Please use M,M&M only for topics that do not fit within other forum areas. All topics posted here await admin team approval to ensure they don't belong elsewhere.

Wright writes.....

• RMweb Gold

Tony,

LB looks superb.Even though others have contributed, you really should take credit for having the vision to get it to the stage that it is.

Edited by 96701

• RMweb Gold

I've just remembered the book 'Day of the Holiday Express'. I seem to remember it was more about the huge logistical efforts required rather than giving finite detail about stock, staff and loco use. I must try and find it and give it another read. I also think it was more about the west of England services?

Phil 

That one specifically covers the WR West of England mainline on 9 July 1960.  'MainLines To the West' covers both the WR and SR routes and is an interesting read.

Tony

If you view LB as an orchestral work then you have been the conductor. It looks superb and a credit to all concerned. One of the present "greats" you did not mention must be Roy Jackson who is also involved in a magnum opus with Retford. Sadly we do not hear too much about it and I for one would love to see more. They say a model is never finished but you are I reckon 90% there so perhaps it is time for refining the rolling stock and the operating sequence. You could make the LB signalman really sweat for his session if the bell codes were instituted!

Thank you for sharing it all with us.

Martin Long

• Like 1

Tony,

LB looks superb.Even though others have contributed, you really should take credit for having the vision to get it to the stage that it is.

That's very kind of you Phil.

That said, unless the contribution of others is acknowledged, then it isn't fair. 

As for a 'vision', don't we all have that with regard to the kind of layout we want? I think I'm more than happy with the way LB has turned (is turning) out. I'm principally happy because the number of compromises have been restricted to just a few. Thus, the objectives have (are being) achieved. These objectives comprise (though it's by no means exhaustive). 

1. The available space to model a prototype ECML location (not made-up) without too much compression, particularly with regard to how the main lines go on/offstage (on the straight) and also to ensure the depiction has 'space to breath' by also not compromising on the width. 

2. Enough space to run scale-length trains with no compromises on the passenger sets. However, I cannot accommodate 60-wagon rakes, only 50. 

3. The desire to make/modify just about everything among ourselves, either individually or collectively, principally by the old-fashioned process of bartering. 

4. To ensure that there is a self-reliance among the group.

5. By conducting extensive research so that the model as a whole and in its various parts are as 'accurate' as possible. 

6. By not compromising on using too-tight radii as a consequence of trying to cram too much in in the fiddle yard, then good, reliable running is assured (though not absolute). 

7. As a clarification of Nos.3 and 4, to make just about all the locomotives myself and to take full responsibility as to how they look, how they work, how powerful they are and how reliable they are.

8. To devise an operating sequence which is both interesting and enjoyable, particularly to visitors.

9. When I photograph it, to try and get as realistic views as possible, particularly in comparison with prototype pictures.

10. To make the electrical side as simple, reliable and understandable as possible (to me); thus analogue.  

Others will have equally valid, if different imperatives. Others might have even more important ones.

I claim no great credit for 'devising' the above list - it just evolved logically. 

Edited by Tony Wright
  • Like 5

Tony

If you view LB as an orchestral work then you have been the conductor. It looks superb and a credit to all concerned. One of the present "greats" you did not mention must be Roy Jackson who is also involved in a magnum opus with Retford. Sadly we do not hear too much about it and I for one would love to see more. They say a model is never finished but you are I reckon 90% there so perhaps it is time for refining the rolling stock and the operating sequence. You could make the LB signalman really sweat for his session if the bell codes were instituted!

Thank you for sharing it all with us.

Martin Long

Once again Martin, many thanks. 

I could (should) have mentioned Roy Jackson's magnificent Retford, but, although Roy has done most of the work with regard to the baseboards, track, wiring, hardware, locos and rolling stock, much has been done (and is being done) by other individuals as well, working as part of a team. 

• Like 1

May I ask a question, please?

As part of my writing about bridges on the ECML for BRILL (and many thanks to those who've answered my earlier questions) do the bricks/stones which make up the supports for an arched bridge have a special name? I know there's a keystone, but do the others have special names as well, especially those at the ends of the arches where they rest on the piers? 

Many thanks in anticipation. 

As part of my writing about bridges on the ECML for BRILL (and many thanks to those who've answered my earlier questions) do the bricks/stones which make up the supports for an arched bridge have a special name? I know there's a keystone, but do the others have special names as well, especially those at the ends of the arches where they rest on the piers? 

Tony, there is a useful drawing in Jack Nelson's LNWR Portrayed, figure 10-3.  It looks like the description you need is "abutment", but there is an additional un-named row or rows of brick or stone on top of the abutment as well.

• RMweb Premium

Hi Tony

Get a copy of Bridges for Modellers by L V Wood. All railway modellers should have this book.

