Please use M,M&M only for topics that do not fit within other forum areas. All topics posted here await admin team approval to ensure they don't belong elsewhere.

Wright writes.....

• RMweb Gold

Cleethorpes is still a stunning seaside location to visit and it has a good service so you have no excuse. :mosking:

This reminded me to say that if you want some fun looking at 'extra' train stock (high summer in particular), then check out the long distance stuff going from the east midlands to the south coast in the summer timetable, via the Somerset and Dorset (Bournemouth mainly). I found out about this entertaining variety in the early 60s when looking at the short lived Cleethorpes to Sidmouth and Exmouth & return (SO and July, August + 1 X September IIRC ). Fortunately Mr. Peters was there to capture a lot of them on film and Tony and I did spend a little time checking the ER/BR stock out on a few pics. Great fun.

Someone has mentioned (on here I think?) the notorious Nottingham to the Lincs east coast holiday time/weekend specials consisting of non lav stock and there was one station (was it Spalding) that was used as the toilet stop on the way back after a day's boozing. No imagination needed about the resulting 'flow' ...........

Phil

A group of us ended up in Cleethorpes on a BR Merrymaker from the West Country back in the 1980s* - possibly whoever thought of sending it there was inspired by memories of the Sidmouth & Exmouth service from earlier in his/her career.

It was one of those "mystery" trips where the destination got gradually narrowed down junction by junction as the journey progressed. 

I seem to remember that we arrived well late but that the weather on the day made us quite grateful for that.

John

*EDIT: 30 August 1982, hauled by 47 440 and I joined the train at Axminster. Does anybody out there have notes of the exact route taken?  

Edited by Dunsignalling

A group of us ended up in Cleethorpes on a BR Merrymaker from the West Country back in the 1980s* - possibly whoever thought of sending it there was inspired by memories of the Sidmouth & Exmouth service from earlier in his/her career.

It was one of those "mystery" trips where the destination got gradually narrowed down junction by junction as the journey progressed. 

I seem to remember that we arrived well late but that the weather on the day made us quite grateful for that.

John

*EDIT: 30 August 1982, hauled by 47 440 and I joined the train at Axminster. Does anybody out there have notes of the exact route taken?  

Check the Six Bells Junction site for the trip details

• RMweb Premium

Check the Six Bells Junction site for the trip details

Those Merrymakers were excellent. I lived in Wellingborough in the mid/late '70s and we did Carlisle a few time and Plymouth. The latter was a trek but enabled my late dad to take a very inexpensive trip back to W'boro' with us. I seem to remember we had a pair of 25s either going down or coming back? Otherwise it was always a 47.

Can't remember if I ever did a mystery destination one?

phil

• RMweb Premium

We went on a Merrymaker mystery tour from Doncaster some time in the mid 70s.

We set off heading to Sheffield, Derby and Birmingham and we were handed a questionnaire which included a prize for anybody guessing the destination. Everybody was suggesting Weston Super Mare and suchlike. We handed the forms in, the train stopped just beyond Birmingham, the loco ran round and we ended up at Aberystwyth. It was a drizzly, dull day, a Sunday. Everything was shut. The only thing to look at was a Vale of Rheidol loco in blue livery but we arrived late and there wasn't time for a trip on the line before we were due to leave.

Still, we did get pulled by 2 Class 24s (the only time I managed that).

We also had a day out in Paignton on a Merrymaker. Not much time there but a great cheap railway journey in the days when you got luxuries like buffet cars, windows and tables!

Happy days! 

• Like 4

• RMweb Gold

Mystex were an occasional feature of my career as a freight guard at Canton in the 70s, Saturday overtime work and enormous fun.  Ours were always 47 hauled and started from one of the valleys, picking up as far as Newport, with the valleys reservations being towards the front as you went down, in order to load passengers from the short platforms.  This of course all unravelled horribly on the way back when you'd have to signal the driver or secondman depending which side you were on to stop at a suitable location; round the curve in the dark at Llwynypia or Bargoed with 12 on and a brake van in the middle could be interesting!

