RMweb

Wright writes.....

Good Morning Tony

I understand you had a look at Mr Tailby's two 08 shunters, and gave them back. Well he had asked everyone who he thought could fix them without showing his mere operating assistant. Once they were returned I done a quick bit of diagnosis on both of them. One plastic final drive gear was split (common on Bachmann 08s), and the other has a outside crank split so was throwing the quartering all over the shop (Ultrascale wheels and cranks). Spotted in seconds.  

Thanks Clive,

I think I spotted in seconds that both were beyond me. 

Were you able to fix them? He brought one back, and it was worse!

I have one more Mk.1 end here for you. It must have fallen on the floor. 

Regards,

Tony. 

• RMweb Premium

Hello Tony

The split gear wheel can be replaced, I have one myself to do so I am ordering two , one for me and one for me to fit to Dave's loco. The broken crank is replaceable if Ultrascale can supply just one crank. Both are made from a hard nylon type plastic and once split or cracked are in reality are useless. We did try superglue, no you cannot solder plastic, on the crank but it gave way after the third revolution of the driving wheel. Romford extended axles with outside cranks never fail and if slightly out can be adjusted with a hot iron.

It looks like I will be bringing two and a bit finished coaches to yours on the 12th. I will collect the runaway end then.

• Like 2

I too enjoyed the York show and felt the effort of getting there was worth it. I did feel however, that there were too many demonstrators as, in addition to our Leader's corner, there were others around mostly on the scale society's stands basically doing the same thing. I spent some time watching the 2mm stand as it was near Jol's layout, and they did not talk to the public at all!  That is a good way of getting your message over!

The 2mm layout St Ruth was simply stunning and was working well all the time i was watching. Perhaps this is the way forward for space starved modellers in the future. I have to say I was tempted but doubt my eyes could cope with it now.

I did winder how the chaps with small shunting planks would preserve their sanity over 3 days of operating. That is real dedication. On one 7mm one . one of the operators was so tired he spent 15mins trying to couple a set of wagons which were equipped with 3 links chains.

Also went to the NRM for the first time in many years. Still a good experience though some of the small exhibits in the side display areas are looking very tired. Perhaps it is time to put some of the current stand models on display rather than the rather crude if charming items currently in the display cases.

Thank you to all involved for a great show.

Martin Long

I too enjoyed the York show and felt the effort of getting there was worth it. I did feel however, that there were too many demonstrators as, in addition to our Leader's corner, there were others around mostly on the scale society's stands basically doing the same thing. I spent some time watching the 2mm stand as it was near Jol's layout, and they did not talk to the public at all!  That is a good way of getting your message over!

The 2mm layout St Ruth was simply stunning and was working well all the time i was watching. Perhaps this is the way forward for space starved modellers in the future. I have to say I was tempted but doubt my eyes could cope with it now.

I did winder how the chaps with small shunting planks would preserve their sanity over 3 days of operating. That is real dedication. On one 7mm one . one of the operators was so tired he spent 15mins trying to couple a set of wagons which were equipped with 3 links chains.

Also went to the NRM for the first time in many years. Still a good experience though some of the small exhibits in the side display areas are looking very tired. Perhaps it is time to put some of the current stand models on display rather than the rather crude if charming items currently in the display cases.

Thank you to all involved for a great show.

Martin Long

Thanks Martin,

Good to see you, as always..................

I'm not sure that there were too many demonstrators at York, though how many in number is too many, or too few? 

Certainly, the bit I was in was very varied and very busy. 

post-18225-0-38087800-1522751423_thumb.jpg

Les Nehrlich's weathering demonstration was very popular (obviously not when I took this shot before the show opened). 

I certainly agree with you that demonstrators at shows should engage with the public, otherwise what's the point of their being there? As for talking to the public, in my case Mo told me to quieten down or shut up, as I was drowning out the voices of the other demonstrators in my area! My apologies to all those I must have deafened. 

I agree with you that St. Ruth is simply stunning, and the best in the show as far as I'm concerned. I'm sorry that I never got the opportunity to photograph it. 

