Please use M,M&M only for topics that do not fit within other forum areas. All topics posted here await admin team approval to ensure they don't belong elsewhere.

Wright writes.....

• RMweb Gold
50 minutes ago, ecgtheow said:

I recently bought what I think is a WW1 warflat wagon on eBay, but it arrived with 1 broken & 1 bent bogie. If possible I would like to replace the damaged bogies with new ones. Can anyone let me know where I can buy such bogies, please?

William2094813262_WW1warflatbogie2.jpg.c21da8abf181770ca54cb72e424608eb.jpg2094813262_WW1warflatbogie2.jpg.c21da8abf181770ca54cb72e424608eb.jpg

Bachmann do a rtr versiom - https://railsofsheffield.com/products/22673/Bachmann-38-727-oo-gauge-wd-50t-warflat-bogie-wagon-br-grey-early-?gclid=CjwKCAiA_eb-BRB2EiwAGBnXXqS5umYq0_rbKZYq4MKYSDWXxXhIDNXvfS59GUv1vDbw6NFSmXO-YxoCVw0QAvD_BwE - they may be able to provide bogies as spares. I have found them very helpful for spares and reasonable too - service@Bachmann-europe.co.uk

• Informative/Useful 1

1 hour ago, ecgtheow said:

I recently bought what I think is a WW1 warflat wagon on eBay

Looks as though I own the same wagon (same number):

spacer.png

This is a Parkside kit, but any of the bogies mentioned above will do the job.

Edited by jwealleans
  • Like 1

• RMweb Premium
47 minutes ago, FarrMan said:

Is that the best reception you get on your TV?

Lloyd

It's like that until you hit the TV on the side, about 2/3rds of the way up, with a rolled-up copy of the Radio Times.

• Like 4
  • Informative/Useful 1
  • Craftsmanship/clever 1
  • Funny 7

28 minutes ago, Tony Wright said:

Christmas has come early..................

Geoff Haynes dropped off the following this morning......................

2040456463_DapolweatheredOGauge12Tvan.jpg.63cfd307560b90a48461ec56ebde80fe.jpg

One of my Christmas presents to Ian Wilson this time is this Dapol O Gauge 12T BR van (Ian doesn't read RMweb). Geoff has weathered it to perfection. 

1365985308_J664178weathered.jpg.39622b268d411c59525b82bd38b981a7.jpg

He's also weathered this J6.

1238674949_weatheredDELTIC01.jpg.a228dc0b2afa59845cb7ddfdc6d2fec1.jpg

And, my replacement prototype DELTIC. Yes, I know this isn't the same as the one I made well over 40 years ago (the one I dropped, now being resurrected by Poly Bear), but it is a very impressive model, especially since Geoff has 'naturalised' it so well.

Yes, it's now no use as a 'collectors' item (I've already lost the Ltd edition certificate), but so what? 

338490616_60062MINORUpainted.jpg.fd942d2b8217b15d2e2c7d16f836f0c5.jpg

He's also painted MINORU.

23746707_MikeTriceV2spainted01.jpg.740a3b3cc49f542a0ef7128cd5bce831.jpg

And the pair of Mike Trice 3D-printed V2s (bodies).

Now all glazed, lamped-up, coaled and crewed, they're all off to work on Little Bytham (not the O Gauge van, of course).

More later......................... 

Good afternoon Tony, as a fan of the V2 3d printed bodies look outstanding. Who needs to wait for the Bachmann version when that's available....

I should add - Happy Christmas all.

Edited by davidw
To add something.

8 hours ago, Tony Wright said:

There is enormous interest (and support) for Retford's on-going future.

On that theme ...

DSC00641.JPG.c5b5fc16b0486fad89d330ac61b8a829.JPG

As I'm now doing a batch of signals, I'm going to do this one which I had originally offered to do for Roy. In case it's not immediately apparent, the base post has already been soldered up.

If this signal does in fact already exist and Roy was just winding me up, could whoever took it home with them please 'fess up and I'll build something else instead ...

• Like 6
  • Thanks 1

• RMweb Gold
6 minutes ago, Tony Teague said:

and finished my Control Panel which has been in building for at least 4 years!