On the outward journey, we would be instructed by the stewards, office staff also on overtime, not to give the game away even as to where we were being relieved, and the passengers watched progress at junctions carefully.  Destinations from South Wales included Whitby, Blackpool, York (a winter one), Margate, and Newquay, great value for money and profitable even at overtime rates with every seat taken.  I used to somewhat enjoy telling passengers that I had no idea where the train was going, and neither did the driver, usually somewhere where the 75mph rated stock was rocking about a bit...

They were occasionally an outing for our Gresley teak buffet car or one of the metrocam pullmans we used as catering vehicles on such trains, but many had no catering at all despite the long journeys.  Regulars were happy to cater for themselves with crisps, pies sarnies, Thermos, and cans of beer.  The outward bound trains would set off from Canton ecs to Treherbert or Rhymney at just gone 5am, and not get back until well gone midnight, so some of the upper valley punters might have been on the go for 18 hours or more and were exhausted when they got home; they seemed to come back for more and would often ask when the next one was, though.

I only remember working one 'inbound' one, a Hastings-Barry Island formed of two 6 car demu sets routed from Swindon (where I relieved it and my driver acted as pilot to a Redhill man) via Box; it managed to keep to timings for 47s and 10 eth mk 2s, though it made a hell of a racket and the ride was, um, noticeable.  This was another day out when it was a shame to take the money; the Redhill driver was a horseracing man and we had to show him where the bookie's was at Barry Island, where we had time for a wander around, a look at girls in bikinis, chips, and a beer with him before heading back to Cardiff for relief.  It must have been a very long day for him.  Of course there was the inevitable woman from Barry who had been on holiday in Hastings and decided that a mystery day out would be a good idea...

The ECML pullmans at Canton are another subject suitable for Musings.  We had 3 of them, Kitchen Seconds 342, 344, and 345 IIRC.   One of these was reputed to be haunted, by a lady in a black shawl in a corner seat who was knitting something (presumably something black).  Several of Canton's carriage cleaning ladies reckoned to have seen her, and originally thought she was a 'dosser'; we used to have all sorts sheltering in the carriages on the back sidings in those days and they were generally tolerated as long as they didn't leave a mess and cleared off when we wanted to use the trains, but she would 'disappear' or 'melt' or 'turn to smoke' if you spoke to her, and the temperature would drop...

Now, let me say a few words about the supernatural.  It's nonsense, all of it, complete unmitigated rubbish, but it is very easy to make that statement in a warm lit room.  It is a bit different when you are out there on your own in the dark!  Canton carriage cleaning ladies were a sort that had been around the block a few times and weren't easily frightened, but it got so that nobody would clean this coach unless it was daylight, and eventually not at all.  Apparently even the shed cats were afraid of it, and if something is capable of scaring a Canton shed ratkiller, I don't want anything to do with it!!!

The poor pullman deteriorated, and was eventually set on fire mysteriously one night.  The dossers were blamed for it, or kids, but we all suspected the cleaning staff foreman, who was at his wit's end with the bloody thing!  

Sorry, that turned into a bit of a screed.  Hope it wasn't too boring!

• Like 10

• RMweb Premium

Merrymakers

Done one to IoW and got to see the underground trains

A couple to the S&C (47s)

Hereford, Shrewsbury, Craven Arms, Swansea with a 37

They were great.

• RMweb Gold

We went on a Merrymaker mystery tour from Doncaster some time in the mid 70s.

We set off heading to Sheffield, Derby and Birmingham and we were handed a questionnaire which included a prize for anybody guessing the destination. Everybody was suggesting Weston Super Mare and suchlike. We handed the forms in, the train stopped just beyond Birmingham, the loco ran round and we ended up at Aberystwyth. It was a drizzly, dull day, a Sunday. Everything was shut. The only thing to look at was a Vale of Rheidol loco in blue livery but we arrived late and there wasn't time for a trip on the line before we were due to leave.

Still, we did get pulled by 2 Class 24s (the only time I managed that).