However, as mentioned already, I did photograph the second best (in my view), London Road. 

post-18225-0-14084300-1522751792_thumb.jpg

post-18225-0-40819300-1522751816_thumb.jpg

I cannot argue, that from this sort of viewpoint, P4/S4 is so much more realistic than (my) OO layout(s). However, may I ask a question, please? Where are the head and tail lamps? I simply wouldn't take a picture on LB if the locos and rear vehicles were not displaying the correct lamps. Another question might be, how come the L&NWR loco crews were so hardy? As far as I could see, none of their cabs had spectacle glass! 

Finally, weren't the railways in pre-Grouping days always clean? 

post-18225-0-72699900-1522751995_thumb.jpg

Jol, my good friend, you'll either have to remove your pet spiders or train them to string 4mm telegraph wires! 

My thanks to you and the others for enabling me to get the pictures. The privilege is appreciated. 

Edited to include an essential 'thanks'..................

Edited by Tony Wright
  • Like 10

I spent some time watching the 2mm stand as it was near Jol's layout, and they did not talk to the public at all!  That is a good way of getting your message over!

I spent over half an hour (on the Saturday) talking to Mick Simpson on the 2mm stand...

John

• Like 1

• RMweb Gold

Martin Long

Apologies for not beating about the bush but this statement is complete rubbish. I was giving a demo on building locomotives and stock in 2mm and spent the entire weekend talking to the public, as did my colleagues on the adjacent 2mm Roadshow stand, to the extent that I was running out of voice by the end of each day.

Do you really mean that there were too many demonstrators or that some of the demonstrators were doing things that didn't particularly interest you and were therefore surplus to requirements? Did you make any attempt to talk to us? Being directly opposite Squires there were an awful lot of people around.

I was too busy talking to the public to have a proper look round the other demonstrators enclave but were there really demonstrators up there doing basically the same thing - building locos in 2FS, converting N gauge locos to 2FS, building 2mm point ridding or showing off our new Easitrac and drop in wheels? No, I thought not!!

If you are going to make sweeping statements like this, criticising modellers who have given up their weekend to help other modellers who fancy having a go at making something (surely the central theme of this thread) please at least have the decency to make the statement accurate.

Jerry Clifford (just in case there is any uncertainty over who has made this grumpy post)

• Like 5

• RMweb Premium

Apologies for not beating about the bush but this statement is complete rubbish. I was giving a demo on building locomotives and stock in 2mm and spent the entire weekend talking to the public, as did my colleagues on the adjacent 2mm Roadshow stand, to the extent that I was running out of voice by the end of each day.

Do you really mean that there were too many demonstrators or that some of the demonstrators were doing things that didn't particularly interest you and were therefore surplus to requirements? Did you make any attempt to talk to us? Being directly opposite Squires there were an awful lot of people around.

I was too busy talking to the public to have a proper look round the other demonstrators enclave but were there really demonstrators up there doing basically the same thing - building locos in 2FS, converting N gauge locos to 2FS, building 2mm point ridding or showing off our new Easitrac and drop in wheels? No, I thought not!!

If you are going to make sweeping statements like this, criticising modellers who have given up their weekend to help other modellers who fancy having a go at making something (surely the central theme of this thread) please at least have the decency to make the statement accurate.

Jerry Clifford (just in case there is any uncertainty over who has made this grumpy post)

I've seen Jerry on his and other demo stands at a fair few shows and can honestly say that I have never seen him not talking to folk. He's one of the most outgoing and happy to help / publicise the hobby folk I've met. If anything I bet Kim has a right game shutting him up!

• RMweb Premium

I can vouch for Jerry since we were sat at his side, we spent all day Saturday and most of Sunday talking non stop on our demonstration. Monday was a bit quieter and we both got a little building done in between.

Michael and Judith Edge

I can also vouch for Jerry Clifford's ability to engage with visitors, since we were sitting by his side at Southampton this year, and have been sitting (not sat, please!) next to him and Kim at several other shows in recent times. He's far more engaging than I am, especially with children and the inexperienced; with the former, I glare and they usually flee, though I do try to help the latter. 

