Please use M,M&M only for topics that do not fit within other forum areas. All topics posted here await admin team approval to ensure they don't belong elsewhere.

Wright writes.....

Why do I never take my own advice? 

Readers of this thread might recall some little time ago that I was given a pre-built Nu-Cast V2 by Jesse Sim from Australia. It was in the most-hideous shade of green! The deal was I could have the V2 in exchange for my rebuilding a Nu-Cast D2 he'd bought (I think) off eBay. When it arrived in Oz, it looked like this.........

1033499154_D202.thumb.jpg.bbd4f1a719ba4df0e6828681b3db3afb.jpg

510607301_D203.thumb.jpg.671ead8d8c619021cc1e557b96f63c84.jpg

If ever there's an object lesson in why NOT to glue metal locomotive kits together, this is it. (No, I don't know what the green blocks are for). 

The chassis was something else! 

1301417644_D201.thumb.jpg.be471ddf5b390ddbdaaef4ce9a415ef7.jpg

The holes for the bearings were enormous; so much so that a standard one eighth bearing just fell right through! It can never have run. Luckily, I had some one eighth bearings with huge rims, so, by setting them up with jig axles and applying as much hope as solder, they're now accurately in place and the drivers run true. 

I'll get the chassis running, then rebuild the wreck (it's actually rather nicely painted). Why do so many loco builders use such rubbish practices in their making of kits? 

Now, why do I never take my own advice? Because, if I had, I could have achieved what's below far more easily.....

1920436131_JesseSimV204.jpg.e5a9f0a9c45fd4f7e8fa9de3dab5f473.jpg

Unable to live with (nor want) a bilious green V2, I detailed the 'gift' and repainted it in BR lined black. You can see it's on its original white metal lump of a chassis.

207516246_V26087601.jpg.d1f1ec8bb487d119b24c4f90f0439653.jpg

Still on its original chassis, Geoff Haynes then weathered it for me, lining the valances beforehand. 

I couldn't really accept that chassis (even though it ran quite well)..............

1544136533_Nu-CastV260876weathered.jpg.2974064964394ed545a596fd95825e43.jpg

So, I put a set of Comet frames underneath it (selling the original chassis to a friend). 

How could it have been easier? By my building an untouched Nu-cast V2 in the first place, putting it on Comet frames.

Note to self; don't touch any future 'deals' such as this ever again!  

Edited by Tony Wright
to add something
  • Like 8
  • Friendly/supportive 11

5 minutes ago, Tony Wright said:

Why do I never take my own advice? 

Readers of this thread might recall some little time ago that I was given a pre-built Nu-Cast V2 by Jesse Sim from Australia. It was in the most-hideous shade of green! The deal was I could have the V2 in exchange for my rebuilding a Nu-Cast D2 he'd bought (I think) off eBay. When it arrived in Oz, it looked like this.........

1033499154_D202.thumb.jpg.bbd4f1a719ba4df0e6828681b3db3afb.jpg

510607301_D203.thumb.jpg.671ead8d8c619021cc1e557b96f63c84.jpg

If ever there's an object lesson in why NOT to glue metal locomotive kits together, this is it. (No, I don't know what the green blocks are for). 

The chassis was something else! 

1301417644_D201.thumb.jpg.be471ddf5b390ddbdaaef4ce9a415ef7.jpg

The holes for the bearings were enormous; so much so that a standard one eighth just fell through! It can never have run. Luckily, I had some one eighth bearings with huge rims, so, by setting them up with jig axles and applying as much hope as solder, they're now accurately in place and the drivers run true. 

I'll get the chassis running, then rebuild the wreck (it's actually rather nicely painted). Why do so many loco builders use such rubbish practices in their making of kits? 

Now, why do I never take my own advice? Because, if I had, I could have achieved what's below far more easily.....

1920436131_JesseSimV204.jpg.e5a9f0a9c45fd4f7e8fa9de3dab5f473.jpg

Unable to live with (nor want) a bilious green V2, I detailed the 'gift' and repainted it in BR lined black. You can see it's on its original white metal lump of a chassis.

207516246_V26087601.jpg.d1f1ec8bb487d119b24c4f90f0439653.jpg

Still on its original chassis, Geoff Haynes then weathered it for me, lining the valances beforehand. 

I couldn't really accept that chassis (even though it ran quite well)..............

