Please use M,M&M only for topics that do not fit within other forum areas. All topics posted here await admin team approval to ensure they don't belong elsewhere.

Wright writes.....

• RMweb Premium

I have often wondered (well that is possibly an exaggeration, it isn't something that I really lose any sleep over) why "it's replacement" shouldn't have an apostrophe.

If the "house of Jim" is "Jim's house", why can't "the replacement of it" become "it's replacement"?

That does appear to have gone over the heads of the people (note I'm taking no apostrophic chances there).  But I like it anyway.

Chris

• RMweb Premium

May I ask a question, please?

As part of my writing about bridges on the ECML for BRILL (and many thanks to those who've answered my earlier questions) do the bricks/stones which make up the supports for an arched bridge have a special name? I know there's a keystone, but do the others have special names as well, especially those at the ends of the arches where they rest on the piers? 

Many thanks in anticipation. 

http://scotlandsoldestbridges.co.uk/_Media/application-2_med.png

Seen recently, in sunny Wiggin (Wigan)

In Thomas Cook's Window - Special offer 2 weeks in Grease £399

In a town centre pub - Boilt Ham sandwiches £3.00

Brit15

Most amusing............

Seen a couple of years ago on the back road between King's Lynn and Norwich, 'Deans Log's'. 

However, does it matter in the general scheme of things where the apostrophe is used or misused? Probably not, and I'm sure Dean sold umpteen logs. 

All that said, I was reading a review in a model railway mag from last year and found in the review 'it has been sat in a museum..........................' Really? I assume the author (who is on the staff) meant 'it has been sitting' or 'it sat'..................... Dumbing-down? Who knows? 

Anyway, this thread has aired this type of thing before. I personally dread my making a typo!

• RMweb Premium

Yo dudes......... "Its is the possessive form of it, meaning 'of it' (yes, we know that thanks). This is possibly why the difference between it's and its causes so many problems. Its, without an apostrophe, is a possessive form, where an apostrophe is usually required. It is similar to words like his and hers, neither of which needs an apostrophe."

Yea, the net thingy is yo bro bro.

Sad, I should have remembered that without looking it up.

However, I think there be a little flaw in that there explanation...........i.e. you wouldn't be saying hers clothes would you, but you could be saying the clothes were hers, thus the statement is correct for that ? However, you could say his clothes and the clothes are his.

I give up now as it is all about context ain't it?

Would one say the A3's tender is damaged or would it be better to say the tender of the A3 is damaged? I quite like the latter.

Phil's info service.

Edited by Mallard60022
  • Like 2

Chester would be a good 'un for biodiversity, but for the combination of biodiversity and intensity, plus a fairly model-friendly geography if you had about 60'x30' in 4mm, might I commend Bristol Lawrence Hill; 4 track main/relief lines, a busy yard, any GW standard gauge stock, any BR standard except 80xxx and 77xxx, a good deal of Southern including the Southern variants of BR standards, any WR diesel, D65xx, and 3H demu, any WR dmu.  Then, on the bridge carrying the Midland main line, every LMS type except pacifics and Garratt, a good amount of ex Midland, and B1s, every LMR diesel except D57xx and the Ivatt twins, and any LMR dmu that worked in the Birmingham area.  Don't look at me, I haven't got room in my tiny flat for it...

Tony is obviously content with LB as a big layout, and so he should be as it is a magnificent piece of work.  It shows the difference between a single mind's conception, no matter how many others are involved in it's making, and a club layout of a prototypical location on which there is inevitably a less disciplined approach to standards of construction, finish, and specifications.  It has a 'look' which I suppose is determined by lighting as well a conformity of painting and weathering methods, and a very convincing look it is, too!

Many thanks,

You are very kind. 

One thing Little Bytham doesn't suffer from is democracy. All the participants were hand-picked, so to speak. Education and being inclusive were never on the agenda. The best man for each job was appointed and he just got on with it. 

In many ways, I'm all for clubs building layouts where every member is encouraged to contribute as he/she can. I just don't belong to any like that, though I do give one-to-one tutorials in loco and stock construction.

You mention lighting. Bytham's lighting is white, uniform, plentiful and subdued. I take out too-deep shadows in my pictures by pulses of fill-in flash, set to low power. Everything is painted/finished in a limited palette; there are no garish colours. There are no garish colours used in the post picture-taking processing either. I hate the tendency nowadays for some published layouts to appear as if an 'atom bomb' has gone off in the vicinity. A personal view, of course. That's why I was so delighted with reproduction of the Bytham pictures in the MRJ. 

Regards,

Tony. 

Edited by Tony Wright
  • Like 3

• RMweb Premium

Many thanks,

You are very kind. 