I will accept, however, that not all demonstrators talk to visitors as much as they might. A head-down attitude will often preclude a 'breaking of the ice', and I admit that if I'm in deep conversation with friends, it can be hard for other visitors to ask questions. I also accept that it's often impossible to engage with everyone. Perhaps it was just unfortunate timing in the instance cited. Who knows?

What I do know is that at a well-attended show, I get very little actually 'built' as a demonstrator. That being the case, I count it a success. 

post-18225-0-78936900-1522776038_thumb.jpg

For part of the morning of the Thursday before the York Show, I put together the basic running chassis for this SE Finecast A3. The reason for this is that I try to have something new at each show I attend as a demonstrator. At York, the SE Finecast/Branchlines/Nu-Cast J6 was seen complete for the first time, one of a pair of DJH A2/2s had more done to it than at Nottingham a fortnight before and I used the boiler unit construction of the A3 above to demonstrate white metal soldering. Having fixed both halves together at York, I spent some three hours this afternoon getting the whole thing to this stage (including a break to see England's inability to take ten Kiwi wickets on a helpful pitch). For the next show, the A2/2 should be complete and the A3 will have a lot more done to it. What I will say is this - I'd have got nowhere near this amount done in three hours' demonstrating (nor would I want to). 

It'll eventually be 60102 SIR FREDERICK BANBURY (with a round dome), made to replace a Hornby one I sold a couple of years ago. This one will pull! 

One question many folk ask relates to the speed at which I appear to build things. The answer is quite simple - I don't have a great deal of patience! 

Edited by Tony Wright
  • Like 9

Tony,

many thanks for taking those excellent photos. I look forward to seeing the others when I receive the disc.

Having just returned from taking the hire van back, after driving home today, I felt I should reply to your observations.

We now have a supply of excellent LNWR loco lamps from Alan Butler of Modelu and these are being fitted, but clearly not all those locos so equipped weren't put onto the scenic section for your photos. The Precursor and Precursor tank are both fitted (the locos passing the signal boxes in the photos) but I clearly need to, "A" get them fitted to all my locos and, "B" have a word with the operators.

The signal failure issue applied to three of the servo driven semaphore signals (the most important and obvious ones) controlled by one servo driver unit. The other semaphore and ground signals were all okay (run from different control board units). Typically this worked perfectly after setting up on Friday, but failed totally on Saturday morning when the power was turned on. A spare board was fitted, the continuity of connections checked, all servos disconnected and reconnected one at a time to identify if there was a defective one, but all to no avail. So that's one pf the things on the York "defect" log for attention , it's been an intermittent but ongoing problem with the controller for those signals, usually fixed after checking the connections, reinstalling the unit, etc. so I think I have a problem somewhere deeper in the electric connections for that item that needs diagnosing, what fun! The original signals, operated by ex-PO relays, are much more reliable.

Spider management is a big problem where I store the baseboards and despite cleaning and hovering the layout we missed that bit of web. It's often the case that the camera will show what the naked eye misses. Hopefully the culprit will have stayed at York.

One final bit of information. The original London Road layout was built by John Redrup (London Road Models) and two friends in the mid 1980s. and most of that provides the "south"  half of the current layout. I restored the old terminus version after John and I bought it back and I then took it over entirely. The other "north" end is very largely my own work, so all errors, defects, etc. are my responsibility. The stock is owned by John or me, but I happily allow the occasional visiting locos and stock, as we did at York, with John Sherratt's NSR Tank, Hywel Rees's LNWR Superheater Tank and Paul Cram's NER carriage truck and van. They are three of the widespread operating team, all the others modelling periods or railway companies whose stock unfortunately isn't appropriate. 

I managed to get a bit of time to look around the show on Monday and also very much liked St Ruth, Crumley and Wickham (unusual and distinctive presentation), Waterloo Street and Gweek North Quay, which I believe received the Mike Cooke Memorial Award. Regrettably some layouts were rather poorly displayed/presented, which made it difficult to appreciate the modelling. Once again it was interesting to note that the ladies visiting the show were most interested in the small details, whereas the men are drawn to the locos and rolling stock. It's nice to have the work appreciated that goes into researching and modelling those small details which hopefully recreate the atmosphere of the period.

