Please use M,M&M only for topics that do not fit within other forum areas. All topics posted here await admin team approval to ensure they don't belong elsewhere.

Wright writes.....

Many thanks Tony & Mo for a lovely day, playing trains with a bunch of good mates.

Things really don't get much better!

I can vouch for the quality of the running. Several hours of running trains and the only things that went wrong were human error "brown" faults, of switches and points not being set correctly. When I get round to downloading some photos, if any are good enough (thanks Tony for the kind and very subtle comments about my photographic skills), I will post one or two.

Tony G 

My thanks to you and all the marvellous mates for such an entertaining day.

Thanks, too, for the compliments about the running. I'm probably 'obsessive' about this, having seen so many layouts which just don't work properly. The faults, along with the excuses are legion and many are the occasions where nothing is/has been done about it. One could make a list of potential problems (these are irrespective of scale/gauge, though the finer the scale the less-forgiving it can be). These could be.....

Poor baseboard construction.

Poor track making/laying. This includes trying to cram too much in, resulting in uneven radii and dodgy joints.

Poor wiring.

Badly maintained or made stock. 

The list could go on, but if any (or all of these faults) are present then good running is impossible. I've described what I consider to be good running already but to reiterate - no derailments, no stuttering/stalling, no locos unable to pull trains and competent operation. The last-mentioned wasn't in the list above because it's more arbitrary, at least in terms of how it might improve. If your baseboards are dud, then they'll never improve, if your track isn't right rip it up, re-wire if necessary and sort out your stock.

I admit, incompetent operation (on my part usually) is the weak link on Little Bytham. As Tony alludes to, I have a sort of system where black marks are given if any of the faults are due to the layout/stock; this includes short-circuits/feed failure, derailments and stalling. Yesterday there were no black marks in three or so hours of fun (and at times, very fast) running, even with visiting DCC locos. There were a few brown marks which were operator error. No matter how good the wiring/locos, if a point/switch is set incorrectly they'll either be a short circuit or no power. There was a sort of 'dark-brown' mark where a loco just twitched on a crossing; it didn't derail or stall, just rocked a bit too much. Later investigation revealed a slightly tight back-to-back, since attended to.

Going back to 'excuses' for poor running, how many have you heard? 'It'll run-in in time', 'I'll fix it before the next show', 'the power is down', 'it never derails there', 'so and so can't have built it properly', 'it ran fine before you arrived' and so on and so on. One thing that does/did annoy me at shows is the 'returning' vehicle. By that I mean the one item of stock (or several) which always stalls/derails and what have you, when everything else works fine. Someone (quite rightly) takes it off and, lo and behold, on his return, the owner immediately re-instates it without any investigation. People are very precious about their stock. On the layouts I've been involved with there's been a 'ruthless' attitude to poor-running stock. Whoever built it is an irrelevance. If it's not right, it's off, and it's not back on until it's fixed, and seen to be fixed. 

• Like 9

Morning Tony,

Just like to add my thanks to Mo and yourself for the great day yesterday. Great fun and banter as always.

And yes, LB performed excellently as always.

As t-b-g said, playing trains with a great bunch of like minded mates is always a pleasure.

Pete

• Like 1

Thanks, too, for the compliments about the running. I'm probably 'obsessive' about this, having seen so many layouts which just don't work properly. The faults, along with the excuses are legion and many are the occasions where nothing is/has been done about it. One could make a list of potential problems (these are irrespective of scale/gauge, though the finer the scale the less-forgiving it can be). These could be.....

Poor track making/laying. This includes trying to cram too much in, resulting in uneven radii and dodgy joints.

Poor wiring.

The list could go on, but if any (or all of these faults) are present then good running is impossible. I've described what I consider to be good running already but to reiterate - no derailments, no stuttering/stalling, no locos unable to pull trains and competent operation. The last-mentioned wasn't in the list above because it's more arbitrary, at least in terms of how it might improve. If your baseboards are dud, then they'll never improve, if your track isn't right rip it up, re-wire if necessary and sort out your stock.