One thing Little Bytham doesn't suffer from is democracy. All the participants were hand-picked, so to speak. Education and being inclusive were never on the agenda. The best man for each job was appointed and he just got on with it. 

In many ways, I'm all for clubs building layouts where every member is encouraged to contribute as he/she can. I just don't belong to any like that, though I do give one-to-one tutorials in loco and stock construction.

You mention lighting. Bytham's lighting is white, uniform, plentiful and subdued. I take out too-deep shadows in my pictures by pulses of fill-in flash, set to low power. Everything is painted/finished in a limited palette; there are no garish colours. There are no garish colours used in the post picture-taking processing either. I hate the tendency nowadays for some published layouts to appear as if an 'atom bomb' has gone off in the vicinity. A personal view, of course. That's why I was so delighted with reproduction of the Bytham pictures in the MRJ. 

Regards,

Tony. 

Sadly my layout does look as if an atom bomb has gone off in the vicinity, but that is because it is just a heap of mess.

However, Tony could you please just confirm what tubes you have in those shed ceiling lamps of yours? I'm not that happy with my loft lighting now that I have fitted defusers (more for protection of the tubes during construction).

Thank you,

Phil A. Ment 

• RMweb Premium

Thanks Andy,

That's exactly what I wanted. 

Isn't a thread like this a great resource? Because of my computer illiteracy (ignorance is bliss!) I wouldn't have the slightest idea how to access wikipedia. 

Am I unique in this respect?

For instance, although I have a ten-year old mobile phone, it's never switched on. I don't know its number because nobody calls me on it and I don't call anyone else.

I don't know how (nor want) to text.

I don't do Twitter.

I don't do Facebook.

I struggle with e-mail at times, because I prefer to write letters (by hand). After attending a course on how to use e-mail, I wrote a personal letter to the (drop-dead-gorgeous) tutor, thanking her for explaining it to me. 

Ebay is a total mystery.

So, thanks to all who've guided me through the 'perils' of modern technology.

Why do I prefer to remain ignorant? Because I have no wish to bump into street furniture as I walk along engrossed in twiddling with my phone. Because I find phones going off in public and private places intrusive in the extreme. A week ago, I attended the funeral of a dear old aunt. At the start of the service, the vicar requested that all mobile phones be switched off. What a rustling, bustling and bleeping took place as this request was followed. No only that, have you ever been in a pub or restaurant with friends/relations and a phone goes off? Instead of ignoring it, they ignore you, by answering it and either speaking into it or twiddling with it. Recently, I was in a pub enjoying a meal with my wife and two friends. A family on the adjacent table never spoke to each other the whole time. All four of them were looking at their phones, just grunting at the waitress as she took their orders. How rude! 

With regard to how this affects my attitude to modelling, it's really simple. I make my models by traditional means (metal/solder, etc) and I don't use electronics of any kind. 

Luddism is alive and well in LB!

Different people have different cut offs.

Fine with email, web browsing, etc but I hate the latest versions of Windows, and I accidentally sent pictures for work to my daughter through some mobile phone thing called whatsapp.

Ebay I am fine with, but online money (paypal) I now can't use as they have made it mobile telephone friendly, so entering with a normal keyboard or pasting in - broken.

When technology makes things more difficult it is broken.

You do get  a real appreciation of what people have to do when you write software for a living. Yes software writers do not follow latest trends, we can get left behind just like non computer people

• Like 1

• RMweb Premium

Most amusing Paul. Thanks for that.

One of an old friend's in-laws appears to always be on social media. She tells all her 'thousands' of friends what she's ordered if she's in a restaurant and then tells them if she liked it or not.

We meet up with my old friend and his wife about three times a year and speak on the phone about twice that. Neither he, his wife, my wife nor I care a jot about what we've had to eat on the numerous occasions between our meetings. We do when we meet up, but that's only between us.

I have a mobile phone for work, invaluable, but I do not like them.

HOWEVER.

it is a good clock and great for telephoning people when you are not near a normal telephone.

• RMweb Gold

Yo dudes......... "Its is the possessive form of it, meaning 'of it' (yes, we know that thanks). This is possibly why the difference between it's and its causes so many problems. Its, without an apostrophe, is a possessive form, where an apostrophe is usually required. It is similar to words like his and hers, neither of which needs an apostrophe."

Yea, the net thingy is yo bro bro.

Sad, I should have remembered that without looking it up.

However, I think there be a little flaw in that there explanation...........i.e. you wouldn't be saying hers clothes would you, but you could be saying the clothes were hers, thus the statement is correct for that ? However, you could say his clothes and the clothes are his.

I give up now as it is all about context ain't it?

Would one say the A3's tender is damaged or would it be better to say the tender of the A3 is damaged? I quite like the latter.

Phil's info service.

Her clothes.  Otherwise the male equivalent would he his's clothes. 

Edited by The Johnster

• RMweb Gold

Thanks Andy,

That's exactly what I wanted. 

Isn't a thread like this a great resource? Because of my computer illiteracy (ignorance is bliss!) I wouldn't have the slightest idea how to access wikipedia. 

Am I unique in this respect?

For instance, although I have a ten-year old mobile phone, it's never switched on. I don't know its number because nobody calls me on it and I don't call anyone else.

I don't know how (nor want) to text.

I don't do Twitter.

I don't do Facebook.

I struggle with e-mail at times, because I prefer to write letters (by hand). After attending a course on how to use e-mail, I wrote a personal letter to the (drop-dead-gorgeous) tutor, thanking her for explaining it to me. 

Ebay is a total mystery.

So, thanks to all who've guided me through the 'perils' of modern technology.

Why do I prefer to remain ignorant? Because I have no wish to bump into street furniture as I walk along engrossed in twiddling with my phone. Because I find phones going off in public and private places intrusive in the extreme. A week ago, I attended the funeral of a dear old aunt. At the start of the service, the vicar requested that all mobile phones be switched off. What a rustling, bustling and bleeping took place as this request was followed. No only that, have you ever been in a pub or restaurant with friends/relations and a phone goes off? Instead of ignoring it, they ignore you, by answering it and either speaking into it or twiddling with it. Recently, I was in a pub enjoying a meal with my wife and two friends. A family on the adjacent table never spoke to each other the whole time. All four of them were looking at their phones, just grunting at the waitress as she took their orders. How rude! 

With regard to how this affects my attitude to modelling, it's really simple. I make my models by traditional means (metal/solder, etc) and I don't use electronics of any kind. 

Luddism is alive and well in LB!

I do Wikipedia, and browser searches, also email and texting.  But I don't trust Facebook or Twitter, and Ebay is a mystery not just in it's operation but in what the ^%*@ it's for.  I don't care how cheap you might be able to get somebody else's rubbish, if I've got to wait or check back to see what's going on it's too much bother...

And it bothers me when people state that they have 'won' something on Ebay; how have you won when you paid more than anyone else was willing to?  It's an auction, but takes place at the speed of continental drift, so you also lost time you could have spent with your kids, or up the pub, or with your girlfriend, or even modelling, you deluded loser....

Rant over.

• Like 2

• RMweb Gold

I think I discovered today why the railway companies used photographic grey livery to display their latest Works' creations:

attachicon.gifDSC_5077.jpg

Brass kits look a lot better in etch primer than when naked!

Oh, I don't know, there wasn't anything wrong with that in the raw, and there have been many other models on the forum which looked well in the buff, IMHO, there's a certain quality in unpainted brass. Sometimes even the bare etches look too good to start to build.

Mike.

• RMweb Premium

Changing the subject somewhat from the erudite discussion of the finer points of English grammar, here is a picture and question about my latest modelling project. I am trying to produce a d.161/162 twin SLC of which only two were built in 1932. While a slightly esoteric subject, they were more or less ever present in the Aberdonian formation from the 1930s to the late 1950s, and I'm trying to model this train in full. AFAIK there is no kit of this diagram, so I'm trying to kit bash Kirk sleeper kits to form the sides. I think I've made reasonable progress with one side as in the first two photos below (although they will need a lot of fettling).

I'm stuck with the other side as the diagram doesn't show this side and the only photo I can find (p115 of Gresley's Coaches by Harris) is also of the same side as shown in the diagram. I've had a go at producing diagrams of the other side (based on the window spacing and educated guesswork) which I've shown in the bottom photo below. I'd welcome any comments on my attempted diagrams, or better still, does anyone know of any pictures of 'the other side'?

Thanks

Andy

post-19760-0-45794100-1487369204_thumb.jpg

post-19760-0-29789600-1487369223_thumb.jpg

post-19760-0-17689100-1487369249_thumb.jpg

• Like 2

• RMweb Premium

You can actually arrange to borrow this through the Library Service (what is left of that service). It took about a week to get mine through a couple of years back. Not wishing to spoil someone's sales, but it is quite expensive.

Phil 

I got a copy for a tenner from the Bluebell Railway shop just before Christmas. Perhaps worth giving them a call?

• RMweb Premium

Oh, I don't know, there wasn't anything wrong with that in the raw, and there have been many other models on the forum which looked well in the buff, IMHO, there's a certain quality in unpainted brass. Sometimes even the bare etches look too good to start to build.

Mike.

Hi Mike

I like that excuse for not starting kits. :good: