Please use M,M&M only for topics that do not fit within other forum areas. All topics posted here await admin team approval to ensure they don't belong elsewhere.

Wright writes.....

• RMweb Premium

For some obscure reason my other half doesn't seem to be attracted by the idea of having her nails done in Midland red with black and gold lining   I can't think why.

Jamie

You'll not be mentioning Weatherburn's yellow-bellies to her then?

• Like 1

St Olaves is also the junior school for St Peters' York which happens to be where a certain J Bairstow played as a school boy

Baz

Hi Baz,

I simply looked up the schools loco's on Wikipedia (so almost certainly wrong then :sarcastic: ) and it linked St Olaves to the Southwark Cathedral St Olaves grammer .... there seem to many schools of that name around the country.

As a somewhat lackadaisical cricket follower I say hurrah for St Olaves York  :good:  

Edited by Lecorbusier
  • Like 1

I though I'd share a rare non-LNER locomotive that I'm designing at the moment. It is a Hawksworth County class loco that is being designed to fit around a Graham Farish black five chassis (almost the correct wheelbase but has the advantage of having pretty close to the right tender frames.

I test printed and quickly painted the loco body so that I could show it to a couple of more knowledgable people at The International N Gauge Show yesterday. Despite the print having been subjected to no cleaning up/sanding, it was well received and has given me a boost and some confidence that this might eventually be of interest to other N Gauge modellers.

post-943-0-87719300-1536526283_thumb.jpg

• Like 16

Morning Tony, got a few questions, started on the 02 conversion, now if I place the GNR cab flush with the bottom of the loco it looks as if the boiler is too high.

I do know I need to cut the Heljan boiler back to fit the cab, but im a bit anxious about the height. Any tips will be appreciated, please and thank you.

post-25906-0-65387400-1536560831_thumb.jpeg

post-25906-0-04312600-1536560845_thumb.jpeg

Edited by Jesse Sim

I think your cab is too short vertically. Don't you need to extend the sidesheets down to meet the running plate (as well as shorten them horizontally)? The line on the cab front looks to me to be in the right place, so use that as a reference point.

Is that a K2 cab? I have a GK one from his resin components to do the same conversion and I need to alter it in just the same way.

Edited by jwealleans

I think your cab is too short vertically. Don't you need to extend the sidesheets down to meet the running plate (as well as shorten them horizontally)? The line on the cab front looks to me to be in the right place, so use that as a reference point.Is that a K2 cab? I have a GK one from his resin components to do the same conversion and I need to alter it in just the same way.

I’m not sure Jonathan, Tony gave it to me, we were talking about the 02 conversion.

This picture reminds me of several things. Firstly there's the "+2" pencil note on the shallow cover alongside the lower part of the firebox, indicating that it was extended 2mm to the rear because when the correct length of GN cab is substituted for the longer group standard type, the cab front is further back. The new rear band on the firebox, in aluminium tape, sits on an extension made from 2 layers of 1mm plasticard, well blended in*. The K2 cab I used was reduced in length by taking out a slice just behind the spectacle plate, and the missing lower front corners of the side-sheets had to be added. If you scrutinise the cab front just behind that pencil note on the cover, you can just see the horizontal line where the new piece of lower cab front meets the original.

post-3445-0-14628200-1536572042.jpg

In this second view you can see evidence of further filling of the joint just behind the cab front, prior to more painting, and on the inside face of the far side sheet the rectangular backing patch that reinforces the joint between the original part and the lower front triangular fill-in piece.

post-3445-0-07621700-1536572307.jpg

Be careful not to mix up your thinking regarding locos originally built as O2/1 and O2/2 class parts, with different versions of the GN style cab. You can't have the O2/1 type cab (and accompanying tall dome and chimney) after 1939/40, but you can have the O2/2 type, and of course you can't have the O2/4 type of boiler until the Thompson era and later.

*N.B. I've realized I need to clarify things a bit regarding the rearward extension to the firebox: My cab had a full front. I began by sawing off the backhead section of the Heljan boiler at the groove where the original cab front fitted, later filing down the "flanges" that remained around the separate backhead so that it fitted snug against the inside of the new cab front. If you  have a K2 cab with the right kind of cut-out to go over the firebox, you may be able to just slide on the new cab to the correct position and then fill the old groove left vacant by the removed, longer, group standard cab. But if you happen to have an accurate model of a post-grouping K2 cab it is unlikely that the firebox cut-out will be in exactly the right place, since the K2s all had their cabs reduced in height by 3" around 1924/25 to allow use on former GE and NB routes. Combined with the boiler on an O2 being set 1.25" lower that that of the K2, a post grouping K2 cab simply slid on to an O2 boiler should end up with its roof 4.25" too low to represent an O2/1. You'd have to add material to the lower edges of the cab sides and alter the cut-out in the cab front a bit. A pre-group GN height K2 cab would get you closer to the right result for an O2/1. If you want the O2/2 you'd have to alter the K2 cab quite a bit, to get a more rounded roof and larger spectacles with curved inner edges....

Edited by gr.king
  • Like 4

Thanks Andrew!

Yes, the Princess is scratchbuilt - including the valve gear. Here is a closer picture:

attachicon.gifIMG_0068_LR.jpg

I'm having to remember what I did as it was 30 years ago! I recall that Peter (Sykes) gave me a lump of 1/8th steel to make the motion out of(!) In my naivety, and without recourse to a lathe or pillar drill, each part was cut and filed down to shape by hand. Not so sure I'd do that these days! The cylinder, slidebars and crosshead arrangement all closely follows the Guy Williams techniques as I had no other knowledge of how to make such parts in those days. But it does at least convey a certain chunkiness that is all too often missing from RTR offerings. Being super-critical, I think that either the expansion link pivot point is a little low or that the expansion link is too long - the little end of the eccentric rod is too low to my eye (more obvious when the rods are bottom centre.

Re the B7 by all means PM me with your contact details; I'll make a note for now of your interest.

Lovely stuff, Graham,

However (there's always an 'however'), isn't it about time you changed the bogie wheels to those with the correct number of spokes? Didn't the Princesses have nine-spoked bogie wheels? Or, was that just the Semis?

• Like 1

What I haven't seen yet is a modern book on locomotive kit construction, that deals in some depth with the kits, motors, materials and components that are available today - which in some cases are quite different.  The "standard works" on the subject that are still available to buy new or secondhand  (including Tony's) all seem to be at least a decade old, sometimes twice that or more.  In particular I have yet to find one that shows how to build a steam-outline loco kit to work on a DCC layout, which may be another reason why sales are in decline.

Time for some updates, perhaps, or new entrants into the field?

I'm in the process of preparing another book on locomotive construction, as up to date as possible, for Crowood.

Publication? Late next year.

• Like 5

Lovely stuff, Graham,

However (there's always an 'however'), isn't it about time you changed the bogie wheels to those with the correct number of spokes? Didn't the Princesses have nine-spoked bogie wheels? Or, was that just the Semis?

I believe that you may be correct. However (my turn for a 'however'), as the current custodian hasn't complained in over 30 years of running (longer that the real Princesses lasted in service - good grief!), then not currently top of the priority pile - Sir!

(I'll get lines for that...)

• Like 3

Just browsing the Warley exhibition web page in anticipation of this years show. I was surprised to see that Wizard models and the excellent comet models range will not be there. An examination of their own webpage show they are not attending a number of the major exhibitions.

I have no wish to discover the reason for this,other than to record my disappointment at the non attendance. I always have a list of items I wish to purchase, clearly will use their fine mail order service instead.

As recorded elsewhere always enjoy the construction posts especially when accompanied by photographs.

Best wishes Brian

Morning Tony, got a few questions, started on the 02 conversation, now if place the GNR can flush with the bottom of the loco it looks as if the boiler is too high.

I do know I need to cut the Heljan boiler back to fit he cab, but im a bit anxious about the height. Any tips will be appreciated, please and thank you.

I have no idea of the origin of the cab, Jesse,

It came in a box, full of a multitude of other odds and sods from the estate of a deceased modeller. 

You might have to extend the cab sidesheets. Either use brass, or white metal of the same thickness, soldered to the bottom of the sheets - with bits at the bottom of the spectacle plate as well. . 

• RMweb Premium

I think this thread's more active without me!

Thanks for all the comments over the weekend.

What was I doing over the weekend? Attending the Woking Show as a demonstrator/loco doctor. 

Mo and I had a lovely time, so my thanks to the REC for putting on such a grand event, and my thanks to all with whom I spoke. Thanks, too, to those who donated to CRUK for my fixing things or offering advice (particular thanks to Petrovich for his most generous donation). 

I managed to get some pictures, including some of the amazing Metropolitan Junction in EM. It's just a year younger than me, and still going strong.

attachicon.gifMetropolitan Junction 01.jpg

Started by the late Doug Williams in 1947, what a pioneering piece of work. Fully in the traditions of Peter Denny and Frank Dyer, it was a delight to watch (apologies for the derailed carriage, but I was in a hurry!).

Another layout I got a complete photo-shoot out of was Normandy Works & Shed, built in O Gauge by the Guildford GOG Group. 

attachicon.gifNormandy 01.jpg

attachicon.gifNormandy 02.jpg

attachicon.gifNormandy 03B.jpg

Look out for it in a future issue of BRM.

Very nice pictures.  

I take some comfort in the fact that a layout is one year younger than Tony, but still requires some ballasting.  Gives me hope regarding my own molluscan progress, I only hope my finished article will capture the atmosphere as well as the Metropolitan Junction layout.  Or is it simply that all layouts suffer from a smidgeon of  ballast-loss in their more senior years?

