Please use M,M&M only for topics that do not fit within other forum areas. All topics posted here await admin team approval to ensure they don't belong elsewhere.

Wright writes.....

• RMweb Premium

I know what you mean about copyright. I have a non-copyright disc purchased in the days when I made railway videos, but the musak is mind numbingly arpeggio. Today I would simply record my own compositions on keyboard but again it wouldn't be everyone's cuppa. Classical is often a good choice so long as its not with two violins and a flute, or worse, bagpipes...

Isn't the definition of a gentleman someone who can play the bagpipes but doesn't?

• Like 2

Hi Tony

To add to your post. Barrier wagons are required for silver/grey tank wagons with a red solbar as this indicates a low flash point. Black wagons carry products that have a high flash point and therefore safer do not require a barrier wagon. Most high flash point products are "dirty" hence the use of black wagons. Most low flash point products are "clean" hence the lighter coloured tanks. Diesel is a high flash point fuel but is an oddity as it is "clean" and can be carried in grey tank wagons or black ones. Diesel tanks do not require barrier wagons. Crude oil is a "dirty" fuel with a low flash point. It is transported in grey wagons with a red solbar which are easily identified as they are very heavily weathered. It does require barrier wagons.

Have waffled on about barrier wagons at some point in time, the 70s or 80s the need for barrier wagons was discontinued as modern tank wagons had much better sealing valves. Need to consult a "modern image" modeller for the date.

As for chemical tanks, I ain’t got a clue.

Yes, crude oil has to be treated as a low - flashpoint liquid, as it contains all the fractions which go to make the refined products; at least that was what I was told when I joined BP!

• Like 2

• RMweb Premium

A bit more regarding diesel travelling in grey/silver or A class tank wagons.

This was not a common practice until the late 1960s. Because the bottom valves on the earlier tank wagons were not reliable A class tank wagons were not fitted bottom valves but the fuel was syphoned from a top discharge pipe. With the more modern valves fitted to the "newer" tank wagons of the late 50s early 60s bottom discharge valves were allowed. Diesel being a high flash point fuel was delivered in black or B class tanks fitted with bottom valves. The diesel customers unloading was set up for bottom discharge, so not until the 1960s were grey tanks used for transporting diesel as many customers would not been able to unload their consignment. 

So for Tony's period (and those who model an earlier one) a model train with A class, grey/silver, tanks would have barrier wagons either side and when empty. An empty tank wagon is full of the fumes from its last load, it is not the petrol that goes bang but the fumes.

For my period (mid 60s) I can run vacuum fitted A class tank wagons without a barrier wagon and claim they have diesel on board. Other low flashpoint products need a barrier as do unfitted wagons.

Those who model later periods only need barrier wagons for strange chemical products.

• RMweb Gold

So for Tony's period (and those who model an earlier one) a model train with A class, grey/silver, tanks would have barrier wagons either side and when empty. An empty tank wagon is full of the fumes from its last load, it is not the petrol that goes bang but the fumes.

On a point of pedantry (which was incorporated into the Dangerous Goods Instructions at some stage) a tank car which has been unloaded is (was?) classified as 'discharged' and was still regarded in the same way as a loaded vehicle because of the fumes and the dangers you drew attention to.  An 'empty' tank car is a very different beast as it only counts as 'empty' if it has been purged and there are no fumes present and it has therefore ceased to present a hazard.

• Like 2

• RMweb Gold

Many thanks, Jerry.

An interesting question as to how many GWR locos I've built. Trawling through my disintegrating memory to recall a list, let's see; in no particular order............

A Jamieson/scratch-built County 4-6-0, two Alan Gibson Buffaloes, a Wills King, SE Finecast 61XX, Sutherland/Cotswold 47XX, Little Engines ROD (altered from a GC sort), PDK 72XX, a pair of K's 28XXs, a Redcraft Brecon & Merthyr 0-6-0ST (which became GWR), Wills Metro, K's 45XX, DJH Hall, some weird outside-framed 2-6-0 that someone else had had a go at (origin unknown) plus replacement chassis underneath various Panniers, 0-6-2Ts, 2-6-0s, Counties, Castles and Kings; either to EM Gauge or because the originals were noisy duds. Not many, really, though there could be a few more.

That's a pretty impressive line up Tony and far more than I expected although I suspect, as a percentage of the total number of locos you've built, its pretty small.

My own total of locos from the east side amounts to just three, only one of which is mine and even that is tenuous being one of the Mid Suffolk Light's Hudswell Clarkes - well they were absorbed into the LNER! She runs on Tucking Mill as the the North North Somerset Light's 'Holly', named after my eldest daughter.

post-1074-0-28246400-1407451857_thumb.jpg

Jerry

• Like 12

• RMweb Gold

Many thanks, Jerry.

An interesting question as to how many GWR locos I've built. Trawling through my disintegrating memory to recall a list, let's see; in no particular order............

A Jamieson/scratch-built County 4-6-0, two Alan Gibson Buffaloes, a Wills King, SE Finecast 61XX, Sutherland/Cotswold 47XX, Little Engines ROD (altered from a GC sort), PDK 72XX, a pair of K's 28XXs, a Redcraft Brecon & Merthyr 0-6-0ST (which became GWR), Wills Metro, K's 45XX, DJH Hall, some weird outside-framed 2-6-0 that someone else had had a go at (origin unknown) plus replacement chassis underneath various Panniers, 0-6-2Ts, 2-6-0s, Counties, Castles and Kings; either to EM Gauge or because the originals were noisy duds. Not many, really, though there could be a few more.

