Please use M,M&M only for topics that do not fit within other forum areas. All topics posted here await admin team approval to ensure they don't belong elsewhere.

Wright writes.....

• RMweb Premium
4 hours ago, Tony Wright said:

Good afternoon Derek,

It's a little bit older than Tom; it's 43 years old and he's 39!

Your guess is dead right. It is an old Kitmaster body I had for years (it was acquired via a promotion with Nabisco decades ago - does anyone remember that?), which I altered and fitted to a Lima Deltic chassis (which isn't really right). 

It is absolutely packed with lead and long-ago shed its traction tyres!

It did (and still does) me well enough for the prototype DELTIC. Bachmann's RTR version is far superior, but I've had this for far longer.

860514929_DELTIConDownWhiteRose.jpg.d5351746493cfec4d9397e9bce5cee0d.jpg

Deltic.jpg.3aeb64e09fbeed6a8e534164a5a4cc67.jpg

As a layout loco in a layout setting, it still suits me......

824130488_PrototypeDelticinEM.jpg.73419d12e13955511044ffda4d3b1510.jpg

The DELTIC Tom was doing in EM used the same Kitmaster body, but he scratch-built the chassis.

It was started for Roy Jackson to run on Retford, but I doubt now if it'll ever be finished; but who knows? After 40 carriages were hooked up, its speed didn't diminish at all! 

It's not the first Deltic he's modelled.........

1603650191_LimaDelticD9001STPADDY.jpg.93769655193fd0db6b9dfad940e097be.jpg

He altered/detailed/painted/weathered this original Lima Deltic, fitting the body on to two (yes two!) Lima EE Type 3 chassis. What its ultimate pulling power is cannot be tested on LB - after 45 carriages, the train 'implodes' on the curves!  

I suppose the 'ultimate' Deltic is the Loveless one in O Gauge?

53586792_LovelessDeltic02.jpg.090ce7f8446da9c2798446fef8aa3747.jpg

It could even be Gauge 1, but I've forgotten......

As is well-known, I have a great love for the mighty EE Type 5s. 

1038411863_DelticatRetfordsmall.jpg.17a6ef33fd2692eb3026262e7800c300.jpg

Is it really over 55 years ago since I took this shot at Retford? 

1885401788_BachmannDelticD9010.jpg.1a811c58ef81926ceda1e7b3e33a2c9f.jpg

Caring not one jot for time/historical accuracy, I cheerfully run some dozen Bachmann Deltics on LB from time to time. D9016 heads a northbound express.

2014657728_DelticD9003.jpg.d145e91c247cd25ab3a4bc73a1bb7e1e.jpg

MELD has the Up Flying Scotsman......

1653879129_DelticD9021.jpg.8f7dd649a22d7d1c195d95cd9cc4eed7.jpg

And D9021 has the Down train. 

Tom has detailed/altered/renumbered/renamed/weathered these examples.

I'll bet the Accurascale example will be terrific.

Regards,

Tony. 

Hello Tony

Deltic detail nick picking time.

Numbers D9016 and D9021 have the wrong type of yellow panel. The bottom corners should be square not rounded. Rounded bottom corners were only applied to Finsbury park locos, gradually having these replaced with square bottom corners to the panel. Except D9020 which was delivered with square bottom corners. Which brings me on to roof mounted warning horns, both D9020 and D9021 were delivered with these fitted, does your model represent D9021 after these were removed as it is running post November 1963 when it was named. I think it ran for a time with name plates and roof horns.

D9016 seems to have acquired air brake pipes, it didn't do so until October 1967, 9 months after being painted blue.

Edited by Clive Mortimore
  • Thanks 1
  • Informative/Useful 4

Tony,

the L H Loveless prototype Deltic was in "0" Gauge as far as I know they didn't do it in Gauge  1 but that could be wrong.

seeing Tom's craftsmanship on his Deltic builds reminded me of John Phillips Prototype Deltic  wizzing  around Retford and High Dyke with the prototypical Guard at the rear in the form of Roland the Red Rat.. Such happy days with dear Roy, Geoff  &  John.:D

Regards,Derek.

Edited by CUTLER2579
Added a "Do It "
  • Like 1

• RMweb Premium
2 hours ago, APOLLO said:

Your Deltics are truly magnificent Tony - but do they set the local dogs barking !!!

At the bottom of the garden belonging to our regular 'holiday hosts' in Cornwall is the Cornish main line. I often wander down with the dogs to see/hear the Night Riviera come up the bank from Coombe. They are usually oblivious but it sometimes makes the hairs stand up on the back of my neck. It won't be the same now!

• Like 3

34 minutes ago, TrevorP1 said:

At the bottom of the garden belonging to our regular 'holiday hosts' in Cornwall is the Cornish main line. I often wander down with the dogs to see/hear the Night Riviera come up the bank from Coombe. They are usually oblivious but it sometimes makes the hairs stand up on the back of my neck. It won't be the same now!

I've lived at the side of the West Coast main line half way up Boars Head bank (1in105) just north of Wigan for the past 27 years. Favourite sounding trains / locos long gone are the Brush 4's (47's), HST's, and noisy class 20's and 37's (usually on the Sellafield nuclear flask trains). The electrics are and always have been swift and silent(ish), but I miss the named 86 & 87's. The Pendolinos screech a little in both directions accelerating up & braking for Wigan down the bank. The new Trans Pennine loco hauled trains sound a bit throaty - a welcome sound - not many of those at the moment though I think they are on test / driver training. 60's are rare now, 66's seem to struggle up with long freights, but my favourites are the double headed electric container trains flying both up & down. Locos pass by with a scream but the weight / speed of the train is sometimes noticeable as slight vibrations around the house. Not many pacers either these days !!

