Please use M,M&M only for topics that do not fit within other forum areas. All topics posted here await admin team approval to ensure they don't belong elsewhere.

Wright writes.....

It is the same one, re-opened in new premises due to redevelopment of the old site. There is another branch in Southampton Row (just north of the old Kingsway tram subway ramp), but I've never really found any transport books in there.

Must pay a visit. For anyone interested the address from their website is:

104 Lower Marsh, Waterloo, London SE1 7AB.

Opening Times:

• Monday to Saturday – 09:00 – 19:30
  • Sunday – 11:00 – 17:00
  • Like 1

Good evening,

Thank you for your comments. 

As I hope the following pictures show, the trap points and ground dolly you mention are actually on the model.

attachicon.gifground signals 12.jpg

attachicon.gifground signals 15B.jpg

attachicon.gifLB overall view 04.jpg

The working ground signals are the work of Roy Vinter, to whom any praise should be given. They are little works of art in my view. 

Regards,

Tony. 

Thank you for kind reply. Was " Ganger" N. Soloman responsible for laying in the new trap points? Do they actually work? I ask this as some layouts that I have seen have none working ones , this means the layout in that area does not look right. The resin V2 body seen in an earlier thread, is it available to order? would a Branch Lines V2 chassis fit? Your layout is really coming on in leaps and bounds, really looking good. Will there be a DVD update any time soon? How does Roy Vinter make the ground (Dolly) signals work?

I believe you think of Motorbooks.  I'm not sure whether it is still there.  Someone will know!

Chris

Hi Chris,

Re. Motorbooks, I used to buy from Phil at Oxford and indeed the Swindon branch too and Oxford used to do some 7mm and 0-16.5 NG, both long gone now, even the model-shop that took over in Oxford has now gone a year or two back (or more) now....changing times.

ATVB

CME

Dear David,

As mentioned, I'll send the complete manuscript to Crowood on Friday (my deadline is the end of this month). After that it'll be up to them. 

Every book I've ever written needed a tweak before publication, so I'd say early in the New Year. 

The first book for Booklaw will be completed by then (LNER Locomotives in Detail) where I'll caption well over a hundred of the late Keith Pirt's fantastic pictures. The book will be aimed at modellers as well as enthusiasts. It's publication date is timed for the Glasgow Show at the end of February. Then, it's more for Booklaw and for Irwell - prototype books. 

Regards,

Tony.

Thanks Tony

I will look forward to both books.

The New Year will just be about right for me, also I am a very big fan of Keith Pirts photography

Regards

David

Thank you for kind reply. Was " Ganger" N. Soloman responsible for laying in the new trap points? Do they actually work? I ask this as some layouts that I have seen have none working ones , this means the layout in that area does not look right. The resin V2 body seen in an earlier thread, is it available to order? would a Branch Lines V2 chassis fit? Your layout is really coming on in leaps and bounds, really looking good. Will there be a DVD update any time soon? How does Roy Vinter make the ground (Dolly) signals work?

So many questions; I'll do my best to answer them. 

Mr Solomon (all 'o's, by the way) did make the trap point and, though it's the intention to have it operational, at the moment it's not. Your right - it doesn't look right, except when a train is allowed to leave the lay bye.  

You can try getting one of the resin-bodied V2s from Graeme King. He posts regularly on this thread. Perhaps he'll respond to your post. 

I don't know whether a Branchlines V2 chassis would fit because I've never tried one. A Comet chassis does; perfectly.

Thank you for your kind comments. 

There's an intention to do another DVD early next year. Watch this space, please. 

I've explained how Roy makes the ground dollies work in my forthcoming book from Crowood. 

Regards,

Tony. 

• Like 1

• RMweb Premium

I hope you don't mind if I ask, but you say at post 12,235 above that you "recently re-roofed the goods shed with embossed slates".

I've had the Prototype Models Little Bytham goods shed for many years, and always enjoy such a lovely representation of the prototype. Whose embossed slates did you use, please?