We also had a day out in Paignton on a Merrymaker. Not much time there but a great cheap railway journey in the days when you got luxuries like buffet cars, windows and tables!

Happy days! 

Yes, ours had the 'guess the destination' competitions as well, I think the prize was a free ticket for the next mystex.  I was offered all sorts of bribes in the form of pies and beer to reveal the secret, to which I was not party anyway and would not have succumbed to temptation.

Having just sorted everything out from a most-enjoyable weekend at Doncaster, may I please pass a few comments about what's been recently posted on this thread? 

Firstly, it's evident that it doesn't really need me at all. It has a life (a very active one) of its own (NOT IT'S OWN - PLEASE, GET THIS RIGHT IN FUTURE!!!!!).

Secondly, what marvellous images of ECML expresses. I think what impressed me the most were two things - the variety and the length. Certainly, in the '50s, very-mixed trains of 13/14 cars were really common. As the '60s progressed (and the Deltics went faster), the train lengths became shorter. So, if one wants to have a 'reasonably' accurate 4mm depiction of an ECML location in the '50s, then less than 30' will just not do; 13- 14- (or even 15-car) trains need at least that. 'Ah, it's all right for you, you have that' I hear you say, and I do - otherwise why would I (and others with me) attempt to make such a depiction?

Which brings me on to kit-building. I don't think anyone here is 'bashing' RTR. Far from it; those with common sense will use it as appropriate. However, if one wants to run 13/14/15 car expresses (as I do) or 50-wagon trains (as I do), and many of those are (out of necessity) built from kits (some of which are heavy, though free-running), then RTR steam-outline motive power (other than a Hornby P2?) is just no good. How can this be perceived as RTR-bashing? It's merely stating a fact. Running the incredible Carlisle layout in the Dordogne last summer, the only locos which could take the prototype-length expresses were those built by Mike Edge and Graham Varley. I ran one EM-gauged Hornby Black Five and it would only handle a short (LarryGoddard-built, and very beautiful) train.

It seems to me then, that if one cannot build loco-kits (and not being able to do is no criticism) then rejoice in the latest RTR motive power, but live with 'only' being able to run shorter trains - most folk do, anyway, because they don't have the space. As I've said many times, there is great merit in personally modifying/detailing/renumbering/renaming/weathering RTR stock, provided one does it oneself. And, speaking in rejoicing in what the RTR boys offer; at the Donny Show, a mate bought a brand-new Hornby K1 for under £80.00! What price a kit for the same? No chance! However, that's another story.

I had to sort out a couple of kit-built locos in my role as 'Loco Doctor' at Doncaster. Both had typical problems, including a stray short here and there off the brake gear and the inside of the cylinders. All were cured, by gentle tweaking, re-soldering and a dab of expoxy. Tight motor-fixing was cured by fibre washers and a bit of filing. The owners went away very happy, having given very generously to Cancer Research. In fact, Mo and I collected over £100.00 for CR, so thanks to all who contributed so generously, including one wonderful chap who handed over £15.00 quid just for a diagnosis from Mike Edge and me. A friend bet me £20.00 that I couldn't fix his loco. He lost! His Dad has the dreaded 'Big C', so the note was handed over with real gratitude. Thanks Steve.

I fixed umpteen RTR locos, apart from a pair of N Gauge items. How does one get inside these things? I even repaired a piece of RTR valve gear - thank goodness for lace pins. 

May I please thank all those with whom I chatted? So many were really complimentary about the MRJ article, and so interested in what I was making. Yet again, I had many requests as to 'How much is that?' with reference to what I had on display or 'How much do you charge?' There was disappointment when I said they're not for sale or I no longer do commissions. Is this situation more symptomatic of the hobby in some ways today?  'Older' guys who are time/cash 'rich' but can't do things for themselves? If so, I hope they find folk who'll do their modelling for them but, in my opinion, they'll never be really fulfilled in the hobby. 

May I also apologise to those who must have thought me incredibly rude at times? I chatted to so many, caught others' eyes, never properly said 'hello' or, more importantly, 'goodbye'. I looked up and some had gone. The front of my stand was packed on many occasions.

