Please use M,M&M only for topics that do not fit within other forum areas. All topics posted here await admin team approval to ensure they don't belong elsewhere.

Wright writes.....

• RMweb Premium

I was involved in a row with a punter at a show. He was demanding to know what the price of a loco was as it had no price ticket on it, shouting at the trader next to me. The trader was trying to tell him it wasn't his to sell. He had picked up one of my scratchbuilt diesels off my stock table. When I asked for my loco back, he would not believe the trader and I that it was my model and he was going to report us. He had become quite agitated at this point. Thankfully someone with a cool head and a clam attitude got the punter to put the model down and go and see if he could find a similar one on another stand. 

• Funny 1
  • Friendly/supportive 9

5 hours ago, Jack P said:

A couple of pages back Tony asked about lockdown projects. This isn't so much a lockdown project specifically, but thanks to the flexible working afforded to me because of the lockdown, I was able to 'finish' my 2 year + project. 

I recognised early on that the butchered parts for the motion bracket (they came this way when I purchased the kit from ebay) and associated complexity to build the motion was a bit beyond my abilities at the time, being my first kitbuilt loco. Instead of rendering this a static model, or resigning it to a box for decades it went off to @DLT who (not without some head scratching) built the motion and associated parts, along with adding pickups and getting the loco running under its own power (he also kindly included some drain-cocks which I ended up using). My immense thanks to Dave for all his help. I'm certainly a bit more confident now, and while I maybe wouldn't be able to achieve that same result (yet), i'll certainly be building the motion for my future projects! 

She's a bit of a mixed-media kit, using a Hornby tender, and bits from the spares box from various RTR models (chimney, sanding gear, cab details among others), possibly not the typical way to build a kit, but it's the way I built it.  Here she is, Southern N15x 2331 'Beattie' in 1947 condition.

49978420423_ecd7c9b0d2_h.jpg

Since taking these photos the fire iron bracket in the tender, and vac pipe on the rear have been attached. 

49979199482_947a535b1d_h.jpg

She's not perfect by any means, and there are things I would change if I was to build this again - BUT, I had an absolute blast researching, building and finishing her, I'm unashamedly proud of the finished product. Plus i've learnt so much, and it's cemented kit-building as a staple for me.  

The first loco you've built (mainly) yourself? 

Congratulations on such excellent modelling. 

I dread someone bringing along the first loco(s) I built (none of which I now own). I'll just deny they're my work!

Regards,

Tony. 

• Like 1
  • Funny 4

I am surprised that there have not been more fights around the Bachmann seconds stand at Warley.

i did see a punter knock an o gauge jinty off their stand on to the floor at ally pally and shrug his shoulders and walk off. I thought the trader was going to kill him, but to his credit he restrained himself.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, polybear said:

I recall being at an Exhibition (early to mid 2000's, at a guess) where a fight broke out between (I think) a Trader (not one I'm familiar with) and a visitor - proper fist stuff too.  It was all over in a few seconds, and no harm done.  I've no idea what it was about, though the Trader apologised to (I assume) one of the organisers and then walked out of the hall, perhaps to cool off.  The visitor was unhurt, and didn't want to take it further.  And the shady, seedy, "watch your back" part of the country this took place in?  Worthing......

I can confirm that Tony wasn't involved though.....:jester:

I've only ever played cricket in Worthing, so you're right, Brian, it wasn't me. 

Mind you, I've been involved in some altercations at cricket matches down the years. Me?

I recall at one show (no names, no faces) where a particular individual had historically been ultra-critical of a manufacturer's products, so much so that the manufacturer refused to sell him anything any more. However, despite the lengthy criticisms, there were items in the range that the individual could/would use, in fact needed.

So, waiting for the manufacturer (who was trading at the show) to have a break, the guy proceeded to start buying stuff from the assistant (who knew not of the 'embargo'). However, the transactions had not quite been completed when the manufacturer returned. Just as the money was being handed-over, he pushed it all back into the guy's hand, taking back his products. There was an altercation, and someone pushed another one over (I'll leave readers to decide which was which). Observers seemed to just nod sagely, and I, for one, congratulated the manufacturer!

