Please use M,M&M only for topics that do not fit within other forum areas. All topics posted here await admin team approval to ensure they don't belong elsewhere.

Wright writes.....

Whilst all this banter has been going on I bet Tony has had a "Happy Night" building yet another A2 - 60533 - and got it running !!

Yes some people are very Jubilee 45726, and some 45727 and dare I say a few are 45729, but if we all had Jubilee 45731 that would be a 45733

(Had to dig out my old 1960 abc combined volume for that !!!).

Brit15

How about some modelling!

The garage is very cold so modelling is in short shifts or jobs that can be done in the warm. Scenic detailing continues and I still have a tree to scratch built but how about some Fen land tranquility to calm things down?

post-12773-0-39491500-1547306431_thumb.jpg

post-12773-0-60710300-1547306462_thumb.jpg

Pretty much everything is scratch or kit built, even the Bachmann open wagon has its wheel set opened out to EM and S&W mk 1 couplings modified to auto uncouple. The photos were taken with my phone and given a slightly vintage feel.

I have read all the posts, had a brief look at the Faceplant page but I don't want to get involved, this after all is my hobby and escape from the stresses of every day life and I teach teenagers for a living so am aware of the tensions caused by social media.

Martyn

Edited by mullie
  • Like 19

• RMweb Premium

6x4 is timeless fun. My two sons enjoy their "baseboard" as its known in our house. Unless I'm testing something, it runs the more robust RTR (for obvious reasons) and they operate exactly as you suggest with trains stopping at random locations that I discover are subsequently named "Birmingham Snow Hill" or Swindon etc.

Davidattachicon.gifIMG_3189.JPG

Love it!

Whilst all this banter has been going on I bet Tony has had a "Happy Night" building yet another A2 - 60533 - and got it running !!

Yes some people are very Jubilee 45726, and some 45727 and dare I say a few are 45729, but if we all had Jubilee 45731 that would be a 45733

(Had to dig out my old 1960 abc combined volume for that !!!).

Brit15

That would make for an interesting topic. Communicating by locomotive numbers.

How about some modelling!

Good idea!

Currently I have a couple of items of rolling stock on the work bench.

The 16T has been repainted before I started the rust work. I'm happy with it so far, but I plan to try out some new techniques using water based gouache before I reunite it with the chassis. 

post-24300-0-87517000-1547308584_thumb.jpg

post-24300-0-96169800-1547308592_thumb.jpg

The double bolster (Bachmann/TMC) has had the planks repainted and given their first mucky wash along with the sides.  I will add some flecks of rust and a touch of build up in the corners, before I airbrush the chassis, tone the body down and finish with some powders.  I’ve bought a couple of the TMC loads, not cheap but rather nice!

post-24300-0-91258300-1547308602_thumb.jpg

• Like 18

@9793

Oh go on ...... do tell how you achieve the rust finish. The only other way I've seen is using the 'salt' method. Looks cracking and I should like to learn.

Cheers,

Philip

@9793

Oh go on ...... do tell how you achieve the rust finish. The only other way I've seen is using the 'salt' method. Looks cracking and I should like to learn.

Cheers,

Philip

Thank you :)

I use enamel paints, and then use different brushes to create flecks, flakes, plus stippling to build up a different finishes for different patches of rust.

I've been following Ian Fleming's methods for the past few years which really continue to inspire.

https://windcutter.wordpress.com/basic-techniques/

Edited by 9793

Good idea!

Currently I have a couple of items of rolling stock on the work bench.

The 16T has been repainted before I started the rust work. I'm happy with it so far, but I plan to try out some new techniques using water based gouache before I reunite it with the chassis. 

attachicon.gifIMG_1501 (1).jpg

attachicon.gifIMG_1500 (1).jpg

The double bolster (Bachmann/TMC) has had the planks repainted and given their first mucky wash along with the sides.  I will add some flecks of rust and a touch of build up in the corners, before I airbrush the chassis, tone the body down and finish with some powders.  I’ve bought a couple of the TMC loads, not cheap but rather nice!

attachicon.gifIMG_1521.jpg

Very nice!

Some of us are old enough to remember 16Ts when they were brand new. I wonder if any of them were ever repainted?

• Like 1

Very nice!

Some of us are old enough to remember 16Ts when they were brand new. I wonder if any of them were ever repainted?

There is a complete thread about the humble 16T mineral wagon on RMWeb under Modelling musings & miscellany.

Sorry I can’t post a link as I’m using a tablet

Tim T

Good morning Trev' (I assume it's Trevor?),

He's holding the tablet-changing device to/from the single track section between Little Bytham Junction and Saxby Junction. 

Most of the locos running over this section had Whitaker automatic apparatus for collecting/accepting the tablet/token, attached to their tenders, but not all. Those without would have used the 'tennis racquet' device in the signalman's hand. I've yet to scratch-build the Whitaker apparatus, and install it next to the 'box. 

attachicon.gifBRM LB 12 B12 on Leicester.jpg

You can just make out the (obviously non-working) automatic exchange device on the front edge of this PDK B12/3s tender.

Regards,

Tony. 

Hello,

Thank you for the mention Tony.Yes it is Trevor. I was joking about the tennis but the images in the following posts are brilliant. Thanks for showing them and the prototypical information.

trustytrev.:)

• RMweb Premium

Along with "Bounsea Castle" and "Isle of Loocey"

Probably near the two missing Halls, Last of all and Bu**er all. and the mythical name of 7 1/4 for 70047 when they used the foreman's cap to draw the names from.

Jamie

Edited by jamie92208
  • Like 2

Hello,

I have had a go at using a fret saw on a Comet chassis. It has not gone very well. I have watched people doing such things online to try and copy the  techniques shown. So what size blade are you using Tony when you make it look so casual please?

Thank you.

trustytrev.:)

• RMweb Premium

Hello,

I have had a go at using a fret saw on a Comet chassis. It has not gone very well. I have watched people doing such things online to try and copy the  techniques shown. So what size blade are you using Tony when you make it look so casual please?

Thank you.

trustytrev. :)

A decent Piercing Saw with tough and large gauge blade might be easier Trevor, however I have not done that particular job for a long time. Depends if you want a dead straight line in the cuts.

Phil

i simply mark the part number, on all but the tiniest, on the etched component, using a fine point marker pen. I use a compartmentalised tray and store the components in groups. Boiler, footplate etc.

Any etchedkit gets scanned into a pdf file before I remove any parts. I also do a copy of the instructions, so that I keep a reference copy unmarked.

Stewart

A decent Piercing Saw with tough and large gauge blade might be easier Trevor, however I have not done that particular job for a long time. Depends if you want a dead straight line in the cuts.

Phil

And relies on good support.

• RMweb Gold

However did we manage to get all this stuff off our collective chests before RMWeb, Facebook and the internet?

There must have been so much pent up angst around.

Or perhaps we just got on with things in our own way and didn't let what others do bother us so much.

Why do you think so many pubs have closed down over the past few decades? ;)

• Like 3

• RMweb Gold

I would of have liked to have posted some modelling today, I think that I may come back next week.

I feel better now. I rather suspect that quite a lot of people who contribute to this thread would not be happy with my modelling ideals, but I am.

• Like 1

Hello,

Thank you.

trustytrev. :)

Are you using Fretsaw blades or Piercing saw blades?

Hello,

Correction needed. I should have said a piercing saw. I have that many saws nowadays it can get a bit confusing :senile:

I bought a piercing saw on ebay and a pack of assorted blades. I have no idea if the blades are actually suitable for what I am attempting to do.

I thought a selection would cover my bases till I became capable in this skill.

trustytrev,:)