Please use M,M&M only for topics that do not fit within other forum areas. All topics posted here await admin team approval to ensure they don't belong elsewhere.

Wright writes.....

I've jus read Tony's piece in RM and also looked at some of the comments on Facebook. I found it odd that nobody on Facebook seemed to mention the 3 articles in RM that embodied the points Tony was trying to get across, two on wagon building and one on a 2mm scale DMU, involving such horrifically elitist ideas such as kit-building, kit-bashing. cross-kitting and scratch building. Seems you get pilloried for expressing an opinion but ignored if you put into practice.

Frank

• Like 1

• RMweb Premium

That's an ugly warty beast. Looks like half the innards are on the outside but it's an impressive bit of modelling. It'll be nice to see it with some paint.

G

That is a lot kinder than some have called it! Thanks. It is an old IKB kit with some mods to make it a District Railway loco. Luckily they were plain dark green in the period, so no fancy lining.

• Like 1

• RMweb Gold

My brother and I attended CMRA on Saturday and also found to to be of a very good standard. I particularly enjoyed the larger O gauge layouts, but also saw plenty to enjoy elsewhere.

Whilst watching Modbury, another viewer was asking the builder how he'd got on building the kits for the rolling stock, and whether he'd compensated the wagons. Ian Smith (I believe it was he) started explaining how most of the stock was built from Colin Waite etches; the viewer interrupted him - "I know - I am Colin Waite"!

Turned out Ian hadn't compensated the wagons as he found it too fiddly... fascinating little layout though.

• Like 2

• RMweb Premium

I'm glad that everyone enjoyed St Evanage. It's been a bit cold to work in an unheated shed for the last week but today it was a heady 8 degrees Celsius so after tea I headed that way, officially I was going to fill the log basket. However I stayed a little longer and fired up the iron to engage in elitist practices. I ended up attaching the boiler to the frames and cab of a Midland 2-4-0. It's a Shedmaster kit that I started many years ago and is scaled up from 4mm etches. Fortunately that means that the etches are quite thin and my 60w iron was able to do what was needed. Some research, another elitist pastime, has led me to decide to make it into No 216, shedded at Skipton with a 2950 gallon tender with water pick up gear. It's main duties will be hauling local passenger trains to and from Morecambe via Green Ayre. I'm obviously a recidivist and trainee dinosaur. However it will have proper cast lamp irons with lamps to keep Sir happy.

Jamie

Edited by jamie92208
  • Like 3

• RMweb Gold

We had an excellent weekend demonstrating at the superb Stevanage show. I only managed a couple of brief conversations with Tony, mainly because we were in separate halls but one of them was when was he on his layout judging tour, admiring Ian Smith's beautiful 2mm layout Modbury. Ian only has two and a half appropriate Edwardian locos at the moment (all scratchbuilt I might add) so is reliant on a supporting cast that, whilst correct for the area modeled, is out of period by forty years or so. Our illustrious judge picked up on this straight away so what he would have thought of the light engine seen rolling through later in the day heaven only knows!

post-1074-0-80580300-1547458086_thumb.jpg

Jerry  

Edited by queensquare
  • Like 16

I would be interested to have an explanation of the "concept of Railway and Modelling". I haven't previously considered its concept.

I am not offended by anyone's opinion of what is and what is not railway modelling. The suggestion that the hobby "must" be more or less than anything is of no consequence. It means nothing.

What is even less consequential is the suggestion that having your railway built for you and then running your kit built locos on it is more of the hobby than those who are restricted to RTR operation, for whatever reason.

Dear RBAGE,

My apologies for not replying sooner, but I was away all weekend at the Stevenage Show (practising what I preach, if I may be so bold?). 

I think you're right in thinking my use of the word ' must' as being inconsequential.I must be more careful next time.

However, I do object to your implication (If I've inferred correctly) that Little Bytham has been built for me. I'm very much a part of the team which built it. I accept, I didn't do everything (and I'm a great admirer of those who do - yourself, presumably?), but to imply that I just built locos and then waved a chequebook in the direction of a group of highly-skilled modellers who then did the rest is very wide of the mark.

Regards,

Tony. 

• Like 12

Make it a large one Atso....you are going to need it!

Interesting, all the venom in that FB thread, but would any come over to talk to Tony at a show? I doubt it!

Mob mentality at its best!

An interesting comment, Tom,

There might well have been Facebook members who posted with 'hostility' about my article at the Stevenage Show, but, if there were, none made themselves known to me. Many folk did comment to my face (and it wasn't at all sycophancy - I loath that!), just genuine, occasionally robust, discussion, face-to-face. 

It's a damn good thing we don't all think the same way - but, I wish some critics would have the courage of their convictions at times. 

Regards,

Tony. 

• Like 3

It's one thing to poke the fire but please remind yourself about who lit the fire.

And lets be honest with ourselves, the fire was lit with the clear intention that it would be poked. That was it's sole purpose.

Do you really think that its sole purpose was just to be 'poked'? 

There is an element of that, I admit. But, how can suggesting that folk should be encouraged to make things for themselves, be helped by those in the know (as long as any advice given is sound), requested to observe the prototype and conduct research (among other things) be regarded as inflammatory? 

Social media is very combustible! 

Regards,

Tony. 

• Like 5

The other side of that coin is that there may be people who are quite happy with a good old traditional "train set" approach to their hobby.

They don't complain. They don't whinge. They enjoy themselves. They are very possibly RM readers.

I haven't read the article and so I am basing this on what others have written about it but I am guessing that they have all been told that they are doing it all wrong!

As RBAGE rightly says, the comments were very probably intended to stir up a controversy and they have.

I actually think it quite sad that magazines and writers feel the need to deliberately poke a stick into the ribs of the bear and create some aggro in our rather gentle and usually calm hobby.

Interesting, Tony,

We've known each other a long time, and are very good friends, but you're way, way, way wide of the mark by suggesting that what I wrote implied that others were doing it all wrong. The gist of what I wrote (and I've mentioned it many times now) is that people should be encouraged to make things for themselves, be helped by those who have skills/experience, be encouraged to observe the prototype in their modelling and conduct research. Also, to be very suspicious of so-called 'experts'. Please, tell me what's wrong about that. 

Basing an opinion on the comments of others without first seeing which 'stick' poked which 'bear' is a bit dodgy, if I may be so bold? 

Regards,

Tony. 

• Like 1

Hello,

I have had a go at using a fret saw on a Comet chassis. It has not gone very well. I have watched people doing such things online to try and copy the  techniques shown. So what size blade are you using Tony when you make it look so casual please?

Thank you.

trustytrev. :)

Good morning Trev,

Never, ever use a fretsaw (to cut through thin metal). What you need is a piercing saw. 

Because my approach to model-making is very unscientific, I couldn't possibly tell you the size of the piercing saw saw blade. The distance between each tooth (the pitch) needs to be smaller than the thickness of the material you're cutting through - that's all. Or, stick thin metal to a piece of hardboard (with Evo Stik) and then cut through both. Use an adjustable piercing saw; that way, a broken blade can be reused.

My apologies (tongue in cheek, of course), if the above smacks of elitism and being derogatory to those who use RTR. 

Regards,

Tony. 

• Like 4

• RMweb Premium

Good morning Trev,

Never, ever use a fretsaw (to cut through thin metal). What you need is a piercing saw. 

Because my approach to model-making is very unscientific, I couldn't possibly tell you the size of the piercing saw saw blade. The distance between each tooth (the pitch) needs to be smaller than the thickness of the material you're cutting through - that's all. Or, stick thin metal to a piece of hardboard (with Evo Stik) and then cut through both. Use an adjustable piercing saw; that way, a broken blade can be reused.

My apologies (tongue in cheek, of course), if the above smacks of elitism and being derogatory to those who use RTR. 

Regards,

Tony. 

"Stick thin metal to a piece of hardboard".

Are you serious? I ask you! If the metal doesn't come already stuck to the hardboard why should I be expected to do it? I don't know how these suppliers of thin metal and hardboard think they're going to get away with it. They'll want us to open the box it came in and take it out ourselves next!

Etc.

Goodnight!

Edited by St Enodoc

Which I am ashamed to say I didn't make today.

In my defence, I'm starting the year with a zero position in my bank account, no idea when I'll next make a deposit into it and about to start my fifth year living at with my parents, having lost my house. However, I have made modest contributions in the past and, once I'm back on my feet, will be making a substantial contribution. That will be the least I can do for one of the (if not the) most inspirational people in my railway modelling life.

I wouldn't be the modeller that I've become if it wasn't for people like Tony and I look forward to the continuing progression of my abilities, following their ideals (if not always following their examples).

Tony (and others), thank you for giving me the confidence and ability to succeed in the things I didn't believe I was capable of.

Steve,

You have made several contributions to CRUK in past, so, please never feel ashamed. 

