Please use M,M&M only for topics that do not fit within other forum areas. All topics posted here await admin team approval to ensure they don't belong elsewhere.

Wright writes.....

One of the tasks I've undertaken recently is to examine some 'returned' examples of Heljan's O2/3s. In 99% of cases I've fixed the problem and they'll now be sold as 'seconds', rather in the fashion that Bachmann did (still do?) with their 'seconds' at Warley and Ally Pally (resulting in the greatest pensioners' scrum in history!). Some had 'jerky' running, in some cases caused by somebody squeezing in the motion. Another was described as 'dead'. On investigation, somebody had taken the tender body off, removed the blanking plug and forced it back on the wrong way round! One or two were returned because of 'paint missing from the front bogie'. Since no Tango has a bogie, I was quite puzzled. Another had 'ceased up' (sic); not surprising as its motion had been squashed in. It's now very much not seized-up. 

There were just a couple of the models which could not be fixed for re-sale. However, that didn't mean they couldn't be used. Knackered circuit boards could easily be by-passed, clumsily-handled motion could be repaired and one or two models could act as splendid guinea pigs. 

post-18225-0-82020600-1461689934_thumb.jpg

Just like this one. It's now an O2/2 (I was given several cab sprues from the forthcoming model). I easily altered the drive to right-hand (the reversing lever just comes off and fixes easily to the other side), making a new vacuum ejector pipe from brass wire and a new bufferbeam from brass strip. I replaced all the plastic handrail pillars with turned brass ones, and buffers were from my spares box and the tender from Nu-Cast. I know the O2/3s had long-travel valves, resulting in a slightly-raised running plate, but I'll live with this anomaly for an O2/2. For later LNER/BR days, the chimney supplied is too tall, so this one has a Markits brass substitute.

It'll probably be running on Grantham when you next see it.  

• Like 6

To be sold by Howes Tony?. I just looked at Howes site and there are a few O2 detail sprues and others covering  cab and footplate mouldings available. Other Locos inc O gauge parts there as well.

Shame Hornby don't sell similar parts.

To be sold by Howes Tony?. I just looked at Howes site and there are a few O2 detail sprues and others covering  cab and footplate mouldings available. Other Locos inc O gauge parts there as well.

Shame Hornby don't sell similar parts.

Mick,

I took some Tangos back to Howes last week, for resale as 'seconds', having examined and fixed them. As a percentage, the 'returns' are very small, but it's worth my fixing them if possible for resale at greatly-reduced prices. There'll be a few for sale at the Stamford Show (Market Deeping Club) this coming weekend which I've 'fixed'. In some cases the fixing is trivial - just straightening out slightly bent gear, slackening off the odd keeper plate and fixing back little items like the footplate supports. They're then offered for sale 'as seen'. They all work well now. 

attachicon.gifJ No Locomotive Junction - Copy.jpg

53c, there's a good chance coach No40 is in this train, whatever, it's more or less running through your "Back Yard".

Thanks for this picture Mick. Wow. I have consulted the fantastic online National Library of Scotland 'georeferenced' maps (accessible here) and, from my best dead reckoning, the photographer is perhaps stood in what is now the north east corner of my garden, or at the very least, within 5 metres of it! As I said, incredible!

Apologies to Mr Wright for the tangent on his thread that we've very much gone off on!

Cheers, 

CoY

Edited by County of Yorkshire
  • Like 1

Thanks for this picture Mick. Wow. I have consulted the fantastic online National Library of Scotland 'georeferenced' maps (accessible here) and, from my best dead reckoning, the photographer is perhaps stood in what is now the north east corner of my garden, or at the very least, within 5 metres of it! As I said, incredible!

Apologise to Mr Wright for the tangent on his thread that we've very much gone off on!

Cheers, 

CoY

No need for any apologies, County of York (you're guilty of tautology by suffixing York with 'shire' having prefixed it with 'County of', but I think we've been here before). If nothing else this thread is tangential, and much the better for it. Please, keep on posting................

Yesterday Roy Vinter delivered some more of his superlative ground signals and with another friend we installed them. It's not as easy as it used to be with near-70 and 70+ year old bones struggling to work upside down in gloomy conditions, but we did it. With a couple of exceptions, all the tiny signals are now made and the mechanisms are being installed. How they're done will be described in a book I'm writing for Crowood Press for release later this year. He now has a locomotive by way of horse-trading, so happiness all round.

post-18225-0-00204000-1461701808_thumb.jpg 

In this shot, an O1 is leaving the Down south refuge and heading on to the Down main line. The little ground doll is (correctly) sited 'wrong side' so to speak because of prototype clearance problems. Bob Dawson's lovely 'box is seen in the distance. Bob is making the platform buildings for me for two reasons. One, to meet the publication deadline and two because I have to accept my limitations, and architectural modelling is not my area of expertise. It is his. 

Edited by Tony Wright
  • Like 16

attachicon.gifHeljan O2 modifications 30.jpg

Just like this one. It's now an O2/2 ........I easily altered the drive to right-hand (the reversing lever just comes off and fixes easily to the other side), making a new vacuum ejector pipe from brass wire and a new bufferbeam from brass strip. I replaced all the plastic handrail pillars with turned brass ones, and buffers were from my spares box and the tender from Nu-Cast. I know the O2/3s had long-travel valves, resulting in a slightly-raised running plate, but I'll live with this anomaly for an O2/2.

