Please use M,M&M only for topics that do not fit within other forum areas. All topics posted here await admin team approval to ensure they don't belong elsewhere.

Wright writes.....

2 hours ago, Barry Ten said:

That looks very nicely done, and I've always liked that regional livery.

As a comparison,here's my not quite finished Ratio version in the same livery.My blue goes higher than yours,was there any hard and fast ruling to this?

IMG_20240320_134929.jpg

• Like 16

Hi Jamieb, looks like you mixed the same colour as me and yes I think the blue is a bit high, looking at various photos the blue comes upto and including the plank adjacent to the window sills and the middle of the door but I suppose the painters could interpret the spec as they go.

Cheers,

Dave F.

• Like 1

• RMweb Gold
4 hours ago, cctransuk said:

There was a time - not so bad nowadays - that, if you walked into a pub in, say, Blaenau Ffestiniog, the conversation instantly changed from English to Welsh.

But that was in the time of 'Come home to a living fire - buy a cottage in Wales'! 😀

CJI.

A pal and I were camping in the area and, after being disappointed with a couple of "grockle pubs" the first night, we tried the public bar round the back of a hotel in search of some local authenticity the next. 

The same thing happened to us, but we got chatting with a couple of regulars, ended up playing a few games of dominos and were made very welcome for the rest of the week.

John

• Like 7

We Wiganers are quite friendly. We teach visitors how to communicate at Wigan North Western before you get out of the station !!

Avanti_West_Coast_Wigan_Mural_3-750x500.

Brit15

• Like 8
  • Funny 2

2 hours ago, davefrk said:

Hi Jamieb, looks like you mixed the same colour as me and yes I think the blue is a bit high, looking at various photos the blue comes upto and including the plank adjacent to the window sills and the middle of the door but I suppose the painters could interpret the spec as they go.

Cheers,

Dave F.

Hi Dave

I used Humbrol 89 (from memory) but I've seen quite a variation in old photos.I do however think that the buildings at Grosmont on the NYMR are a bit off

My paint scheme was based on pictures of Snaith West and Bolton Abbey, however Embsay Junction is more in keeping with your scheme

As you say, it was likely down to interpretation from the painters ,not to mention the height of the box 

• Like 1
  • Agree 1

22 hours ago, Tony Wright said:

Good evening Jesse,

Let me think about it, please.

I've thought about it (for a millisecond), so undone! 

Seriously, despite at least three B1 tenders arriving in the next few days, I've persevered today with the one where the original lining 'reacted' to the paint.

And...........

Pro-ScaleB121completepainted.jpg.b18201596b0495fdf2cd503dc6ecfeda.jpg

Amazingly, with a further rub-down and repaint, I've now lined/lettered/numbered the whole loco and tender today and I think I've got away with it. 

Tony,

I hate to say this, but now that I've seen it, I can't un-see it, and not point it out....have you not inverted the cab and tender lining on this model - i.e. the grey should be on the outside edges of the red? Unless there is an odd case of this in prototype?

Sorry - don't hate me for pointing it out, but I suspect you'd want to know as constructive comment.

Best,

Alan

• Agree 5
  • Thanks 1

• RMweb Premium
1 hour ago, Dr Al said:

Tony,

I hate to say this, but now that I've seen it, I can't un-see it, and not point it out....have you not inverted the cab and tender lining on this model - i.e. the grey should be on the outside edges of the red? Unless there is an odd case of this in prototype?

Sorry - don't hate me for pointing it out, but I suspect you'd want to know as constructive comment.

Best,

Alan

Doh - don't you just hate it when that happens? 😡

..... and, no - I hadn't noticed that, either.

CJI.

• Agree 4

• RMweb Premium
10 hours ago, gr.king said:

If the annoyance with modern sports commentary extends to Rugby Union, and your only fluent language is English, try watching the "Clwb Rygbi" on S4C. You won't understand any more than the very occasional word of the commentary...

Something major has changed in rugby which becomes obvious comparing commentators from the 1970s/80s with the present day.  Listen to Cliff Morgan (especially of "That Try") with the modern game; it's now like listening to a studio full of Management Consultants.

• Like 1
  • Agree 1
  • Funny 1

23 hours ago, Tony Wright said:

Good evening Jesse,

Let me think about it, please.

I've thought about it (for a millisecond), so undone! 

Seriously, despite at least three B1 tenders arriving in the next few days, I've persevered today with the one where the original lining 'reacted' to the paint.

And...........

Pro-ScaleB121completepainted.jpg.b18201596b0495fdf2cd503dc6ecfeda.jpg

Amazingly, with a further rub-down and repaint, I've now lined/lettered/numbered the whole loco and tender today and I think I've got away with it. 

I've tried lining with a bow pen, but all I do is cock-up, so it's down to transfer lining (in this case some old KEMCO BR mixed traffic lining, which went on fine - unlike a more-recent product which was hopelessly misaligned). 

Now no professional painter would use transfer lining (except for transfer paper they paint themselves, for the likes of boiler bands). The transfer lining is far too coarse and doesn't have the thin cream line.

However,

Nu-CastV260948paintedweathered04.jpg.9b0fd0daac0a4a5833ca4ac985f5f3ce.jpg

I built this V2, and painted/lined it in exactly the same way as the B1, but sable-applied enamel dry-brush weathering has toned it right down. 

Thus............

Nu-CastV260948paintedweathered07.jpg.bd348ee74c73f912e499ff46531f91c1.jpg

Nu-CastV260948paintedweathered08.jpg.e14b67596908f8fb7297d288b573b9f6.jpg

On a layout, in action, I think my artisan, non-professional finish is adequate. 

Anyway, it's done in the spirit of self-reliance, something I regularly advocate (though not always with personal success). In fact, showing my hypocrisy, I'll hand the B1 over to Geoff Haynes to weather (I'm in credit).

He weathered this other V2 I painted after mechanically rebuilding it...............

Nu-CastV260876weathered.jpg.553d1a3c84875814f48b47032b352424.jpg

Which, if you recall, came from you - in hideous green! Geoff lined the valance prior to weathering it.

V26087602.jpg.48dad38590d678a32d19db215420e260.jpg

Again, as a 'layout loco', I think my basic painting is adequate.

For all those who are sending B1 tenders, thanks again, and fear not. They'll all be put to good use.

Regards,

Tony. 

I think paint reacting is one of the most annoying things that can happen when building/painting a model. I’ve had it happen a couple of times and it normally only happens when the model you’re working on is near finished.

• Agree 6

• RMweb Gold

There is a lot to dislike about modern rugby but I do like the 50-22 rule. I wish it had been around when I played.

Regards Lez.

• Like 2
  • Agree 1

One for the Ozzies.

The other week sat in the living room with my laptop (as now), wife flicking through the chanels on TV, up came a live rugby league match, Wigan V Penrith, who the hell is Penrith I said?, they don't play RL (Thinking Penrith up north in Cumberland). Then it dawned it was the World Cup challenge match !!! Dooooohh - dozy me. Yes Wigan won.

Of course years ago I would have been there cheering Wigan on - after all I went to Wembley 8 consecutive years 1998 - 95, and saw Wigan win 8 times on the trot (and then loose against Sheffield just after !!!). We always used the special trains, Wigan NW to Wembley Central, often two or more trains ran, always full, never an ounce of trouble, very happy days.

Somehow I have lost interest over the last years, the demise of Central Park (named after The Great Central Railway who sold the land to the club after the planned extension north from Wigan Central was dropped), the soul less new stadium, mates gone over the years etc.

I must "try" harder !!!

Brit15

Edited by APOLLO
  • Friendly/supportive 3

2 hours ago, cctransuk said:

Doh - don't you just hate it when that happens? 😡

..... and, no - I hadn't noticed that, either.

CJI.

I agree John,

However, I'd have hated it more had by dozy error not been pointed out, especially if the loco were then weathered before I'd put it right.

Regards,

Tony. 

• Like 3
  • Agree 3

• RMweb Premium

If you want to listen to interesting cricket discussions.. go to India. When you get a discussion in Urdu, punjabi and English (all fielding positions and the odd swear word) makes for an interesting way of summing up a cricket incident!

Local cricket around Yorkshire includes the odd word notbin English.. but everyone understands what they mean ie "Shabbash! Shabbash!".. get on with it!

Baz

• Like 3
  • Informative/Useful 2

• RMweb Premium

Personally the only sports I bother watching on telly are F1, tennis and my beloved QPR. I find the commentary excellent in all three, but particularly for football where it now seems to be possible to have dedicated commentary for your own football  team, certainly in the Championship - I can’t speak for the money pit division above us! I rather enjoy the combination of a commentator who’s also a fan paired up with a former player, in our case, Andy Sinton. The scream when a goal goes in is worth the money alone!

Andy

• Like 3
  • Interesting/Thought-provoking 1

Ahh, Commentary, like the legendary Eddie Waring, whose famous lines were

“Up ‘n’ under”,

“Ee’s gone for the early bath”,

”It’s a full coat colder on the East Coast”

“You’re looking at one ton of rugby – meat, brawn, muscle, brain – the lot of it”

”It’s a knockout”

”Stop your kidding Australia”

“Eeee, he’s a pocket battleship.”

“This lad’s a butcher – but I’ve never had any of his meat.”

And his classic

"As the shadows grow longer" spoken during a floodlit night match !!!

Brit15

• Like 4
  • Round of applause 2

On 20/03/2024 at 09:53, gr.king said:

If the annoyance with modern sports commentary extends to Rugby Union, and your only fluent language is English, try watching the "Clwb Rygbi" on S4C. You won't understand any more than the very occasional word of the commentary...

I didn't think about this yesterday, but if the viewing of S4C Clwb Rygbi, without added English subtitles, doesn't shield you sufficiently from an annoying understanding of the commentary, there may be an additional degree of obscurity available, as I remember on one occasion a few years ago stumbling up coverage of a game of shinty (possibly on BBC Alba) with commentary of course in Scots Gaelic.  With no idea of what the rules were, and no comprehension of the commentary, the viewing experience was certainly "different".

Edited by gr.king
  • Round of applause 1
  • Funny 1

• RMweb Gold
2 hours ago, thegreenhowards said:

Personally the only sports I bother watching on telly are F1, tennis and my beloved QPR. I find the commentary excellent in all three, but particularly for football where it now seems to be possible to have dedicated commentary for your own football  team, certainly in the Championship - I can’t speak for the money pit division above us! I rather enjoy the combination of a commentator who’s also a fan paired up with a former player, in our case, Andy Sinton. The scream when a goal goes in is worth the money alone!

Andy

Only F1 and tennis for me, and not much of the latter since Federer retired (in fact it's my wife who was the main tennis fan, but I used to absorb a lot of it by osmosis while she was waching). I find Sky's F1 commentary team to be excellent across the board, with Martin Brundell's observations a particular highlight, combining technical insight with wit and passion. I'm not sure if it's a Brundellism but I particularly like "enthusiasm exceeded adhesion" whenever someone spins out.

• Like 5
  • Agree 1

2 hours ago, Barry Ten said:

Only F1 and tennis for me, and not much of the latter since Federer retired (in fact it's my wife who was the main tennis fan, but I used to absorb a lot of it by osmosis while she was waching). I find Sky's F1 commentary team to be excellent across the board, with Martin Brundell's observations a particular highlight, combining technical insight with wit and passion. I'm not sure if it's a Brundellism but I particularly like "enthusiasm exceeded adhesion" whenever someone spins out.

Good afternoon Al,

I'd agree in the main about F1's commentary team, though I wish the principal one (can't remember his name) would desist in using 'sat' instead of 'sitting'. As in 'He's sat at the front of the grid', and other grammatical howlers.

Regards,

Tony. 

• Like 3
  • Friendly/supportive 1

• RMweb Premium

Got to ask this.

Who has been and checked their last paint job to make sure the lining is OK?

• Like 2
  • Agree 1
  • Round of applause 2
  • Funny 3

47 minutes ago, MJI said:

Got to ask this.

Who has been and checked their last paint job to make sure the lining is OK?

Good afternoon Martin,

Me, and not just my last lining job!

Regards,

Tony. 

• Like 2
  • Informative/Useful 1
  • Friendly/supportive 1

• RMweb Premium
44 minutes ago, Tony Wright said:

Good afternoon Martin,

Me, and not just my last lining job!

Regards,