Users will currently see a stripped down version of the site until an advertising issue is fixed. If you are seeing any suspect adverts please go to the bottom of the page and click on Themes and select IPS Default. ×
RMweb

Wright writes.....

• RMweb Premium
1 hour ago, john new said:

.........as have ink-jet printer people, these days you buy a pack of ink with a free printer (although that isn't how it is marketed) and they make the money on after sales of more ink.

Not sure if it's still the case but it used to be cheaper to throw a Lexmark Printer in the bin every time it ran out of ink - a new printer with cartridges was cheaper than the genuine ink replacements.  Mad.

I suspect that non-genuine inks have solved that issue now.

• Like 2
  • Agree 3
  • Interesting/Thought-provoking 2

• RMweb Gold
1 hour ago, polybear said:

Not sure if it's still the case but it used to be cheaper to throw a Lexmark Printer in the bin every time it ran out of ink - a new printer with cartridges was cheaper than the genuine ink replacements.  Mad.

I suspect that non-genuine inks have solved that issue now.

Except HP  keep "accidentally" breaking printers with firmware that rejects aftermarket inks. 

A current example - the Canon TS-305 which I buy regularly for work - £35 delivered with the small inks (not "XL" as the bigger ones are called. New genuine small inks - £28 from an online retailer. Argos sell them for £37.

• Agree 2
  • Informative/Useful 3

• RMweb Gold

I switched to a Cannon PIXMA which has ink tanks instead of cartridges much more eco friendly and a hell of a lot cheaper even the print head is dirt cheap.

Regards Lez.

• Like 1
  • Informative/Useful 1

• RMweb Premium
On 09/06/2023 at 19:48, Bernard Lamb said:

Both are being sold at a figure derived from what the market will stand and what the customer expects to pay.

Personally I don't have any pre-conceived expectations of price for new releases (or indeed pre-existing ones) any more; when (say) a new Loco is released I look at the price and think "HOW MUCH??"

I'm fortunate in that if I want something then I can buy it without any worry about how I'll be able to afford next week's Cornflakes as a result.  In the past couple of years it has become the case that pricing has meant I very rarely buy anything new any more - it has to be VERY special (and I really want it) for the credit card to appear; the only one recently has been Hornby's W1 10000 Hush-Hush (in Grey, which is a personal favourite loco) - I also have the unbuilt SEF Kit in the obscenely large kit mountain** (I think it was last seen around the 5000ft mark.....).

I do, however, have an Accurascale Deltic and Class 37 on order - I think their products are "a bit special" (based on the opinions of others - I don't have any of their products as yet) and I think their pricing is reasonable (I'd start to think twice if they got more expensive though).

So any new RTR Loco additions (which happens rarely) are either (very) heavily discounted examples from the likes of Hattons or Rails (others are available....) or the very occasional Ebay purchase (a Cravens arrived a couple of weeks ago - I'd seen "Sir's" example on LB and thought I'd rather like one too).

The new Bachmann V2?  Very nice, but I'd rather spend similar (or often less) money on a nice kit built example instead.  I do note the RTR prices of that loco are dropping now though.

**I really must start to get to grips with building some of them....

Edited by polybear
  • Like 8

• RMweb Premium
58 minutes ago, Dick Turpin said:

Had to smile, I've got one of those too. Haven't most of us? I have started to look through mine, and begun dividing them into those with a good chance of getting built, and those which I fear never will, with a view to selling them on, but oh, isn't it so hard to actually part with anything!

The CAA are demanding I put a red light on top of mine.......

• Funny 17
  • Friendly/supportive 1

• RMweb Premium
13 hours ago, john new said:

On the subject of costs versus end prices one of the many management training exercises I did when getting my post-grad qualification back in the 1980s was surrounding options for a simple ball-point pen. Would you go for a high volume output at a cheap rate (it was then 5p hence the name I remember of the Scripto Bobby) or commission someone like Salvador Dali to add a design to it and sell them at say £1 each?  Supermarkets have run loss leaders for years as have ink-jet printer people, these days you buy a pack of ink with a free printer (although that isn't how it is marketed) and they make the money on after sales of more ink.

Ball point pens cheap used to be bic.

Now bic is mid market, but is the most reliable cheapish pen.

Cheap compete against bic, expensive parker.

You have to choose your market very carefully.

• Like 1
  • Agree 2

• RMweb Premium
14 hours ago, Jol Wilkinson said:

Not a valid comparison. With the exception of DCC variations (and recently wheel/gauge alternatives)  RTR manufacturers produce one level of model.

Car production is quite different with alternative specifications provided by different components (engines, gearboxes, headlamps, entertainment systems, trim, wheels, etc). Granted some of the various benefits are simply produced by turning on/off he software options whilst using the same CPU's, sensors, etc..

And are you saying that a simple rubber bung in a pre -pressed panel is more expensive than a rear wiper motor and wiper blade? The wiring loom may still be the same although saving several metres of cable, connectors, etc.  over several thousands of cars might be a worthwhile economy.

Either  way, I see little point in adding generally invisible detail to a model, other than it gives the buyer a warm feeling.

Not that simple really as i found one company said doing manual windows cost more due to limited market, but due to the market they were insisted on.

Restricting in electronics is how my last two cars got cruise, well the most recent was just switches.

The collapse of company cars though is getting rid of a lot of nonsense.

The 1300 1600 rubbish is another.

When the differences were 4 holes, 4 pistons, 12 rings, 1 speedo drive pinion, a badge, carb needle, diff crown wheel and pinion.

Was it worth doing?

Higher gearing meant better economy.

Forgot the 4 gudgeon pins and head gasket.

• Like 2

• RMweb Gold
1 hour ago, MJI said:

Ball point pens cheap used to be bic.

Now bic is mid market, but is the most reliable cheapish pen.

Cheap compete against bic, expensive parker.

You have to choose your market very carefully.

Yes, and learning/appreciating that was the total point of that particular training exercise.

• Like 1
  • Informative/Useful 1

2 hours ago, Dick Turpin said:

Had to smile, I've got one of those too. Haven't most of us? I have started to look through mine, and begun dividing them into those with a good chance of getting built, and those which I fear never will, with a view to selling them on, but oh, isn't it so hard to actually part with anything!

My mountain was reduced over the winter to a series of smaller hills. LMS vans were completed as were some bogie bolsters. I was quite pleased with my progress. Then somebody on here mentioned horse boxes.😃

A new hill has appeared, RTR for attention and kits.

Bernard

• Like 3
  • Friendly/supportive 5

7 hours ago, 31A said:

I was quite pleased with this view I took by chance of the loco yard at Finsbury Square, from the 'inside' looking out.  The sun was shining brightly through the window; you can see the shadow of the girder bridge that forms the 'scenic break' to the fiddle yard.  I just put my phone down on the far side of the layout to take the picture.  It looks fairly OK until you realise the BRS lorry is abut to fall off the end of the red brick bridge!  The running lines are to the right and curve round behind the diesel locos and go under the bus on the bridge and in front of the Vanfits in the background, to reach the terminus.  Before anything is said, I realise 62015 needs a screw coupling on the front.

IMG_4314.jpeg.78e494cf468065dab8f1fcbde045dde3.jpeg

Thanks for showing us, Steve,

It's remarkably effective.

I particularly like the shed offices - scratch-built?

Regards,

Tony. 

• Like 3

• RMweb Gold

Hello Tony and everyone

In a post or two above, Tony commented:

Speaking with my old teacher training chum yesterday, we mused over whether anyone what produce the A1/1 RTR. I thought not, but who knows? 

I don't claim that The 00 Wishlist Poll is in anyway a crystal ball of what will or will not be made, but it's interesting to note the bottom eight positions out of 42 LNER locos listed (with number of votes shown to the left):

61 - B2 4-6-0

58 - GNR A1 4-6-2

58 - LNER A1/1 4-6-2

58 - LNER A4 4-6-2

56 - GCR 04/8 2-8-0

52 - LNER A1 4-6-2

52 - LNER A2/1 4-6-2 (60507-60510)

43 - LNER A3 4-6-2

Brian (on behalf of The 00 Poll Team)

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1