Nothing more came of it. 

Regards,

Tony. 

• Like 3
  • Informative/Useful 2

7 minutes ago, richard i said:

I am surprised that there have not been more fights around the Bachmann seconds stand at Warley.

i did see a punter knock an o gauge jinty off their stand on to the floor at ally pally and shrug his shoulders and walk off. I thought the trader was going to kill him, but to his credit he restrained himself.

Good morning Richard,

Dennis Lovett used to call it 'The greatest pensioners' scrum in history'!

Regards,

Tony. 

• Funny 9

1 minute ago, Tony Wright said:

Good morning Richard,

Dennis Lovett used to call it 'The greatest pensioners' scrum in history'!

Regards,

Tony. 

I feel it might be St. John’s ambulance’s busiest days what with ruck sack swipes and raised blood pressure from excitement, prices or fists. 

• Funny 2

40 minutes ago, Clive Mortimore said:

I was involved in a row with a punter at a show. He was demanding to know what the price of a loco was as it had no price ticket on it, shouting at the trader next to me. The trader was trying to tell him it wasn't his to sell. He had picked up one of my scratchbuilt diesels off my stock table. When I asked for my loco back, he would not believe the trader and I that it was my model and he was going to report us. He had become quite agitated at this point. Thankfully someone with a cool head and a clam attitude got the punter to put the model down and go and see if he could find a similar one on another stand. 

Good morning Clive,

I wonder why some folk seem to think it's all right to pick up models off a display?

I concede, if there's some confusion as whether it's a second-hand item up for sale, or a display piece, then it's done in all 'innocence'.

However, as in my case, where a model is clearly on a demonstrator's table, surely a polite request to handle it is the very least any well-mannered punter could ask. No, some just pick things up regardless. Despite having a 'First in Diplomacy', I might often appear rude in my response! 

On the other hand, some visitors are often surprised when I'll hand over a model I've made, for them to inspect closely, after they've asked questions. 'Oh, I might damage it!' is often the response. 'Don't worry, I can always make another'. 

One chap I used to always hand over models to had lost his sight during an air raid in the War, as a boy. He always (with a friend) attended the St. Albans show and his ability to identify each model, merely by touch, was incredible. 

Regards,

Tony. 

• Like 16

14 hours ago, ScRSG said:

My lockdown project, a totally untypical Scottish Region loco, despite the name! As one of my group will inevitably point out, lamps yet to be fitted! A DJH kit obtained at a very reasonable price from ebay.

IMGP0971.JPG.c25857ea23f7a7e709b413b7d915bffa.JPG

A couple of questions, Chas............

Did you build/paint it? If so, the AWS bang-plate should be painted black, not buffer beam red. 

With the front bogie wheel off the road, how far has it travelled?

It does look good, though.

Regards,

Tony. 

Edited by Tony Wright
to clarify a point
  • Funny 1

13 minutes ago, Tony Wright said:

A couple of questions, Chas............

Did you build/paint it? If so, the AWS bang-plate should be painted black, not buffer beam red. 

With the front bogie wheel off the road, how far has it travelled?

It does look good, though.

Regards,

Tony. 

Yes, I did indeed paint it myself and, of course you are correct about the bang plate. I only noticed the front bogie wheel when I enlarged the pic!! (The re-railing gang are on their way!)

Just because I know you are interested in these things, the exposure was 3-4 seconds at F27 (the lowest (Highest?) my camera will go.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

• RMweb Premium
1 hour ago, Clive Mortimore said:

Wouldn't have been the first time someone had lifted a loco (or more) off a layout. Sounds like a ruse - create a distraction so an accomplice can do the dirty work.