SJPP917002002200917.jpg.6cd6df3d1b1a53f3acb8a7577784ea0f.jpg

Happy Christmas to all Wright's Write readers!

Tony

Now that’s what I call a Control Panel. :good_mini:

What’s also impressive is, I assume, all the documentation neatly contained in those binders close at hand for reference if required. 

Edited by 4630
  • Like 1
  • Agree 3
  • Thanks 1

1 hour ago, LNER4479 said:

On that theme ...

DSC00641.JPG.c5b5fc16b0486fad89d330ac61b8a829.JPG

As I'm now doing a batch of signals, I'm going to do this one which I had originally offered to do for Roy. In case it's not immediately apparent, the base post has already been soldered up.

If this signal does in fact already exist and Roy was just winding me up, could whoever took it home with them please 'fess up and I'll build something else instead ...

There is a hole in the baseboard where that signal should be. I checked the videos I took in 2018 on my final visit during Roy's lifetime and that signal is not present. I could not see a hole in the board either so perhaps someone did start building it.

• RMweb Gold
1 hour ago, 4630 said:

Now that’s what I call a Control Panel. :good_mini:

What’s also impressive is, I assume, all the documentation neatly contained in those binders close at hand for reference if required. 

Thanks, and yes, the wiring in particular is very carefully documented, otherwise fault finding would be almost impossible! :scared:

1 hour ago, Tony Teague said:

If I may add something more modest in terms of 2020 achievements; as Tony knows, loco building is not my forte or comfort area, but during the year my layout has made progress and I have built at least 16 wagon kits, painted and weathered these & more:

1307287961_SJP2020-12-0517-33-48(BRadius8Smoothing4)02201129.jpg.1b342b390bfa956ef3928242ca93ebe4.jpg

I have also scratch built a new parish church:

SJPP428000702200428.jpg.ec4669f7e9bb2d95caf595e1002154e4.jpg

and finished my Control Panel which has been in building for at least 4 years!

SJPP917002002200917.jpg.6cd6df3d1b1a53f3acb8a7577784ea0f.jpg

Happy Christmas to all Wright's Write readers!

Tony

Wonderful stuff, Tony,

Especially considering the difficult times you've had of late. 

Kindest regards,

Tony. 

• Agree 1
  • Thanks 1

4 hours ago, davidw said:

Good afternoon Tony, as a fan of the V2 3d printed bodies look outstanding. Who needs to wait for the Bachmann version when that's available....

I should add - Happy Christmas all.

Good evening David,

Thanks for your kind comments.............

'Who needs to wait for the Bachmann version when that's available....'

Those who can't build such things themselves, I'm afraid.

Regards,

Tony. 

• Like 3
  • Agree 1
  • Friendly/supportive 2

1 hour ago, robertcwp said:

There is a hole in the baseboard where that signal should be. I checked the videos I took in 2018 on my final visit during Roy's lifetime and that signal is not present. I could not see a hole in the board either so perhaps someone did start building it.

As far as I am aware no one was building this signal. Could be wrong though!

Pete

• Thanks 1
  • Informative/Useful 1

• RMweb Gold

I feel like I have managed to get quite a lot done this year, including getting my 4700 and County running after a long time on the to do shelf and getting the first two complete rakes of coaches for Brent fitted with new couplings and flexible gangways.

1334427303_1fruitc.jpeg.c333e0543b55d4a3da7a3c7b544747fb.jpeg

Dave Geen kit for a Fruit C, started something like 8 years ago and it sat with the sides and chassis complete for the majority of that time.  I cut a new roof from brass sheet and glued in place, before adding the remaining castings and painting.

milk.jpeg.15deda5c2ca6eb22008d24bea18861a0.jpeg

As well as managing to add new couplings to the rest of the milk rake, I also managed to build this Falcon kit for an O41 twin milk tank which is going to need some custom transfers commissioning eventually (I have finished the artwork at least).