Jol

Edited by Jol Wilkinson
  • Like 7

Tony,

many thanks for taking those excellent photos. I look forward to seeing the others when I receive the disc.

Having just returned from taking the hire van back, after driving home today, I felt I should reply to your observations.

We now have a supply of excellent LNWR loco lamps from Alan Butler of Modelu and these are being fitted, but clearly not all those locos so equipped weren't put onto the scenic section for your photos. The Precursor and Precursor tank are both fitted (the locos passing the signal boxes in the photos) but I clearly need to, "A" get them fitted to all my locos and, "B" have a word with the operators.

The signal failure issue applied to three of the servo driven semaphore signals (the most important and obvious ones) controlled by one servo driver unit. The other semaphore and ground signals were all okay (run from different control board units). Typically this worked perfectly after setting up on Friday, but failed totally on Saturday morning when the power was turned on. A spare board was fitted, the continuity of connections checked, all servos disconnected and reconnected one at a time to identify if there was a defective one, but all to no avail. So that's one pf the things on the York "defect" log for attention , it's been an intermittent but ongoing problem with the controller for those signals, usually fixed after checking the connections, reinstalling the unit, etc. so I think I have a problem somewhere deeper in the electric connections for that item that needs diagnosing, what fun! The original signals, operated by ex-PO relays, are much more reliable.

Spider management is a big problem where I store the baseboards and despite cleaning and hovering the layout we missed that bit of web. It's often the case that the camera will show what the naked eye misses. Hopefully the culprit will have stayed at York.

One final bit of information. The original London Road layout was built by John Redrup (London Road Models) and two friends in the mid 1980s. and most of that provides the "south"  half of the current layout. I restored the old terminus version after John and I bought it back and I then took it over entirely. The other "north" end is very largely my own work, so all errors, defects, etc. are my responsibility. The stock is owned by John or me, but I happily allow the occasional visiting locos and stock, as we did at York, with John Sherratt's NSR Tank, Hywel Rees's LNWR Superheater Tank and Paul Cram's NER carriage truck and van. They are three of the widespread operating team, all the others modelling periods or railway companies whose stock unfortunately isn't appropriate. 

I managed to get a bit of time to look around the show on Monday and also very much liked St Ruth, Crumley and Wickham (unusual and distinctive presentation), Waterloo Street and Gweek North Quay, which I believe received the Mike Cooke Memorial Award. Regrettably some layouts were rather poorly displayed/presented, which made it difficult to appreciate the modelling. Once again it was interesting to note that the ladies visiting the show were most interested in the small details, whereas the men are drawn to the locos and rolling stock. It's nice to have the work appreciated that goes into researching and modelling those small details which hopefully recreate the atmosphere of the period.

Jol

Thanks Jol,

The disc will be in the post tomorrow. Please use the nine pictures wherever you like. 

Regards,

Tony. 

• Like 1

Martin Long

Interesting - you should have come over and had a chat with us instead of spending so long watching from afar. I spent a day on the 2mm Roadshow (plus a few hours on the Monday afternoon just before closing) and in all that time I only managed to solder three bits of nickel silver together, as there was a steady stream of visitors stopping to chat. Over the course of the weekend we answered queries from a number of both 2mm members and non-members, and sold a good quantity of 2mm booklets and beginners kits, so I find your comments somewhat puzzling.

I'll admit that our corner of the ground floor was somewhat cramped - we should have had more space, but the Squires stand was larger than the plan said it should have been - and that did make it difficult to fit in the 2mm Roadshow alongside Kim and Jerry and Mike and Judith's demo stands, and also it was at times tricky for people to sit on the chairs on the public side of the tables at times. I much prefer being on one of the upper floors at York, but being next to the visiting 2mm layout (and Jerry's demo stand) makes sense, and the St. Ruth guys had specifically asked for a dark corner to showcase their fantastic lighting effects.