• Like 2
  • Agree 1

• RMweb Premium

Some years ago I entered a 7mm model of a Midland Johnson Compound in the Model Engineer show at Ally Pally and won a medal. After I'd been to collect it a chap came up to me and offered to buy it but I said it wasn't for sale. He started making ever-increasing offers but I just repeated that I didn't want to sell and went to walk away but he grabbed my arm and said something like, "I've made you a really good offer so why can't I have it?" I told him to let go of my arm but he kept on at me and started to get quite abusive until eventually one of the stewards intervened and he left me alone. There are some strange people out there.

Dave 

• Friendly/supportive 18

• RMweb Gold
35 minutes ago, St Enodoc said:

Wouldn't have been the first time someone had lifted a loco (or more) off a layout. Sounds like a ruse - create a distraction so an accomplice can do the dirty work.

One of the first threads I read after I found RMWeb was one on thefts from shows - I think it started with a theft of a Coffee Pot (loco not beverage) from High Level Kits. Very sad to read.

• Agree 6

1 hour ago, Tony Wright said:

Good morning Clive,

I wonder why some folk seem to think it's all right to pick up models off a display?

I concede, if there's some confusion as whether it's a second-hand item up for sale, or a display piece, then it's done in all 'innocence'.

However, as in my case, where a model is clearly on a demonstrator's table, surely a polite request to handle it is the very least any well-mannered punter could ask. No, some just pick things up regardless. Despite having a 'First in Diplomacy', I might often appear rude in my response! 

Tony,

Having completed a Museum Studies course over a decade ago, I fear the 'handling' issue is only going to get worse. The onus was very much on providing children with a 'hands-on experience'. This has permeated the heritage industry for years now, so an expectation of 'handling' at events has been wired into what have become young adults.

• Agree 5
  • Informative/Useful 1

• RMweb Premium
35 minutes ago, MJI said:

I have heard from a few traders about stolen models.

I think most recent was Mike Edge.

In 2015 there were a Number of thefts of ‘Finescale’ items from shows in the north/northwest. At least three 4mm locomotives were taken and one 7mm wagon. The loco’s from traders stands, and the wagon from a layout. was no ‘logic’ to the selection, 2x P4 kit builds,1x Modified OO, none of them era matched, and two kit builds purely demo items. All of them easily recognisable. I’m not aware of any of them re-surfacing to date.

• RMweb Premium
2 hours ago, Tony Wright said:

I feel it's lack of respect Tony. Prevalent in all walks of life and like Covid 19 it's a virus that needs to be stamped out. 

• Like 1
  • Agree 3

2 hours ago, ScRSG said:

Just because I know you are interested in these things, the exposure was 3-4 seconds at F27 (the lowest (Highest?) my camera will go.

having spent the last few weeks researching lenses, might I suggest 'narrowest'?

Graeme

• RMweb Premium
1 hour ago, TrevorP1 said:

I feel it's lack of respect Tony. Prevalent in all walks of life and like Covid 19 it's a virus that needs to be stamped out. 

This is certainly one walk of life where you can't blame "The Youth of Today".  I can't remember a situation when I've witnessed rudeness at shows or other railway events and it hasn't involved older middle aged or elderly men (which lets be honest, make up the bulk of the attendees).  They grew up when their generation would have you believe everyone was taught good manners.  Clearly there were exceptions......

It's something for us to look forward(!) to when the current restrictions are lifted.  People who obviously don't come into enough social contact with others to build up the normal skills, will emerge having almost been in hibernation for several months.

• Like 1
  • Agree 2
  • Friendly/supportive 1

3 hours ago, Dave Hunt said:

Some years ago I entered a 7mm model of a Midland Johnson Compound in the Model Engineer show at Ally Pally and won a medal. After I'd been to collect it a chap came up to me and offered to buy it but I said it wasn't for sale. He started making ever-increasing offers but I just repeated that I didn't want to sell and went to walk away but he grabbed my arm and said something like, "I've made you a really good offer so why can't I have it?" I told him to let go of my arm but he kept on at me and started to get quite abusive until eventually one of the stewards intervened and he left me alone. There are some strange people out there.

Dave 

He must have been brave, Dave! 

