Please use M,M&M only for topics that do not fit within other forum areas. All topics posted here await admin team approval to ensure they don't belong elsewhere.

Wright writes.....

• RMweb Gold

All good advice, I also add to what @woodenhead posted, and possibly get your hired van from a chain rather than a local independent with the location emblazoned all over the side. Makes the van less easy to spot/target amongst all the others.

The example for me would be using Enterprise rather than Dorset Van Hire. Luckily my current exhibition stands are bulky rather than valuable so theft in transit currently is not a particular issue for me to worry about but it was when I used to take my Classic Train Set H-Dublo layout on the road - insurance rules effectively meant a minimum of two crew in the van. The reason at pit-stops solo left the van unattended; my wife and I couldn't both go in to eat or use the facilities together without leaving the van/trailer unattended and therefore with contents temporarily uninsured.

• Like 1
  • Informative/Useful 1

• RMweb Premium
1 minute ago, TEAMYAKIMA said:

I've searched for one on RMweb but can't find one

The thread is called Lime Street Station. It doesn't have Liverpool in the thread title, so it doesn't jump out as being about the layout.

• Like 1

42 minutes ago, t-b-g said:

The thread is called Lime Street Station. It doesn't have Liverpool in the thread title, so it doesn't jump out as being about the layout.

Thank you - as you have guessed I was searching with Liverpool as part of the search.

• Thanks 1

• RMweb Gold

Those that own Lime Street Station have my complete sympathy. As others have said, I just hope that the items taken can be traced and found. 

I have been considering building a shed in the garden to store my layouts and have a modelling bench, as storage is at a premium in our small house. However, this, and previous other incidents (St. Merryn for example) have made me think twice. However, short of using methods which would be frowned upon (at the very least) by the authorities, I guess there is not a lot we can do to stop the most determined of thieves.

Something that does come to mind however, is that, with the recent media exposure of our hobby, are more people now aware quite how much our models are worth? Previously, it's all been, oh it's just toy trains, but now i'm not sure that is that case. I'm very careful about who I tell about what I have at home, especially my neighbours, and whilst it would be great to trust everyone, and would like to think the best of peoples intentions, all it takes is a couple of words here and there for someone, who you wouldn't want to know what you have, to find out.

Again, my sympathies to all those involved with Lime Street Station, it's a wonderful model, and I do hope this doesn't demoralise them (or others) in continuing to make outstanding models. 

Edited by Geep7
  • Agree 7
  • Interesting/Thought-provoking 2
  • Friendly/supportive 3

1 hour ago, Tony Wright said:

Layout testing complete.

Happy to report a pass with flying colours...............

1292426028_DJHBritannia09.jpg.d06b5355ecf4231c88ce453c3d5e79a7.jpg

On over 40 wagons.

1228489013_DJHBritannia10.jpg.537ce5ada21ef9ab0e717d99a9c15f3e.jpg

And 13 carriages (some metal kits in this rake). 

399920854_DJHBritannia11.jpg.25a640aa1feda187ea28de61d1843767.jpg

Incongruous on a Kings Cross-Edinburgh turn? Of course, but I like the notion.

247118085_DJHBritannia70003onexpress.jpg.e41a07a9ab1078e503193aef2cde57a7.jpg

And, equally-incongruous; one of Bytham's other DJH Brits, on a running-in turn from Donny Plant? 

Did Britannia's go through Little Bytham in the 60-61 period? 

1 minute ago, Tony Wright said:

Good morning David,

When the Eastern Region Brits were shopped at Doncaster, there'd be a chance on a running-in turn to Peterborough. I have one shot (can't find in which book at the moment) of a clean Brit entering Grantham from the south on a parcels/empty stock train (so, it must have come through Little Bytham).

On one memorable day, my late brother and I were spotting at Retford (in August 1960) when 70054 DORNOCH FIRTH came through on the Scotch Goods (the day before it had been 60028). It must have been a unique occurrence (it was shedded at 55A), but it's there in my rotting notebook (and in my memory). 

I actually created a model of it..............

132527626_7005401.thumb.jpg.3498f08ded9e62094c0ff820b3798e7a.jpg

When Little Bytham was in its infancy.

70054.jpg.07b93b6f2bfba1c0c4130f336b49283a.jpg

The lamps are pretty naff!

641560046_63937and70054.jpg.2db478460bf97289c3b8ce1e80bcfbcf.jpg

1180706831_HornbyBritannia70054.jpg.1f79def4a6658c5458cced30206ecfb3.jpg

It was originally a Hornby tender-drive ANZAC. I chucked the wretched drive away (or, more probably, gave it away), made a set of Comet loco and tender frames, installed a proper loco drive, detailed it, altered its identity and weathered it. I wrote about it in BRM. 