• Like 1

Here you go Tony: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Arch

Andy G

Thanks Andy,

That's exactly what I wanted. 

Isn't a thread like this a great resource? Because of my computer illiteracy (ignorance is bliss!) I wouldn't have the slightest idea how to access wikipedia. 

Am I unique in this respect?

For instance, although I have a ten-year old mobile phone, it's never switched on. I don't know its number because nobody calls me on it and I don't call anyone else.

I don't know how (nor want) to text.

I don't do Twitter.

I don't do Facebook.

I struggle with e-mail at times, because I prefer to write letters (by hand). After attending a course on how to use e-mail, I wrote a personal letter to the (drop-dead-gorgeous) tutor, thanking her for explaining it to me. 

Ebay is a total mystery.

So, thanks to all who've guided me through the 'perils' of modern technology.

Why do I prefer to remain ignorant? Because I have no wish to bump into street furniture as I walk along engrossed in twiddling with my phone. Because I find phones going off in public and private places intrusive in the extreme. A week ago, I attended the funeral of a dear old aunt. At the start of the service, the vicar requested that all mobile phones be switched off. What a rustling, bustling and bleeping took place as this request was followed. No only that, have you ever been in a pub or restaurant with friends/relations and a phone goes off? Instead of ignoring it, they ignore you, by answering it and either speaking into it or twiddling with it. Recently, I was in a pub enjoying a meal with my wife and two friends. A family on the adjacent table never spoke to each other the whole time. All four of them were looking at their phones, just grunting at the waitress as she took their orders. How rude! 

With regard to how this affects my attitude to modelling, it's really simple. I make my models by traditional means (metal/solder, etc) and I don't use electronics of any kind. 

Luddism is alive and well in LB!

Edited by Tony Wright
  • Like 6

I was amused by a scene on a recent Brittany Ferry crossing.  Having been deprived of their mobile phone coverage for about 6 hours, the four occupants of the vehicle next to me, as we waited for the rush down the ramp and into the queue for immigration, all took out their smart phones and began using them to catch up with whatever it was they had been missing.  Not a word was spoken among them for the ten minutes or so we waited for the off.  I later found myself in line for immigration again alongside the same foursome.  They were still at it, driver included!

While looking for a suitable tripod clamp for my iPod Touch to make simple movies, I noted there is a clamp for attaching one's smart phone to a steering wheel!

Anyway, it is a bright dry sunny morning, so later on I shall be spray painting trains.  No, no!  Not graffiti!

I make my models by traditional means (metal/solder, etc) and I don't use electronics of any kind. 

I remember using one of them large copper tip irons you heat up on the old cast iron firegrate. I just couldn't get on with it, so fair dooos Tony; You're a good 'un.... :mosking:

Edited by coachmann
  • Like 2

I was amused by a scene on a recent Brittany Ferry crossing.  Having been deprived of their mobile phone coverage for about 6 hours, the four occupants of the vehicle next to me, as we waited for the rush down the ramp and into the queue for immigration, all took out their smart phones and began using them to catch up with whatever it was they had been missing.  Not a word was spoken among them for the ten minutes or so we waited for the off.  I later found myself in line for immigration again alongside the same foursome.  They were still at it, driver included!

While looking for a suitable tripod clamp for my iPod Touch to make simple movies, I noted there is a clamp for attaching one's smart phone to a steering wheel!

Anyway, it is a bright dry sunny morning, so later on I shall be spray painting trains.  No, no!  Not graffiti!

The steering wheel clamp is so that the surviving members of your family can witness your last moments, I presume?

I remember using one of them large copper tip irons you heat up on the old cast iron firegrate. I just couldn't get on with it, so fair dooos Tony; You're a good 'un.... :mosking:

Right again, Larry. 

I suppose a temperature-controlled iron is electronic, though mine has a knob to adjust the heat, not a digital read-out. My general soldering iron is just that - a 25 Watt electric one, definitely not electronic. 

Speaking of those old-fashioned soldering irons (I heated mine on the gas hob), I did build a lot of (crappy) models using one. I had tinman's solder, Baker's soldering fluid and bits of tinplate. My principal memory is of being flogged for burning a hole in the 'best room's' carpet! 

Edited by Tony Wright

Most amusing Paul. Thanks for that.

One of an old friend's in-laws appears to always be on social media. She tells all her 'thousands' of friends what she's ordered if she's in a restaurant and then tells them if she liked it or not.

We meet up with my old friend and his wife about three times a year and speak on the phone about twice that. Neither he, his wife, my wife nor I care a jot about what we've had to eat on the numerous occasions between our meetings. We do when we meet up, but that's only between us.

Edited by Tony Wright
  • Like 1

• RMweb Premium

Hi Tony

Get a copy of Bridges for Modellers by L V Wood. All railway modellers should have this book.

You can actually arrange to borrow this through the Library Service (what is left of that service). It took about a week to get mine through a couple of years back. Not wishing to spoil someone's sales, but it is quite expensive.

Phil 

Edited by Mallard60022

Well Tony, as LB is almost finished, time to start planning for it's replacement, what's it to be?, I'd go for the WCML this time, or maybe have a go at Chester.

Mike.

(Retreating rapidly into bunker)

Mike,

What is 'it is' replacement? I assume you mean its replacement (pedagogue hat on!!) 

I won't be replacing LB with anything, rather building another (much smaller) exhibition layout. I know your suggestions are made in jest (thanks for those) but the notion of building hundreds of locos and carriages for a WCML depiction is way, way beyond me now.

As for Chester, an interesting thought.  Was there any other location where one could have regularly seen (from the same vantage point - Brook Lane Bridge) every type of main line ex-LMS/BR locomotives (apart from the Scottish ones and things like the Garratts), every type of ex-GWR locomotives (apart from the Kings and some regional peculiarities), most types of non-RA9 ex-LNER locomotives (with the exception of anything Scottish, ex-NE and most GE types) and every type of BR Standard (apart from the 77xxxs and the WD 2-10-0s)? That's not to mention most of the various diesel types, including the main line WR hydraulics. We even had SR green carriages, though, sadly, never an SR loco. 

Oxford had motive power from all the four groups and the Standards, but in such variety? 

I've mentioned before that Kiveton Park is my putative new exhibition layout. That way, I don't have to build any locos and stock. 

Regards,

Tony. 

• Like 3

Speaking of Kiveton Park........................

I took these pictures a week ago today, so there are still a few bits standing. 

post-18225-0-21653300-1487340247_thumb.jpg

The first time I boarded a train here, it was being hauled by a wheezing D11, YPRES, and it took us to Retford. 

post-18225-0-76057000-1487340249_thumb.jpg

Looking towards Shireoaks. There used to be a banner repeater for the nearer line and a bracket home guarding the crossing for trains to Sheffield. 

Does anyone have any pictures of KP from the '50s/early-'60s, please? 

• Like 2

I have been building coaches for a 4mm/00 'Chester General' layout for some years. As Tony knows, the large 'Carlisle' also has a few. The new system of magnets beneath the track is being adopted on 'Chester' to assist haulage, nevertheless, I have been working on lightening etched brass carriages for some time now. The first items to ditch were cast whitemetal bogies and ends.

Edited by coachmann

• RMweb Premium

I have often wondered (well that is possibly an exaggeration, it isn't something that I really lose any sleep over) why "it's replacement" shouldn't have an apostrophe.

If the "house of Jim" is "Jim's house", why can't "the replacement of it" become "it's replacement"?

• Like 1

I have often wondered (well that is possibly an exaggeration, it isn't something that I really lose any sleep over) why "it's replacement" shouldn't have an apostrophe.

If the "house of Jim" is "Jim's house", why can't "the replacement of it" become "it's replacement"?

It's quite simple, Tony. 

'Its', without the apostrophe, is the possessive. 

'It's', with the apostrophe is the contraction of 'it is'.

So, by writing 'it's replacement', one is actually writing 'it is replacement', which, in the context, is nonsense. 

However, when did the rules of grammar ever make real sense? 

• Like 2

• RMweb Gold

Chester would be a good 'un for biodiversity, but for the combination of biodiversity and intensity, plus a fairly model-friendly geography if you had about 60'x30' in 4mm, might I commend Bristol Lawrence Hill; 4 track main/relief lines, a busy yard, any GW standard gauge stock, any BR standard except 80xxx and 77xxx, a good deal of Southern including the Southern variants of BR standards, any WR diesel, D65xx, and 3H demu, any WR dmu.  Then, on the bridge carrying the Midland main line, every LMS type except pacifics and Garratt, a good amount of ex Midland, and B1s, every LMR diesel except D57xx and the Ivatt twins, and any LMR dmu that worked in the Birmingham area.  Don't look at me, I haven't got room in my tiny flat for it...

Tony is obviously content with LB as a big layout, and so he should be as it is a magnificent piece of work.  It shows the difference between a single mind's conception, no matter how many others are involved in it's making, and a club layout of a prototypical location on which there is inevitably a less disciplined approach to standards of construction, finish, and specifications.  It has a 'look' which I suppose is determined by lighting as well a conformity of painting and weathering methods, and a very convincing look it is, too!

• RMweb Gold

It's been a long time but wasn't there a bible of English language usage by a man named Fowler?  Does it still exist in these days of dumbing down everything?

Wot u meen, dumin down, innit.  Marys piper potatoe's 40p/keelo, chow mane in a taray, both seen in my local shops recently...