Since you tower over me, I don't think I'd have grabbed your arm.

'How much is that?' is a question I'm frequently asked at shows, even though I'll have a little notice explaining that none of the models I've made on my display is for sale. 

In spite of that, on one occasion, several years ago a chap persisted in asking. In the end, I just said a price which I thought nobody would pay. He accepted it! 

So, a lot 'richer' in monetary terms, but 'poorer' in material terms, I soon built another to replace it!

Regards,

Tony.  

• Like 1
  • Funny 9

9 minutes ago, Northmoor said:

This is certainly one walk of life where you can't blame "The Youth of Today".  I can't remember a situation when I've witnessed rudeness at shows or other railway events and it hasn't involved older middle aged or elderly men (which lets be honest, make up the bulk of the attendees).  They grew up when their generation would have you believe everyone was taught good manners.  Clearly there were exceptions......

It's something for us to look forward(!) to when the current restrictions are lifted.  People who obviously don't come into enough social contact with others to build up the normal skills, will emerge having almost been in hibernation for several months.

How true,

Most youngsters I meet at shows could teach some of their elders a thing or two about good manners. 

My pet 'people' hates at shows include (as mentioned) the 'pickers-up', the back-packers and the stinkers! Apart from children (who don't - yet -know better), none of these is young.

Regards,

Tony.  

• Like 2
  • Agree 4

4 hours ago, Tony Wright said:

The first loco you've built (mainly) yourself? 

Congratulations on such excellent modelling. 

I dread someone bringing along the first loco(s) I built (none of which I now own). I'll just deny they're my work!

Regards,

Tony. 

Yep! The first that i've built (mainly) myself - Hopefully definitely the first of many!

Thanks for the kind words! It's taken a very long time though, how long did your first loco take?

Have you ever asked yourself the question, 'Why did I offer to do this?'. 

I do, all the time, yet I never learn!

However, in the case of the following two models, I've fixed them for a dear friend, so my work is justified......

338006321_E401.jpg.173e4dedcd6e9777bf31ba98c0bbec00.jpg

This is a Stephen Poole E4, acquired by my friend at a swop-meet some time ago; builder unknown. 

Whoever built it should have taken up another hobby/job because, quite frankly, it's rubbish! 

Badly glued-together, with a K's Mk.2 motor, its running matched its appearance - exactly! 

Anyway I've made a slightly better sow's ear out of a sow's ear, and, at least it now runs - amazingly, quite well, after much adjustment to the mesh!

1976242222_E402.jpg.e9cd189c0a3f19dd5dbe86eeaa0984ac.jpg

New pick-ups (the originals were rubbish phosphor bronze) fitted, and tender pick-ups as well, it should now be able to negotiate dead-frog points (why does anyone employ these?). 

812112450_C1201.jpg.3e298aae8da24acbdfb6c0562d2315da.jpg

A different builder, but almost as bad, complete with the most-natural (real!) weathering I've ever seen. This is a Craftsman kit, and most of it is glued together! 

811741149_C1202.jpg.f0f9e186cbb17d1a22d05ea7be229639.jpg

Anyway, with bogie pick-ups it should run over 'plastic' track, especially with the meshing now correct. 

Where two of the footsteps have gone is anyone's guess. The ghastly glue residue is apparent. 

I'm sure my friend will be happy, but aren't they grotty? That said, they're probably typical of many (most?) kit-built locos. 

Fortunately, my dear old friend does not look at RMweb (I don't even know if he's got a computer). 

Fortunately, not all kit-built C12s I see aren't so bad (this is the first E4 anyone has brought).

882857062_TomRanceC12.jpg.b2cdfb672bdfa306fa87f3218adf9274.jpg

This beautiful example guesting (and, thus, not requiring lamps) on Little Bytham was built/painted by Tom Rance. 

• Like 10
  • Friendly/supportive 2

17 minutes ago, Jack P said:

Yep! The first that i've built (mainly) myself - Hopefully definitely the first of many!

