Please use M,M&M only for topics that do not fit within other forum areas. All topics posted here await admin team approval to ensure they don't belong elsewhere.

Wright writes.....

• RMweb Gold
4 hours ago, Tony Wright said:

Good afternoon Al,

I'd agree in the main about F1's commentary team, though I wish the principal one (can't remember his name) would desist in using 'sat' instead of 'sitting'. As in 'He's sat at the front of the grid', and other grammatical howlers.

Regards,

Tony. 

That would be Crofty. Personally I think he's an idiot but then how do you step into Murry Walkers shoes without looking like an idiot?

Regards Lez.

• Like 1

• RMweb Gold
5 minutes ago, Bob5860 said:

Tony,  Following on from your post with regards to layouts that never leave home I attach photos of BOB my loft layout which is “Based On Bawtry” on the East Coast mainline.  Bob comprises a scale half mile from the 5 arches over the river Idle up to the station signal box to the North.  The attached ordinance survey map indicates the actual area modelled.

BOB was started in 2018, the fiddle yard was first and reused boards from 2 previous railway layouts going back to 1980 & 2000’s.  The fiddle yard comprises  a total of 35 loops, the scenic boards were all new build by myself Christmas 2019 and from there on progress continued up to Christmas 2023 when I started on the station building.  Unfortunately I have been unable to find definite information on some of the buildings.  I have used Metcalfe houses for the houses fronting the A614, the industrial building is pure fiction but I do need to re-visit the houses on Queens Crescent and the water treatment plant as more information has become available.

The track is Peco 100 in the fiddle yard and Peco bullhead on the scenic section.  The scenery is a joint effort with my 12 year old grandson, my wife and myself.  The signals are by my friend Greg.  The stock is probably 95% RTR but nothing goes onto the railway until it has been detailed, close coupled, weathered and in most cases lamps and crew.

At 72 I still have a lot to learn about train formations so BOB is definitely a work in progress.  It is just a simple layout to watch trains go by and especially by our grandchildren.

Thank you for the inspiration that is Writes Writes and thanks also for Peterborough North, Grantham and the West Hill wagon works.

Regards Nik

20240314_181103.jpg

20240314_181040.jpg

20240314_185752.jpg

20240314_181216.jpg

20240314_180954.jpg

In the days before the A1(M) when Bawtry was still on the main route north and the Great North Rd a stop for the toilets there and then a quick drive under the railway bridge for a sandwiches break in the lay-by. A good spot to watch the trains traverse the viaduct with the PW slack (due to subsidence) was a regular. All a long time ago now but this layout is a nice reminder of those past times. Very occasionally if time permitted we went down to the level crossing and sidings a bit further south (Screwby?). Thanks for triggering these memories.

• Like 4

Re: Based on Bawtry:

Very nice looking baseboards, track laying, buildings and scenery. All your own work?

I reckon I can just about see on that map where one of the Wright Writes regulars now has a bungalow.

Would prefer to see Bawtry in 1930s guise though...

• Like 2
  • Agree 2

• RMweb Gold
Posted (edited)
On 20/03/2024 at 09:53, gr.king said:

If the annoyance with modern sports commentary extends to Rugby Union, and your only fluent language is English, try watching the "Clwb Rygbi" on S4C. You won't understand any more than the very occasional word of the commentary...

Luckily as I don't have the necessary pay-TV subscription the Wales v Finland soccer game is free to air on S4C tonight. I can live with no sound/no commentary. Thanks @gr.king for the reminder about S4C covering Welsh sport.

Edited by john new
  • Like 1

1 hour ago, Bob5860 said:

Tony,  Following on from your post with regards to layouts that never leave home I attach photos of BOB my loft layout which is “Based On Bawtry” on the East Coast mainline.  Bob comprises a scale half mile from the 5 arches over the river Idle up to the station signal box to the North.  The attached ordinance survey map indicates the actual area modelled.

BOB was started in 2018, the fiddle yard was first and reused boards from 2 previous railway layouts going back to 1980 & 2000’s.  The fiddle yard comprises  a total of 35 loops, the scenic boards were all new build by myself Christmas 2019 and from there on progress continued up to Christmas 2023 when I started on the station building.  Unfortunately I have been unable to find definite information on some of the buildings.  I have used Metcalfe houses for the houses fronting the A614, the industrial building is pure fiction but I do need to re-visit the houses on Queens Crescent and the water treatment plant as more information has become available.

The track is Peco 100 in the fiddle yard and Peco bullhead on the scenic section.  The scenery is a joint effort with my 12 year old grandson, my wife and myself.  The signals are by my friend Greg.  The stock is probably 95% RTR but nothing goes onto the railway until it has been detailed, close coupled, weathered and in most cases lamps and crew.

At 72 I still have a lot to learn about train formations so BOB is definitely a work in progress.  It is just a simple layout to watch trains go by and especially by our grandchildren.

Thank you for the inspiration that is Writes Writes and thanks also for Peterborough North, Grantham and the West Hill wagon works.

Regards Nik

20240314_181103.jpg

20240314_181040.jpg

20240314_185752.jpg

20240314_181216.jpg

20240314_180954.jpg

Good evening Nik,

Thanks for showing us your work. My congratulations; it looks superb! 

The last time I visited Bawtry in steam days was not long after the station closed (though access was still possible).

The family was on its way back from visiting friends in Hull, and dad decided to stop the car at Bawtry station so that my brother and I could spot some trains. We didn't stay long, but long enough to see GANNET bowl slowly through on the Up Elizabethan (in preparation for the PW slack over the viaduct). Moments later, and accelerating in the opposite direction came WOLF OF BADENOCH on a Down express. Rarely have I seen such a difference in two locos' appearances; one positively gleamed and the other needed the 'eye of faith' to identify which A2/2 it was! Sadly, neither one was a 'cop', but LORD FARINGDON seen further south at Botany Bay was! 

Regards,

Tony. 

• Like 8

1 hour ago, john new said:

In the days before the A1(M) when Bawtry was still on the main route north and the Great North Rd a stop for the toilets there and then a quick drive under the railway bridge for a sandwiches break in the lay-by. A good spot to watch the trains traverse the viaduct with the PW slack (due to subsidence) was a regular. All a long time ago now but this layout is a nice reminder of those past times. Very occasionally if time permitted we went down to the level crossing and sidings a bit further south (Screwby?). Thanks for triggering these memories.

Good evening John,

From memory, there were troughs at Scrooby (one of the homes of the Pilgrim Fathers), the sidings were at Ranskill and the level crossings were at Torworth, Sutton or Botany Bay, all just of the (old) A1. 

I wonder how many other families with trainspotting sons turned off the A1 from time to time between Bawtry and Retford? Mine certainly did!

Regards,

Tony. 

• Like 2
  • Agree 2

11 hours ago, APOLLO said:

Ahh, Commentary, like the legendary Eddie Waring, whose famous lines were

“Up ‘n’ under”,

“Ee’s gone for the early bath”,

”It’s a full coat colder on the East Coast”

“You’re looking at one ton of rugby – meat, brawn, muscle, brain – the lot of it”

”It’s a knockout”

”Stop your kidding Australia”

“Eeee, he’s a pocket battleship.”

“This lad’s a butcher – but I’ve never had any of his meat.”

And his classic

"As the shadows grow longer" spoken during a floodlit night match !!!

Brit15

Not forgetting his famous: "... and straight into Low Moor sidings"

• Like 3

• RMweb Gold
7 minutes ago, Tony Wright said:

Good evening John,

From memory, there were troughs at Scrooby (one of the homes of the Pilgrim Fathers), the sidings were at Ranskill and the level crossings were at Torworth, Sutton or Botany Bay, all just of the (old) A1. 

I wonder how many other families with trainspotting sons turned off the A1 from time to time between Bawtry and Retford? Mine certainly did!

Regards,

Tony. 

It had a mill alongside the gates if I recall correctly. I may be conflating two spots as at least one of them had sidings. You could often see the steam rising from there where the A614 up from Nottingham met the Gt North Rd.

We certainly did use things like station car parks for picnic stops. We lived near Winchester at the time and two regulars going north for breakfast stops were either Wantage or Steventon depending on Dad's choice of route. Both good spots for fast running WR trains. Wantage at that time still had the loco plinthed on the platform.  Blisworth was the usual mid-point stop, not that good for numbers but plenty of trains passing over the viaduct. I remember too that the line just south of there through Towcester was used to store mineral wagons.

• Like 3

• RMweb Premium
Posted (edited)
2 hours ago, Bob5860 said:

Regards Nik

20240314_181103.jpg

20240314_181040.jpg

20240314_185752.jpg

20240314_181216.jpg

20240314_180954.jpg

Lovely stuff! Without giving too much away, you have modelled at least part of two properties owned by me and my family. I never knew the station when it was open but my old father in law, who passed away about a year ago and used to live in one of the Queen's Crescent properties which back to to the line knew it well and used it often. He could remember the pre war streamliners going through, accelerating off the viaduct. He used to scrounge coal from the crew of any freights that were held in the long lay by siding. He would reward the crews with a selection of his chrysanths or some veg from the garden.

One of the last two remaining railway buildings in Bawtry goods yard bit the dust this week. The goods shed remains, now clad in modern steel sheeting. The other building, the one to the right of the goods shed on your plan, which was originally served by a wagon turntable, hence the strange orientation, has been demolished to be replaced by a tin industrial unit.

Edited by t-b-g
To add content
  • Like 7
  • Informative/Useful 3
  • Friendly/supportive 1

3 hours ago, Bob5860 said:

Regards Nik

20240314_181103.jpg

20240314_181040.jpg

20240314_185752.jpg

20240314_181216.jpg

20240314_180954.jpg

An chance of seeing more of that?

• Agree 17

• RMweb Premium
5 hours ago, gr.king said:

I reckon I can just about see on that map where one of the Wright Writes regulars now has a bungalow.

Been there!

• Like 1
  • Agree 1

• RMweb Premium
13 hours ago, Bob5860 said:

Regards Nik

20240314_181103.jpg

20240314_181040.jpg

20240314_185752.jpg

20240314_181216.jpg

20240314_180954.jpg

What jumps out at me straight away is - primarily because you've modelled a real location - your row of houses ISN'T either parallel or perpendicular to the railway, which they seem to be on most model railways.  An instant dose of realism for me.

• Like 3
  • Agree 7

What a gem "Bawtry" is, no doubt many years of enjoyable work. I too like the angled buildings.

As others say, please show us a little more when you can.

Brit15

• Like 1
  • Agree 8

Bawtry is a location I have for a long time wanted to model, and it'll remain that way until I get a space big enough to build it! 

Please show more of your superb looking model!

• Like 4

Good afternoon Tony,

I am currently reading a book about William Stroudley's 'Terriers', the first part being about the man himself and I was amazed to find that from the year 1857 to 1858 he was seconded to supervise the working of the Edenham & Little Bytham Railway! Owned by Lord Willoughby de Eresbury of course, but I'm guessing you already knew that! 

Regards,

Jim.

• Like 1

On 21/03/2024 at 17:08, Tony Wright said:

Tomorrow should be fun........................

HornbyP22007R3983SS01.jpg.692799c177f5396f628f73ed00b7fc82.jpg

I've been asked to review/test this stunning new model by Hornby of the new-build P2; the one with real steam!

Naturally, it'll only function on DCC, and Little Bytham will never use that method of control; other than the few times when a DCC controller is wired in, every single relevant section of one of the four circuits is switched on and full DCC-functionality is enabled. Which will happen in the morning when a mate brings his peculiar box of tricks along.

Watch this space.............

It always brings me a slight chuckle when I remember how similar Hornby and TRS Trains smoke units to Thomas the Tank Engine toys!  For the kings ransom that Hornby is selling the smoking locos for, I wouldn't bother.  They should have used this as an opportunity to use something similar to whats used in the film industry for small fog machines, as the results should be realistic enough to sway people towards it, and there is no oil involved, being that its mostly water, monopropylene glycol, triethylene glycol, and dipropylene glycol (which as far as I can tell, shouldn't be too irritating, and I can always use a less irritating solution if necessary).  I'll have a go at making a smoke unit to see just how dense I can get it.  Something more like that, I think would be more worth the expenditure.  

Edited by 1471SirFrederickBanbury
Wrong mixture of glycols! Thanks to maico for pointing that out.
  • Interesting/Thought-provoking 2

• RMweb Premium
19 hours ago, Tony Wright said:

Tomorrow should be fun........................

HornbyP22007R3983SS01.jpg.692799c177f5396f628f73ed00b7fc82.jpg

I've been asked to review/test this stunning new model by Hornby of the new-build P2; the one with real steam!

Naturally, it'll only function on DCC, and Little Bytham will never use that method of control; other than the few times when a DCC controller is wired in, every single relevant section of one of the four circuits is switched on and full DCC-functionality is enabled. Which will happen in the morning when a mate brings his peculiar box of tricks along.

Watch this space.............

Don't like those wheels in the air

• Agree 7
  • Round of applause 1

• RMweb Gold
36 minutes ago, MJI said:

Don't like those wheels in the air

But how many layouts offer such a viewpoint against a plain background?

On my regular operating patch, we run a number of Hornby rebuilt West Countries, which will go round the minimum 3' curves with flanged wheels in the rear truck, as will Britannias.

Some have had the flangeless wheels replaced, others not, and eye level is about 15" above rail height.

Can't tell one from t'other without getting in really close.

I consider the subterfuge to be the lesser of two evils compared with a floppy rear truck swimming in unwanted daylight.

John

• Like 1
  • Agree 5

• RMweb Gold
23 minutes ago, Dunsignalling said:

But how many layouts offer such a viewpoint against a plain background?

On my regular operating patch, we run a number of Hornby rebuilt West Countries, which will go round the minimum 3' curves with flanged wheels in the rear truck, as will Britannias.

Some have had the flangeless wheels replaced, others not, and eye level is about 15" above rail height.

Can't tell one from t'other without getting in really close.

I consider the subterfuge to be the lesser of two evils compared with a floppy rear truck swimming in unwanted daylight.

John

Fair point regarding your view but personally I prefer the wobbly rear trucks (despite them being wrong) having been brought up with them. My brain expects that.

On 21/03/2024 at 09:25, APOLLO said:

Ahh, Commentary, like the legendary Eddie Waring, whose famous lines were

“Up ‘n’ under”,

“Ee’s gone for the early bath”,

”It’s a full coat colder on the East Coast”

“You’re looking at one ton of rugby – meat, brawn, muscle, brain – the lot of it”

”It’s a knockout”

”Stop your kidding Australia”

“Eeee, he’s a pocket battleship.”

“This lad’s a butcher – but I’ve never had any of his meat.”

And his classic

"As the shadows grow longer" spoken during a floodlit night match !!!

Brit15

One of the (few) interesting things about Lord William Hague is that if you close your eyes when listening to him he sounds just as I remember Eddie Waring. Mr Waring was, in any other respect, a far more appealing person.

John.

• Like 2
  • Funny 3

• RMweb Gold
2 hours ago, 1471SirFrederickBanbury said:

It always brings me a slight chuckle when I remember how similar Hornby and TRS Trains smoke units to Thomas the Tank Engine toys!  For the kings ransom that Hornby is selling the smoking locos for, I wouldn't bother.  They should have used this as an opportunity to use something similar to whats used in the film industry for small fog machines, as the results should be realistic enough to sway people towards it, and there is no oil involved, being that its mostly water and triethylene glycol (I'm going to try to make a smoke unit to see just how dense I can get it).  I would certainly hand over my money for that.  

There's no oil involved in this either, it just uses ordinary water.

• Agree 1
  • Informative/Useful 1

On 21/03/2024 at 18:39, Bob5860 said:

Regards Nik

20240314_181103.jpg

20240314_181040.jpg

20240314_185752.jpg

20240314_181216.jpg

20240314_180954.jpg

That looks very impressive and 35 fiddleyard lines are clearly well used. What are the overall dimensions, please?

• Like 1
  • Agree 1