I admit, incompetent operation (on my part usually) is the weak link on Little Bytham. As Tony alludes to, I have a sort of system where black marks are given if any of the faults are due to the layout/stock; this includes short-circuits/feed failure, derailments and stalling. Yesterday there were no black marks in three or so hours of fun (and at times, very fast) running, even with visiting DCC locos. There were a few brown marks which were operator error. No matter how good the wiring/locos, if a point/switch is set incorrectly they'll either be a short circuit or no power. There was a sort of 'dark-brown' mark where a loco just twitched on a crossing; it didn't derail or stall, just rocked a bit too much. Later investigation revealed a slightly tight back-to-back, since attended to.

Going back to 'excuses' for poor running, how many have you heard? 'It'll run-in in time', 'I'll fix it before the next show', 'the power is down', 'it never derails there', 'so and so can't have built it properly', 'it ran fine before you arrived' and so on and so on. One thing that does/did annoy me at shows is the 'returning' vehicle. By that I mean the one item of stock (or several) which always stalls/derails and what have you, when everything else works fine. Someone (quite rightly) takes it off and, lo and behold, on his return, the owner immediately re-instates it without any investigation. People are very precious about their stock. On the layouts I've been involved with there's been a 'ruthless' attitude to poor-running stock. Whoever built it is an irrelevance. If it's not right, it's off, and it's not back on until it's fixed, and seen to be fixed. 

Good Afternoon Tony

You have very high standards indeed and rightfully so.

I am just at the stage of buying and constructing the first four 2'-0" x 4'-0" baseboards for my proposed layout of Haymarket 64B and your post above has just frightened the life out of me.

Best Regards

David

Edited by landscapes

• RMweb Premium

Edward,

The necessity of a barrier wagon was dictated by what was in the tank wagons. Obviously, noxious and poisonous loads (empty or not) would need them, as would low flash-point fuel products. Such vehicles were usually silver in colour and would have barriers. High flash-point products (crude oil) or non-noxious substances were carried in black or brown tanks, and did not need barrier wagons. The guys visiting from Leeds one day told me this, and I rearranged my trains accordingly.

Best wishes,

Tony.

Hi Tony

To add to your post. Barrier wagons are required for silver/grey tank wagons with a red solbar as this indicates a low flash point. Black wagons carry products that have a high flash point and therefore safer do not require a barrier wagon. Most high flash point products are "dirty" hence the use of black wagons. Most low flash point products are "clean" hence the lighter coloured tanks. Diesel is a high flash point fuel but is an oddity as it is "clean" and can be carried in grey tank wagons or black ones. Diesel tanks do not require barrier wagons. Crude oil is a "dirty" fuel with a low flash point. It is transported in grey wagons with a red solbar which are easily identified as they are very heavily weathered. It does require barrier wagons.

Have waffled on about barrier wagons at some point in time, the 70s or 80s the need for barrier wagons was discontinued as modern tank wagons had much better sealing valves. Need to consult a "modern image" modeller for the date.

As for chemical tanks, I ain’t got a clue.

• Like 1

I cannot comment of tank wagons, but I remember nuclear flasks ran in the local pick up goods from Mold Junction to Holyhead. Barrier wagons began to be used around 1979 when the flask became a train in its own right. Gunpowder too from Maentwrog Road had barrier wagons in the 1970's and 80's. As regards 'swingers', this title was also used for an additional or several additional coaches tagged onto the end of a passenger train as strengtheners. Typical would be an elderly pre-group non-corridor on the end of a corridor train. 

Edited by coachmann

Poor wiring.

Good Afternoon Tony

You have very high standards indeed and rightfully so.

I am just at the stage of buying and constructing the first four 2'-0" x 4'-0" baseboards for my proposed layout of Haymarket 64B and your post above has just frightened the life out of me.

