preference for making things has been aired before (it's even the subject for mild ridicule), as has the 'RTR v kit-building' topic which is closely-related. I personally don't see the 'debate' as competitive, just a personal difference of approaches. That the RTR lobby is 'winning' (there, I've suggested competition - hypocrisy rules!) there's no doubt. I've just glanced at a few of the more recent model railway magazines and every one (including the MRJ) with one exception (the BRM spring issue) has an RTR locomotive on the front. With very few exceptions (the MRJ being one), all the featured layouts have RTR stuff on them (in many cases modified, to be fair). This is a total change from my 'formative' years. In those days, an RTR item on a front cover would be so heavily altered as to be almost unrecognisable. Not now, in fact on one cover the loco is just out-of-the-box. I have to say (and I can say this with impartiality now) that the latest BRM is the most interesting of all to me right now because there's so much kit-building/scratch-building in it. Very niche, one might say, though highly creditable. A look at the review pages will see almost nothing but RTR locos and stock, with precious little mention of kits/bits and suchlike. Or, is that just my perception?

The DCC/analogue debate is so old as to be superannuated now, and there's a separate thread for it now. 

What else? The 'gauge wars'. Again, there's nothing more to be said about that. 

I'll continue helping others with their modelling because it helps me, and it'll be my pleasure to continue inviting guests. That this thread has been invaluable to me there's no doubt, and I hope it's been of interest and use to others. If nothing else it's encouraged folk to have a go, and show their personal efforts. My thanks to those who've contributed to that. 

It's just that, on a personal level, now having climbed out of depression, there are so many practical things I need to/must do, all of which are very time-imperative. I've already been given an extension to complete the first Booklaw book, then there's the second one to consider. My first book for Crowood is not far off sale, and I've been asked to consider writing others. The Irwell bookazine on the Class 50s needs putting together in readiness for sale before Christmas. I'm constantly writing articles for BRILL. I'm also writing constructional articles for the model railway mags and there are so many models to make/complete, not to mention a big layout to 'finish' and a putative exhibition one to consider. Speaking of exhibitions, there are so many on the horizon where I act as a demonstrator/loco doctor, and much has to be done in preparation prior to each one. The sale of model railway items on behalf of bereaved families also takes time.

A friend once said that 'Computers are the Thief of Time'. How right he is. When I think of the hours spent here it pricks my conscience, because I should be writing hundreds of 'informed' captions for books to be published. 

Then, there's the rest of my life! 

As is known, I've never considered Wright Writes as my property. In fact, on many occasions when I don't post it's more active, so it'll probably keep going, anyway.

Tony,

Please don't go! Reading this thread is a daily tonic, and I would miss it sorely. I understand that it takes a lot of time and, as you say, it will probably rumble on for a while without you. But I think it would slowly stagnate without an occasional ' hand on the tiller'. Why not limit yourself to a occasional (every week or two) update on your modelling or thoughts to keep the debate fresh, and don't feel the need to respond to other people's posts. There are plenty of others on here to do that!

Obviously your decision...but it would leave a big gap.

Andy

• Like 2

Many thanks for the comments today.

It is not up to me (nor in my capability) to close this thread, though, as I intimated, all things come to the end of their natural life. From what's been said, though, it's still got 'legs'. We'll see. 

As has been suggested - do what's right (personally) and I think that's what I'll do. 

Today, for instance, four friends from the Ely Club came for a day of playing trains. We had a great time, and my thanks to them for their hospitality and banter. This first-hand interaction is brilliant as far as I'm concerned, and there are lots more visits on the horizon. On a selfish level, that's what the hobby is about to me; discussing modelling, looking at each other's models in the flesh and exchanging ideas first-hand, including, would you believe it, some ideas on DCC - not spending hours (and, much to my shame, I have done) in front of a computer screen. The models brought today were scratch-built, in totally different scales to what I work in, and they were fascinating. Nobody made the models for these guys, they made them themselves, they didn't come out of a dedicated box and showed considerable skill.

I'll probably keep on posting some progress pictures (perhaps, not so frequently) of my work and, more importantly, the work of others, because that's what this thread is all about - personal work.  

Regards to all, 

Tony. 

• Like 6

I would also like to say that it would be a great shame if this thread was closed. Although I am frankly a 'lurker', this thread is almost like a electronic Model Railway Club in my eyes, a place where the more knowledgeable and experienced members can help those relative newcomers to the hobby like myself.

Dan

• Like 1

What I like about this thread is the way it can go off at a tangent into subjects rare and odd, lots of useful input and questions quickly answered. I've helped where I can occasionally, but nowhere near as much as some very talented and knowledgeable posters. Tony's photos are simply superb, as are many others contributions.

I won't enter the "make it or shake it (the box !!) debate. No way I can match the skills of Tony or Coachman - but I occasionally try and that for me is what it's all about - enjoying your hobby in your own way to your skill set. 