This doesn't count as one of Tony's GWR engines but it was partly built under his supervision, at a Missenden Abbey weekend back in 2006. I started with the unopened Comet parts on the Friday evening and had assembled the basic rolling chassis by the end of the weekend, as well as soldering up the coupling and connecting rods.

I don't know if Tony remembers, but I managed to solder the bearings in on the wrong side of one of the chassis halves - stupidly, I'd done exactly the same thing with the previous loco chassis I built - but Tony helped me unsolder the bearings, clean up the holes and re-solder them back into place. After much work on the chassis and the Lima body and tender parts, the loco is now a reliable and favorite runner, although I've still to add the balance weights to the drivers. The blue won't suit everyone but I've a great liking for this livery.

Thanks, Tony, for guiding me through the tricky bits.

blogentry-6720-0-62295700-1374603663.jpg

• Like 12

This doesn't count as one of Tony's GWR engines but it was partly built under his supervision, at a Missenden Abbey weekend back in 2006. I started with the unopened Comet parts on the Friday evening and had assembled the basic rolling chassis by the end of the weekend, as well as soldering up the coupling and connecting rods.

I don't know if Tony remembers, but I managed to solder the bearings in on the wrong side of one of the chassis halves - stupidly, I'd done exactly the same thing with the previous loco chassis I built - but Tony helped me unsolder the bearings, clean up the holes and re-solder them back into place. After much work on the chassis and the Lima body and tender parts, the loco is now a reliable and favorite runner, although I've still to add the balance weights to the drivers. The blue won't suit everyone but I've a great liking for this livery.

Thanks, Tony, for guiding me through the tricky bits.

blogentry-6720-0-62295700-1374603663.jpg

Thanks for the thanks, but I'm struggling to remember. My compliments on the splendid model, though.

I'm amazed I was invited back to Missenden year after year because I was quite insulting at times (you might have been one of the recipients). Yet, still, folk came back. They really were good times and I miss them terribly.

I think the worst case of my (really) 'losing my top' was at the summer school at the abbey in 2010, where a delightful chap was putting together a Comet chassis for a NE 0-6-0T. We'd jigged it all up, nice and square and the motor/gearbox was sweet as anything. The wheels were on and the pick-ups installed and all seemed well, so, on with the rods. Disaster - it just wouldn't run at all, the holes in the rods being far too tight. No matter, just broach them out a bit. A bit? I checked the rods against the wheel centres. Perfect. I tried 'elongating' the holes (to gross proportions), and it then ran. But, so badly - jerk, flop, jerk, flop; awful. I thought of making new rods (though what good would that have done?), then the penny dropped! Never make assumptions. Assumptions like assuming that 'everyone' knows Romford wheels must be quartered at 90 degrees (the lead is immaterial in this case). These were set to 180 degrees, making it impossible for it to work. Bad language, an apology, then a new set of rods and it was done.

Oh, those joys of once being a teacher. 

Edited by Tony Wright
  • Like 2

I have to thank you Tony for it was your dvds that helped me finish my wills j69 chassis 

so thank you very much . also i love the idea of the M&GN  loop . 

regards

James  

Classical is often a good choice so long as its not with two violins and a flute, or worse, bagpipes...

Apologies for belated response and prolongation of the digression into musical matters, but you'd be better off with heavy metal AND bagpipes as you remind yourself that It's a Long Way to the Top if you want to Rock and Roll.

• RMweb Gold

I'm amazed I was invited back to Missenden year after year because I was quite insulting at times (you might have been one of the recipients).

I think you compared my soldering to the work of a plumber (not without justification, I hasten to add), but other than that, I think I got off lightly.

There is a mention in post #1978 that "With a RTR Q6 proposed...".  Have I missed an important announcement from Hornby/Bachmann/Dapol or whomever or has a cat been let out of the bag?  I would love a RTR Q6 which would evoke fantastic memories for me of the end of steam in the Durham coalfields.  Can I start getting excited?

Quote - "These were set to 180 degrees, making it impossible for it to work. Bad language, an apology, then a new set of rods and it was done"

So pleased I haven't been the only one to do that!!!

You never told me about that one....  LOL

Dave Franks

• Like 2

• RMweb Premium

Quote - "These were set to 180 degrees, making it impossible for it to work. Bad language, an apology, then a new set of rods and it was done"

So pleased I haven't been the only one to do that!!!

Many moons ago I was in John Dutfield, Model Railways shop, here in Chelmsford. A guy came in demanding to see John and waving a kit loco he built, claiming it did work. :ireful: Heather, who now owns the shop, asked if she could help. No this guy wanted John, how could a mear woman help. Heather managed to stop the loco being waved about and took one look at. " It will never work the wheels need quartering".  A very red faced man then asked sheepishly, "How do I do that?" :blush:

He might well be one of the new names in the hobby eventually. I have a lot of time todays teenagers and 20-somethings. They're fun, respectful and their heads are screwed on............And I wish every new piece of electrical/computer/TV equipment came with one!  :sclerosis:

• Like 11

Hello Tony

Fantastic thread you have going, plenty of topics getting covered here....

Great to see you building a B16/1, is it a PDK kit?

Ive started scratch building a chassis for one & converting a DJH 16/3 to a B16/1

post-19016-0-43434700-1407537949_thumb.jpg

post-19016-0-74132800-1407538007_thumb.jpg

I'll try & cover it in some detail on my thread 'Chris-GNR work bench' at some point.

Many thanks

Chris

• Like 9