I must also say I very big thank you to those who bought the models I had for sale on behalf of widows/bereaved families? 10% of those sales went to CR as well. 

I thought the Donny Show was excellent. A good mix, well organised and 'bouncing' at times; surely a good barometer for the future of the hobby? 

My highlight of the show was, selfishly, Bob Dawson handing over the pair of station cottages he's just finished for me. The price? Very little money and the taking of some more pictures for his Portfolio. Horse-trading really works, I assure you.

attachicon.gifstation cottages 01.jpg

attachicon.gifstation cottages 04.jpg

Here they are in situ, though they've yet to be properly bedded-down and the groundwork complete. Aren't they lovely? Aren't I lucky? 

attachicon.gifBob Dawson cottages 01.jpg

attachicon.gifBob Dawson street buildings 01.jpg

Bob, with his grandson, Scott, had these buildings as part of their display. 

attachicon.gifmy stand.jpg

This was my display. No Brits this time, but a V2 or two. 

If I had any 'success' over the weekend (other than fixing things and raising money for CR) it was in encouraging folk to have a go themselves. I've lost count of the number of times I've exhorted folk to do their own modelling, by whatever means, however 'humble'. Many walked off with lists including temperature-controlled irons, flux, solder and various hand tools. Go for it!

Finally, may I please thank, once more, all those lovely people who've said (with great generosity) that they're so glad to see me back on the circuit? You all have no idea how important that is to me.

Tony

Yes it was indeed a very good show, the only thing being that i returned to Scotland several £££'s worse off but, but with more projects to keep my hands occupied. I was hoping to come over and say hello but was kept busy operating Newcastleton most of the time but there is always the Glasgow show time permitting. It was nice having your 60538 running on Newcastleton for the show, a welcome temporary addition to the roster and the loco ran faultlessly.

The new buildings for little bytham look lovely and, im sure im not the only one who looks to see further progress on your project.

Gary Patterson

Tony

Yes it was indeed a very good show, the only thing being that i returned to Scotland several £££'s worse off but, but with more projects to keep my hands occupied. I was hoping to come over and say hello but was kept busy operating Newcastleton most of the time but there is always the Glasgow show time permitting. It was nice having your 60538 running on Newcastleton for the show, a welcome temporary addition to the roster and the loco ran faultlessly.

The new buildings for little bytham look lovely and, im sure im not the only one who looks to see further progress on your project.

Gary Patterson

Thanks Gary,

It's interesting that 60538 is a modified RTR loco, not a kit-built one. It's a renumbered/renamed/detailed/weathered Bachmann A2 with much added weight (as much as I could get in) to improve adhesion. What length of train did it haul, please? 

Edited by Tony Wright

May I ask where they originated? Would it have been some WR midland area special?

Phil

0730hrs Sheffield-Retford-Cleethorpes/ 1238hrs Cleethorpes-Doncaster/1655hrs Doncaster- Sheffield core set was GWR stock 

This was a regular diagram for GWR stock

Also on the subject of coaches:-

10/1970 E9115     Kings Cross-Cleethorpes LNER Buffet Cars   E9129     Grimsby-Blackpool excursion       E9132     Hawich-Manchester      

1960s     11 Bulleid Open Second coaches transferred to the Eastern Region         Coach     Withdrawn             1467      9/67               1469      4/69 Preserved             1470      1/69               1472      ?/66               1474      4/66               1480      ?/??               1486      ?/66               1490      7/67               1491      ?/??               1499      ?/66               1505     post 9/67        

Thanks Gary,

It's interesting that 60538 is a modified RTR loco, not a kit-built one. It's a renumbered/renamed/detailed/weathered Bachmann A2 with much added weight (as much as I could get in) to improve adhesion. What length of train did it haul, please?