a22.jpeg.a676389da1e73e3dd58accb40c24e4ff.jpeg

This A22 is a bit of an experiment for future improvements to the numerous "Sunshine Stock" coaches I need for Brent.  Comprised of a Bachmann roof, chassis & bogies and Comet etched sides and ends.  The sides have a length of 5mm by 1mm brass strip soldered along the top to provide a base for the shortened Bachmann roof.  Sides and ends were soldered together, before gluing to the roof.  The Bachmann chassis was shortened to the 60ft length required and fitted with Comet headstocks (reusing the Bachmann plastic buffers).  It is awaiting paint in the new year, on the plus side everything that was painted in 2019 has now been lined and fitted with transfers so the only stuff awaiting a trip through the paint shop was built in 2020.

o33.jpeg.75e11c38bdc5d4932dd1fa1c6daa2859.jpeg

Probably the most enjoyable build was this O33 kit from Ian M, also awaiting paint.

tpo.jpeg.553ff1687d871b7c6605bae4622386e2.jpeg

Another brass coach build this year has been a set of GWR TPOs, building L18, L21, L22 and L23 from the Hammond kits (with Comet parts for some of the castings, floor and roof.  This one had the roof tape cut too thick which has since been rectified.  All 4 are awaiting bogies and paint.

county.jpeg.782140e825bceff5000b14b2b9dc2632.jpeg

Finishing off the year was some work on loco weathering, along with a focus on the mechanicals of some kit built chassis that have spent far too long taking up space on the work in progress shelf.  While 4707 and 1004 now both work, the former still needs the crank pin washers soldering on (once I get some ordered).  My 43xx which was on the bench at the same time was an utter failure thanks to some poor decision making on my part...  It now needs some thinking as to how I might be able to fix it.

Looking forward to 2021 and hopefully making some real progress on my layout and getting these brass coaches painted and into service.

• Like 16

On 15/12/2020 at 11:41, Chamby said:

What a cracking photograph of a locomotive that I just happen to be currently working on, to include in my GC A3 roster.  Thanks!

My own model of 60054 is being cobbled together through a bit of RTR bashing.  The base model is R3132 'Book Law', being in the correct livery and with a round dome, but externally converted to Right Hand Drive and coupled with a tender from R3518 'Gay Crusader'.  As well and re-numbering and re-lettering, the cab-side cutout needs filling in to represent the later, smaller pattern - this is being achieved using a fillet cut from styrene tube, shaped to fit.  

Whilst working on this I have tried a product that I haven't used before... Citadel Paints (Warhammer) Liquid Green Stuff which is like a gloopy thick paint mix used to fill in small cracks and provide a smooth surface for painting over.  First impressions are that it seems to be an excellent product for fiddly little filling jobs like this.

Incidentally, Gay Cusader is similarly being paired with Book Law's swopped tender to become 60048 Doncaster.

IMG_4184.jpg

Good evening Chamby,

The real locomotive wasn't quite so and span. Like most of the LNER/BR green A3's that came to the GC in 1949, 60054 was in appalling external condition. It remained that way until it was sent into works, emerging in April 1950 in BR blue. Unlike the majority of the others, that struggled to improve on the performance of the B1's that they were supposed to replace, 60054 was in good mechanical order. She was part of number one link and for a time and worked the Master Cutler when the two blue meanies (60102 and 60052) were not available.

I include an image of 60054 working the Master Cutler on the 23-7-49, Southbound at Chorley Wood. The image was sent to me by the son of H C Casserley, it is a print from the original negative. It is one of two shots, the second being a little more famous as it shows the Bullied tavern car passing the camera and has been featured in a number of publications. The shot taken just before that is this one and features 60054 in all its glorious grime, the Tavern car is just behind the trees.

Will it be out with the Citadel muck rust and cinders?

I have permission to use the image but please observe copyright.

56783 Chorley wood 60054 23-7-49 7.jpg

• Like 13
  • Informative/Useful 3

On 13/12/2020 at 10:02, Tony Wright said:

All the usual season's salutations........................

22430509_60700christmas.jpg.bb01f628c406db3655caf3ae8c82c99c.jpg

Could do better might be an apposite comment........................

