Users will currently see a stripped down version of the site until an advertising issue is fixed. If you are seeing any suspect adverts please go to the bottom of the page and click on Themes and select IPS Default. ×
RMweb

Wright writes.....

• RMweb Premium

I met Jesse at Warley pre covid, he has grown up a bit.

Great to see younger modellers.

His age i was detailing lima and Hornby stuff.

• Like 3
  • Friendly/supportive 1

• RMweb Gold
12 hours ago, Jesse Sim said:

It also has a scratchbuilt runner wagon to support the arm. 

I can be pedantic as far as cranes go. The "arm" is a "jib". 

However, it is a beautifully observed model.

• Like 3
  • Funny 1

1 hour ago, 96701 said:

I can be pedantic as far as cranes go. The "arm" is a "jib". 

However, it is a beautifully observed model.

I wanted to write jib, but I panicked at the last minute incase of being wrong! 

• Funny 3
  • Friendly/supportive 4

1 hour ago, MJI said:

I met Jesse at Warley pre covid, he has grown up a bit.

Great to see younger modellers.

His age i was detailing lima and Hornby stuff.

It’s crazy how quick it went! I remember having that convo at Warley, forgive me if it was short I had many people wanting to chat. Ive compared Tony to a circus operator and I the prized monkey 🤣 

• Interesting/Thought-provoking 1
  • Funny 13

• RMweb Premium

I've just woken up at 4am having had a nightmare based on a maths exam that went badly 45 years ago and lay there feeling het up and thoroughly hacked off. I then stumbled on this page and suddenly the world seems a better place.

Marvellous.

• Friendly/supportive 19

9 hours ago, Jesse Sim said:

We’ve got to keep him on his toes! 

Crickey….I’m having my first visit to ‘Wright towers’ in early May, travelling from Kiwi land. I’m worried now that there might be a “naughty corner” for us ANZACs…..😎

I’ll take my chances……..Andy R

• Funny 10
  • Friendly/supportive 2

• RMweb Gold
1 hour ago, Andy R said:

Crickey….I’m having my first visit to ‘Wright towers’ in early May, travelling from Kiwi land. I’m worried now that there might be a “naughty corner” for us ANZACs…..😎

I’ll take my chances……..Andy R

Well, dunno about a corner but be prepared to stand on your head 😉

• Like 1
  • Funny 5

• RMweb Premium
10 hours ago, Jesse Sim said:

It’s crazy how quick it went! I remember having that convo at Warley, forgive me if it was short I had many people wanting to chat. Ive compared Tony to a circus operator and I the prized monkey 🤣 

Was an interesting day out, but costs a LOT before you even buy anything.

I use most of the same suppliers via mail order now. Getting to layouts not too easy so ended up chatting in the expert area. Getting tips on resin casting, quartering from Michael Edge, found a perennially busy Tony with his protoge.

I  did slightly wind up a book seller by not buying a book I wanted as I could not afford it that time. Now own bought recently.

I was still suffering with a weak ankle after breaking it early in the year.

That one is now fine!!!!

• Like 1

• RMweb Premium
4 hours ago, Hal Nail said:

I've just woken up at 4am having had a nightmare based on a maths exam that went badly 45 years ago and lay there feeling het up and thoroughly hacked off. I then stumbled on this page and suddenly the world seems a better place.

Marvellous.

My sympathies, 01:00 to 04:30 with the effects of LC last night.

4 hours ago, Hal Nail said:

Marvellous.

After O-Levels, A-Levels, a BSc degree (all with good outcomes) and then professional registration exams (involving a second attempt in some sections), I still used to start to wake occasionally in the night, in the early months of the year, worrying desperately about whether I had done enough revision, until I was fully awake and realised that there were no exams to face in following Summer.  I'm glad that tendency disappeared after two to three years.  That should make it obvious why I chose not to attempt any qualifications at a higher level still...

