Please use M,M&M only for topics that do not fit within other forum areas. All topics posted here await admin team approval to ensure they don't belong elsewhere.

Wright writes.....

9 hours ago, cctransuk said:

Clem, Tony,

It is true that I have, exceptionally, produced bespoke transfers for personal friends, but I have always made it clear that this is not a service that I can make generally available. For the avoidance of doubt, I repeat this fact here.

Though I am retired, I still manage to produce my standard list of transfers as listed on the Cambridge Custom Transfers website, but I do like to do my own modelling as well.

Precision Labels and Railtec offer a bespoke service - I would direct prospective clients to those companies.

I would ask those whom I have assisted in the past NOT to suggest, especially on a public forum, that I am able to do the same for one and all.

John Isherwood.

Thanks for that clarification John,

My apologies for not remembering your position.

Best regards,

Tony. 

• Like 5

23 hours ago, Tony Wright said:

Thanks Jason,

I thought it pre-dated the Dapol RTR version, and Paul Bromige usually scratch-built his own frames. 

Regards,

Tony. 

I attach, for the sake of comparison, a picture of my own motorised Airfix kit, which has a Bristol Models brass chassis. I think the body appears noticeably less sharply moulded than the example you have, and there are some very small differences in rivets etc. The chassis of course, could be anything - the High Level is distinguishable by having the motor within the tank, on a detachable section of the gearbox. Whatever its origins though, it's a nice loco - good to see some proper ones (i.e. LMS !) on this thread...

DSC_0062.JPG.1b26f3bcdf084215713de737ab038bcf.JPG

• Like 14
  • Craftsmanship/clever 1

1 hour ago, Edmund Kinder said:

Lovely work there Clem.  I've also very nearly finished a Connoisseur Models 4mm BR Brake Van that I purchased nearly two decades ago.  It all went together very well, and I had to exercise extreme care not to put too much solder on the iron tip when soldering on the strapping and other fine detail.  There was an interesting article on building the kit by Steve Banks in BRM February 2002, and I also fashioned and put in plasticard inlays for the ends as he'd done.

Regards

Edmund

IMG_20220527_071608375.jpg

That looks stunning Edmund. I must say that it absolutely looks the part. I really like his kits and it's such a shame he's stopped producing the 4mm ones. Understandable that he wanted to concentrate on his 7mm business,  but our loss.

• Agree 4

18 minutes ago, Tony Wright said:

It's strange how odd things provide motivation at times.........

I tested positive for Covid on Thursday! Not a problem; it's no more that a light cold. However, self-isolation beckons.

I had plans for this weekend, including a photo shoot, but they've all been shelved.

So, what to do?

I've put the Brit I'm building to one side for the time being, opened the box for a GWR Armstrong to build and looked at a Nu-Cast V2 kit I was asked to sell for a friend. Well, I've bought it (or decided to this morning), got out the iron, took it beyond looking at and Bob's your uncle..........

1675291598_Nu-CastV201.jpg.32a6c345ac3790a2088dd69a5ed28154.jpg

The traditional white metal lump for a chassis was not present (good!), and the usual Comet frames were substituted. 

The footplate was assembled to check the fit. Having built at least five other Nu-Cast V2s on top of Comet frames, the necessary modifications to the chassis were easily attended to. 

1852698331_Nu-CastV202.jpg.bb927726d46a4f6d7980e087317585ed.jpg

Part of those alterations can be seen here,

The rear pony wheelset is smaller than 'scale' because of experiences in the past with limited clearances beneath the cab .

My usual choice of large DJH motor/gearbox was made, giving instant, smooth, quiet and powerful running. 

1496732381_Nu-CastV203.jpg.76efa4237b69c578a4b052cecbf98b24.jpg

My standard .45mm nickel silver wiper pick-ups were employed - both sides, for the driving wheels I had in stock were all insulated.

2053598199_Nu-CastV204.jpg.ad648cfdb5b1f1a6a8c1036731d63492.jpg

Progress so far. Not bad for a day's work?

However, next day's work might be a bit harder...........

1378102010_Nu-CastV205.jpg.0862ea832172441087df7c3e288a44a3.jpg

The smokebox/boiler/firebox castings are heavily-contaminated with flash. Were Nu-Cast still going (not Nu-Cast Partners, who don't do a V2) I'd request replacements, but that isn't an option. 

It's also the first Nu-Cast V2 I've built where the smokebox is separate from the boiler (after the A2/1 was introduced?). 

Further progress reports tomorrow, after I've 'attacked' that flash. 

COVID: Get well wishes from Ruth and I in Cardiff.

• Agree 2
  • Thanks 1

49 minutes ago, davidw said:

COVID: Get well wishes from Ruth and I in Cardiff.

Thanks David and Ruth,

I'm actually quite well; just a slightly sore throat and a sniffy nose - something I must have had scores of time in my life. 

It's just annoying that I won't be able to photograph a layout in Hessle tomorrow as planned.

Mo has tested negative.

Regards,

Tony. 

