Please use M,M&M only for topics that do not fit within other forum areas. All topics posted here await admin team approval to ensure they don't belong elsewhere.

Wright writes.....

• RMweb Gold
17 minutes ago, James Fitzjames said:

Very glad you still have it, whatever its shortcomings. My own 70000 of similar vintage, a much-loved gift from my late mother, went west (along with everything model railway) in my deranged step-mother's purge of all that pre-dated her. Treasure your Brit;)

I''m sorry to hear that, it must have been heartbreaking, but from what I can gather these sorts of purges are all too commonplace in families,

Weirdly, when I returned to the hobby, the only item that I could say for sure I'd lost (and have still never found) was a Maudslay bus from the old Merit (?) kit. So last year I made another one as a a 40 year-overdue replacement.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

4 minutes ago, Tony Wright said:

Thanks for all the recent pictures of C12s. 

This afternoon, Ian Wilson brought over the two I'd built/completed for him, plus a scratch-built one he has (we observed social distancing!). 

I've taken the opportunity to photograph them, especially the two Tom Foster weathered. 

545220217_C12Craftsman6737601.jpg.3086b58af16dd173c5ba3f33210d3ad4.jpg

1256542303_C12Craftsman6737602.jpg.5ca8eb75e848ba1afc4f581b008df1ea.jpg

This is the Christmas present Craftsman one I built/painted for Ian.

I think Tom Foster has made a beautiful job of weathering it. 

1905372804_C12SEFinecast6739401.jpg.869efaab2d9a94eec0aab4ed274b1518.jpg

1591346917_C12SEFinecast6739402.jpg.c0931723c880c5d0f9947e1f7382a801.jpg

As he has with the SEF one which Ian had built (body-wise), which I made the chassis for and then painted the complete model. 

252018495_C12scratch-built451301.jpg.b6ea766ad2c249e25d110fc698e60b73.jpg

2089203385_C12scratch-built451302.jpg.c39d618f58c2b1fcb9e072399f97b3dd.jpg

Ian acquired this scratch-built example (available from Slater's) several years ago. Alan Brackenborough painted it.

Last year, he had the misfortune to drop it from table-height on to a solid stone floor! I think I've managed to straighten it out as well as I can, patch-repainting as appropriate. It had a few bent bits, but I hope I've disguised them well enough. 

A lovely representation of an elegant loco, but that must be the ugliest chimney ever to deface a British engine.

Tone

• RMweb Premium

I have never left the hobby apart from when I was in the army, even then I carried on modelling tanks and other AFVs. That is when I learned how to use plastic card. I have had times when modelling has left me. I am in one of those phases at the moment. It happens and I don't worry about them.

4 hours ago, richard i said:

I agree, I read of building locos in magazines but lived abroad and did not know where to start as they said needed wheels and gear box plus motor to complete. I had no one to ask. It was only once back in the UK and able to join a club that I met people who could help. Yes I am too a student of the TW school of loco building. Still am as I go back for further training / help( by watching how TW solves the mess I have got myself into) 

without that, until the Internet forums I would have been lost.

richard 

I remember trying to teach the teacher of my kids simple things like cleaning files after use.

• Like 4
  • Thanks 1

2 hours ago, Barry Ten said:

I''m sorry to hear that, it must have been heartbreaking, but from what I can gather these sorts of purges are all too commonplace in families

Heartbreaking indeed - I'm horrified to find that this has happened to others! Glad you managed to replace your Maudslay bus, though:D

8 minutes ago, Killybegs said:

Too true. When I left home my father gave away all my model railway stuff without asking me. What was worse , he threw out all my 'spotting' records. These included numerous day long records of visits to the South Wales main line at Patchway that, in addition to loco numbers, included details of all the train types, reporting numbers, times, etc. He never approved of my interest in railways and argued that, as I hadn't taken them with me, I no longer wanted them. I was in 'Digs' at the time and barely had enough room to store my clothes. Such is life!

