Please use M,M&M only for topics that do not fit within other forum areas. All topics posted here await admin team approval to ensure they don't belong elsewhere.

Wright writes.....

Tony, I have posted a few times but mainly I view Wright writes as a source of inspiration, the modelling is first class and has made me want to continue with my own efforts when I lacked the will to do so, I find the enthusiasm is infectious. It would be a pity to stop the thread as I enjoy it a great deal, as others have said it is an area of (mainly) calm discussion with modellers who know their stuff. I will never have the space or time to build anything like your LB but the updates and photos of the layout and stock are brilliant, so from me keep up the good work.

"Motion seconded".

Tony, my personal circumstances mean that even after retiring from work I still don't have anything like as much time as I'd wish to work on modelling, nor to join a club, nor indeed as yet to take-up your kind invitation from last year to visit LB.  But I have found "Wright Writes" completely inspirational in the sense of showing me the kind of modeller I want to be, and stopping me from just becoming another 'box-opener' out of sheer desperation to get something - almost anything! - running.  Albeit at a geographical distance I'd like to continue to listen and learn with you and the other master modellers who also post on here for as long as I can.  Thank you for what you do.  Ease back a little if it helps.  But please keep doing it, if you can.

Please remember, Tony, that some of us live away from the usual locations and rely upon the 'net to keep up with the rest of you. So I remind (beg) you to stay involved. Imagine being in an area where even the model shop owner 100 km away raises his eyebrows and shrugs shoulders at the mention of building kits. . . .

Mr. Reelmodeller Esq meets Reddy T. Run......

" Bachmann has just brought out a RTR Stanier 5MT 2-6-0, but I tell yer wot; I'm not buying one 'cos it's fer box openers. I'm going to build one.......... from baked bean tins if I have to, 'cos I'm a proper railway modeller. I built this Dean Goods earlier........... Okay, so I glued it together with tar from between t'cobbles and painted it with distemper, but I tell yer wot, it's mine and I built it...... "

:biggrin_mini2:

I just got one of those Moguls. It now has a crew, a coaled tender and a lamp headcode. It's now my model, and no distemper to be seen!

I too must add my pleas.........

Like a number of others, I gain inspiration from this thread like I do from few others. I have many wagons to build for my layout to be and others to be modified from RTR before some EMUS to build and/or modify,

I too am a builder, but have to do the house before I can build my layout *sighs*  ,,,,,,,,,, I neeed my Wright Writes fix to get me there!

Emma

• Like 1

Having been inundated by personal requests in the last 24 hours not to close Wright Writes (not that I can), I have to say I've been overwhelmed by the response. So, thank you all for that. Having words like 'influential' and 'inspiring' mentioned is very humbling, and carries with it a great sense of responsibility. 

So, I'll try and restrict myself to no more than a post here and there (not uniform in time, just as appropriate), because I still think I 'waste' far too much time on this keyboard. Chatting to a mate a few minutes ago, I said that on one day this week I'd spent over two and a half hours in one session. I wonder what could have been achieved in two and a half hours of personal, practical modelling instead? That said, it is gratifying to see so much personal modelling on here and, if possible, helping folk in their modelling projects. 

Another factor in my reticence to fully carry on, and I hope I say this without prejudice, is that some of what's been posted from time to time I just 'don't get'. I think I have a broad sense of humour, but some attempts at humour (not just on this thread - the MRJ one, for instance) are puerile in the extreme and add nothing, in my opinion, to the 'worth' of a discussion or debate. Please, don't stop being humorous, but keep it that way - humorous. Someone suggested just ignoring posts one is not interested in - a good idea. 

Speaking of modelling, I've had a go at making some metal railings. I know this might sound daft (because of the expense) because I've used Markits extra long handrail pillars, with three holes in them (their primary function is in adorning 19th Century locos).

post-18225-0-77326900-1490977561_thumb.jpg 

This prototype picture was taken in 1911, just after the main line was quadrupled and the station area rebuilt. The railings are to the right. They have five (or even six) rails. 

post-18225-0-58761400-1490977559_thumb.jpg

The ones I've made for the model have three rails (you can't get five-pierced long handrail pillars). I have no picture of these railings in 1958 (they could have been removed by then for all I know), but I'm happy to accept the compromise (there's still much more to be done). At least, if nothing else, the picture shows how the overall scene is coming together on LB. Lots of non-railway stuff as well, which is important. What's also apparent is how difficult it is (or it is for me) to replicate a prototype picture - not just because of the problems of optics and perspective, but because of the impossibility of ensuring that EVERY structure is in exactly the right place and in exactly the right orientation with its neighbours. 

Various FALCON models have appeared in the last day or two - my compliments to the builders. Please, anyone else with a model of this one-off, post pictures. 

post-18225-0-53426100-1490977557_thumb.jpg

If 4mm RTR is taking over, the same could now be said for 7mm. I have no idea what this Heljan O Gauge FALCON costs, but it's mighty impressive. However, it's not as interesting to me as the scratch-built /kit-bashed/modified ones which have recently appeared.

post-18225-0-40425100-1490977555_thumb.jpg 

Ones like this, built by my elder son, Tom, in his late-teens. The main body-work and ends he scratch-built from Plastikard, with (I think) Craftsman or A1 Models etched overlays added (does anyone know which, please?) It rides on a modified Lima Class 31 chassis. Ian Rathbone painted it in the appropriate shades of 'slime' green and brown, and Tom weathered it. It's appearance on LB is wholly anachronistic, because it wasn't built until the station had been demolished. We just keep it as a curiosity piece.

Once again, many thanks for all the recent comments.  

post-18225-0-40425100-1490977555_thumb.jpg

post-18225-0-53426100-1490977557_thumb.jpg

post-18225-0-58761400-1490977559_thumb.jpg

post-18225-0-77326900-1490977561_thumb.jpg

Edited by Tony Wright
  • Like 15

• RMweb Gold

I liked your poxy diesel kit, it looked pretty decent to me or is that just the colour that you are referring too?

Well, it's okay, but it isn't up to the standard that others have shown on this thread.

Hi Phil

Is it a Silver Fox model? I have one in the same livery. it is a nice model, one of Silver Foxes better ones. 

I also have this scratchbuilt effort, sorry it is hiding behind a Brush 2, he is a little scared of being on RMweb. Last time he appeared on RMweb was when I said the Heljan loco did quite look right and I posted a photo of this model explaining about the angles of the lower front. Heljan one still looks too square to the rails to me. I was reported to the moderators for posting a photo of an old kit. :scared:

attachicon.gif014 small.jpg

It does seem to be an "N-gin" that causes controversy. :no: :no:

Yes, it is a Silver Fox and I agree with you on the profile of the front of the Heljan Falcon, but the grilles are a little more realistic.

• RMweb Premium

Just a thought on the railings at LB, wouldn't the original ones have gone during the war on the scrap for spitfires endeavours or the like? A lot of railings in cities went but countryside ones I'd not be so certain about. So one could argue modellers licence on this surely unless there is some positive proof out there ...

The trouble is, as I've just found out, searching for pictures of Little Bytham in the 1950's on Google seems to pull up a large number that depict a model of the station, I wonder whose that is?

• RMweb Premium

Well, it's okay, but it isn't up to the standard that others have shown on this thread.

Yes, it is a Silver Fox and I agree with you on the profile of the front of the Heljan Falcon, but the grilles are a little more realistic.

Hi Phil

One of the advantages of plastic moulding is areas like grilles, I could never understand why modellers replaced very well moulded Lima grilles with (often distorted) etched grilles. The masters for a resin model can achieve wonderful detail but not always to the same level as a plastic mould. Even less so with a white metal kit. Some etched kits do not always attain the same finesse of a RTR loco with regard to the grilles. As for sctrachbuilding, in the 30 years since I built Falcon I still haven't worked out who to scribe grilles on plastic card where the supporting members can be seen behind the grilles. I have tried to do a deeper cut where there is no supporting bodywork but that always looks rubbish. So on my handbuilt efforts I will never have grilles to the standard that the RTR guys manage.

• Like 1

• RMweb Gold

attachicon.gifWA-7 Station Road lkg North.jpg

This prototype picture was taken in 1911, just after the main line was quadrupled and the station area rebuilt. The railings are to the right. They have five (or even six) rails. 

attachicon.gifStation Road looking north B&W.jpg

The ones I've made for the model have three rails (you can't get five-pierced long handrail pillars).

Those look good, Tony.

Given the ubiquity of that general type of railing, it would be good if there was an affordable scenic item to do the job. I think Langley offer a "pier railing" or something similar, which I used on this scene but they aren't quite right for a town or city scene, I feel, needing more rails:

index.php?app=core&module=attach&section

(Picture by Andy Y).

Alastair

ps - like many I'd like to thank you for the contributions and inspiration on this thread over the years - but please don't let it become a burden if it gets in the way of modelling time.

• Like 8

Tony,

This thread was your creation and long may it continue with you taking an active part or taking a back seat.

Humour is a strange thing and people either get it or they do not.

I take part in the MRJ thread.

I get some positive comments and I get some negative comments.

One editor got a bit miffed at one of my remarks but other people accepted it as a realistic exercise.

I go by the issue being a success or not as to how many copies are sold at our local newsagents.

To me that is a valid study.

As the particular issue did not sell well I reported that I and the local population decided that it was a not so good an issue.

I reported the findings in what I termed to be a light hearted manner. 

Unfortunately the editor could not take it in the spirit in which it was intended.

I also take part in another joke on Wikipedia.

There is a list of famous former pupils from my old school.

This gets updated from time to time and some people find it quite a laugh as to who is in and who is out.

It is maintained by people with an incredible in depth knowledge.

Now to many people it is nonsense but to those in the know it is hilarious.

Being very strong on media celebrities makes rejection particularly harsh to those with big egos.

I should add that I am not on the list but I have a few good friends who are.