Tony

I have done the same with my A2's and A3's also, adding lead shot and sheet everywhere it will fit. Going from memory the loco was first put on a 5 coach stopper and for a couple of laps it was also on my fast fitted goods in place of my 60100 which is 30 heavy vans. So not too bad at all, i compared the weights of the two loco's (my spearmint began life as a railroad flying scotsman) and the weight of the two was about the same. Ive had my 60100 hauling 50+ vans on Newcastleton at the club quite happily so i would think that your 60538 should be able to handle the same.

I include a shot of my much modified loco during test running after being converted from A1 to A3.

post-10572-0-65090700-1487027133_thumb.jpg

Gary

Edited by kingfisher24
  • Like 17

Did you have to add extra weight for the loco to haul the 50+ vans and how much weight was required please.

Haha now your asking - to be honest i haven't actually weighed the loco since I modified and converted it all i know is that its a good bit heavier than a regular A1 or A3. Mind having said that i think that the railroad gresley and peppercorn pacifics are in some ways BETTER than the "full fat" locos as with the "ff" locos, the rear cartazzi frames etc are a plastic moulding, whereas, on the railroad models the rear frames are cast metal and part of the chassis proper which in my experience give the loco more weight where its needed. If you have a railroad pacific and a full fat all the frills loco, turn them upside down and you'll see what i mean.

Gary

0730hrs Sheffield-Retford-Cleethorpes/ 1238hrs Cleethorpes-Doncaster/1655hrs Doncaster- Sheffield core set was GWR stock 

This was a regular diagram for GWR stock  

That rings a bell.  There was a diagram that took [G]WR stock from Gloucester to Sheffield.  I looked this up for another RMwebber a few years back.

Found it.  5.15 pm SX Sheffield to Gloucester.  In summer 1961, in addition to six WR coaches that had formed the 7.54 am from Worcester and the 6.10 pm from York there was at least one Eastern Region coach at the front which was hitching a ride to Weston super Mare and a LM loco stores van from Derby to Bristol.  There were four sets in circuit, three belonging to the Western and one to the North Eastern.   Sadly there is no mention of Cleethorpes but it cannot be a coincidence!

Chris

That rings a bell. There was a diagram that took [G]WR stock from Gloucester to Sheffield. I looked this up for another RMwebber a few years back.

Found it. 5.15 pm SX Sheffield to Gloucester. In summer 1961, in addition to six WR coaches that had formed the 7.54 am from Worcester and the 6.10 pm from York there was at least one Eastern Region coach at the front which was hitching a ride to Weston super Mare and a LM loco stores van from Derby to Bristol. There were four sets in circuit, three belonging to the Western and one to the North Eastern. Sadly there is no mention of Cleethorpes but it cannot be a coincidence!

Chris

Hi Chris

How would this train have navigated its way through the West Midlands? Would it have gone through Snow Hill?

Thanks

David

• RMweb Premium

Hi Chris

How would this train have navigated its way through the West Midlands? Would it have gone through Snow Hill?

Thanks

David

Is this empty stock...   If so I would have thought On the Midland railway, Water Orton, through Saltley, up 'freight only' camp hill bank, over the GW at Bordesley to Kings Norton and off down to Gloucester

Edit...   I'm changing my mind..  if I knew how to delete a post I would.  I will watch with interest.

Andy

Dead simple answer, no rolling stock spare anywhere apart from a few charter companies who tend to be using it at weekends anyway

Having no reserve stock does seem to me to be cutting things very fine as far as passengers' trainsportation is concerned.

Bu possibly I'll be informed that it's all down to 'Costing.', 'Returns on equipment.' and other bean-counters' justifications - at times the Operating Depts. must be nigh on at their wits 'end for extra stock.

:locomotive:

• Like 1

Having no reserve stock does seem to me to be cutting things very fine as far as passengers' trainsportation is concerned.

Bu possibly I'll be informed that it's all down to 'Costing.', 'Returns on equipment.' and other bean-counters' justifications - at times the Operating Depts. must be nigh on at their wits 'end for extra stock.

Pretty much every day, let alone when something out of the ordinary happens

Bean Counting can be used to justify anything-I think the most obvious example is the Beeching Plan.  Over here in Australia, we have seen the local marine industry obliterated and local car manufacturing about to cease