• Like 1
  • Friendly/supportive 12

34 minutes ago, sandra said:

Hello Tony,

Sorry to hear you’ve got Covid, I hope you make a quick recovery.

Tony Gee came along to visit Retford today and he brought along a surprise locomotive for a visit.5797DCFC-8D97-4EAB-B112-DFDC5260B04C.jpeg.df29916d215fbda564438f69e20c8eaa.jpegThis is a P1 2-8-2 which we placed on the longest freight train on Retford which has nearly fifty wagons. It managed the train with absolutely no difficulty. The locomotive was scratch built by the late Malcolm Crawley.BCF9F813-DF02-4ACB-A79B-65DF66667067.jpeg.b576264de6f69d9d53ea53c9c568491a.jpegIt ran beautifully and smoothly down to a scale walking pace. Of course it’s out of period for Retford as the originals were withdrawn in July 1945 and Retford is set in the summer of 1957.

The only criticism I can make of it is that it is too clean, particularly the motion and I think it needs some heavy weathering. Nevertheless it’s nice to see an example of scratch building particularly of a prototype which I would suggest is never likely to be produced as an RTR model as there were only two of them, non are preserved and they were withdrawn before the BR era.

Its always pleasant to have visiting locos on Retford particularly of this quality.

Sandra

What a superb model.

Thanks for showing us, Sandra, and thanks to Tony for bringing it to Retford. 

If it stays for a while, I'd love to take its picture at some time.

Regards,

Tony. 

• Like 2

• RMweb Premium

Get well soon, sounds like it acts more like hay fever now.

A few months ago over half the houses near me had someone with it, but so far we have avoided it despite near contact.

Among us and our children we have had all 3 as well, but I have had 3 Biontechs, and none of the others, Wife Oxford and Moderna.

My daughters boyfriend causght it, she didn't it works like that.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

• RMweb Gold

Sorry to hear you have caught the dreaded 'vid,, but pleased you only have mild symptoms though. I am probably jinxing things but I have no idea how we haven't caught it yet - my wife works on multiple wards, and has been in close contact with quite a few positive patients, and at one point last year, 18 out of 29 children and the teacher were off with it yet our daughter was in every day and still didn't catch it!

I hope you shrug it off quickly so you can get back on track (sorry!).

• Like 2
  • Agree 3
  • Thanks 1

• RMweb Premium
3 hours ago, sandra said:

Hello Tony,

Tony Gee came along to visit Retford today and he brought along a surprise locomotive for a visit.5797DCFC-8D97-4EAB-B112-DFDC5260B04C.jpeg.df29916d215fbda564438f69e20c8eaa.jpegThis is a P1 2-8-2 which we placed on the longest freight train on Retford which has nearly fifty wagons. It managed the train with absolutely no difficulty. The locomotive was scratch built by the late Malcolm Crawley.BCF9F813-DF02-4ACB-A79B-65DF66667067.jpeg.b576264de6f69d9d53ea53c9c568491a.jpegIt ran beautifully and smoothly down to a scale walking pace. Of course it’s out of period for Retford as the originals were withdrawn in July 1945 and Retford is set in the summer of 1957.

The only criticism I can make of it is that it is too clean, particularly the motion and I think it needs some heavy weathering. Nevertheless it’s nice to see an example of scratch building particularly of a prototype which I would suggest is never likely to be produced as an RTR model as there were only two of them, non are preserved and they were withdrawn before the BR era.

Its always pleasant to have visiting locos on Retford particularly of this quality.

Sandra

2 hours ago, Tony Wright said:

What a superb model.

Thanks for showing us, Sandra, and thanks to Tony for bringing it to Retford. 

If it stays for a while, I'd love to take its picture at some time.

Regards,

Tony. 

I always thought it was one of Malcolm's best models and I am ever so happy to have it now. It is fully sprung and has a working crank axle and inside motion for the third cylinder. It also has friction fit drivers and a High Level gearbox mounted on the rear axle with the motor vertical in the firebox, so it is totally invisible and leaves the big space under the boiler clear.

I will happily bring it over again to have it photographed by Tony.

My mind has been running over the reasons why it is only very lightly weathered and thinking about it, I seem to recall that as Malcolm's modelling period was 1937 and that was when the booster was removed, he may have produced it in that condition just after it came out of the works. He usually based his weathering on a photo, so he probably had one of it in that condition. Many of his locos were weathered, some very heavily but he liked having a variety of finishes rather than just making every freight loco very dirty.

Whatever the reason, I may tone down the valve gear but I won't be doing any additional weathering to the bodywork.

It is lovely being able to run it on a layout like Retford, where it can really show off what it can do in a suitable setting (although a bit too far North of their usual haunts) so thanks, Sandra, for the opportunity. 

• Like 11
  • Thanks 1

4 hours ago, Tony Wright said:

It's strange how odd things provide motivation at times.........

I tested positive for Covid on Thursday! Not a problem; it's no more that a light cold. However, self-isolation beckons.

I had plans for this weekend, including a photo shoot, but they've all been shelved.

So, what to do?