Since it was such an unusual working (and one should really model the typical rather than the highly-unusual), I sold it to Graham Nicholas for use on Shap (far more appropriate). 

Speaking of Shap............

943552061_Shap22270044onUpexpress.jpg.aff9d497c4a1de93ee1738cc5680778b.jpg

Hornby's current Britannia can be made into a really good model, meaning such conversions are now no longer necessary.

Regards,

Tony. 

Good morning Tony, 

Thank you for such a thorough answer. I've a couple of Brits. I've wondered if I could justify them. Thanks

David

• RMweb Gold

Good Morning :)

I have a quick A4 question for those more knowledgeable than me (so most of you!).

I have bought a set of Fox etched plates for Silver Fox - the description is: 

Gresley A4 Pacifics: Early Mid 1930s LNER Era (Stainless Steel) - Includes etched stainless steel nameplates with a choice of background colour (please select from the colour options), a pair of Doncaster worksplates PLUS pair of stainless steel foxes

The worksplates were missing which fox very quickly sent - however they are brass. Were the builders plates on the Silver A4s brass or Chrome/Stainless? I am referring to the period from when they were built until the beginning of the war.

Thank you :)

2 minutes ago, Bucoops said:

I have a quick A4 question for those more knowledgeable than me (so most of you!).

The worksplates were missing which fox very quickly sent - however they are brass. Were the builders plates on the Silver A4s brass or Chrome/Stainless? I am referring to the period from when they were built until the beginning of the war.

Good morning Rich,

The description 'early Mid 1930s LNER Era' is erroneous - the first A4s were built in 1935. Not only that, the first silver A4 quartet did not carry nameplates in service (they were painted on the centre of the boiler cladding), and it would be 1938 before they had nameplates proper, when repainted into garter blue.

It's probable that the worksplates were plain brass. And, don't forget, in silver, SILVER FOX had stainless steel cladding bands.

Regards,

Tony.  

• Thanks 1
  • Informative/Useful 2

24 minutes ago, Bucoops said:

Worksplates can be seen at 0:49 (2510) 2:52 (2512) and 3:30 (2509), they look silver in colour to me, as they do in the colour picture of 2509 at Grantham:

eec180700f1e0b40b83e85b70aa91baa.jpg 

Also noticed that the whistles and return crank bearings also appear silver.

• Like 6
  • Thanks 1
  • Friendly/supportive 1

Info from RCTS Part 2A ,the series is highly recomended for all LNER Locos.

Black background on all nameplates fixed to A4 Locos other than :-

Light red on

Silver Locos themed  2509-2012 , when repainted into Garter Blue, Worksplates not mentioned but I also believe Silver.  Nameplates in Chrome on these and locos below.

Coronation 4488-4492,  Brass workplates fixed inside Cab Roof

Gresley 4498 and A4's renamed for other directors of the LNER from Jan 1939 . 4469 4499 4500 the last three again Brass worksplates into Cab Roof at that time . It  does'nt mention 4498 re worksplates postion. All four had Stainless Steel edging etc to Loco and Tender the same layout as on the Coronation Locos.

Edited by micklner
  • Thanks 1
  • Informative/Useful 2

• RMweb Gold
2 hours ago, Tony Wright said:

Good morning Rich,

The description 'early Mid 1930s LNER Era' is erroneous - the first A4s were built in 1935. Not only that, the first silver A4 quartet did not carry nameplates in service (they were painted on the centre of the boiler cladding), and it would be 1938 before they had nameplates proper, when repainted into garter blue.

It's probable that the worksplates were plain brass. And, don't forget, in silver, SILVER FOX had stainless steel cladding bands.

Regards,

Tony.  

1 hour ago, AdamOrmorod said:

Worksplates can be seen at 0:49 (2510) 2:52 (2512) and 3:30 (2509), they look silver in colour to me, as they do in the colour picture of 2509 at Grantham:

eec180700f1e0b40b83e85b70aa91baa.jpg 

Also noticed that the whistles and return crank bearings also appear silver.

1 hour ago, micklner said:

Info from RCTS Part 2A ,the series is highly recomended for all LNER Locos.

Black background on all nameplates fixed to A4 Locos other than :-

Light red on

Silver Locos themed  2509-2012 , when reapainted into Garter Blue,worksplates not mentioned but I also believe Silver.

Coronation 4488-4492,  Brass workplates fixed inside Cab Roof

Gresley 4498 and A4's renamed for other directors of the LNER from Jan 1939 . 4469 4499 4500 the last three again Brass worksplates into Cab Roof at that time . It  does'nt mention 4498 re worksplates postion. All four had Stainless Steel edging to Loco and Tender at the same time as the Coronation Locos.