Best Regards

David

My intention was not to frighten the life out of anyone (even if it might be slightly tongue in cheek), just to explain my attitude to what I consider to be good running. 

As an adjunct to the subject of good running, one dear friend has virtually abandoned kit-built locos because the ones he has (in most cases) don't work as well as RTR examples. With me, it's the opposite, but that's personal choice and how much I'm prepared to put in to ensure the locos I build 'go'.

But, it still comes down to enjoyment or that great word 'fun'. I can't enjoy my railway and have fun unless it runs properly. I think if you ask any modeller, it's much more enjoyable for them if things work well. If things are done properly at source, then it shouldn't be a problem, but then, perhaps I'm a zealot. 

• Like 2

• RMweb Gold

If you go to the east coast you have gone too far mate. Roy's just outside Gainsborough and is nearer the Trent than the sea.

Have a good day though as it is a nice train set.

Phil

Hi Phil,

for us, Salisbury is out east and the other side of the M4 is oop north :no:

No 2mm on this thread for a while so I thought I would share what's on my bench at the moment. It is from the east side albeit much further north than your normal fare - an ex - NE Q6 from one of Bob Jones' superb Fencehouses kits. I think I've built about as many ex LNER (or constituent) locos as Tony has GWR ones (I'm guessing not many!) and needless to say this one will have its running trials in Somerset before heading off to its native north east.

post-1074-0-50317800-1407353104_thumb.jpg

Jerry

• Like 4

• RMweb Premium

Rather appropriately there was an EMU Class on the SR Brighton Line that were nicknamed Swingers. I can't remember what Class it was now but I'm sure it was one of the old pre war stock similar to Nelsons? Dudders could tell us? I'm not going to web search Swingers to find out................ :nono:

P

Edited by Mallard60022

• RMweb Premium

Hi Phil,

No 2mm on this thread for a while so I thought I would share what's on my bench at the moment. It is from the east side albeit much further north than your normal fare - an ex - NE Q6 from one of Bob Jones' superb Fencehouses kits. I think I've built about as many ex LNER (or constituent) locos as Tony has GWR ones (I'm guessing not many!) and needless to say this one will have its running trials in Somerset before heading off to its native north east.

attachicon.gifIMG_0003a.jpg

Jerry

Jerry, I'm currently doing battle with a 7mm kit for a 1366 dock tank. I'm finding it quite fiddly - I have absolutely no idea how you build such great models in 2mm. Lots of respect heading your way!

some real miscreants there! (and some of them I know which is a bit of a concern!)

A quick question did they  try and regauge the layout while operating?

Baz

I'd looked at that picture and thought "somebody is missing". Now the penny has dropped. He must have stayed back at base to get on with building the P4 track..........

Having watched the video, I'm more determined than ever to get the 'room' within the garage finished. Deepcar is already in there but stored at the moment awaiting the 'walls'. There's no way I could now build my ideal layout so am quite happy to take Deepcar into semi-retirement, after all I've spent nearly half my life involved with it and the 'crew'

Little Bytham shows the ECML I remember but agree with the comment above about the 'music', I just turn it off and my mind adds the sound. Although the only 'true' east coast loco I own is an A1, my real allegiance in steam terms is the GC, I still look on these superb ECML layouts, LB, Grantham, Perterborough, etc. as like my spotting 'days out' 

I'll be trundling, if 80mph is trundling, along the up slow  (most likely) tomorrow morning waiting for a pacific to come roaring past only to get an HST or 91 and mk4s, ah well!

Lovely layout, excellent stock, just shows that practice, Leighford(sp?) Stoke Summit, etc makes perfect.

• Like 3

Little Bytham shows the ECML I remember but agree with the comment above about the 'music', I just turn it off and my mind adds the sound.