I've put the Brit I'm building to one side for the time being, opened the box for a GWR Armstrong to build and looked at a Nu-Cast V2 kit I was asked to sell for a friend. Well, I've bought it (or decided to this morning), got out the iron, took it beyond looking at and Bob's your uncle..........

1675291598_Nu-CastV201.jpg.32a6c345ac3790a2088dd69a5ed28154.jpg

The traditional white metal lump for a chassis was not present (good!), and the usual Comet frames were substituted. 

The footplate was assembled to check the fit. Having built at least five other Nu-Cast V2s on top of Comet frames, the necessary modifications to the chassis were easily attended to. 

1852698331_Nu-CastV202.jpg.bb927726d46a4f6d7980e087317585ed.jpg

Part of those alterations can be seen here,

The rear pony wheelset is smaller than 'scale' because of experiences in the past with limited clearances beneath the cab .

My usual choice of large DJH motor/gearbox was made, giving instant, smooth, quiet and powerful running. 

1496732381_Nu-CastV203.jpg.76efa4237b69c578a4b052cecbf98b24.jpg

My standard .45mm nickel silver wiper pick-ups were employed - both sides, for the driving wheels I had in stock were all insulated.

2053598199_Nu-CastV204.jpg.ad648cfdb5b1f1a6a8c1036731d63492.jpg

Progress so far. Not bad for a day's work?

However, next day's work might be a bit harder...........

1378102010_Nu-CastV205.jpg.0862ea832172441087df7c3e288a44a3.jpg

The smokebox/boiler/firebox castings are heavily-contaminated with flash. Were Nu-Cast still going (not Nu-Cast Partners, who don't do a V2) I'd request replacements, but that isn't an option. 

It's also the first Nu-Cast V2 I've built where the smokebox is separate from the boiler (after the A2/1 was introduced?). 

Further progress reports tomorrow, after I've 'attacked' that flash. 

We must be channeling each other across the world Tony. 

My symptoms have been very mild, hoping yours are as well. Talk soon. 

• Thanks 1
  • Friendly/supportive 8

Sorry to hear you've got Covid Tony. Hopefully your symptoms remain mild and Mo stays clear of it!

I caught it from my 4 year old granddaughter who was visiting from Qld back in Feb. We had 6 in the house at the time and somehow our daughter managed to stay clear of it despite no internal isolation between us all. My wife was most affected with a raging sore throat for nearly 3 weeks. My symptoms were very mild - a slightly elevated temp for a day and felt a bit lethargic for a couple of days.

Andrew

• Like 1
  • Friendly/supportive 7

Get well soon Tony. Thankfully your symptoms sound pretty mild and with a bit of luck won't get worse. Hopefully Mo will miss out on it.

We haven't had it yet. I've had 3 vacs and Chris has had 4 so I'm hoping we are pretty well protected. But you can never be sure with this virus. 

• Agree 2

14 hours ago, sandra said:

Hello Tony,

Sandra

That looks very impressive. 

• Like 1
  • Agree 2

Sorry to hear you have the dreaded Covid. Two of us got gifted it at Stamford and promptly passed it to our respective wives!  Two weeks later we are all coming out of the symptoms together but energy to do much is sadly lacking.

I do hope Mo does some fancy footwork and misses its embrace, maybe a bell to ring when you are approaching?!

Get well soon and best regards Mick

• Thanks 1
  • Friendly/supportive 5

• RMweb Premium

Tony,

It might be worth giving Dave at Nu-cast partners a ring. He'll possibly be able to look at the moulds he has and see if they will produce a better casting for you. I've had a few HR loco bits (and full kits) from him and even from the worn moulds, the castings haven't been too bad.

Just be careful, as you'll find yourself ordering more kits from him!

Andy G

• Like 3
  • Informative/Useful 2

12 hours ago, Tony Wright said:

Thanks for all the wishes of goodwill.

I'm actually feeling 'normal' now (though 'normal' is questionable in my case!). Normal enough to carry on model-making..........

404605234_Nu-CastV206.jpg.c6cf52a26ecce196c2b35320006f94db.jpg

Not so much achieved today as I'd hoped (cleaning up those grotty castings took a lot of time). 

Still just 'detailing' left now. 

I suppose the question might be asked - why take so much time building (yet another) Nu-Cast V2? A friend has succumbed to temptation and bought a latest Bachmann RTR one for just £150.00 (a marvellous price). 

In a way, it's a 'no-brainer', especially with regard to price. I'm buying the kit for £50.00, a complete set of 'boots' must come out towards £60.00, then around £80.00 for the drive. Add on sundries (handrail pillars, couplings, etc) and the price breaks through £200.00 (yes, less than a Bachmann V2 RRP, but who pays that full amount?).  

Despite the costs involved, I still like building locos which become 'mine' in a unique way (a personal choice). All one needs is money to acquire an RTR loco.

Good to see that COVID is not getting in the way of the modelling. Hope you recover soon and that Mo remains COVID-free.

• Like 3
  • Agree 6
  • Thanks 1