Thank you all - I knew I was asking in the right place! Agreed about their age description being inaccurate, and I assume the nameplates are included for modelling later in their life, as you rightly say the names were painted on initially.

I've gone back to Fox with info about they should be silver coloured (be that stainless, or chromed) - hopefully they can supply the correct ones. Otherwise I believe Modelmaster can supply.

Interesting that they lost their silver paintwork when the Silver Jubilee train was presumably still running in Silver? I assume it was so they didn't need to try and supply a specific engine for a specific service - an A4 was an A4 and as long as it had the right tender, good to go. I will have to use some Rule 1 logic as I want my Silver Jubilee (which already never ran on the ex-GE) to have a silver A4 on it.

thank you again :)

• Like 4

• RMweb Gold
On 10/04/2022 at 15:32, Dunsignalling said:

After conspicuously failing to get the partly reassembled Hornby 4MT to turn a wheel three weeks ago, I took it apart again and had another go this morning. 

All went completely swimmingly and the loco is now back in one piece and running better than it ever has!  No idea why it didn't work before and did today, I'm pretty certain I didn't do anything differently!

John 

Just chipping in with a follow-up to this; at the time I mentioned that I'd had trouble with a 4MT developing an apparent split gear after a short period of not being used. This week I decided to strip it down to identify which gear was the culprit, but of the two I could easily inspect, there didn't seem to be a problem. It seemed to roll quite happily on the bench without the motor on, so I put it back together again and it's right as rain. The only thing I noticed was that some of the grease had gone quite hard and gritty (which I cleaned off), but other than that it's a bit of a mystery.

Al

• Like 1
  • Informative/Useful 3
  • Interesting/Thought-provoking 1
  • Round of applause 1
  • Friendly/supportive 1

• RMweb Gold
19 minutes ago, Barry Ten said:

Just chipping in with a follow-up to this; at the time I mentioned that I'd had trouble with a 4MT developing an apparent split gear after a short period of not being used. This week I decided to strip it down to identify which gear was the culprit, but of the two I could easily inspect, there didn't seem to be a problem. It seemed to roll quite happily on the bench without the motor on, so I put it back together again and it's right as rain. The only thing I noticed was that some of the grease had gone quite hard and gritty (which I cleaned off), but other than that it's a bit of a mystery.

Al

There was nothing merely "apparent" about the split in the gear I was dealing with but there was precious little grease involved, of any consistency!

Hornby policy on using the stuff seems to be the exact opposite of Bachmann's....

John

Edited by Dunsignalling
  • Informative/Useful 1

• RMweb Gold
2 hours ago, Barry Ten said:

Al

A win is a win :)

• Like 2
  • Agree 1

• RMweb Premium

This is my one and only Brit, 70036, Boadicea- because it had to be one of the Immingham ones and I liked the name! It’s pretty standard Hornby with my weathering.

9EDFB46A-A7E5-4573-8763-F04F58C0874F.jpeg.cfcb5195649593c8360d2bd9e055acea.jpegDavid, it depends where on the ECML you’re thinking of. They’d have been rare at LB, but they were regular on the Grimsby/ Cleethorpes - Kings Cross services for a year or two in the early sixties (which is my excuse) and I believe also did the Grimsby - London fish trains. So south of  Peterborough for a couple of years there were plenty.

Andy

• Like 10
  • Agree 1

5 hours ago, Barry Ten said:

Al

That's not that unusual. I've had the grease solidify on several Hornby locos and had to clean it all out and regrease with something different. Its happened twice on one loco - my 4498 so maybe I didn't clean enough out the first time? You can usually tell if this has become a problem when one or more driving wheel axles don't slide sideways easily.

Andrew

• Informative/Useful 5

• RMweb Premium
9 hours ago, Woodcock29 said:

That's not that unusual. I've had the grease solidify on several Hornby locos and had to clean it all out and regrease with something different. Its happened twice on one loco - my 4498 so maybe I didn't clean enough out the first time? You can usually tell if this has become a problem when one or more driving wheel axles don't slide sideways easily.

Andrew

I've found that too with several locos.  On Bachmann locos with a sprung axle, it often stops the sprung plunger going up and down resulting in poor current pickup.  What do you use to clean the grease out with?  I've been using white spirit because I've got it to hand, on old paintbrushes then cotton buds and tissues to wipe it out with, but wonder whether there's a better way.

• Like 2

Perhaps if some money had been spent on the approaches to Liverpool St and/or earlier electrification through to Norwich and Harwich then a new 2 cylinder pacific would not have been needed?

• Agree 1