Thanks for the kind words! It's taken a very long time though, how long did your first loco take?

Not long enough!

It was really rubbish - a BEC J11 fitted on top of a Tri-ang 0-6-0 chasss (with solid wheels), badly glued-together.

Before that, I'd 'satisfied' myself by making a Jubilee from a Tri-ang Princess (badly) and fitting hacked-about Kitmaster bodies (resulting in much loss of blood!) on top of hacked-about RTR chassis.

Schoolboy, then student poverty (and ignorance) has a lot to answer for......

Regards,

Tony.

Edited by Tony Wright
typo error
  • Like 2

53 minutes ago, Tony Wright said:

How true,

Most youngsters I meet at shows could teach some of their elders a thing or two about good manners. 

My pet 'people' hates at shows include (as mentioned) the 'pickers-up', the back-packers and the stinkers! Apart from children (who don't - yet -know better), none of these is young.

Regards,

Tony.  

As a wearer of a back pack, l should keep a low profile then near your stand the next time we are both at an exhibition.  

• Funny 2

• RMweb Gold
On 07/06/2020 at 17:26, Tony Wright said:

In a funny sort of way, 60532 represents a modelling 'journey' on my part (they say admission is good for the soul!).  

It was built in the days before I'd built a chassis, and was a typical product of the '60s, and definitely of its time. In a way, Bob Wills' concept was brilliant. He took a reliable, good running RTR chassis (usually Tri-ang, but Hornby Dublo two-rail was exploited as well) and designed a cast metal body kit to fit on it. It gave the modeller an opportunity to increase his/her loco stud in a relatively quick and easy way. The concept was seductive, and I succumbed! The fact that, in many cases, the body kits were designed to fit over an RTR chassis (resulting in incorrect splasher positions, for instance) didn't seem to matter - a Triang 'Jinty' chassis was ideal for a 2251, a 'Q', a 4F and a J39, wasn't it? 

I would think that for many modellers, they are on a journey; I know I am.  Below is one of those basic RTR models you mentioned, that I succumbed to take and improve. When I was first given the Triang 3F, I think in the mid 80s, it was probably the best part of 30 years old then and a non-runner. I cleaned it up and got it going, I then replaced the Triang drivers with Romford’s, not too successfully as I had to bodge the pick-ups and I think the wheel flanges fouled the plastic body and my home made coupling rods didn’t quite match the crankpins. I cut away the plastic under the boiler, made the reversing rod from bits of plastic and carved off the handrails and replaced them with wire. It even has crew and lamps! The piston things below the smokebox door are pins, pushed through with a hot soldering iron, as were the cabside handrails!

1479623700_Triang-Comet3F43216(1).jpg.58db3a76c61d665918b0bb59412630a4.jpg

The original ‘too small’ and inappropriate 3500 gallon tender body was binned and replaced by some old plastic food packaging cut to an approximate shape. The coal rails are from a Hornby Compound. The chassis is as, and won’t run on code 75 rail.

A bit later on, during my journey of learning and experience, the Triang loco chassis was replaced with a Comet one, a Jinty I think. And it’s compensated, not sure the brand of hornblock guides but they’re plastic, and has a small Mashima can motor. The finish is brushed Humbrol matt black and a brushed varnish. From memory it ran quite well.

A while back I was looking through my stock and thought about recycling the wheels to a 4F, the chassis to a Jinty and, probably, binning the rest. But I looked at it and thought, ‘it’s maybe not that bad. What else can I do with it?’ I was able to pick up an unmade George Norton etched brass tender on eBay for about 6GBP (plus about 12GBP postage to Australia!) and I found some Alan Gibson wheels in an old tin. The tender is in the queue to be built, not sure how it will sit with the crude plastic body of the loco, but however it comes out I’m not really fussed as it will continue my journey.

Anyone got any other ‘journey’ modelling they want to show?

Kind regards,

Iain

Edited by Iain.d
missing word / punctuation
  • Like 15
  • Craftsmanship/clever 1