When left home I had to give away all my railway stuff. I really regret giving away my photo's and spotting notebooks. With hindsight I could have probably stored them somewhere but hindsight is a wonderful thing! 

• Friendly/supportive 13

• RMweb Gold
19 minutes ago, Killybegs said:

Too true. When I left home my father gave away all my model railway stuff without asking me. What was worse , he threw out all my 'spotting' records. These included numerous day long records of visits to the South Wales main line at Patchway that, in addition to loco numbers, included details of all the train types, reporting numbers, times, etc. He never approved of my interest in railways and argued that, as I hadn't taken them with me, I no longer wanted them. I was in 'Digs' at the time and barely had enough room to store my clothes. Such is life!

Parents! Larkin, and before him, Freud, were so right. My maternal grandparents disposed of a Hornby Princess Elizabeth that belonged to my mother while she was away at university. I don't think that my mother ever really forgave them.

• Friendly/supportive 8

1 hour ago, The Johnster said:

I moved out of my parents home at the age of 18 at the insistence of my dad, who reckoned it would be good for me, or that's what he said anyway, and had to abandon the idea of modelling while living in bedsits with shared kitchens and bathrooms.  As you do, I found a gilrl who didn't object, got married as it looked like the thing to do, paid my debt to death by producing a child, and had to go on the mortgage treadmill; at least I now had a house with a small space for the sort of micro layout that Iain Rice was beginning to make popular...

Then, like a 3rd of marriages, there was a divorce, and another relationship and another mortgage, which also came to a sticky end.  After that I had a bit (!) of a breakdown, and it took me a very long time to rebuild my life to a situation of mental and financial stability that enabled me to consider taking up model trains again, which brings us to late 2016 when I started Cwmdimbath.  This is to be probably my final layout, as I am now in my late 60s and the clock is ticking ever louder.  This means I  don't have time to spare on the long game, and can see why some of Tony's older clients want locos built for them; they are cash rich but terminally time poor and wish to achieve the railway they've always dreamed of before it's too late and the Grim Reapoer comes a'knocking.  There's no way out of this alive, and if I had lottery money, I'd have quite a lot of kits  (especially Comet coaches) built for me and maybe even commission one or two scratch builds, as well as having the layout rebuilt 'properly' professionally in a new space.  My modelling ability is what it is, and I am capable of working up RTR and building simple kits, but Comet coaches have proved close to my limit; they take a lot of time and I'm struggling with stuff like door handles and hinges. 

There are few loco kits left for me, thus is the plethora of RTR suitable for Mid Glamorgan in the early BR era, but I will be at some time (probably in about a year  or so after my wallet recovers from the shock of the Baccy 94xx ) having a go at a Southeastern chassis for an 1854 that Philou gave me.  This is a nicely constructed body with a terminally bad chassis, which I want to revive, but I wouldn't be surprised if it turns out to be 6 months or more in the makeing  I reckon I've got 15-20 years left with luck, and this is exactly the sort of thing I would have no hesitation in contracting out if I had the wherewithal, as despite the undoubted pleasure and sense of achievement I will get from the finished loco, I will have gotten more from the extra 6 months operating and using it; same goes for the essential Comet coaches on the shopping list.

I wish you all the very best.

Having had a couple of 'breakdowns' myself, I can empathise.

I'm slightly amused at your mention of some of 'Tony's older clients'. Most I build for now (friends and horse-trading with Geoff Haynes) are no older than I am! Some younger; a fair bit younger. 

But, you're right, it was older' clients in the past. 

Which brings me on to a somewhat lugubrious state of affairs...................... By the end of the next decade (maybe sooner) there is going to be a plethora of model railway stuff coming on to the market, as those who own it die off. Late-middle aged (even old-aged) gentlemen make up the majority of the hobby right now (think back to the last show anyone attended). Mortality is inevitable, and it's nearer than further for most in this great hobby. Supply? Demand? In my view, prices will fall, so hang on! 

