RMweb

Wright writes.....

i believe im right in thinking that Mallard wasnt actually running at 126mph on the modelled area, but was still accelerating towards the record books.

The actual peak (marked by a sign on the east side of the railway) is about two and a half miles south of LB, near the village of Carlby. Essendine is equidistant, but the brakes were on by then. 

On the day, MALLARD must have been doing about 123 mph through LB. I must have been quite a sight! 

• Like 3

Twice that! 

Or, at least, my own model of MALLARD (Pro-Scale) will (in 'proper' green). 

Regards,

Tony. 

That's amazing. The things one learns, eh? I had thought I was fairly au fait with my LNER knowledge, but I'm delighted to discover that surprises still lurk and await me.

I had no idea that Mallard was ever turned out in LNER Apple Green...  :onthequiet:

• Like 1

Twice that! 

Or, at least, my own model of MALLARD (Pro-Scale) will (in 'proper' green). 

Regards,

Tony. 

Tony,

I think that I will have to respectfully disagree with your definition of 'proper' green...  :jester:

• RMweb Premium

Tony,

I think that I will have to respectfully disagree with your definition of 'proper' green...  :jester:

Is there such a thing as a 'proper' green.   Engines should be red.  At least the Midland saw the error of their ways in the 19th century.

Jamie  (Runs for cover)

• RMweb Premium

Is there such a thing as a 'proper' green.   Engines should be red.  At least the Midland saw the error of their ways in the 19th century.

Jamie  (Runs for cover)

Hi Jamie

I fully agree apart from diesels, who allowed Swindon to paint a diesel Crimson Lake. :dontknow: :dontknow: Swindon of all places  :nono: :nono:

And before anyone says Crewe did as well, that was because they had run out of black paint.....

• Like 1

Hi Jamie

I fully agree apart from diesels, who allowed Swindon to paint a diesel Crimson Lake. :dontknow: :dontknow: Swindon of all places  :nono: :nono:

And before anyone says Crewe did as well, that was because they had run out of black paint.....

post-25312-0-87330400-1525181222_thumb.jpg

:sungum:    :O      :mosking:    :locomotive:

Edited by Lecorbusier
  • Like 4

Moving the topic back over to prototypical layouts for a moment, if I may. I've just completed the Finetrax crossover kit for my N gauge reditioning of Hadley Wood.

post-943-0-07498400-1525194578_thumb.jpg

This has taken the better part of a day threading plastic chairs (lost count of how many) onto rails and when I got around to filing the point blades it came as a relief! This is the most complex piece of track formation at Hadley Wood which is another reason why I've been drawn to modelling the station. I've still got two more turnouts to build but I'm relieved that this one is out of the way!  

• Like 7

Is there such a thing as a 'proper' green. Engines should be red. At least the Midland saw the error of their ways in the 19th century.

Jamie (Runs for cover)

There were only 2 'proper' greens used post 1923. Middle chrome green and olive (or sage) green.as used by the GW and its near tramway the Southern Edited by Denbridge

• RMweb Premium

Is there such a thing as a 'proper' green. Engines should be red. At least the Midland saw the error of their ways in the 19th century.

Jamie (Runs for cover)

Having just had a fantastic long weekend at Dampfspektakel 2018, I tend to agree.......provided the red is kept below the footplate!

post-19760-0-89014900-1525196162_thumb.jpeg

• Like 7

• RMweb Gold

Tony,

I wonder if you would answer a question which is purely hypothetical please? I'd just love to know the answer. Perhaps others here would too.

If an exceptionally rich modeller made herself known to you at a show and said "I model in OO gauge 4mm scale and want to buy your layout Little Bytham. Name your price and I will pay it.",  would you be tempted to sell? 

I'm not prying into the price you would want you understand, I'm just interested to know if LB has an "offer you couldn't refuse" price. 

Archie

• RMweb Premium

attachicon.gifclass-08-diesel-shunter-ted-denyer.jpg

:sungum:    :O      :mosking:    :locomotive:

We are talking proper raiwlays not Mr Major's subsidized privatized mess. They have used some very garish reds which any sensible person would never paint a real locomotive with, they have even been known to paint them PURPLE  :scared: 

• Like 2

• RMweb Premium

I presume that by "proper green" we are talking about GCR passenger livery and not what the late Malcolm Crawley used to refer to as GWR "cowpat green".

• Like 4

Tony,

I wonder if you would answer a question which is purely hypothetical please? I'd just love to know the answer. Perhaps others here would too.

If an exceptionally rich modeller made herself known to you at a show and said "I model in OO gauge 4mm scale and want to buy your layout Little Bytham. Name your price and I will pay it.",  would you be tempted to sell? 

I'm not prying into the price you would want you understand, I'm just interested to know if LB has an "offer you couldn't refuse" price. 

Archie

an extremely hypothetical question surely? How could one answer that unless it happened? I restored a model beam engine a good few years ago and resisted many offers. Then at a time in my life another offer was made which i accepted. Whilst it made sense at the time and i realised a 5 figure sum, ive regretted that choice ever since.

• RMweb Gold

Tony,

Archie

I wouldn't ask Tony. . .I'd ask Mo. .  :mosking:

Tony,

Archie

Archie,

An interesting, if hypothetical question, to which I have no real answer. 

Little Bytham is insured for a considerable sum. I won't say exactly, but it's a fair bit. Though it might be 'worth' that, it's really irreplaceable. Not the layout itself as such, but the locos and stock I've built over the last 45 years. I don't have the years left to me to replace all that. And that is the point. Though the insurance might cover (though I doubt it) the cost of commissioning a team of professionals to build another Little Bytham and fully stock it should anything happen, it would be of no real interest to me. I wouldn't have made it, or what goes on it. What enjoyment would I derive where all my 'modelling' was done by others?  None.

I suppose I might answer you question in a tangential way. There is no way I'm ever going to sell LB, even if someone offered a loony price (ridiculously high, I mean). It's too important to me in my retirement.

Because I'm incapable of looking after myself, it's likely that I'll predecease Mo. Though our lads have an interest, neither will be bothered in carrying it on. Thus, at my demise, what I've suggested to Mo is that she puts an advert in the RM along the lines of...................

For sale: accurate model in OO of Little Bytham, depicting the summer of 1958. Fully-operational, complete with stud of hand/kit professionally-built locomotives, most professionally-painted, plus substantial amount of professionally kit-built and modified rolling stock, and manual of operation. £700,000 - free house! 

Regards,

Tony.

Edited by Tony Wright
  • Like 18

• RMweb Premium

Jamie  (Runs for cover)

Red doesn't really suit large engines any more than it does large cars.

Archie,

An interesting, if hypothetical question, to which I have no real answer. 

Little Bytham is insured for a considerable sum. I won't say exactly, but it's a fair bit. Though it might be 'worth' that, it's really irreplaceable. Not the layout itself as such, but the locos and stock I've built over the last 45 years. I don't have the years left to me to replace all that. And that is the point. Though the insurance might cover (though I doubt it) the cost of commissioning a team of professionals to build another Little Bytham and fully stock it should anything happen, it would be of no real interest to me. I wouldn't have made it, or what goes on it. What enjoyment would I derive where all my 'modelling' was done by others?  None.

I suppose I might answer you question in a tangential way. There is no way I'm ever going to sell LB, even if someone offered a loony price (ridiculously high, I mean). It's too important to me in my retirement.

Because I'm incapable of looking after myself, it's likely that I'll predecease Mo. Though our lads have an interest, neither will be bothered in carrying it on. Thus, at my demise, what I've suggested to Mo is that she puts an advert in the RM along the lines of...................

For sale: accurate model in OO of Little Bytham, depicting the summer of 1958. Fully-operational, complete with stud of hand/kit professionally-built locomotives, most professionally-painted, plus substantial amount of professionally kit-built and modified rolling stock, and manual of operation. £700,000 - free house! 

Regards,

Tony.

I honestly don't living there and looking after the layout, the house will be a shambles but the layout will be in perfect condition. 

Not a problem, honestly, just say the word Mo! 

Good morning Jesse,

Your GoPro produces incredible results. I think between the two of you you'll produce a first-class job. I'll do the stills. 

attachicon.gifJamieson V2 Green Arrow 01.jpg

attachicon.gifJamieson V2 Green Arrow 02.jpg

One loco which will be filmed is this. I built it from a Jamieson kit, and Geoff Haynes produced the splendid paint job. It's run on Grantham, but they seem to have more than enough V2s. I'm, thus, seeking to sell it (I already have GREEN ARROW but in the BR guise in which I saw it). Are you interested? If so, let me know and I'll give you a price (£50.00 of which goes to Cancer Research). If you're happy with it, you can take it back with you to Australia. 

Kind regards,

Tony. 

I am always interested, depends on the price, as I am already getting the C2 of you.

Which you must let me know the price before I leave, so I can leave myself the extra money! 

You can email me if you like, so no pricing is public. 

All the best 

Jesse