Last Saturday perusing ebay I saw, in a local model shop (Holder Collectibles - Culcheth Model Centre) a nice O scale RTR Weaver North American GP38 diesel loco for sale. In the same advert were several other O scale kit built locos, all (including the GP38 diesel) part of the Pete Waterman collection being sold on his behalf.. As I don't particularly like purchasing such things as locos off ebay (OK for low cost items though) I phoned and visited the shop on Tuesday. The GP38 was like new, ran well, right price so I bought it. However in the same cabinet were an O gauge kit built Duke of Gloucester, Duchess and other locos. All looked just simply "wow". There is just no way a RTR loco would look so well. Some were painted by Larry Goddard (Coachman) and quite simply "my" GP38 looked like a lump of plastic alongside.

Anyhow, no way could I afford those (getting on for Two Grand per loco as opposed to £200 for the GP38 !!) - and besides, The Duke & Duchess never ran in Colorado !!!!!!!!!!!

Keep up the good work everyone, this is the most informative multi subject thread on RMWeb.

And thank you Tony.

Brit15

Edited by APOLLO

• RMweb Premium

I'll throw my two penny worth in as well Tony. There are still plenty of us out there who enjoy "building things". This thread is an inspiration. I got a bit frayed with a thread on here from last year which asked people what locos they had the most of - pages and pages of boring and pointless lists of how many Hornby Nellies or Bachmann class 66s people have. These are, frankly, not railway modellers, just collectors of toy trains. Just finished an SEF J39 and looking forward to starting a Judith Edge N5.

Please keep up the good work.

I'll throw my two penny worth in as well Tony. There are still plenty of us out there who enjoy "building things". This thread is an inspiration. I got a bit frayed with a thread on here from last year which asked people what locos they had the most of - pages and pages of boring and pointless lists of how many Hornby Nellies or Bachmann class 66s people have. These are, frankly, not railway modellers, just collectors of toy trains. Just finished an SEF J39 and looking forward to starting a Judith Edge N5.

Please keep up the good work.

Thanks Roger,

In fairness to those who collect things, an interest in model railways (as opposed to actual railway modelling) is catered for by having loads and loads of (similar?) RTR models. Not only that, the hobby is a broad church and I've no wish for this thread to be perceived as 'looking down the nose at others' because they can't or won't make things for themselves, as long as they realise that others do.

If a thread caters for them, then so be it. It's good that it does.

What I can't countenance are non-modellers (for whatever reasons) who (perhaps because of the interweb?) gain the status of being 'accomplished modellers', when, in fact, everything has been done for them or they just like opening boxes. Nobody who posts on this thread fits that bill.  

That's it for today, by the way. I'm taking my own advice by doing something constructive and soldering together a long run of fencing this evening. I might post a picture. 

Edited by Tony Wright
  • Like 7

Like many I have found this thread inspirational on all sorts of levels. As a result of advice on this thread I will be adding the wheels to my first comet chassis later tonight. I bought a Poppy loco box and received many helpful replies when I asked about tools for chassis construction which I've since acted upon. Tony's chassis construction video via You Tube is permanently on a tab on my laptop at the moment (haven't got round to buying a copy yet) and I've watched the relevant bits loads of times.

I work solo not belonging to a club so threads like this are invaluable even though some of the more technical stuff I don't understand.

I limit the amount of time I spend on here because of work, family constraints and the fact that I would rather be doing something than spending hours on a computer which I have to use a lot for work anyway (supposed to be working now!). I follow a small number of threads and prefer those that follow a different approach as I severely modify things including kits and scratch build to create a semblance of late 1940s East Anglia. As a result of threads like this my modelling has changed massively over the last few years despite working on a limited budget, long may it continue. RM Web would be a poorer place without this thread which I know has helped improve my modelling.

Martyn

• Like 2

Good grief. I post a photo of a poxy diesel kit, and mayhem ensues. I hope it is coincidence.

I liked your poxy diesel kit, it looked pretty decent to me or is that just the colour that you are referring too?

• RMweb Premium

Good grief. I post a photo of a poxy diesel kit, and mayhem ensues. I hope it is coincidence.

Hi Phil

Is it a Silver Fox model? I have one in the same livery. it is a nice model, one of Silver Foxes better ones. 

I also have this scratchbuilt effort, sorry it is hiding behind a Brush 2, he is a little scared of being on RMweb. Last time he appeared on RMweb was when I said the Heljan loco did quite look right and I posted a photo of this model explaining about the angles of the lower front. Heljan one still looks too square to the rails to me. I was reported to the moderators for posting a photo of an old kit. :scared:

post-16423-0-77117700-1490902626.jpg

It does seem to be an "N-gin" that causes controversy. :no: :no:

• Like 6