• Like 5
  • Friendly/supportive 8

Great to see every one is keeping Tony alive and kicking... well flogging the students. I am slightly worried about Andy R 's comment above... next year when I make it back to the UK I look to darken the door of a Mr Wright...!!  (I am a rather tall individual!)    I do wonder if us ANZAC's are slowly taking over... There is a large number from this part of the world that are making a bit of a trip over to see him! Funny thing is alot of us, Jesse, Myself, Woodcock... all model LNER! 

Any how great to see your all having fun. Tony will be saying things to Jesse about his tattoos and long hair... then move onto modelling... I suspect he will make endless jokes about P4 when I see him next 🤣

• Like 3

19 minutes ago, gr.king said:

After O-Levels, A-Levels, a BSc degree (all with good outcomes) and then professional registration exams (involving a second attempt in some sections), I still used to start to wake occasionally in the night, in the early months of the year, worrying desperately about whether I had done enough revision, until I was fully awake and realised that there were no exams to face in following Summer.  I'm glad that tendency disappeared after two to three years.  That should make it obvious why I chose not to attempt any qualifications at a higher level still...

I once woke up in the middle of the night trying to remember if I had locked the garage door. While still half asleep, I woke up my wife to ask her, then remembered that we had not built the garage - it was still in pieces in the front garden! So when she asked what I was on about, I just told her to shut up and go back to sleep. Over 40 years later, we are still married!

Lloyd

• Like 1
  • Funny 7
  • Friendly/supportive 2

On 12/03/2023 at 14:01, stewartingram said:

OK, just to move on a bit?

I note that the latest Railway Magazine has part 2 of the life of Flying Scotsman, showing the changes in its life. Each change is accompanied with a photograph, so anyone wanting to know what a particular change looks like (and presumably this would apply to other locos in the class) has a photographic record. Very useful methinks...

A big apology from me about this article - for some reason I put the wrong magazine! It is actually the current edition of STEAM RAILWAYS and not Railway Magazine!

• Like 1
  • Agree 1
  • Friendly/supportive 1

• RMweb Premium
2 hours ago, gr.king said:

I still get this nightmare occasionally, more than 60 years since I did my O level exams - even worse is the one where I'm back teaching again though....

• Friendly/supportive 12

• RMweb Gold

I left science in 2004, but I still have recurring nightmares about trying to finish and submit a paper. I think it was because the last paper I worked on had a particularly rocky road to publication, leaving significant mental scars.

The other recurring one I get is being handed a guitar and told I have to perform on stage with some famous band, even though I know none of their songs.

• Friendly/supportive 9

• RMweb Gold
3 hours ago, gr.king said:

Me too, not exact but similar. Recurring dream that I am about to miss the hand-in date for my BA dissertation.  (The course is long finished and I graduated) Any dream experts on here understand why these arise?

Edited by john new
Missed a bit out.
  • Friendly/supportive 3

3 hours ago, DougN said:

Great to see every one is keeping Tony alive and kicking... well flogging the students. I am slightly worried about Andy R 's comment above... next year when I make it back to the UK I look to darken the door of a Mr Wright...!!  (I am a rather tall individual!)    I do wonder if us ANZAC's are slowly taking over... There is a large number from this part of the world that are making a bit of a trip over to see him! Funny thing is alot of us, Jesse, Myself, Woodcock... all model LNER! 

Any how great to see your all having fun. Tony will be saying things to Jesse about his tattoos and long hair... then move onto modelling... I suspect he will make endless jokes about P4 when I see him next 🤣

I'm also planning on going over in 2024. Possibly April-May. Can't believe it will be 7 years since the last trip then - but we did lose a few years!

Andrew

• Like 1

• RMweb Premium

When trying to get sorted to go back to sleep your brain goes mad.

Full of what ifs.

For some reason I was trying to remember various characters from various Star Trek series.

• Like 1
  • Friendly/supportive 4