Please use M,M&M only for topics that do not fit within other forum areas. All topics posted here await admin team approval to ensure they don't belong elsewhere.

Wright writes.....

• RMweb Premium

Hello,

I believe bigger and finer is better but how big and how fine is the question probably.

trustytrev. :)

I'm no expert but I believe that the main thing is that the pitch of the teeth needs to be finer than that of the material that you are cutting so that there are always at least two teeth on the metal in the cut. Obviously the question of support mentioned above is vital.

Jamie

• Like 2

• RMweb Premium

Probably near the two missing Halls, Last of all and Bu**er all. and the mythical name of 7 1/4 for 70047 when they used the foreman's cap to draw the names from.

Jamie

King's Cross Models used to produce a promotional set of plates for 7930 That's Hall.

• Like 2

• RMweb Gold

Having been to a local club show today I can see exactly what the article was on about; Metcalfeville scenics backed up by a railway populated by models representing 70 years worth of mixed rolling stock. The Metcalfeville is much easier to accept than diesels on a rake of PO wagons.

And on another tack don't talk about over loud sound! 10 yards away from a layout, and sitting in the tea bar area, surely you shouldn't be able to still hear it.

Edited by john new

I'm no expert but I believe that the main thing is that the pitch of the teeth needs to be finer than that of the material that you are cutting so that there are always at least two teeth on the metal in the cut. Obviously the question of support mentioned above is vital.Jamie

And you instal the blade to cut on the pull rather than the push. There needs to be a fair amount of tension on the blade too. If the saw doesn't have a tensioning screw squeeze the frame against the bench before tightening the blade clamps.

• RMweb Premium

I like train sets where they are just train sets, for fun, nothing wrong, but you do tend to try to keep semi sensible, big ones on passenger, little ones on freight.

Model railways I like as well, but where it is all out of box it is still really a train set. Just done better.

You need some personallity and believability for a MR

• Like 1

I like train sets where they are just train sets, for fun, nothing wrong, but you do tend to try to keep semi sensible, big ones on passenger, little ones on freight.

Model railways I like as well, but where it is all out of box it is still really a train set. Just done better.

You need some personallity and believability for a MR

I think I know what you mean but it's impossible to define where a train-set ends and model railway begins. Like art, it's entirely subjective (which is why the debate will rage on forever :) )

• Like 1

• RMweb Premium

I had a quick canter round the CMRA St Evenage Show today. Despite everyone’s doom & gloom, I must say that I thought the standard of modelling, presentation and even running was frighteningly good on most of the layouts. Compare it to where we were twenty years ago - different league. Our hobby is always evolving.

Tim

• Like 6

• RMweb Premium

I had a quick canter round the CMRA St Evenage Show today. Despite everyone’s doom & gloom, I must say that I thought the standard of modelling, presentation and even running was frighteningly good on most of the layouts. Compare it to where we were twenty years ago - different league. Our hobby is always evolving.

Tim

Tim,

I agree wholeheartedly, I thought the exhibition was at an extremely high standard, with very few layouts of the sort that Tony was complaining about. I really went to see Grantham and Ackthorpe again, both of which were superb. But I found I could only spare them 30 minutes each because there was so much else to see.

There were some very good O gauge layouts, Grindly Brook, a large two track circuit); Oldham King Street Parcels, effectively a shunting in and out layout with good scenery and excellent DCC sound; and The Tar Works which was a diminutive shunting puzzle layout of the sort which I would normally walk straight past, but the guy exhibiting it was very engaging and explained all about the Tar Works process - both my 12 year old daughter, Ellen, and I found this fascinating.

I’m not usually a fan of the smaller gauges as I prefer the presence of 4mm and above, but I particularly enjoyed the N gauge Wickwar which was based on a prototype location, run with prototypical weathered trains carrying lamps (probably RTR but I don’t know enough about N gauge to be sure), working signals and with well executed scenery including a superb photo-based curved beckscene. It also had many if the gimmicks which Tony often complains about, but they were very well executed. Examples included a girl putting her arm out to stop a bus, working lit lamps on the front of the locos (probably too bright, but still a fantastic achievement in N gauge), a roadway system with junctions including a lorry serving the brewery and a night mode with lighting. A thunder storm with lightening is being prepared for their next outing at Ally Pally! This was Ellen’s favourite layout.

And while I was chatting to Tony someone came up to shake his hand and congratulate him on the RM article!

Well recommended. Enjoy it if you’re going today.

Andy

Edited by thegreenhowards
  • Like 3

Tim, 

like you I spent only a short time looking at the exhibits, having other commitments at the CMRA show. While things might be better than twenty years ago, I thought that some possibly well modelled layouts would have benefited from better presentation. I say "possibly well modelled" because viewing them wasn't easy and I didn't feel compelled to look at them for other than a fairly brief time. In particular low layout height created a poor viewing experience on some layouts. Several would have been far better viewed sitting down and one would have needed viewers to kneel before it (another example of the "broad church" philosophy?") to appreciate it properly. Several had poorly set up lighting, which didn't enhance the viewing experience.