Hi Tony

I have just put a note on my own Haymarket 64B thread and 

I hope you do not mind me putting this information on your thread as well as so many railway modellers follow your thread.

It’s with great sadness I have just been informed by his family that Norman Saunders of Just Tracks sadly passed away last Friday 11th December.

This is just in case there are modellers who follow your thread who knew him but had not heard the sad news.

Regards

David

• Friendly/supportive 6

• RMweb Premium
17 minutes ago, landscapes said:

Hi Tony

I have just put a note on my own Haymarket 64B thread and 

I hope you do not mind me putting this information on your thread as well as so many railway modellers follow your thread.

It’s with great sadness I have just been informed by his family that Norman Saunders of Just Tracks sadly passed away last Friday 11th December.

This is just in case there are modellers who follow your thread who knew him but had not heard the sad news.

Regards

David

That is sad news.

I didn't know Norman well but I had got to meet him when I built a signal or two for a layout he was building. He was a nice bloke and a very skilled modeller.

• Agree 1

8 hours ago, robmcg said:

Tony, a quick note to thank you for your thread, your energy, forbearance (towards my photo-editing), and highly skilled inspirational craftsmanship.

Your page truly enhances the pleasure of this hobby.

As one who no longer does much modelling, the enjoyment and satisfaction shared in these pages is contagious. I must nevertheless blame you, indeed, thoroughly castigate you for my ordering two A2/2 class locos.

This is a severe blow to the make-it-yourself ethos, but I stand unbowed.  Some day in the new year I expect to assail certain obscure pages of this forum with misleading photos of model trains, so that one day far into the future people will say, "Do you remember the time when models were displayed in all their beauty with photographs which did not lie?"

May your Nikon cameras' great depth-of-field long continue.

Good morning Rob,

What generous words. Many thanks.

May I just alter one point, please? Though the thread is in my name, it's not really 'mine'. It's everyone's, and the 'highly skilled inspirational craftsmanship' seen on here is down to the myriad of folk who put their (wonderful) work on show on here. The thanks are due to them.

Regarding A2/2s (and A2/3s), I take full responsibility for their being ordered in numbers (though I won't take the credit). I'm told pre-orders are very high! I rejoice, in a way, in fence-sitting. Can there be anything more hypocritical than to build a model from a kit, then hand it over to an RTR manufacturer for him/her to see what it looks like 'in the flesh' so to speak? Granted, the RTR model won't be made in the same way (it'll probably be better!), but I'm told, having something physical to hold is invaluable for assessing a model's potential. Other locos/items of rolling stock, also built from kits by me have been and still are with RTR manufacturers. How long can this 'poacher turned gamekeeper' be 'friends' with both sides? 

Though it's true that (usually) when a new RTR model appears it inevitably dents an equivalent kit's sales, it can have a positive effect in many ways. Obviously, in the case of the forthcoming Hornby Thompson Pacifics, as long as someone can pay for them then he/she will have a model (a very fine one) of a type previously only available to those who could build them or commission them. But the numerous types of rolling stock which this new loco might haul are certainly not all covered by the RTR boys/girls. They'll need making. And, in saving, say, the scores of hours (on average) needed to build an A2/2, then the modeller can direct his/her attention to that point rodding, making those signals work and improving the architecture/scenery on his/her layout. Plus, there's always the many locos to build which will NEVER be available RTR (who's kidding whom?). 

As far as your editing photos goes, you'll know my ambivalence towards it. I think some of the effects you achieve are fantastic, and show a skill of an equal level needed to create what's seen on here; a different skill, though no less impressive. The reason why your edited A2/2 picture of mine was 'taken down' was not out of spite, but because I photographed a pre-production model, showing viewers just that; nothing else. To digitally add all the extra bits was considered misleading. 

Meanwhile, thanks again and all the best to you for the coming season. And, please enjoy your A2/2s when they arrive.

Regards,

Tony. 

Edited by Tony Wright
typo error
  • Like 5
  • Agree 2
  • Thanks 1
  • Informative/Useful 1
  • Interesting/Thought-provoking 1
  • Round of applause 1