Oh for the Brits !!!

Brit15

• Like 5
  • Friendly/supportive 1

• RMweb Premium
On 31/01/2020 at 03:57, Headstock said:

Good afternoon Tim,

I recall watching the filming of Blue Peter on a couple of occasions. The last would be in 1989 I think. That would be Caron Keating, Yvette Fielding et al. Studio one, as it was, is now long gone, as is BBC Television centre and sadly Caron Keating. Did you get a Blue Peter badge?

I once met Sara Hollamby in a pub but she didn't give me a Blue Peter badge...

• Like 1
  • Funny 3
  • Friendly/supportive 1

• RMweb Premium
22 hours ago, Tony Wright said:

it was acquired via a promotion with Nabisco decades ago - does anyone remember that?

Yes. I hated Shredded Wheat (still do) but suffered long enough to get a Deltic. I've still got the bits somewhere.

• Like 1
  • Friendly/supportive 1

• RMweb Gold
22 hours ago, Tony Wright said:

It is an old Kitmaster body I had for years (it was acquired via a promotion with Nabisco decades ago - does anyone remember that?)

Indeed I do, that's where I got my Kitmaster Deltic and my love of Shredded Wheat!

I seem to remember them doing other promotions as well, we were forever saving tokens I seem to recall but I can't remember what they were for.

Alan

Edited by PupCam
  • Like 3
  • Friendly/supportive 1

• RMweb Gold
2 hours ago, PupCam said:

I seem to remember them doing other promotions as well, we were forever saving tokens I seem to recall but I can't remember what they were for.

Alan

There were the Kitmaster OO BR Mk1 coaches which to this day are still loved by many as they managed to get pretty good flush glazing back in the early 60's which has only recently been matched by major manufacturers.

Edited by Metr0Land
typo
  • Like 2
  • Agree 3

Details of the Shredded Wheat offer here on this very interesting website. Pity they don't do offers and freebies anymore.

http://cerealoffers.com/Cereal_Partners/Shredded_Wheat/1960s/Kitmaster_Locomotive_Models/kitmaster_locomotive_models.html

Well before my time. I do have the N Gauge Shredded Wheat train.

http://cerealoffers.com/Cereal_Partners/Shredded_Wheat/1985-89/N_Gauge_Steam_Engine_-_Carriag/n_gauge_steam_engine_-_carriages.html

How about "Can you spot an engine-spotter?"

http://cerealoffers.com/Kelloggs/Cornflakes/1950s/British_Locomotives/british_locomotives.html

Jason

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1
  • Informative/Useful 3

• RMweb Premium
7 hours ago, PupCam said:

Indeed I do, that's where I got my Kitmaster Deltic and my love of Shredded Wheat!

Alan

Have you built it yet Alan?

3 hours ago, Steamport Southport said:

Details of the Shredded Wheat offer here on this very interesting website. Pity they don't do offers and freebies anymore.

http://cerealoffers.com/Cereal_Partners/Shredded_Wheat/1960s/Kitmaster_Locomotive_Models/kitmaster_locomotive_models.html

Well before my time. I do have the N Gauge Shredded Wheat train.

http://cerealoffers.com/Cereal_Partners/Shredded_Wheat/1985-89/N_Gauge_Steam_Engine_-_Carriag/n_gauge_steam_engine_-_carriages.html

How about "Can you spot an engine-spotter?"

http://cerealoffers.com/Kelloggs/Cornflakes/1950s/British_Locomotives/british_locomotives.html

Jason

Jason

Re Can you spot an engine-spotter, I thought seagulls did that!

Lloyd

• Like 1
  • Funny 1

• RMweb Gold
1 hour ago, polybear said:

Have you built it yet Alan?

Yes, probably in 1965 (or whenever the promotion was).  No doubt there was more plastic cement on the body sides and the glazing than in the joints on the finished model!   

I might have bought a Dapol version some years ago, just for old times sake you understand, that still lurks in its packaging in a box somewhere in the garage.  

• Like 3
  • Funny 1

• RMweb Premium
4 hours ago, Erichill16 said:

Managed to get a bit of modelling done last night. Finished off these two Parkside fish vans. I use tension lock coupling as I don’t have a layout so my stock gets used on club layouts which uses  them. Also in the photos is the Hornby Pecket which I’ve done some work on removing the NCB lettering and weathering. I know it’s not much but I have managed to get something done. So as I posted earlier, I stuck while the iron was hot and in the background is my next project, Parkside BR 21t hoppers.

I think it’s time to come clean, my name isnt Eric, it’s ROBERT 

so happy modelling,

Regards Robert

AD5D8DFB-148B-4244-9755-90FD5A412B82.jpeg

B47E9354-B59B-447F-85F8-73846641C44C.jpeg

I bet you call all your pets Eric...

• Funny 8

Hi Tony, Good to see you and Mo today at Stafford, it seemed you were busy all day.

John and I hope to arrange a visit in a few weeks when the evenings pull out a bit and the weather warms up.

We hope you had a good journey home.