Regards,

Tony. 

• Agree 3

32 minutes ago, Killybegs said:

Very true!

My mother, in her wisdom, chucked out all my hand-written loco-spotting books when I went off to teacher training college in 1967. She thought I'd grown up. Sadly, along with them went several wallets of negatives I'd exposed. 

'I've got rid of all that old junk you had in your cupboard' was her explanation!

Such is life.

Regards,

Tony. 

• Friendly/supportive 11

• RMweb Gold

Railway modellers are the same demographic as they were back in the 60s, mostly older middle class types, so there will always be a supply of stuff from widows or families liquidising.  Twas ever thus...  Problem for me is that I'm one of these drain circlers myself, and less likely than I once were to benefit from the flood of cheap high quality models that are going to hit the market...

• Friendly/supportive 2

• RMweb Gold
5 minutes ago, Tony Wright said:

. The difference in the renditions of BR green might cause discussion. 

I hope not; discussions of exact livery colours are pointless and tedious and as we've just discussed my time is becoming increasingly valuable to me...  But it is interesting to see these two models side by side in the same light and against the same background.  My view FWIW is that both are perfectly cromulent clean A2s, but yours, with a 50 year old paint job, correctly looks as if it's been in service for longer and has seen more attention with oily cloths; as a finish, I find it preferable, a loco work stained but cared for as a main line pacific should be.

• Like 6
  • Agree 2
  • Thanks 1

LNER era is not my interest, though I thought 4527 with the teak coaches on Bytham looked lovely. 

I was interested in Archie's copper clad turnouts. It's years since I made any of those. I needed three for my storage yard and turned them out this week. They are nice and quick to make compared with the detailed C&L ones.

IMG_4384.JPG.8d23afc08916fa3a6cad675f5cff36e0.JPG

• Like 10
  • Agree 1
  • Craftsmanship/clever 1

Railway modellers are the same demographic as they were back in the 60s, mostly older middle class types, so there will always be a supply of stuff from widows or families liquidising.  Twas ever thus...  Problem for me is that I'm one of these drain circlers myself, and less likely than I once were to benefit from the flood of cheap high quality models that are going to hit the market...

'Railway modellers are the same demographic as they were back in the 60s'

I'm convinced that's not the case now.

May I use myself as an indicator, please?

In 1973, aged almost 27, I joined Wolverhampton MRC. The club had not long been formed, and without being too specific, looking back I seemed to be just below the average age. 

Now, in my 75th year, I'm just above the average age. In 1973, the average age of WMRC members would have been 30, now it's near-70 - and counting! For decades, club members took out hefty exhibition layouts. Now, because of age/infirmity, that's impossible.

The splendid Southwold show is no more. Why? Waveney Valley MRC members are just too old/infirm to tackle the logistics of putting on such a rigorous event - lifting, shifting, carrying - just too much.

Of course, there are some wonderful young modellers coming through, but in nowhere near the numbers to be able to sustain the hobby in its current state.  

Regards,

Tony. 

• Like 2
  • Agree 4
  • Friendly/supportive 3

I hope not; discussions of exact livery colours are pointless and tedious and as we've just discussed my time is becoming increasingly valuable to me...  But it is interesting to see these two models side by side in the same light and against the same background.  My view FWIW is that both are perfectly cromulent clean A2s, but yours, with a 50 year old paint job, correctly looks as if it's been in service for longer and has seen more attention with oily cloths; as a finish, I find it preferable, a loco work stained but cared for as a main line pacific should be.

'cromulent'?

That's a new one on me. 

Thank you for your liking of the finish on BLUE PETER. I think it's naturally weathered down the years. 

Speaking of weathering, if I can offer any advice on the subject of realism in railway modelling, it's the necessity to weather everything on a layout. I cannot see how folk can just have everything spotlessly clean, in a sort of fairy-tale parallel modelling universe. For the museum showcase, maybe; but on a layout purporting to be realistic? 