I'm very distressed by how one's health can be affected by 'nasty' comments on Facebook. I don't have the least idea how to access it (nor ever want to) and, despite thanking those who've linked to the relevant page criticising my article, I have no intention of getting involved - not electronically, at least. As I've said earlier, I would have loved to have had a robust, face-to-face discussion with some of the critics, but they were conspicuous by their absence at Stevenage. 

You're very kind in your comments about the likes of me helping you, but you need my help now not a jot.

post-18225-0-33648800-1547463765_thumb.jpg

This is the reason why any help from me is no longer required. This is modelling (in N Gauge!) of the highest-quality. 

Someone yesterday suggested to me that some critical responses on social media are generated by jealousy. If that's the case, they're the ones with problems my friend.

Kindest personal regards,

Tony. 

• Like 9

Well it took a heck of a lot longer than 28 hours but I have spent a bit of time in the workshop today and this is the result.

I did the brakes, the lubricators on the slide bars, the destination boards and the guard irons in a few hours.

That was a very gentle plod in the workshop.

No rushing, no racing, just fiddle about with one bit and then fiddle about with the next.

Only (unless somebody points out a howler or something I have missed off) couplings, coal, crew, paint and lettering to do.

attachicon.gifRSCN1851.JPG

attachicon.gifRSCN1855.JPG

Edit! Just spotted the broken footstep under the cab!

Wonderful modelling!

I break things off my models all the time.

Regards,

Tony. 

Edited by Tony Wright

We had an excellent weekend demonstrating at the superb Stevanage show. I only managed a couple of brief conversations with Tony, mainly because we were in separate halls but one of them was when was he on his layout judging tour, admiring Ian Smith's beautiful 2mm layout Modbury. Ian only has two and a half appropriate Edwardian locos at the moment (all scratchbuilt I might add) so is reliant on a supporting cast that, whilst correct for the area modeled, is out of period by forty years or so. Our illustrious judge picked up on this straight away so what he would have thought of the light engine seen rolling through later in the day heaven only knows!

attachicon.gif20190112_121110.jpg

Jerry  

Isn't Modbury wonderful Jerry?

I was one of a trio of judges at Stevenage, and Modbury was on everyone's top three list (with huge justification). 

post-18225-0-70383300-1547464524_thumb.jpg

The winning layout was Tollesbury Quay by Martin Stringer (it was a damn close-run thing!)

post-18225-0-21104500-1547464667_thumb.jpg

Another layout which appealed to me was Grindley Brook, also in O Gauge. Built by the Hillingdon Railway Modellers, I knew it instantly. Yet, despite Grindley Brook being an actual place (between Tattenhall Junction and Whitchurch on the old L&NWR branch between Chester and the Shropshire town), the actual layout was fictitious. With Mo coming from Wolverhampton and me from Chester, I used to drive through it regularly on the A41. How did I know it, then? Because the observation of the Shropshire Union Canal/Llangollen Canal was spot-on, as were those of the civil engineering, architecture and signalling. Observation of the prototype, in other words. 

post-18225-0-04908400-1547465220_thumb.jpg

Obviously, with having a modest involvement in Grantham, I had to grab a couple or so more pictures. This is Jonathan Wealleans beautiful rendition of the 1888 Flying Scotsman, hauled by a Rapido Stirling Single (note the lamps!). Graham Nicholas' new signals are also visible, if incomplete. 

post-18225-0-17780000-1547465065_thumb.jpg

Though shortened, this sort of modelling captures the essence of what I was trying to put across in the RM article. The loco is modified RTR, and what's wrong with that? I wish some folk would actually read what I write. 

post-18225-0-27939700-1547465359_thumb.jpg

post-18225-0-16744200-1547465380_thumb.jpg

This was our stand, and Mo and I did good business, raising over £50.00 for CRUK from my loco ministrations and donations. Three locos defeated me, though. A pair of split chassis Bachmann V3s (yes, the driven axles had split!) and an N Gauge Class 37, with DCC! Best moment? A sixty year old Hornby-Dublo N2 (if it were a day). 'It's making a funny noise' was the owner's diagnosis. Whip the lid off, adjust the top bearing and a drop of oil. Off she went, sweet as a nut, and good for another 60 years. 

I'm sorry we didn't get chance to chat much, but next time. I thought the Stevenage Show was brilliant - well-organised, varied and to a consistently high-standard, so thanks to David Crossley and his team for serving us all so well. 

A final thought. There appears to be a train of thought (awful pun, I know) that 'serious' railway modellers (because they're serious?) don't have fun in the same way that those who just 'play trains' do. Well, you and Kim have played trains on LB. And, didn't we have fun!

Regards,

Tony.  