Edited by Chamby

• RMweb Premium

Very nice pictures.  

I take some comfort in the fact that a layout is one year younger than Tony, but still requires some ballasting.  Gives me hope regarding my own molluscan progress, I only hope my finished article will capture the atmosphere as well as the Metropolitan Junction layout.  Or is it simply that all layouts suffer from a smidgeon of  ballast-loss in their more senior years?

Your last sentence is close to the matter. The layout does have ballast as enlarging the photo will show. It has lost some over the years.

• RMweb Premium

I think this thread's more active without me!

Thanks for all the comments over the weekend.

What was I doing over the weekend? Attending the Woking Show as a demonstrator/loco doctor. 

Mo and I had a lovely time, so my thanks to the REC for putting on such a grand event, and my thanks to all with whom I spoke. Thanks, too, to those who donated to CRUK for my fixing things or offering advice (particular thanks to Petrovich for his most generous donation). 

I managed to get some pictures, including some of the amazing Metropolitan Junction in EM. It's just a year younger than me, and still going strong.

attachicon.gifMetropolitan Junction 01.jpg

Started by the late Doug Williams in 1947, what a pioneering piece of work. Fully in the traditions of Peter Denny and Frank Dyer, it was a delight to watch (apologies for the derailed carriage, but I was in a hurry!).

Another layout I got a complete photo-shoot out of was Normandy Works & Shed, built in O Gauge by the Guildford GOG Group. 

attachicon.gifNormandy 01.jpg

attachicon.gifNormandy 02.jpg

attachicon.gifNormandy 03B.jpg

Look out for it in a future issue of BRM.

Lovely to have met you both yesterday, Tony and thank you again for resurrecting my ancient K's O4.  I really must find the tender and start shopping for the later chimney and dome.

There were fewer "inspiring" layouts at Woking this year I thought but the best were all 7mm scale.  Arun Quay is stunning; a great example of the less-is-more school of modelling.  I agree about Normandy Works; the sense of a filthy working shed is almost overwhelming.  It should have signs up saying "Please do not touch - unless you want your hands dirty".

• Like 1

Very nice pictures.  

Tony Gee is right; Metropolitan Junction has been ballasted, but the glue has failed down the decades and large areas have just been lost. 

What astonished me more than anything else about it (other than the bespoke, hand-built track) were the signals (all scratch-built, of course) and the (still-working) fully-operational point rodding. No dummy rodding nonsense here - the sort I'm doing - but the points/crossings actually worked by proper cranks and rods; all scratch-built. 

Where are the modellers doing this sort of thing today (other than Tim Lee)? 

The layout is from a totally different era. An era of self-reliance, inventiveness, personal craftsmanship, creativity and good, old-fashioned railway modelling. Though nothing at the Woking Show could touch Arun Quay for the quality of the modelling, which of all the layouts do you think I found the most-interesting; by miles? 

I'll post some more pictures tomorrow. 

• Like 3

Lovely to have met you both yesterday, Tony and thank you again for resurrecting my ancient K's O4.  I really must find the tender and start shopping for the later chimney and dome.

There were fewer "inspiring" layouts at Woking this year I thought but the best were all 7mm scale.  Arun Quay is stunning; a great example of the less-is-more school of modelling.  I agree about Normandy Works; the sense of a filthy working shed is almost overwhelming.  It should have signs up saying "Please do not touch - unless you want your hands dirty".

Lovely to meet you, too, Rob,

And thanks for your contribution to CRUK.

I'll be putting the buffers in the post to you this week. I'll look for a chimney and dome as well.

Regards,

Tony. 

What astonished me more than anything else about it (other than the bespoke, hand-built track) were the signals (all scratch-built, of course) and the (still-working) fully-operational point rodding. No dummy rodding nonsense here - the sort I'm doing - but the points/crossings actually worked by proper cranks and rods; all scratch-built. 

Where are the modellers doing this sort of thing today (other than Tim Lee)? 

I am not sure I would want to be mentioned in that company Tony .... still very much finding my way and learning all the time.

I have completed my test track experiment with the point rodding by making a simple (non prototypical) lever on the track side as an actuator. All is still working in a most satisfying manner.

post-25312-0-64617300-1536619309_thumb.jpg

My plans for Monsal Dale are to take the rodding into the signal box as on the photo below and then link it to a set of the Scalefour lever frames ... Howard Bolton has developed a system of interlocking for these which I am also tempted to have a go at (with much help and advice from all and sundry as with everything else).

post-25312-0-24529000-1536619360_thumb.jpg

Next on the agenda is a little practice at scenic modelling and starting to plan a small works ballast train matching one in an old 1900 photo of Bakewell station.

post-25312-0-66910400-1536619448.jpg

• Like 11