The point about the music has been mentioned before by another member. I simply couldn't upload it without music as there is a lot of talking in the background, which was required when taking direction from Tony. Although I in no means claim to be professional, I did want it to have a feel of a magazine video and tried to use music appropriate and most importantly Royalty Free.

I have in the past added steam effects, however I'm a picky and wouldn't be happy if the steam effects didn't match the wheel revolutions. 

I take the point about the music, it's rather twee I know, but I feel is better than a load of blokes talking over it. By all means turn the music off, I'm not offended in the slightest.

Edited by 2750
  • Like 1

Dubbed on music has to be treated with the same professionalism as the filming and editing if it is to complement the subject. Sadly, it is often an individual's choice and if he likes heavy metal then thats what you get. Now I am making no accusations against the filmmakers choice on here as at least it isn't heavy metal...  :D  The footage was steady and interesting.

Edited by coachmann

Dubbed on music has to be treated with the same professionalism as the filming and editing if it is to complement the subject. Sadly, it is often an individual's choice and if he likes heavy metal then thats what you get. Now I am making no accusations against the filmmakers choice on here as at least it isn't heavy metal...  :D  The footage was steady and interesting.

I think, I take that as a compliment Larry..... my own choice would be classical music (Bruckner and Mahler!), but that's not everyone's choice. I just try and do something that one, doesn't infringe copyright and two and somewhat reflects model railway videos and DVD (Right Track DVDs) and in the video I made, somewhat similar to the Stoke Video produced some years ago.

Edited by 2750

I think, I take that as a compliment Larry..... my own choice would be classical music (Bruckner and Mahler!), but that's not everyone's choice. I just try and do something that one, doesn't infringe copyright and two and somewhat reflects model railway videos and DVD (Right Track DVDs) and in the video I made, somewhat similar to the Stoke Video produced some years ago.

I know what you mean about copyright. I have a non-copyright disc purchased in the days when I made railway videos, but the musak is mind numbingly arpeggio. Today I would simply record my own compositions on keyboard but again it wouldn't be everyone's cuppa. Classical is often a good choice so long as its not with two violins and a flute, or worse, bagpipes...

Edited by coachmann

I guess you don't want any violin lessons Larry (my profession)! :lol:

I have in the past purchased Royalty Free Classical Music of orchestral performances, for around £25 a track. Sadly the youtube filters couldn't differentiate between the Royalty Free, and orchestral performances produced by the likes of Sony and EMI and claimed I was using their performances.

I now use the music by Kevin MacLeod which you hear in the LB video because I'm sure I can use it without any issues.

• RMweb Gold

Rather appropriately there was an EMU Class on the SR Brighton Line that were nicknamed Swingers. I can't remember what Class it was now but I'm sure it was one of the old pre war stock similar to Nelsons? Dudders could tell us? I'm not going to web search Swingers to find out................ :nono:

P

Doesn't ring a bell with me - but then enthusiast names don't always permeate the industry itself. I never heard a railwayman call a DEMU a thumper. The leading corridor connector on any of the many Nelson units would swing about violently at the slightest provocation, so that seems a likely candidate. But - hey - let's not pollute this thread with Southern EMUs!

• RMweb Premium

P

May be a 4 COR, look up the thread on the scratch built one by Colin Parks.

I'd much prefer heavy metal, well classic rock anyhow, after all, isn't that what we're portraying? Not a light railway in sight :jester:  

I don't tend to watch a lot of the commercially available videos for the same reason. 

I have  a few superb DVDs shot mostly around the east midlands, with a decent bias towards the GC around Nottingham. No 'music'  no sound effects, just the sound of a cine projector running, even then I mostly turn that off. 

I also take the point about mismatched sound effects, Mostly they don't match. One regular 'howler' to me, is the sound of a whistle dubbed on when the safety valves lift :nono:

Anyway, I don't wish to take anything away from the superb modelling and filming with my personal preferences.