1544136533_Nu-CastV260876weathered.jpg.2974064964394ed545a596fd95825e43.jpg

So, I put a set of Comet frames underneath it (selling the original chassis to a friend). 

How could it have been easier? By my building an untouched Nu-cast V2 in the first place, putting it on Comet frames.

Note to self; don't touch any future 'deals' such as this ever again!  

I wish you wouldn't keep showing me pictures of V2s. 

Second to an A3 with GNR tender they are a really elegant design.

Edited by davidw
  • Like 4
  • Agree 2

• RMweb Gold
1 hour ago, drmditch said:

Perhaps if some money had been spent on the approaches to Liverpool St and/or earlier electrification through to Norwich and Harwich then a new 2 cylinder pacific would not have been needed?

Strictly speaking, a 3-cylinder Pacific of similar capacity to the Britannia should be (and the Rebuilt WC is) less bulky than an equivalent 2-cylinder loco, i.e. the outside ones will usually be smaller.

The issue on the LNER/Eastern region was that all their Pacifics were built to the maximum dimensions that the ECML could accommodate. Presumably the V2 was also too large for the ex-GE lines  or the service improvements wrought under BR could have been achieved earlier. 

The main reason the BR 7MT Pacifics were built with two was to make maintenance easier.

John 

Edited by Dunsignalling
  • Agree 1

• RMweb Premium
3 hours ago, 31A said:

I've found that too with several locos.  On Bachmann locos with a sprung axle, it often stops the sprung plunger going up and down resulting in poor current pickup.  What do you use to clean the grease out with?  I've been using white spirit because I've got it to hand, on old paintbrushes then cotton buds and tissues to wipe it out with, but wonder whether there's a better way.

I use GT85 to wash grease out of mechanisms, it has no effect on plastic materials.

• Agree 1
  • Thanks 1
  • Informative/Useful 9

2 hours ago, davidw said:

I wish you wouldn't keep showing me pictures of V2s. 

Second to an A3 with GNR tender they are a really elegant design.

I have lots more of V2 pictures, David.

Regarding (real) V2s, I spoke with an old fireman from New England at the Stamford Show recently. New England had loads of V2s, and he didn't particularly like them. 'Heavy on coal at times and shy of steam on occasions' (not those latterly fitted with Kylchap double pots). I asked him about the Thompson Pacifics he'd have fired from time to time. 'Also heavy on coal, but never shy of steam (even if loads of it came out at the front), but they were dreadful riders. Shook me to pieces at times!'. Ironically, his best experiences were towards the end of New England's life, when a few ex-34A Gresley Pacifics were transferred there after Top Shed closed. 'The best riding engines we ever had, even if they were a bit run down'. 

Interesting? 

• Like 3
  • Informative/Useful 1
  • Interesting/Thought-provoking 1

2 hours ago, Tony Wright said:

I have lots more of V2 pictures, David.

Regarding (real) V2s, I spoke with an old fireman from New England at the Stamford Show recently. New England had loads of V2s, and he didn't particularly like them. 'Heavy on coal at times and shy of steam on occasions' (not those latterly fitted with Kylchap double pots). I asked him about the Thompson Pacifics he'd have fired from time to time. 'Also heavy on coal, but never shy of steam (even if loads of it came out at the front), but they were dreadful riders. Shook me to pieces at times!'. Ironically, his best experiences were towards the end of New England's life, when a few ex-34A Gresley Pacifics were transferred there after Top Shed closed. 'The best riding engines we ever had, even if they were a bit run down'. 

Interesting? 

Fascinating story... Thank you for sharing it. 

• Agree 1

Having now received the latest book on Edward Thompson, I've read through it and come to some conclusions (I won't be reviewing it for BRM because the publisher has not been happy with some of my comments in the past, even though they've been true). 

What might one conclude?

That almost every other work on ET in the past is wrong - in some cases, totally wrong! In fact, some might even be accused of having told outright lies. 

That the author uses first-hand, empirical evidence, but seems reluctant to include any anecdotal evidence (there was a near-revolt in Scotland when the P2s were rebuilt). 

That Thompson's locos (especially the big ones) were nowhere near as bad as has been reported in the past, and, in some cases achieved highly-creditable mileages (though were frequently-shopped).

That, not before time, the author 'sets the record straight'.  