There have been some wonderful examples of weathering shown on this thread. 

And, one of the best exponents of weathering is Tim Shackleton............

758662409_BachmannIvatt42-6-04316001.jpg.dd3e140f2fffe94047c9c893ecf6370b.jpg

1738941879_BachmannIvatt42-6-04316002.jpg.9fe559604fce8ca6033986ad45f19dcb.jpg

When Ian Wilson brought over the C12s this afternoon, he also brought over this modified (by me) Bachmann 'Flying Pig', which Tim weathered at one Missenden week a decade ago. 

Weathering really brings a model to life.

341072102_D1636257304.jpg.8630db03630cd4c01c39323545f32d8b.jpg

And weathering is what this recent build/paint job of mine needs; on this D16/3, featured recently. 

It needs 'life' breathing on to it.

Regards,

Tony. 

• Like 11
  • Agree 2

• RMweb Gold
6 minutes ago, Tony Wright said:

In 1973, aged almost 27, I joined Wolverhampton MRC. The club had not long been formed, and without being too specific, looking back I seemed to be just below the average age. 

Now, in my 75th year, I'm just above the average age. In 1973, the average age of WMRC members would have been 30, now it's near-70 - and counting! For decades, club members took out hefty exhibition layouts. Now, because of age/infirmity, that's impossible.

The splendid Southwold show is no more. Why? Waveney Valley MRC members are just too old/infirm to tackle the logistics of putting on such a rigorous event - lifting, shifting, carrying - just too much.

Of course, there are some wonderful young modellers coming through, but in nowhere near the numbers to be able to sustain the hobby in its current state.  

Regards,

Tony. 

I think there are two different strands running concurrently and this is a very sweeping generalisation to which there will always be exceptions:-

1) Those of us who fit the mould of the join clubs/societies & volunteer generation (pre war thro' to baby boomers) - in the main ageing and being replaced by a much smaller % of those younger than us.

2) Modellers and rail enthusiasts younger than set (1) - possibly a smaller absolute number, just as keen, but they don't join physical societies in the way set (1) people did, they buy in services rather than contribute by volunteering and via the internet get and share what they need. Modern life is different and I know from the circumstances of younger members of the family that it isn't that young people are lazy, their whole life pattern is now 24/7 not 9-5 and club activities can't necessarily fit or be afforded.

• Like 3
  • Agree 6

• RMweb Premium

It sounds like I’m more fortunate than quite a few in that all of my ABCs and most of my spotting books have survived. If I have a regret it is that I wasn’t old enough to realise the ‘importance’ of making more notes - but hey, this was all going to last forever wasn’t it. If only!

Having said that, I sit down now and again and can ‘plot’ some of our holiday journeys by the types of engines and looking up the home sheds of shunters and the like. In that way I know when we passed Templecombe, Exeter, the Par area and so on. If only I could actually *remember* it! I know we saw the Z class bankers at Exeter and a 2-8-0T on china clay but...

I’m retired now and life has allowed me the means to build a model railway. I build as much as I can but as has been said, there literally just isn’t time to make everything. However, the things that I *have* made, modified or renumbered are infinitely more satisfying than those which come straight out of a box.

• Like 7
  • Agree 1

• RMweb Gold

On a completely different tack - is there a book, or other purchasable source, that details the various roof options for vents etc., on Thompson coaches?

• RMweb Premium
47 minutes ago, Tony Wright said:

Regards,

Tony. 

Hello everyone

The above written by Tony has two things to think about. First is the potential decline as many of us say good buy to life. Solution enjoy today and not worry about tomorrow. It is supposed to be fun hobby. 

The second is Tony's positive note about younger modellers, all the time there are railways and all the time there are modellers (even if virtual modellers on their computers) the hobby will continue. The hobby I joined when I left the army in 1979 is not the same hobby I am enjoying now. I am sure the future railway modellers will enjoy what becomes of their hobby after we have gone. 

• Like 6
  • Agree 4