• Like 17

Tony, there are two Tony Wrights on that Facebook group. I presume neither of them is you, though some of the posters to the thread in discussion think one of them is.

Thanks Colin,

Definitely not me. Though I'm puzzled how anyone could believe that I 'do' Facebook.

Regards,

Tony.  

• Like 1

Thanks Colin,

Definitely not me. Though I'm puzzled how anyone could believe that I 'do' Facebook.

Regards,

Tony.  

Your alter ego perhaps? .... Jekyll and Hyde and all that - Its a nice thought experiment  :mosking:

Edited by Lecorbusier

I'm pleased Tollesbury won the cup, I know that area fairly well, having sailed there several times, and it caught the atmosphere of the place brilliantly. Although a fictional model I could well believe that had the line finished at Woodrolfe Creek rather than the pier, that's what it would have liked like. The tide rising and falling was excellent as was the depiction of the marshes. Like you I also liked Grindly Brook. Both layouts had a consistency of approach over scenery, stock and operation.

The Stevenage show is well worth the 240 mile round trip and it is a far better venue than St. Albans.

Edited by westerner
  • Like 2

• RMweb Gold

Isn't Modbury wonderful Jerry?

I was one of a trio of judges at Stevenage, and Modbury was on everyone's top three list (with huge justification). 

I'm sorry we didn't get chance to chat much, but next time. I thought the Stevenage Show was brilliant - well-organised, varied and to a consistently high-standard, so thanks to David Crossley and his team for serving us all so well. 

A final thought. There appears to be a train of thought (awful pun, I know) that 'serious' railway modellers (because they're serious?) don't have fun in the same way that those who just 'play trains' do. Well, you and Kim have played trains on LB. And, didn't we have fun!

Regards,

Tony.  

Fully agree, Modbury is beautiful.

I believe we are both at Southampton in a couple of weeks so we will have another chance to put the world to rights - always fun.

We certainly did have fun when we came to see LB. I seem to remember you and Kim did most of the driving whilst I watched with my nose hovering over the lineside fence as trains whizzed past even faster than Mallard achieved - marvelous!

Back to Stevanage and I caught up with Steve (Atso) and we continued our bartering whereby I save any N gauge wheels I get from conversions along with any other bits that might be useful in exchange for his surplus loco bodies. This time, among other things, Steve gave me a Stanier 0-4-4T body to evaluate. Its a little modern really for my period but I managed to find of picture of one at Bath so will build a chassis for it at some point. Steve also gave me a lovely GN six-wheel parcels van but no picture as yet.

post-1074-0-55907800-1547471183_thumb.jpg

My other highlight of the weekend, apart from the excellent layouts, was Keith Gloster's part built SDJR 7F which he brought along to show progress. These 2-8-0s are my favorites and Keith is making a superb job.

post-1074-0-47782500-1547470819_thumb.jpg

Jerry

• Like 12

Steve,

You have made several contributions to CRUK in past, so, please never feel ashamed. 

I'm very distressed by how one's health can be affected by 'nasty' comments on Facebook. I don't have the least idea how to access it (nor ever want to) and, despite thanking those who've linked to the relevant page criticising my article, I have no intention of getting involved - not electronically, at least. As I've said earlier, I would have loved to have had a robust, face-to-face discussion with some of the critics, but they were conspicuous by their absence at Stevenage. 

You're very kind in your comments about the likes of me helping you, but you need my help now not a jot.

attachicon.gifAtso Cad C1.jpg

This is the reason why any help from me is no longer required. This is modelling (in N Gauge!) of the highest-quality. 

Someone yesterday suggested to me that some critical responses on social media are generated by jealousy. If that's the case, they're the ones with problems my friend.

Kindest personal regards,

Tony. 

Thank you Tony both for your kind words and for taking the picture. The camera can be cruel and this picture shows up the printing lines on the running plate. In my defense, this was one of the first prints I did on a new machine and hadn't yet learnt the best method for getting the best quality out of it. That said, you can't see it in reality and once I've completed and matt varnished/weathered it, I doubt anyone will ever notice out on a layout! The other loco I showed you is a much smoother print and I got asked a couple of times if it was really a 3D print!

While you were photographing the C1, a fellow approached me and asked if it was my model. I replied that it was and he went on to inform me that, while it was very nice, it was far too glossy and that the manufacturer hadn't bothered to make a decent representation of coal in the tender (I've yet to coal it and that will be one of the last things I do). His parting words (after I tried to explain that I was building it) were that I should send it back to the manufacturer and complain - I'm not sure if I should take that as a compliment or not but I do very much admire his candor.

• Like 1