• RMweb Premium

But, it still comes down to enjoyment or that great word 'fun'. I can't enjoy my railway and have fun unless it runs properly. I think if you ask any modeller, it's much more enjoyable for them if things work well. If things are done properly at source, then it shouldn't be a problem, but then, perhaps I'm a zealot.

I wouldn't call that being a zealot, but rather, practical and sensible. After all why spend money, time, and effort, on something that isn't going to be reliable for 100% of the time, or at least as close as you can get. Otherwise, if all you want is pretty, then static models are better to make, but nowhere near the fun/pleasure to operate nor to watch moving.

Izzy

Hi Phil,

attachicon.gifIMG_0003a.jpg

Jerry

Many thanks, Jerry.

An interesting question as to how many GWR locos I've built. Trawling through my disintegrating memory to recall a list, let's see; in no particular order............

A Jamieson/scratch-built County 4-6-0, two Alan Gibson Buffaloes, a Wills King, SE Finecast 61XX, Sutherland/Cotswold 47XX, Little Engines ROD (altered from a GC sort), PDK 72XX, a pair of K's 28XXs, a Redcraft Brecon & Merthyr 0-6-0ST (which became GWR), Wills Metro, K's 45XX, DJH Hall, some weird outside-framed 2-6-0 that someone else had had a go at (origin unknown) plus replacement chassis underneath various Panniers, 0-6-2Ts, 2-6-0s, Counties, Castles and Kings; either to EM Gauge or because the originals were noisy duds. Not many, really, though there could be a few more.

post-18225-0-12612900-1407411840_thumb.jpg

Speaking of a Q6, here's a piece of antiquity indeed. Built from a Nu-Cast kit on a scratch-built chassis by Rob Kinsey and weathered by me, it was one of the 'Locos of Leighford' from the last century. With an RTR Q6 proposed, ancient (but very reliable runners) like this dear old thing will be superseded, but let's wait and see when the out-of-the-box Q6 actually appears.

post-18225-0-69592900-1407412840_thumb.jpg

Here's another of the same parentage/vintage, this time with no RTR equivalent on the horizon. Another Leighford loco, it still runs very well. Rob brought them over yesterday to give them a run; which they both did, and very well. In fact a few good friends arrived yesterday and they ran the railway with great fun (with just one brownish mark when an isolating switch was left on causing a free-running diesel to overshoot and foul another road!) 

Obviously, both the above locos are entirely inappropriate for LB (as they were for Stoke and Charwelton), so they are to be sold. Watch out on eBay or personal sales messages on this forum for forthcoming details.

post-18225-0-44259400-1407413253_thumb.jpg

One Leighford loco which won't be leaving Little Bytham is this O4/7. With both Charwelton and Stoke sold, Rob and I have horse-traded with regard to this one, for it's of no further use to him. He built and painted this Little Engines kit and I weathered it. There are several shots of the various ex-GC 2-8-0s taken at New England, so this one's on its way back to Colwick (though it really should be re-numbered so as not to be a Mexborough loco).

post-18225-0-16549600-1407413523_thumb.jpg

Another loco that is now a Bytham resident is New England's A2 HAPPY KNIGHT. More horse-trading has resulted in my acquisition of this (or will). It started life as a Crownline kit, which Rob started but got in a bit of a fuddle with. I finished it off, substituting a DJH A2 boiler for the lumpy resin thing, a DJH A2 tender top (the original Crownline one was way too fat), scratch-building the multiple-valve regulator gear, installing a proper motor/gearbox and erecting the motion and valve gear. Mr Rathbone painted it.

post-18225-0-42389600-1407413893_thumb.jpg

post-18225-0-12334400-1407413903_thumb.jpg

Regarding motor/gearboxes, here are the two latest chassis I'm making under layout testing. I'll leave observers to work out what these pair of 4-6-0s might be, but, please, watch this space for developments.

Edited by Tony Wright
  • Like 8