Users will currently see a stripped down version of the site until an advertising issue is fixed. If you are seeing any suspect adverts please go to the bottom of the page and click on Themes and select IPS Default. ×
RMweb

Wright writes.....

3 hours ago, Compound2632 said:

Ah yes but.

Bachmann have only done the Belpaire-boilered version - Belpaire boilers were fitted in LMS days, from 1925 IIRC. If you want the round-topped version, it's either clever hacking (which I have seen done very well) or the appropriate version of the Craftsman kit. Fortunately Bachmann have done both versions of the 1532 Class 0-4-4T.

Or get one of Dave's kits? Just got a Flatiron and seems to be very good.

Jason

• Like 2
  • Agree 1

• RMweb Gold
13 minutes ago, Steamport Southport said:

Or get one of Dave's kits? Just got a Flatiron and seems to be very good.

Jason

His Kirtley 700 class DF goods is also very nice. He has made the chassis available as a separate kit as well so you can put it under the K's/Nucast body as the K's chassis is truly dreadful. He also does a 1F and the little 0-4-0 saddle tank as full kits. You can download his full list as a PDF from the thread above.

Regards Lez.   

• Like 3

5 minutes ago, Jesse Sim said:

Did I miss show and tell for craftsman kits?

This has been seen before, as you have taken the photo of her back in March when I was last over. This is the third loco kit I’ve started and the second I’ve finished, in all my shame I forgot to add the boiler bands, I noticed after I painted, lettered and weathered her. Live and learn. I haven’t started a fourth kit yet, I think I’m leaning towards a PDK P1 as I need one for Woolmer Green but I also really need a decent K2! 

C082B050-AE3E-4005-937A-0324209C250D.jpeg.57bd5dba932450b1660e9e5353d68287.jpeg

Despite the C12’s faults, mainly the boiler bands, she runs impeccably and see’s a regular running as a light engine heading to works. 

The C9 is still sitting in her box I’m afraid, I’m having trouble with the fine booster and tender bogie wheels. She’s been benched pending further assessment as some wagon scratch-building has my attention. 

Good evening Jesse,

Sorry, I missed this one. It's rather pretty; well done for producing such a fine loco. 

As for the missing boiler bands, the easiest way now to form them is to use black, self-adhesive insulation tape, cut to the right width using a scalpel and rule. Stick a long enough piece of tape on to a mirror, piece of flat glass or brass, then cut the band widths using the scalpel and rule. Then peel each band off in turn, making sure that it's longer than needed, then stick it into position. Leave for half an hour so that the band has enough time to 'shrink' back (you will have stretched it during the process), then nick off the excess with the scalpel. When happy, weather the bands in with the rest of the finish.

Regards,

Tony. 

• Like 7
  • Informative/Useful 6

• RMweb Premium

If you don’t fancy cutting the insulation tape to width, try Trimline tape, available in many colours and hopefully has the right width on the roll.

I have used for lining my 16mm/foot garden railway locos, it can even form curved lining

https://www.cornwallmodelboats.co.uk/acatalog/Model-Technics-Trimline-Black-P5523672.html#SID=844

• Like 1
  • Informative/Useful 5

• RMweb Gold
19 hours ago, rka said:

I, now have a kit of parts. 

Removing glue is pretty boring. 

17029858833794994441423563790083.jpg

After giving the parts a good coat of looking at, I can see I need to punch some rivets out of the etchings. 

I want to get started on this over Christmas, so I won't be able to get a rivet embossing tool or gravity punch in time. 

What techniques would people on here recommend? 

• RMweb Premium

Use a hard steel pin (or an old gramophone needle), hold it with forceps and drop a hammer on it. Dropping from the same height produces same size rivets but it does very much depend on what the brass is resting on, not too hard and not too soft (said Goldilocks), I use a length of aluminium angle held in the vice. I have three different rivet presses but still use this method for very close spaced ones.

• Like 2
  • Informative/Useful 2

• RMweb Gold
22 minutes ago, Michael Edge said:

Use a hard steel pin (or an old gramophone needle), hold it with forceps and drop a hammer on it. Dropping from the same height produces same size rivets but it does very much depend on what the brass is resting on, not too hard and not too soft (said Goldilocks), I use a length of aluminium angle held in the vice. I have three different rivet presses but still use this method for very close spaced ones.

Thank you, 

I have plenty of code 4 lead, I was thinking of using that to support the brass etchings, would it be too soft? 

• RMweb Gold

I have a London Road one but you could make one of that type in about 5 mins if you have access to a lathe and about 15 mins if you only have an electric drill. Ok yes it's not best practice to use drill instead of a lathe but you can do it just be careful. 

Regards Lez. 

• RMweb Gold
20 hours ago, Jesse Sim said:

in all my shame I forgot to add the boiler bands, I noticed after I painted, lettered and weathered her

I made the same mistake on my 47xx, like you noticing after painting and weathering.  In the end i couldn’t live with it so I found some masking tape the right width, put it on a sheet of clean plastic and sprayed in body colour, before peeling off and sticking onto the model.  A little touch in on the weathering to blend it in and the loco no longer bugged me.   Of course I still haven’t got round to fitting a decoder into it so I can actually run it, but it looks nice on the shelf…..

• Like 4

56 minutes ago, The Fatadder said:

I made the same mistake on my 47xx, like you noticing after painting and weathering.  In the end i couldn’t live with it so I found some masking tape the right width, put it on a sheet of clean plastic and sprayed in body colour, before peeling off and sticking onto the model.  A little touch in on the weathering to blend it in and the loco no longer bugged me.   Of course I still haven’t got round to fitting a decoder into it so I can actually run it, but it looks nice on the shelf…..

I am planning to experiment with self adhesive Copper Slug Tape from the local garden centre.  It is very thin so can be cut with a scalpel blade, and more resistant to stretching/distortion than plastic tape.

Has anyone else already tried this I wonder?

Frank

Edited by Chuffer Davies
Auto correct error.
  • Like 1
  • Informative/Useful 1
  • Interesting/Thought-provoking 6

• RMweb Gold

Forgive me Neil, for I have sinned.

This may understate your gradient a bit...

I think the bent step looks real, I'd be tempted to leave it.

20231220_144907.jpg.d796611d5324832469dfcb5aeef5eb19.jpg.583c1961cc87d08399a438391a743c51.jpg

I like a bit of verticality myself, although had a bit of a mishap here this evening, shades of Gordon(?) I really need to re-think my end of the line arrangements...

IMG_8068.jpg.18570defbf204c9dac07db6190070e9b.jpg

Guard irons intact, apologies for thread drift.

Simon

• Like 7
  • Thanks 1
  • Friendly/supportive 6

• RMweb Premium
22 minutes ago, Not Jeremy said:

This may understate your gradient a bit...

It is 1 in 30 though!

Just a crummy phone camera shot, so thanks for the corrections.  Not sure about the steps, they bug me, I like things square. 

Now, about end of line protection - there was mention of someone working on this yesterday on a thread here somewhere, there was a test of a huge foam 'buffer stop'.  So your rock, and a tin of squirty foam, and there you go!

• Like 2