Andy

• Like 1

• RMweb Gold

As we've not had any B16 pictures on here for a few days, I hope you won't mind me posting a couple of photos of my progress with a Steve Barnfield B16 kit:

attachicon.gifBarnfieldB16a.jpgattachicon.gifBarnfieldB16b.jpg

It's a bit rough and ready at the moment and buffers, cab roof and smokebox door are not attached as yet (hence wire sticking out where the smokebox door handle will be). A big thank you to Mikemeg and Rob Pulham as their B16 build threads have been really useful.

Simon Grand

Simon has very modestly forgotten to mention that this is shot down 2mm version of the kit. Great progress since I last saw it, looking forward to seeing it finished!

Jerry

As we've not had any B16 pictures on here for a few days, I hope you won't mind me posting a couple of photos of my progress with a Steve Barnfield B16 kit:

attachicon.gifBarnfieldB16a.jpgattachicon.gifBarnfieldB16b.jpg

It's a bit rough and ready at the moment and buffers, cab roof and smokebox door are not attached as yet (hence wire sticking out where the smokebox door handle will be). A big thank you to Mikemeg and Rob Pulham as their B16 build threads have been really useful.

Simon Grand

Simon has very modestly forgotten to mention that this is shot down 2mm version of the kit. Great progress since I last saw it, looking forward to seeing it finished!

Jerry

• RMweb Premium

Morning al from a temporarily sunny bit of the Charente Maritime. It was good to see Tony at York and arrange a trip to see LB in the flesh before I come over the France permanently. As to demonstrators, I talked to three and got good helpful advice from all three that I couldn't get elsewhere.

a) Tony talked me through his method of using pins instead of rivets to assemble valve gear.

b) Mike Edge gave me some very useful advice about pantograph springs. Not a subject you see talked about much so it was very useful to be able to talk to someone who knows about such an obscure subject.

c) A guy, whose name I can't remember talked me through how to make split moulds for resin casting. I might well have a go.

All three were in different parts of the show and all three gave useful helpful advice.

I also like London Road and Euxton junction. Someone on there also gave me some useful advice about OHLE.

All in all a good show and a credit to Malcolm and his team.

Jamie

• Like 2

Hello Tony and all

Last week you suggested we post what we are up to. No loco, coach or wagon construction but I have been a tad busy with this.

attachicon.gif100_4786.JPG

attachicon.gif100_4774.JPG

attachicon.gif100_4767.JPG

attachicon.gif100_4761.JPG

Great stuff Clive,

Thanks for posting.

However, I regret giving you those tension-locks at York. Don't you think they look awful?

Regards,

Tony. 

Jerry

Jerry

Thanks for pointing that out, Jerry,

When I first looked, I just assumed it was 4mm - it's that good!

The subject of B16s keeps on cropping up on this thread (please keep them coming), so I'll continue the ball rolling. I don't know whether the Steve Barnfield kit is still available in 4mm, but the PDK one is. 

post-18225-0-55118900-1522827929_thumb.jpg

This is the one I mentioned a short time ago, built for Tom Foster by Paul Hill. The wrong bogie wheels (two-few spokes and of the wrong shape) are apparent.

post-18225-0-83466500-1522828023_thumb.jpg

post-18225-0-53358800-1522828052_thumb.jpg

With the correct bogie wheels (AGW), the difference is very apparent. This sort of thing still puzzles me (other than the problems in painting lined bogie wheels), when folk retain the original RTR bogie/pony wheels in OO, even though they don't have train set curves.

post-18225-0-78073900-1522828232_thumb.jpg

Now my property (after a mechanical tweak), it sees regular use on LB.

post-18225-0-15464600-1522828287_thumb.jpg

In company with one of its rebuilt siblings.

post-18225-0-94899200-1522828328_thumb.jpg

post-18225-0-62621600-1522828357_thumb.jpg

This is the one I built, painted by Ian Rathbone in LNER guise. It sees regular service on Grantham and will be running during the LNER weekend on Little Bytham in August.

post-18225-0-98214100-1522828447_thumb.jpg

I also have a DJH B16/1, built by Tony Geary. The over-scale lamps have been replaced.

post-18225-0-03177000-1522828505_thumb.jpg

It, too, sees regular use on LB. So does my ancient Nu-Cast B16/3 alongside, but that one is showing its age.

Apologies if some of these images have appeared before. 

What about an RTR B16 (of any type) in OO? I've mentioned it to manufacturers, and shown some models, but there didn't seem to be much excitement. But, who knows? Certainly not me. 

Edited by Tony Wright
  • Like 12

• RMweb Premium

Great stuff Clive,

Thanks for posting.

However, I regret giving you those tension-locks at York. Don't you think they look awful?

Regards,

Tony. 

Hello Tony

They do look really 'orrid. For a one man operated layout where coupling and uncoupling will take place frequently they have an advantage. After two weekends of three link couplings my sanity is beginning to  take a hit. As time progresses the coach rakes and the DMUs will be closer coupled. The priority at the moment is getting the layout operational. Then sort the stock out, correct headcodes, destination blinds and lamps for the steam locos. Crews for steam locos are a must. Diesels and DMUs, are drivers that visible?  And someone sat in the rear cab looks equally as daft as no one in the leading cab.

• Like 2

The Steve Barnfield B16 kit is now part of the London Road Models range but for reasons not relevant to this thread has been delayed in being put back into production. The two other SB 4mm NER kits, the BTP 0-4-4T and the NER M/Q (LNER D17)  are also available from LRM.

However, the B16 will be available in the very near future and will also include the later 49a boiler option and a new EM and P4 friendly footplate  with beaded or plain splasher options. The original footplate with fold up beaded side splashers will also be in the kit (it's part of the original etch artwork). This is okay for 00, but is tight on clearance for the wider gauges and doesn't give the later plain splasher option. Introduction date will depend on arrival of the new etches which are currently on order and completion of the revised instructions. Details will appear on the LRM website when the kit is available.

Edited by Jol Wilkinson
  • Like 6

With the correct bogie wheels (AGW), the difference is very apparent. This sort of thing still puzzles me (other than the problems in painting lined bogie wheels), when folk retain the original RTR bogie/pony wheels in OO, even though they don't have train set curves.

I wholly agree, and plead guilty to failing to change RTR bogie and pony wheels in many cases. In mitigation I can only state that I'm too mean to keep buying new carrying wheels and I'm short of time anyway. Where the new wheels would have to be painted green to and lined to a standard that matches the rest of loco, the time and stress penalty associated with making the change is also significant....

What about an RTR B16 (of any type) in OO? I've mentioned it to manufacturers, and shown some models, but there didn't seem to be much excitement. But, who knows? Certainly not me. 

I had conversations with two RTR manufacturers/commissioners/suppliers at the York show.

One, who I have known for several years, asked my view on what pre-group carriages might be worth producing. 

The other seemed to think he was responsible for single handedly creating interest in pre-group models.

I gave one the benefit of my advice, for what that is worth. I tried to suggest to the other that selling pre-group locos didn't necessarily mean it prompted or enthused people to go on to actually model pre-group as there was little RTR (if any) stock to run with locos so far available, just that there are sufficient jackdaw minded collectors and "modellers" willing to buy whatever they have produced. I think I failed to get point of view understood.

• Like 2

• RMweb Gold

I had conversations with two RTR manufacturers/commissioners/suppliers at the York show.

One, who I have known for several years, asked my view on what pre-group carriages might be worth producing. 

The other seemed to think he was responsible for single handedly creating interest in pre-group models.

I gave one the benefit of my advice, for what that is worth. I tried to suggest to the other that selling pre-group locos didn't necessarily mean it prompted or enthused people to go on to actually model pre-group as there was little RTR (if any) stock to run with locos so far available, just that there are sufficient jackdaw minded collectors and "modellers" willing to buy whatever they have produced. I think I failed to get point of view understood.

Nail struck firmly on the head there Jol in the last sentence,

The Hornby SECR fully lined out 0-6-0's went like sh!t off a stainless steel shovel, but hardly led to a plethora of pre-grouing southern layouts for whatever reason.

Mike.