While taking a large layout to a show, especially one that is normally operated in a home environment, isn't easy and some compromises are needed, I think that some layout owners should reflect on how well good presentation can enhance or detract from the viewers' impression of their model. 

On a more positive note I thought that Ferring and Kytedale were well presented, the modelling on Grindley Brook (especially the station buildings) and Tollesbury Quay showed what you can do in 7mm.  Hebble Vale Goods has great architectural modelling but somehow doesn't do it for me as a railway.

Jol

• Like 1

Bit late to the party, but I found it amusing when I went and clicked on the Facebook link for the post on Tony’s article, that I can’t see it.

I remembered the reason behind that was I got removed and blocked from the “British Railway Modelling” Facebook page because I spoke my opinions on a few matters, to which people didn’t like and I was removed. HA!

Sorry, I’m just sitting here having a giggle.

• Like 7

• RMweb Premium

Bit late to the party, but I found it amusing when I went and clicked on the Facebook link for the post on Tony’s article, that I can’t see it.

I remembered the reason behind that was I got removed and blocked from the “British Railway Modelling” Facebook page because I spoke my opinions on a few matters, to which people didn’t like and I was removed. HA!

Perhaps there should be a badge of honour for those who have been removed from fora for upsetting snowflakes.

Jamie

Having been to a local club show today I can see exactly what the article was on about; Metcalfeville scenics backed up by a railway populated by models representing 70 years worth of mixed rolling stock. The Metcalfeville is much easier to accept than diesels on a rake of PO wagons.

And on another tack don't talk about over loud sound! 10 yards away from a layout, and sitting in the tea bar area, surely you shouldn't be able to still hear it.

I have to say I've stopped attending local shows for the same reason and that from year to year the same layouts are often there and little changed, which is a shame as I feel we should support local clubs. I don't have much time to attend shows but managed Southampton and Expo EM last year and intend to go to both again this year. This year I hope to get to the RM Web members day in Taunton which I've not managed for a few years. Any more will be a bonus.

Martyn

I had a quick canter around the CMRA show and agree with the comments. I’d also say Tony appears to be enjoying his Facebook notoriety!

I know it was discussed a few dozen pages back but we got talking to the guy who owned Ealing St (or quay - afraid I have a dire memory for layout names. I also struggle to remember song titles and wine I’ve drunk - may be less of a mystery on the latter!). Whilst a couple of simple ovals and some kitsch film related cameos, the use of forced perspective for the rows of terraced houses stood out for me. I was surprised to learn that this was one of the layouts built for the TV challenge show albeit they were disqualified. Definitely not a show winner but a fun layout and engagingly presented.

David

• Like 1

• RMweb Gold

I have to say I've stopped attending local shows for the same reason and that from year to year the same layouts are often there and little changed, which is a shame as I feel we should support local clubs. I don't have much time to attend shows but managed Southampton and Expo EM last year and intend to go to both again this year. This year I hope to get to the RM Web members day in Taunton which I've not managed for a few years. Any more will be a bonus.

Martyn

Despite my comment earlier I am glad I went. The models on show a mixed bag from entry level upwards, they all had something of interest. In addition I bought a few 2nd hand books and a 2nd hand loco' I've been after for a while (and didn't find at Warley!) so definitely not a wasted trip.  However, I do concur regarding the same exhibits, some worth seeing repeatedly, others not on the local circuits and especially with club open days. My wife and I combined the show with a trip to the local farm-shop on the way back so a pleasant Saturday afternoon out.

• Like 1

• RMweb Gold

Hello,

I have had a go at using a fret saw on a Comet chassis. It has not gone very well. I have watched people doing such things online to try and copy the  techniques shown. So what size blade are you using Tony when you make it look so casual please?

Thank you.

trustytrev. :)

I know people learn things in different ways, but I developed my ability to make piercing saw blades and cutting discs last more than a couple of nanoseconds by sitting between Messrs Gee and Hill and having them take the p!ss out of me when I frequently broke them.

Practice makes perfect now though, and, whilst I can't cut a straight line to the standard of t-b-g, at least I can get more than one cut out of one!

Mike.

• Like 4

I enjoyed the show today and the opportunity to catch up with Tony and Mo.

Ferring was the layout that really captivated me – I'm often naturally drawn to layouts depicting the pre-grouping era. I spent at least an hour watching the train movements. The whole was modelled to a consistently very high standard and view 'under the arches', across the station concourse was very evocative.

Regarding the RM article Tony wrote I considered it to be the catalyst of an on-going and interesting debate. I am surprised that some folks have taken offence at it – they've literally been presented with a gift – a set of core principles that form a pragmatic basis to HELP others, who might be struggling with any given aspect of their modelling, including researching their subject. Research is fascinating in its own right. I've actually spent quite a long time exploring one particular railway, to confirm that I actually don't want to model it after all. All that reading and a few field trips has ultimately saved me from a 'false start'. 

I think if those who have been responding negatively to the piece were asked 'would you like your model railway to be more realistic (convincing or plausible) the vast majority would say something like 'yes of course.' Which makes this negative reaction even more confusing because the article has literally given them a gentle nudge in the right direction, to achieve that aim. I wonder what the same crowd would make of David Jenkinson's tome – Historical Railway Modelling?

Edited by Anglian
  • Like 5

And while I was chatting to Tony someone came up to shake his hand and congratulate him on the RM article!

Only shook his hand?

post-943-0-28994000-1547400888_thumb.jpg

Hey, the guy's become an overnight Facebook celebrity (you aren't on Facebook are you Tony?) and I thought I'd get in early, before he started to charge for an autograph!!  :jester:

Edited by Atso
  • Like 6

• RMweb Premium

Well now, what a storm in teacup that has stirred up.

I started my railway modelling back in the early 1970's having had Triang and Dublo as Christmas and birthday presents in the '60's. Why my first 'train set', which I dearly wish I still had, was tinplate O gauge. There we are, I've dated myself! My first attempts were starting a model of Ashburton which never really came to anything. When I moved to my current city I started, over ambitiously, on a model of Seaton Junction in N. Again that never got very far due to my poor carpentry and then a divorce.

When I moved to my present house I fully intended to build a model but had no real idea of what I wished to do. Indeed that was still the case when I bought the commercially made baseboard kit for my layout on which I am currently working. Indeed I was still working on a fictitious plan based on one of Cyril Freezers plans until I had the privilege of working Little Bytham. At that point Tony, in his approach, effectively convinced me that a prototype track plan was the way to go. Track is now laid and ballasted and mostly proved although some wiring is still to be completed.

Seeing what Tony has achieved, and indeed Gilbert with Peterborough North and the group working on Grantham, convinced me that I need to lift what I was planning to another level. I might not achieve absolute authenticity with the stock I'm running but I'll give it a go! And if I can get even part way to the level of scenic expertise that I've seen on various layouts I'll be very happy.

Interestingly when I go to shows I wince inwardly at those layouts with incorrect signalling or an EWS liveried class 66 with a dozen PO 7 planks in tow - yes, I've seen it very recently. It just looks wrong as it represents something that we just do not see in real life. Another thing that irritates is the inevitable car crash scene with police etc all with overscale beacons flashing away at an intensity that would, in real life, sear most folks eyeballs if looked at.

So, am I in the wrong, or am I as suggested by some on that FB thread a 'dinosaur' as I like to see things represented correctly/realistically?

And as a closing point I am sorry but at present I do not have much to show off as I've been struggling with rather bad sciatica since early October which means I have done very little actual modelling.

• Like 9

• RMweb Premium

Only shook his hand?

attachicon.gif20190113_170700.jpg

Hey, the guy's become an overnight Facebook celebrity (you aren't on Facebook are you Tony?) and I thought I'd get in early, before he started to charge for an autograph!!  :jester:

I suspect that the only charge ever made would be a polite suggestion of a contribution to cancer research.

Jamie

• RMweb Premium

I know people learn things in different ways, but I developed my ability to make piercing saw blades and cutting discs last more than a couple of nanoseconds by sitting between Messrs Gee and Hill and having them take the p!ss out of me when I frequently broke them.

Practice makes perfect now though, and, whilst I can't cut a straight line to the standard of t-b-g, at least I can get more than one cut out of one!

Mike.

For frequently, read every single time.........

• Like 3

CMRA show was of a very high standard overall with some really outstanding exhibits. Greatly enjoyed and thanks to the organisers. Sir was in fine form and enjoying his new notoriety. 

I was impressed with the many layouts from the Dutch contingent which were small and full of detail. Perhaps the way to go with our space starved accommodation these days.

For me Grindley Brook was the star but others ran close competition. Only saw one howler being a train of class A petroleum tanks with no barrier wagons wityh a mixture of liveries some prewar and some from the 1950s.

Martin L

• Like 3

I suspect that the only charge ever made would be a polite suggestion of a contribution to cancer research.Jamie

Which I am ashamed to say I didn't make today.

In my defence, I'm starting the year with a zero position in my bank account, no idea when I'll next make a deposit into it and about to start my fifth year living at with my parents, having lost my house. However, I have made modest contributions in the past and, once I'm back on my feet, will be making a substantial contribution. That will be the least I can do for one of the (if not the) most inspirational people in my railway modelling life.

I wouldn't be the modeller that I've become if it wasn't for people like Tony and I look forward to the continuing progression of my abilities, following their ideals (if not always following their examples).

Tony (and others), thank you for giving me the confidence and ability to succeed in the things I didn't believe I was capable of.

• Like 1

I got removed for telling someone they never got the bargain they thought they did with a loco purchase.i was told I was a bully and picking on a newbie :scratchhead:  :scratchhead:  :scratchhead: