Please use M,M&M only for topics that do not fit within other forum areas. All topics posted here await admin team approval to ensure they don't belong elsewhere.

Wright writes.....

22 minutes ago, Beechnut said:

I harvested this image from Facebook and thought it might add to the weathering debate.

Doncaster 1964

1704F89D-CE87-408A-ADC8-05DE041F6E10.png

Great shot!

I'm fortunate to own a model of 60114, built by Tony Geary. 

1681838839_A160114DJH.jpg.e8e60e4ded7babdb8e0ad5013eadedc7.jpg

It's in a similar state to the prototype picture.

I also built 60114 from a DJH kit.

1938916766_A160114.jpg.c33948041c426747710ddf0415a37e2b.jpg

I built it for Leander on here. Ian Rathbone painted it, but in the clean condition the loco was in when it ran on a railtour (to Blackpool?). 

It came back to me to be sold-on, which I did.

Regards,

Tony. 

• Like 12

24 minutes ago, Tony Wright said:

Great shot!

I'm fortunate to own a model of 60114, built by Tony Geary. 

1681838839_A160114DJH.jpg.e8e60e4ded7babdb8e0ad5013eadedc7.jpg

It's in a similar state to the prototype picture.

I also built 60114 from a DJH kit.

1938916766_A160114.jpg.c33948041c426747710ddf0415a37e2b.jpg

I built it for Leander on here. Ian Rathbone painted it, but in the clean condition the loco was in when it ran on a railtour (to Blackpool?). 

It came back to me to be sold-on, which I did.

Regards,

Tony. 

Had it lost it’s electric lighting by 1964?

Brendan

On 16/12/2020 at 19:19, Tony Teague said:

If I may add something more modest in terms of 2020 achievements; as Tony knows, loco building is not my forte or comfort area, but during the year my layout has made progress and I have built at least 16 wagon kits, painted and weathered these & more:

1307287961_SJP2020-12-0517-33-48(BRadius8Smoothing4)02201129.jpg.1b342b390bfa956ef3928242ca93ebe4.jpg

I have also scratch built a new parish church:

SJPP428000702200428.jpg.ec4669f7e9bb2d95caf595e1002154e4.jpg

and finished my Control Panel which has been in building for at least 4 years!

SJPP917002002200917.jpg.6cd6df3d1b1a53f3acb8a7577784ea0f.jpg

Happy Christmas to all Wright's Write readers!

Tony

Could you say where you sourced the coloured tips for the toggle switches. My usual source has stopped selling them and I cannot see anyone selling them in packs of one colour. Thanks

4 minutes ago, 43078shildoncountydurham said:

Push me the the right direction, just having a go at em gauging a Hornby K1, but have lost the pony anybody else other than Hornby do them?

Thanks you lot and I wish each and everyone a Happy Christmas, take care all.

Craig

Try this:

https://www.petersspares.com/Hornby-x6978-k1-pony-truck.ir

Frank

50 minutes ago, Barry O said:

When you move a steam loco out of the paint shop, fire it up and move it under power it gets dirty.. My memories of steam locos in the 1960s was.. filth..

@Tony WrightrighWririghthWrighWrighth

And, of course, there's all the muck and dirt that comes out of steam loco funnels that got on everything including on other locos and stock. My memories were all the soot and grime everywhere and being told not to lean out of the windows otherwise you'd get smuts in the eye.

Edited by grahame
  • Agree 3

1 hour ago, 43078shildoncountydurham said:

Push me the the right direction, just having a go at em gauging a Hornby K1, but have lost the pony anybody else other than Hornby do them?

Thanks you lot and I wish each and everyone a Happy Christmas, take care all.

Craig

Comet makes a suitable pony truck, Craig

Regards,

Tony. 

5 minutes ago, Tony Wright said:

Good evening Brendan,

I think 60114 retained it to withdrawal.

Regards,

Tony. 

Hello Tony

So the light to the smokebox top was removed/lowered to comply with OHLE regs, got it.

It is an interesting image and in surprisingly good external condition for the year. I did wonder if it was about to be used, or just come off a railtour, which of course would explain the photo.

Cheers

Brendan

9 hours ago, LNER4479 said:

... to which (re turn of the century) I would add the tallow effect whereby the polishing of the paintwork was undertaken in a carefully manicured way such that there was a repeated pattern. Some plate camera pictures of that era, showing the proud late Victorian traincrew standing by 'their' loco thus treated are incredible. Oh for a colour camera in those days!

Of course, it'd be splattered with oil and muck at the end of the day and they'd have to do it all again!

Yes. I think some of the railways allocated a crew to the locomotive so it was "theirs" and making sure it was clean and basic maintenance was their responsibility. 

One or two in the NRM still have the drivers name written in the cab. Gladstone definitely still has. A couple of examples here.

http://thebrightonbranchofaslef.yolasite.com/dedicated-locos-and-men.php

Jason

• Like 1

• RMweb Gold
2 hours ago, Bill Matters said:

Could you say where you sourced the coloured tips for the toggle switches. My usual source has stopped selling them and I cannot see anyone selling them in packs of one colour. Thanks

Have a look here:

https://www.railroomelectronics.co.uk/Switches/Miniature-Toggle-Switch-Covers/Page1.aspx

Tony

• Like 1

• RMweb Premium
8 hours ago, MikeParkin65 said:

Happily purchase will not be compulsory :)

It is rather steep Mike, but I was very pleased to see the announcement as it suggests that the Bachmann release is going ahead (hopefully at a lower price) and in these generally uncertain times I couldn't help wondering ... Usual story for me: lots of other locos to build that are so much less likely as RTR releases, so I'll be buying one, especially after Tony's review :)

• Agree 1

• RMweb Premium
1 hour ago, Chas Levin said:

It is rather steep Mike, but I was very pleased to see the announcement as it suggests that the Bachmann release is going ahead (hopefully at a lower price) and in these generally uncertain times I couldn't help wondering ... Usual story for me: lots of other locos to build that are so much less likely as RTR releases, so I'll be buying one, especially after Tony's review :)

It begs the question, how far will manufacturers be able to push prices before enough of the potential market says ‘no!’   I’ll buy one as well, but then wait to see if the price subsequently drops to clear unsold stock.

• Agree 2
  • Interesting/Thought-provoking 1

• RMweb Gold
7 hours ago, Chamby said:

It begs the question, how far will manufacturers be able to push prices before enough of the potential market says ‘no!’   I’ll buy one as well, but then wait to see if the price subsequently drops to clear unsold stock.

It has already occurred for me, not a blanket no but as the budget available for hobbies is finite definitely a reduction in numbers of items bought which are new, possibly more for second hand when shows restart and undoubtedly retention of my older items rather than an upgrade to a new item.

One of my reasons for going over EM was the rising price  of new locos, often beyond my budget.  A new set of wheels,  chassis and detailing parts can be spread across a period of time so making it affordable and giving me something enjoyable to do. Today it is tidying up some pcb track, check railing a harbour scene and planning point rodding.

I am enjoying going back over old models  I own and making them better. Some of them date back over 20 years such as my Bachmann J39, some go back even further to my teenage years. 

Of course being EM they are worth even less money but my daughters won't want Dad's trains. 

Martyn

• Like 3
  • Friendly/supportive 4

10 hours ago, Chas Levin said:

Good morning Chas,

Though I don't know for a fact, I assume these V2s will be limited editions (?). 

What's interesting (at least to me) is that 60800 in BR green represents the loco in preservation only. It has worksplates on the cabsides and tows a low frontplate tender. In general service, in BR green the cabside 'plates were missing and it towed a high frontplate tender with small front cut-outs.

Regards,

Tony. 

• Informative/Useful 3

11 hours ago, Chas Levin said:

Compared to the recently announced Locomotion LNWR inside cylinder 2-4-0 at a RRP of £220, it doesn't seem too bad, especially as it is already discounted by the online retailers.

The Bachmann MR /SDJR/BR 0-4-4T thread elsewhere on RMweb would also seem to show that their is no shortage of demand for the new, detailed, RTR models, with some people buying multiples, especially in different liveries and specifications.

Those suppliers at most risk at present are potentially the kits and bits suppliers. The loss of shows and exhibitions which is usually where they can sell products and introduce  new items, so keeping in touch with their customers,  has undoubtedly been a problem. However a reasonable web presence has helped keep sales going for most. They have probably also suffered more in getting supplies during the pandemic from UK suppliers that the RTR manufacturers have experienced importing from China.

• Agree 2

What would be  the price of an equivalent quality kit (assuming there was one) of a V2 with wheels, motor, painting, lining, name/number plates and any other ancillaries needed to get it to the same quality as the new Bachmann version? If we are talking a DJH motor combo and Markits wheels, there's £150 or more just for starters. Puts a £230 RRP, which will surely be discounted, into some sort of perspective.

I don't deny £230 is not a trivial sum for a toy train, but at least it's a purchase which folk can choose to take or leave - despite some posts to the contrary, they may WANT it but they don't NEED it

Edited by rowanj
  • Like 2
  • Agree 9

• RMweb Premium

These prices won't affect the modeller market while there are still enough collectors to buy them.

We've discussed on this thread before that the growth has been in collectors and not in building of model railways to run them on.  That's why manufacturers issue so many versions and offer limited editions, which have greater rarity value.  Hopefully some of these collectors, one day, get the urge to build a layout to display or even run their locomotives on, but I suspect a significant minority are bought by people whose primary enjoyment of anything, is to know its' cash value.

• Like 1
  • Agree 5

Those decorated samples of the V2 that have bright finish on the rods and wheel rims seem to show up rather deep, broad wheel rims with rough flanges (cast?) and broad section rods with an ugly screw head in the return crank. The bolt /rivet detail in the bodies seems rather "emphatic" too. Will the production versions be any better?

Fortunately, I don't feel any need to decide whether to "pre-order" when I don't really know what I would get. I already have the V2s that I want.

• Like 5
  • Agree 1