I've been considering a similar "ignore the running plate" set of modifications to produce an 02/1 interpretation, by means of a resin cab (to get the higher eaves and flatter roof) and a resin tender. I might even try to make the changes reversible, in case circumstances change.

I don't think we'll be hearing any more about shortages of eight coupled mineral locos on Grantham during shows.....

• Like 1

Just like this one. It's now an O2/2 (I was given several cab sprues from the forthcoming model). I easily altered the drive to right-hand (the reversing lever just comes off and fixes easily to the other side), making a new vacuum ejector pipe from brass wire and a new bufferbeam from brass strip. I replaced all the plastic handrail pillars with turned brass ones, and buffers were from my spares box and the tender from Nu-Cast. I know the O2/3s had long-travel valves, resulting in a slightly-raised running plate, but I'll live with this anomaly for an O2/2. For later LNER/BR days, the chimney supplied is too tall, so this one has a Markits brass substitute.

Tony (and Graeme) my suggestion would be to finish the model so that the footplate can be replaced in due course as I would think the lower footplate for the short travel valves is likely to be available as a spare once the O2/2 version is produced. I have a set of the sprues for the O2/3 on their way as I thought they would be useful - perhaps a number of the parts might end up on my Gresley O1 when I get around to it.

Andrew Emmett

Guest Brighton_JunctionLNER

One of the tasks I've undertaken recently is to examine some 'returned' examples of Heljan's O2/3s. In 99% of cases I've fixed the problem and they'll now be sold as 'seconds', rather in the fashion that Bachmann did (still do?) with their 'seconds' at Warley and Ally Pally (resulting in the greatest pensioners' scrum in history!). Some had 'jerky' running, in some cases caused by somebody squeezing in the motion. Another was described as 'dead'. On investigation, somebody had taken the tender body off, removed the blanking plug and forced it back on the wrong way round! One or two were returned because of 'paint missing from the front bogie'. Since no Tango has a bogie, I was quite puzzled. Another had 'ceased up' (sic); not surprising as its motion had been squashed in. It's now very much not seized-up. 

There were just a couple of the models which could not be fixed for re-sale. However, that didn't mean they couldn't be used. Knackered circuit boards could easily be by-passed, clumsily-handled motion could be repaired and one or two models could act as splendid guinea pigs. 

attachicon.gifHeljan O2 modifications 30.jpg

afternoon sir, would you have 1 left, that i could possibly buy off you in november?

jesse

Guest Brighton_JunctionLNER

Morning all, thanks for that, that would be perfect for pre-war period correct? 

jesse

Good morning Jesse,

I should have one, which I'll set aside for you. 

Tony. 

[attachment=704730:image.jpegTony, hope you don't mind just finished Bertha from the DJH kit. I've adapted her a little modelling the latter cut down tender. In addition have added some detail not included in kit. It is shown passing my scratch built model of Water Orton. You photographed this at an earlier stage of construction at a Warley Symposium....more years ago than we would both care to recall...best wishes Brian

Good morning 46256,

I just had to comment on your superb station building, one of the most convincing I've seen. Do you have any more details regarding its construction and painting?

Dear Headstock thank you for your kind comments. It was photographed by Andy York back in January 2014, and featured as one of the layouts in the April 2014 BRM. The basic construction was described there, apologies to anyone who read my description of it and the layout.  

At the risk of repeating the details. The model of the station was broken down into the following. The Minworth Road Bridge. Water Orton station building itself. The wooden walkway onto the platform. And lastly the two wooden platform waiting rooms, now sadly demolished  at the real location.

In respect of the main building I was fortunate to travel and meet Bill Hudson at his shop in the peak district. He very kindly supplied me with copies of the original Midland plans which he had used to construct the 7mm version of these buildings on the sevenscale model which featured in a MRJ.

As ever I collected as many  photos as possible from all number of sources including site visits to my old village. the building is a plasticard shell with layers of brick added...other stonework filed and shaped plasticard. All stuck on the shell in various layers. then literally painted brick by brick....truly a labour of love.

I will finish this, and again sorry if I have gone on too much...with an interesting...amusing tale. the demolition of the platform buildings ( still an act of official vandalism and is and was a cause of great personal sadness) The removal of the awnings, revealed that the wooden walkway onto the platform had a distinct dogleg...I had been modelling it as a straight structure. Lastly the same structure, I was using a line drawing

in the book of LMS architecture. I had almost completed it...something was wrong...study photos, study plan then it hit me when actually built in 1907 to 08 , the builder s had somehow condensed the structure leaving out one of the sections....new one had to be made...it was at this stage I considered changing my hobby, or booking into rehab clinic...are there ones for obsessive modellers. Again many thanks for your kind comments. best wishes Brian

• Like 4

I've never had the privilege of visiting Water Orton, but to my eye it looks totally authentic. Great modelling, and painting, with an interesting story to boot.

p.s. Big Berty looks pretty good too.

Edited by Headstock

No. Did you not get Red Leader's explanatory note? We have 4 of those, but they were put onto other workings. That was the problem.

More 2-8-0s with 3 link couplings will be fine, although we do have a selection of adaptor wagons available to suit almost every need.