Both here and there rather than comment adversely it would be better for those who do not understand other peoples jokes to ignore them.

Bernard

• RMweb Gold

Hi Tony,

May I belatedly add my plea to those of many others for you to continue, albeit at whatever pace & frequency suits you and does not interfere with core modelling activities?

To my way of thinking, Wright Writes is akin to a pub conversation that one has with mates - some of whom you agree with, some not, and there is always going to be someone who says something outrageous, ill-informed or plain stupid, but it is pretty much all said with good humour, and amongst all of the other stuff there are some real nuggets that one can take away, reflect on and learn from.

In my railway modelling life, I have been through the RTR only, and the cheque-book modelling phases especially when time poor, although I have always undertaken all of my own wiring, track-laying, and scenery development etc, but like many others I have been inspired through this thread, through visiting LB, and through your personal coaching to up my standards, take on new challenges and particularly to build my first locos.

The web and RMWeb especially can be addictive and time consuming, however, I don't post something every day but I always take time to read Wright Writes!

Long may it continue.

Tony

• Like 3

I thought the railings you built on LB just look the part.  As for the difficulties photographing LB compared to the original, this takes me back to comments I made about the diorama effect of a model-it is the overall composition of a layout that matters, how everything blends together, and how it all presents as a whole to the observer.  This is where LB is outstanding-do I really notice that the gauge is just over four foot?  No. Am I concerned that Falcon should not be there?  Hardly-the overall effect is so convincing.

Or put another way, the local Vintage Vehicle society hired out a Leyland bus for filming in Ireland.  Repainting in appropriate livery for the period depicted helped set the timeframe for the story and everything about the film looked authentic.  However, no Leyland bus was ever operated by the company in the area at the time portrayed.  

I would like to see an HST set powering through LB-it would look tremendous with LB as a backdrop.  Not authentic?  Who Cares?

As for the comedy element, perhaps a thread entitlted New Faces could deal with such content.post-19381-0-49870000-1490990558_thumb.jpgpost-19381-0-54827800-1490990599_thumb.jpg

• Like 4

Inspired by this thread I've built this:

post-12773-0-98182000-1490991150_thumb.jpg

Tonight I've fettled the coupling rods and the chassis moves freely along the rails, tomorrow I will try it under power.  as I said last night, this is a place where I could gather information, ask questions and get good advice. Tony, use this thread as you feel appropriate but like many on here I find it a very important place to drop by each day.

By the way, it is not a J72, I've bashed it into something passing for a J65 and still lots to do, an enjoyable challenge.

Martyn

Edited for grammar error, how did I write sir's name without a capital letter - I am now writing lines on the naughty step!

Edited by mullie
  • Like 6

Behind the fence on the left was a footpath known locally as the black pad. It was popular with both train spotters and courting couples, or in the case of one local lad a combination of the two. He would make sure he positioned his girlfriend up against the fence so that he could keep at least one eye on the coming and goings on the mainline.

Photo courtesy of D Shore.

post-26757-0-59432900-1490994459_thumb.jpg

• Like 15

..... He would make sure he positioned his girlfriend up against the fence so that he could keep at least one eye on the coming and goings on the mainline.

......And when she saw the whites of his eyes, she could never be sure whether it was Cock o' the North or just another A3... 

Edited by coachmann
  • Like 1

Speaking of modelling, I've had a go at making some metal railings. I know this might sound daft (because of the expense) because I've used Markits extra long handrail pillars, with three holes in them (their primary function is in adorning 19th Century locos).

Hello Tony

I like your railings. Interestingly these cast iron posts can be obtained as 3D printed items from Shapeways - I bought some last year. I have also made a concrete type post as used by the GN on station platforms - I'll take a photo or two and post later, plus info on the Shapeways items for anyone interested.

Andrew Emmett

• RMweb Gold

Hello Tony

I like your railings. Interestingly these cast iron posts can be obtained as 3D printed items from Shapeways - I bought some last year. I have also made a concrete type post as used by the GN on station platforms - I'll take a photo or two and post later, plus info on the Shapeways items for anyone interested.

Andrew Emmett

Would these be the railings from Jason?

https://www.shapeways.com/product/BNPN6ZCKV/gnr-post-x-50-4mm-scale?optionId=59558408

They're in 10's, 20's and 60's

• RMweb Premium

attachicon.gifWA-7 Station Road lkg North.jpg

attachicon.gifStation Road looking north B&W.jpg

The ones I've made for the model have three rails (you can't get five-pierced long handrail pillars). I have no picture of these railings in 1958 (they could have been removed by then for all I know), but I'm happy to accept the compromise (there's still much more to be done). At least, if nothing else, the picture shows how the overall scene is coming together on LB. Lots of non-railway stuff as well, which is important. What's also apparent is how difficult it is (or it is for me) to replicate a prototype picture - not just because of the problems of optics and perspective, but because of the impossibility of ensuring that EVERY structure is in exactly the right place and in exactly the right orientation with its neighbours. 

Edited by Mallard60022