Please use M,M&M only for topics that do not fit within other forum areas. All topics posted here await admin team approval to ensure they don't belong elsewhere.

Wright writes.....

8 minutes ago, Tony Wright said:

Thanks for that info Mike,

Being lazy (and not really knowing how to find out from the interweb), what's the price of a brand new Tortoise point motor now, please? I've had some donated for sale on behalf of CRUK. I've never used the type (though I'm sure they're quieter that the Fulgurex ones I installed and Norman Solomon wired up for Bytham).

Regards,

Tony

Tony,

it seems that the Tortoise is being replaced by the SMAIL, which appears to be a DCC decoder equipped version and significantly more expensive. Tortoise retailed for about £20 new and the only examples on eBay are about half that. However, they will now have rarity value so you might ask more!

Jol

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

• RMweb Premium
17 minutes ago, Tony Wright said:

Thanks for that info Mike,

Being lazy (and not really knowing how to find out from the interweb), what's the price of a brand new Tortoise point motor now, please? I've had some donated for sale on behalf of CRUK. I've never used the type (though I'm sure they're quieter that the Fulgurex ones I installed and Norman Solomon wired up for Bytham).

Regards,

Tony

https://www.digitrains.co.uk/shop-by-brand/circuitron/tortoise-point-motors/tortoise.html

Usual disclaimer.

• Thanks 1
  • Informative/Useful 2

14 hours ago, Tom F said:

I began weathering professionally back in 2019. I am a peripatetic violin teacher in various schools by trade. Originally it was only ever meant to be a top up to income, but increasingly I've been beginning to rely on it more.

I've become very frustrated with the teaching, and with 400 miles being clocked up for 32 weeks of the year, I'm looking at a change. I'd like to make the weathering more full time, perhaps moving to twice a week, or potentially three times a week.

Good luck Tom with the change of work emphasis towards something more enjoyable and less stressful. Take care to ensure that the weathering work doesn't become a chore as the music-teaching evidently has done.

• Like 2
  • Agree 1
  • Thanks 1
  • Friendly/supportive 3

37 minutes ago, gr.king said:

Good luck Tom with the change of work emphasis towards something more enjoyable and less stressful. Take care to ensure that the weathering work doesn't become a chore as the music-teaching evidently has done.

thanks Graeme

I don’t think I’ll drop the teaching completely, but I think working from home and less driving is definitely a step forward. The more I do, the more it helps my confidence.

• Like 1
  • Friendly/supportive 6

• RMweb Premium
5 hours ago, Jol Wilkinson said:

Tony,

it seems that the Tortoise is being replaced by the SMAIL, which appears to be a DCC decoder equipped version and significantly more expensive.

Jol

As far as I’m aware the Tortoise isn’t being replaced, it’s still a standard Circuitron product. As Jol points out the Smail is DCC ready, but can also be used on DC. 
The Cobalt point motors have a good reputation in both DC/DCC versions and are smaller. I’ve yet to try one though.

• Like 1

16 minutes ago, PMP said:

As far as I’m aware the Tortoise isn’t being replaced, it’s still a standard Circuitron product. As Jol points out the Smail is DCC ready, but can also be used on DC. 
The Cobalt point motors have a good reputation in both DC/DCC versions and are smaller. I’ve yet to try one though.

As my Fulgurex motors have failed (some are thirty five years old) I have been replacing them with DC Cobalts and I haven’t had a problem with one yet.  In the fiddle yard I was lazier and started with some cheap H&M SM3s off eBay, replaced a few with SEEP but couldn’t get on with them so have converted the whole area to Peco and they have also been very reliable.

Nigel

• Like 1
  • Informative/Useful 1
  • Friendly/supportive 1

6 hours ago, thegreenhowards said:

My experience of Tortoises is that you can pick up second hand ones for between £5 & £10 .

Good afternoon Andy,

Though technically 'second-hand', the Tortoise point motors I have (x 5) are brand new; it looks like they've not even been taken out of their boxes. Speaking of boxes, they're priced at £12.99 - which might indicate their ages. There are also some 'remote' adaptors. 

So, £10.00 seems fair then? That said, it would be nice to get the original asking price! 

Regards,

Tony. 

• Like 2

• RMweb Premium
38 minutes ago, Bob5860 said:

The ballast is still a work in progress.  I started with granite on the viaduct.  I couldn’t find any colour photos to confirm the type of ballast so any help would be appreciated.

Thanks Nik

I recall Norman Solomon saying that "Ballast is heavy - so expensive to transport; as a consequence they'd get it from as local a source as possible"; therefore it makes sense to consider (or invent) what would've been available in the local area.

HTH

Brian

• Informative/Useful 1

40 minutes ago, Bob5860 said:

Thank you for your comments with regards to B.O.B

Mr King, yes the railway is mostly my own work,  I built the baseboards, laid the track and made the kits.  Scratch built the buildings that kits were not available for.  Assistance came from my wife and grandson with scenery, painting etc.  As stated previously the signals were made by my friend who is also a railway modeller.

Started in 2018 the fiddle yard boards came from previous layouts, Brackenbridge (ROTM Jan 88 and around 20 exhibitions and from an attempt at Melton crossing on the Hull line which morphed into a freelance 4 track East coast mainline depiction which although started in 2005 and never finished due to a house move.

Mr Carrol, the model is 43’ 7” long and 8’ 2” wide and is located in a purpose built loft.  The scenic section is 34’ 6” long or 2625ft just 15ft short of a half a mile (2640ft) and varies from 1’ 6” wide to a maximum of 3’ wide.  The fiddle yards are 2’ wide.

Mr West & Grob12324, see below for more photos to the station in the North.  The ballast is still a work in progress.  I started with granite on the viaduct.  I couldn’t find any colour photos to confirm the type of ballast so any help would be appreciated.

Thanks Nik

20240325_171346.jpg

20240323_145726.jpg

20240323_144250.jpg

20240323_142315.jpg

20240325_171548.jpg

20240325_171556.jpg

Good evening Nik,

Very impressive.

Ballast? It's my experience that granite ballast turns 'greenish' when wetted. Limestone ballast is more-appropriate for the ECML during your period. It's what was used on Little Bytham.

Regards,

Tony. 

• Like 2
  • Informative/Useful 2

• RMweb Gold
Posted (edited)
5 hours ago, Tony Wright said:

Tom's visited LB from its early days...........

TomFosterLineup.jpg.9cddc58eae9f639046629d1f0408d9db.jpg

Now that is a fantastic photograph!    

It is reminiscent of a typical LNER publicity shot set up on a quiet Sunday morning, absolutely brilliant.     

Perhaps another go now the background (and the point rodding ...) is complete is in order?

Alan

Edited by PupCam
  • Like 6
  • Agree 3

• RMweb Premium
11 hours ago, gr.king said:

Sage advice - having run a well-known 'box-shifter' for 5 years with a friend and with 8 staff, it has taken three years since we gave up to get my interest in the hobby back.

• Like 1
  • Friendly/supportive 16

• RMweb Gold
On 27/03/2024 at 19:57, Tom F said:

Evening everyone.

I was having an email chat with Tony earlier regarding my weathering business. Tony kindly suggested I share some of my recent work in here.

I began weathering professionally back in 2019. I am a peripatetic violin teacher in various schools by trade. Originally it was only ever meant to be a top up to income, but increasingly I've been beginning to rely on it more.

I've become very frustrated with the teaching, and with 400 miles being clocked up for 32 weeks of the year, I'm looking at a change. I'd like to make the weathering more full time, perhaps moving to twice a week, or potentially three times a week.

Anyhow enough of my rambling, here's some examples of my work of late.

image.png.e36ee71e6e00e80d9524d63d7a276fc9.png

image.png.a591dde2c9e95b4a88376b85317fd118.png

image.png.c5bbcdcc0f20e05b11af3746600fde4c.png

image.png.e64187c4a14260d3fd2ded1bcc0fbdf4.png

image.png.6be0a30b22a1ba7367d8adc9ca053265.png

They are absolutely superb Tom!

12 hours ago, gr.king said:

46 minutes ago, New Haven Neil said:

Sage advice - having run a well-known 'box-shifter' for 5 years with a friend and with 8 staff, it has taken three years since we gave up to get my interest in the hobby back.

Sage advice indeed but good luck for a successful and fruitful transition.  It would be a great shame to waste such talent!

Alan

• Like 5
  • Agree 1

• RMweb Premium
8 hours ago, Tony Wright said:

Good afternoon Andy,

Though technically 'second-hand', the Tortoise point motors I have (x 5) are brand new; it looks like they've not even been taken out of their boxes. Speaking of boxes, they're priced at £12.99 - which might indicate their ages. There are also some 'remote' adaptors. 

So, £10.00 seems fair then? That said, it would be nice to get the original asking price! 

Regards,

Tony. 

Leave the price at £12.99 and see what happens!

• Agree 1

9 hours ago, Tony Wright said:

Good afternoon,

Regards,

Tony.

That's fair to me; personally I don't have a layout (I don't even have room for an Inglenook shunting puzzle), but I do have a fair assortment of stock, some old and some new- mostly LNER, but oddly enough a couple of BR Late Crest locos from the Southern Region.

Fun aside, I have five Gresley pacifics, and none of them are Flying Scotsman or Mallard; what I do have is Royal Lancer (from Hornby's collab with the Royal Mail), Falcon, Golden Eagle, Humorist, and (my personal favourite) Gladiateur (apparently split off from a Queen of Scots train pack).

Edited by NZRedBaron
  • Like 3

10 hours ago, PupCam said:

Now that is a fantastic photograph!    

It is reminiscent of a typical LNER publicity shot set up on a quiet Sunday morning, absolutely brilliant.     

Perhaps another go now the background (and the point rodding ...) is complete is in order?

Alan

Good morning Alan,

It's a good idea, but where the locos are now is anyone's guess. One or two might be on Grantham, which will be running at York over the Easter weekend.

Regards,

Tony.