John Storey

Dear David,

As mentioned, I'll send the complete manuscript to Crowood on Friday (my deadline is the end of this month). After that it'll be up to them. 

Every book I've ever written needed a tweak before publication, so I'd say early in the New Year. 

The first book for Booklaw will be completed by then (LNER Locomotives in Detail) where I'll caption well over a hundred of the late Keith Pirt's fantastic pictures. The book will be aimed at modellers as well as enthusiasts. It's publication date is timed for the Glasgow Show at the end of February. Then, it's more for Booklaw and for Irwell - prototype books. 

Regards,

Tony. 

Good morning Tony,

will your new book cover the LNER period?

I hope you don't mind if I ask, but you say at post 12,235 above that you "recently re-roofed the goods shed with embossed slates".

I've had the Prototype Models Little Bytham goods shed for many years, and always enjoy such a lovely representation of the prototype. Whose embossed slates did you use, please?

John Storey

Good morning John,

I don't mind your asking at all, and I'm delighted to be able to help. 

The sheets I used are made by Barleycorn Designs, PO Box 1360, Norwich NR12 8YQ. 

www.barleycorndesigns.com

The code is TS1 OO/HO Grey Slate Roof.

The goods shed on my Little Bytham is Ian Wilson's Prototype Models prototype - the first one he built from his own kit design; surely an example of scratch-building. He admits a weak point was the 'bland' printed overall roof (he did provide later kits with an embossed roof). So, he didn't mind my sticking the Barleycorn sheets on. As can be seen in the following pictures..............

post-18225-0-22562200-1477475566_thumb.jpg

post-18225-0-16894500-1477475569_thumb.jpg

post-18225-0-70202400-1477475571_thumb.jpg

It does make a big difference. After the sheets were stuck on (with Evostik over the originals), I weathered them with enamels and thinners. Water-based paint removes the pigment from the ridge tiles. 

I've yet to fit the guttering and downpipes.

You can see the shed in the little video clip not long ago posted by a dear friend. 

Always glad to help,

Regards,

Tony. 

Edited by Tony Wright
  • Like 4

Good morning Tony,

will your new book cover the LNER period?

Good morning Andrew,

It will, in a way.

By that I mean one of the locomotives I've built for the book only just made it to the BR period; a London Road Models D2.  

post-18225-0-04584300-1477476698_thumb.jpg

The other locos built for the book are two V2s, one from a Graeme King resin body.............

post-18225-0-89647700-1477476691_thumb.jpg

The other from a Jamieson kit...................

post-18225-0-48448000-1477476693_thumb.jpg

post-18225-0-77296700-1477476695_thumb.jpg

I painted the former and Ian Rathbone painted the latter. I know the Jamieson kit is no longer available but they seem to be easily obtained second-hand. All the V2s, of course, were built in LNER days. I might sneak a shot of an LNER-painted one in. And yes, revealed in cruel close-up, I need to replace that cast-on smokebox dart.  

All the rest of the book is applicable to LNER days as well, though any somersault signals had gone just after the War. Any buildings were the same, so I think it should (or at least I hope so) suit most periods in one way or another. 

Edited by Tony Wright
  • Like 17

Hi Tony,

The video is well done and good to see the bridge in situ.

I thought you look quite dapper for just turning .....

I have just been sorting out my OO gauge kits, after finishing an O gauge cattle wagon.

Mark

That roof looks very good Tony. A bit easier than doing all the tiles individually. I shall be taking a look at the Barlycorn site.

Phil

Thanks Phil,

It is an improvement and dead easy to do. 

I notice on your layout thread some comments about what motive power you'll need. Please, count 34094 as one of your future stud. She's of no use to me now, WMRC having sold Charwelton. 

Whenever you want her made DCC-compatible, just let me know. 

It's most encouraging to find folk (good friends included) making their own layouts, especially where I can be of assistance (and, thus, poke my nose in). 

Some of the roofs on Kingsbridge Regis have been done with Barleycorn embossed roofs. Very good and very easy to use.

I think it is an Alan Downes theory that you should spend disproportionate effort on model roofs given normal top down viewing angles?

David

• Like 1

Tony ....."ugly old ......"

as my wife reminds me " dear don't insult yourself.....thats my job"

Superb layout!

Best wishes brian....

Thanks Brian.

However, I don't think I'd winner any prizes in a 'good-looking' contest, except a booby prize. 

Thank you for the praise for LB. If it isn't already evident, however, most of that praise should be given to others. I'm fortunate indeed to have such a crack team of mates for the building of LB, all pooling resources and helping each other. We all have qualifications in the old art of bartering. 

Regards,

Tony. 

Just catching up on a proper screen. the photos are excellent. And the building superb! Thanks

Thanks David,

If you refer specifically to the architectural modelling, then the praise is due to Ian Wilson, Bob Dawson and Scott Waterfield. I just nail the locos together. 

• Friendly/supportive 1

Good morning Andrew,

It will, in a way.

By that I mean one of the locomotives I've built for the book only just made it to the BR period; a London Road Models D2.  

attachicon.gifLRM D2 36.jpg

The other locos built for the book are two V2s, one from a Graeme King resin body.............

attachicon.gifKing V2 18.jpg

The other from a Jamieson kit...................

attachicon.gifKing V2 20.jpg

attachicon.gifKing V2 21.jpg

I painted the former and Ian Rathbone painted the latter. I know the Jamieson kit is no longer available but they seem to be easily obtained second-hand. All the V2s, of course, were built in LNER days. I might sneak a shot of an LNER-painted one in. And yes, revealed in cruel close-up, I need to replace that cast-on smokebox dart.  

All the rest of the book is applicable to LNER days as well, though any somersault signals had gone just after the War. Any buildings were the same, so I think it should (or at least I hope so) suit most periods in one way or another. 

The D2 looks a smashing loco. I seem to recall I have a shot of one of those in the loop lines at Leicester, it probably wandered in from Colwick. Regarding your book or books, I got the impression that your book 'LNER locomotives in detail' was concentrating on the full-size subject matter rather than LB, am I misinformed? If it is, will it deal with the LNER  period or just BR? Come to think of it, If the LB book is a separate publication then you could always borrow some locomotives and stock from Grantham just to add a little spice. I was pondering whether the late BR period being so popular with RTR layouts nowadays makes it less atractive to the makers of things. Is the likes of the B2 up the page actually more attractive to aspiring model builders?.  I often walk past the BR period layouts at exhibitions these days because they are more likely to be out of the box creations. Incidentaly, the the long shot of LB with the A2/2 is one of the best that you have tacken in my opinion, very effective.

attachicon.gifLB overall view 10.jpg

With work on the layout at a finished-enough stage to be able to complete the book, shots like this will be included. I've attempted to stand on the M&GNR embankment and point my camera across the Glen Valley westwards, catching an A2/2 on a lengthy Down express. That the work of so many talented people is coming together in (I believe to be) an harmonious way is a testament to their exceptional relative abilities. My work, as is to be expected, is with regard to the locos and trains, though not much with freight stock. It's also very gratifying that not a great deal has involved the passing over of 'dirty' money or the scribbling of cheques. I recommend bartering completely. 

I agree with Andrew, this is a stunning shot. Remarkable to be able to obtain such a sense of distance and depth.

The D2 looks a smashing loco. I seem to recall I have a shot of one of those in the loop lines at Leicester, it probably wandered in from Colwick. Regarding your book or books, I got the impression that your book 'LNER locomotives in detail' was concentrating on the full-size subject matter rather than LB, am I misinformed? If it is, will it deal with the LNER  period or just BR? Come to think of it, If the LB book is a separate publication then you could always borrow some locomotives and stock from Grantham just to add a little spice. I was pondering whether the late BR period being so popular with RTR layouts nowadays makes it less atractive to the makers of things. Is the likes of the B2 up the page actually more attractive to aspiring model builders?.  I often walk past the BR period layouts at exhibitions these days because they are more likely to be out of the box creations. Incidentaly, the the long shot of LB with the A2/2 is one of the best that you have tacken in my opinion, very effective.

Andrew,

I probably haven't explained things very well about my future books. 

The book for The Crowood Press (which will be finished tomorrow and sent off Friday) is concerned with an approach to modelling a prototype location on the ECML in the BR steam era. Initially the brief was to be 'Modelling The East Coast Main Line in the BR Steam Period'. Having started it, it soon dawned on me that such a task would be impossible, at least for me. Though I have dozens of pictures of suitable layout candidates, how could I honestly tell the story of how the research was done, how they were built, how the architecture was constructed, how the stock was built, etc, etc? 

So, I sent a revised brief which was accepted where I've used the building of Little Bytham as an armature on which to hang the book. All the research methodology and constructional techniques are applicable to all scales and gauges and to all periods. For instance, the making of a signal and how it's operated, irrespective of whether it's an LB signal, could apply to the making of any model railway signal. Though I certainly didn't build and install the signals, I've taken pictures as progress has taken place and asked questions as to how things were done. The same is so for the buildings, where the work of Ian Wilson, Bob Dawson and Scott Waterfield has had pictures taken of it at various stages in the construction process, including during a trip up to York. Though this might sound a bit 'second-hand', I assure you I'm fully aware of all the procedures involved and can act as a reporter so to speak. Obviously, I'm happier commenting on the building/modifying of the locos and stock, which is all my own work (including building some wagons - yes, me building wagons!)

In the final analysis, I hope the book won't be seen as just an account of how LB was built. It's more than that I assure you.

Now to the Booklaw books. These are definitely on the prototype, in this case BR, ER/NER/ScR ex-LNER main line steam. The first one will be called something like LNER (or ex-LNER) Locomotives in Detail. David Allen has given me a disc of some of the most fantastic pictures taken by the late Keith Pirt. Most have dates and locations for, but not all. Now, without being disparaging to the deceased, as the late David Jenkinson once told me, 'KP is a fantastic photographer but cannot write a caption for toffee!' Most of Keith's captions referred to a subject's life history, just cribbed from the RCTS or Yeadon. Though I could be riding for a fall, I hope I can do more than that. One brilliant shot shows SIR NIGEL GRESLEY leaving Askham Tunnel on an Up working and all that's noted is when the loco was built, where it was shedded and when it was withdrawn. Not a mention of the train, which is The Northumbrian, by the way, without a headboard. 

As you might know, I write captions on a regular basis for BRILL on such matters. Often one finds evidence which contradicts the established works; like QUICKSILVER towing a 1928 corridor tender for just a month or two in 1960 - something not recorded as far as I know. Though all this might sound a bit (a lot!) anal, I hope it'll be of use to modellers. 

Further books from Booklaw will include captions written for classes A1, A2 (all varieties) and A3s. 

I also share your indifference when one sees BR steam-era layouts populated almost exclusively by RTR locos. I know not all can kit or scratch-build, but some are hardly altered. I have a great deal of respect for those who alter/modify/improve their RTR locos; less so for those who just farm the jobs out, though they do provide employment. Because the majority of the massive post-War baby-boomers (of which I'm one) are now well into retirement, they have the time, space and cash to (in many cases) return to the hobby, recreating, or attempting to, the halcyon days of their youth as trainspotters. I'm convinced this 'bulge' is what's driving the RTR market right now, and it will inevitably diminish. It's also the reason making my writing of books on the period, both model and prototype, viable. Or, at least I hope so. 

I hope all of the above makes sense.

Regards,

Tony. 

Edited by Tony Wright
  • Like 3

I agree with Andrew, this is a stunning shot. Remarkable to be able to obtain such a sense of distance and depth.

Thanks Robert, 

It's very kind of you to say so. 

Other than sheer luck, I think the picture 'works' because we (Ian Wilson and I) were not prepared to compromise (too much) on the overall length of the layout. Yes, the scenic section is a twitch over a foot short but what's visible is all on the straight, not trying to negotiate some non-prototypical right-angle bend to go on/off stage. It thus, just appears to go off into the distance. 

Regards,

Tony.