That the work, at least in part, is spoiled by poor grammar/punctuation - examples include sat instead of sitting (goodness me, this is now endemic!) and forgot instead of forgotten. Commas and apostrophes are jumbled in gay abandon at times as well! And, when will current authors learn that the seasons are not proper nouns, and thus don't qualify for a capital? 

That not all the facts stated are correct - no A4 was withdrawn before GREAT NORTHERN and most of the A3s were not withdrawn before the A1/1. 

That the author has written a most-interesting book, which is beautifully printed and produced, and should become an essential work on any enthusiast's library shelves. 

That it'll be useful to model-makers everywhere, even if 60505's cab is cut-back because it has a Thompson boiler, not a Peppercorn one.

That ET should receive much more praise for his work (in the most-difficult of conditions) than has been given in the past (history has not been kind to the unfortunate LNER's middle CME). 

That it's very good value for money.

Any other conclusions?  

Edited by Tony Wright
to add something
  • Like 5
  • Informative/Useful 4
  • Interesting/Thought-provoking 2

On Sunday, along with friends, I'll be dismantling the remains of the late Michael Warner's layout of Moreton in Marsh. 

No stock remains, but there are several beautiful buildings/structures, made by the likes of Bob Dawson and Paul Bason. It's the intention to remove these as carefully as possible and then offer them for sale (though site-specific, many are typical GWR structures). 

There'll also be yards and yards of Peco Code 75 trackwork and pointwork, all to be lifted with care and then offered for sale.

With luck, complete scenic sections might be saved, though such is the construction (no individual boards) that it might be a vain hope. It's also 'built into the loft', with no future thought for dismantling (a BIG saw might be called for!). 

There'll also be plenty of control equipment.

I'll let readers know next week what there is for sale. 

• Friendly/supportive 9

• RMweb Gold
27 minutes ago, Tony Wright said:

Having now received the latest book on Edward Thompson, I've read through it and come to some conclusions (I won't be reviewing it for BRM because the publisher has not been happy with some of my comments in the past, even though they've been true). 

Hello Tony - do you mean the publisher of the book under review, or the publisher of BRM? Thought it migjht be worth clarifying.

best,

Al

• Funny 1

• RMweb Gold

As well as pondering over the Silver Jubilee A4 details, I have been very slowly (even slower than normal for me!) tinkering with the D&S Coronation set that @ArthurK kindly sold to me (I have the MARC Models Silver Jubilee kit, but not touching that yet).

I tried a couple of times to roll a roof to replace the formed plasticard in the kit with no luck. I had already offered MJT extrusions but they were no good. Then I discovered that the Comet profile is a perfect fit.

Initially I tried to make one end slide out with a false floor but I couldn't find a way of getting it to work without issues with glazing, so finding a rigid roof is a bonus as I can make that removable - with the fairings under the solebar a removable floor is a non-starter.

20220608_153844.thumb.jpg.212858ee0a53bfd7d136e2a2ce82abe2.jpg

Annoyingly, one of the first things I did was to get the bogies built up. I foolishly didn't check and they should all be heavy duty variants. The sides in the kid are standard ones, apart from the 10ft ones. So I will be removing the incorrect ones at some point and replace them with MJT heavy duty ones.

Edited by Bucoops
  • Like 14

2 hours ago, Barry Ten said:

Hello Tony - do you mean the publisher of the book under review, or the publisher of BRM? Thought it migjht be worth clarifying.

best,

Al

The book's publisher, Al.

Where there are errors regarding matters of fact in a book's captions, I think any reviewer should point these out. For instance, the same publisher took exception to my pointing out in one volume that what was described as 'Birkenhead shed' was actually Chester 6A or Wrexham ex-GWR shed. These are not matters of opinion, but he-ho, there you go. Hence my no longer reviewing any of such books. 

Regards,

Tony. 

• Friendly/supportive 5

2 hours ago, Tony Wright said:

What might one conclude?

That almost every other work on ET in the past is wrong - in some cases, totally wrong! In fact, some might even be accused of having told outright lies. 

That the author uses first-hand, empirical evidence, but seems reluctant to include any anecdotal evidence (there was a near-revolt in Scotland when the P2s were rebuilt). 

That Thompson's locos (especially the big ones) were nowhere near as bad as has been reported in the past, and, in some cases achieved highly-creditable mileages (though were frequently-shopped).

That, not before time, the author 'sets the record straight'.  

That the work, at least in part, is spoiled by poor grammar/punctuation - examples include sat instead of sitting (goodness me, this is now endemic!) and forgot instead of forgotten. Commas and apostrophes are jumbled in gay abandon at times as well! And, when will current authors learn that the seasons are not proper nouns, and thus don't qualify for a capital? 

That not all the facts stated are correct - no A4 was withdrawn before GREAT NORTHERN and most of the A3s were not withdrawn before the A1/1. 

That the author has written a most-interesting book, which is beautifully printed and produced, and should become an essential work on any enthusiast's library shelves. 

That it'll be useful to model-makers everywhere, even if 60505's cab is cut-back because it has a Thompson boiler, not a Peppercorn one.

That ET should receive much more praise for his work (in the most-difficult of conditions) than has been given in the past (history has not been kind to the unfortunate LNER's middle CME). 

That it's very good value for money.

Any other conclusions?  

Is this the book by SAC Martin? If so, I think this is a good assessment of it. The Tim Hillier-Graves biographies of Gresley, Thompson and Peppercorn were much better in my view.

2 minutes ago, Tony Wright said:

The book's publisher, Al.

Where there are errors regarding matters of fact in a book's captions, I think any reviewer should point these out. For instance, the same publisher took exception to my pointing out in one volume that what was described as 'Birkenhead shed' was actually Chester 6A or Wrexham ex-GWR shed. These are not matters of opinion, but he-ho, there you go. Hence my no longer reviewing any of such books. 

Regards,

Tony. 

If your points are factually correct, then why not post them on here? I rarely read book reviews in any mainstream magazines as I think they are usually unreliable. Think of all the reviews of the Banks/Carter LNER train formations book for example. How many reviewers (a) had read the book and (b) knew enough about the subject to be able to comment? 

4 minutes ago, robertcwp said:

Is this the book by SAC Martin? If so, I think this is a good assessment of it. The Tim Hillier-Graves biographies of Gresley, Thompson and Peppercorn were much better in my view.

It is Robert,

I also agree with your comments on the works of Tim Hillier-Graves as being much better, though Simon's book has some merit. 

It is astounding that it contradicts (almost completely in places) the previous works of Nock, Allen, Harrison, Rogers, Yeadon, Cox, the RCTS and several others.

Regards,

Tony. 

• Like 2

6 minutes ago, robertcwp said:

If your points are factually correct, then why not post them on here? I rarely read book reviews in any mainstream magazines as I think they are usually unreliable. Think of all the reviews of the Banks/Carter LNER train formations book for example. How many reviewers (a) had read the book and (b) knew enough about the subject to be able to comment? 

I wrote them in the BRM book reviews, Robert, but your point is valid.

Regarding the Banks/Carter book, I don't think I have any other volume with more of my scribblings in the margins!

Regards,

Tony. 

• Like 1

12 minutes ago, Tony Wright said:

It is Robert,

I also agree with your comments on the works of Tim Hillier-Graves as being much better, though Simon's book has some merit. 

It is astounding that it contradicts (almost completely in places) the previous works of Nock, Allen, Harrison, Rogers, Yeadon, Cox, the RCTS and several others.

Regards,

Tony. 

In fairness, the Tim Hillier-Graves books were more comprehensive in covering the lives of Gresley, Thompson and Peppercorn whereas the SAC Martin book focused more on Thompson's time as CME so their approaches were a bit different. I suspect that the truth about Thompson and his engines lies somewhere in the middle of all the various views and 'facts' but we shall never really know.

• RMweb Premium
3 hours ago, Tony Wright said:

You can just imagine the publisher's indignation, at one of their books being reviewed by someone with the temerity to have more subject matter knowledge than the author, "Why couldn't they have just employed someone to say how much they liked the pictures?"

• Like 1
  • Funny 9

• RMweb Premium
3 hours ago, Tony Wright said:

(I won't be reviewing it for BRM because the publisher has not been happy with some of my comments in the past, even though they've been true). 

This seems very strange to me. The magazine is at liberty to employ any reviewer the editors see fit; the publisher's views don't come into it. A critical review from an expert in the field is all part of the risk involved in publishing. Or are you suggesting that the editors are so craven as to bow to pressure from the publisher? 

• Agree 7