attachicon.gif2015-01-24 12.19.55.jpg

attachicon.gif2015-01-24 12.20.08.jpg

Clayton Type 1 Bo-Bo No D8500 brings a mixed freight southbound out of Rise Hill Tunnel and passes the station. The train will halt at Hellifield.

Don't you mean, the train will flail to a halt somewhere between here and Hellifield, and there will be much frantic arm waving & pointless yelling while a nice, working, steam engine is sought to drag the diseasle off to some quiet back corner for the fitter to "work" on the problem with a 20 lb sledge?

:)

James

• Like 4

• RMweb Premium

Wouldn't BMC old english white be a better colour? It's a tad more on the creamer side of white....

I seem to recall that a BR report on Paxman engines had them down as 'dirty and unreliable', and a couple of claytons had Rolls-Royce lumps instead. Strange to relate that the Paxman flat engines used in the Claytons was originally designed for use in railcars, allied to electric transmission. A test train was formed of two LMS non-corridor brake thirds (vans outwards with the cab in the ends) with the engines underfloor, driving a pair of ex-Watford EMU power bogies.

Andy G

• Like 1

Tatties, neeps, and good steak mince and onions in a pie are just as good, but don't mix and mash the tatties and neeps together like my wife did :nono:

Thought you were entering the pics in the latest postage stamp competition :jester:

Well Mick, the trouble is in the training, you can lead a horse to water but you can't make it drink. To top it all 'Pushy-AndrewP' is dropping hints about VIDEO!

I can't even master the simplest of tasks.

I agree on the recipe, one of my all time favourites. 

• Like 4

Evening Mike, great sets of Picies there matey, really envious, BUT HANG ON A MO, :O

I too have been running Coal Trains this evening with my mate Jeff, (Binney) and ON VIDEO no less, although I cant get the length without a Storage Yard.

Great work mate, looks terrific.

Don't start 'Pushy' I can't even remember to re-size the still images never mind all the hassle - LIKE YOU HAVE JUST HAD - trying to do a video! Hahaha

Morning Mike,

Lovely shots as ever but did the Clayton make it back to the storage yard? They were far from popular in Scotland as I recall, and had a terrible reliability record. Just like the 20's though, their quirky shape makes an interesting model!

I'd assumed that you used the Citroen paint to please me, having run a Citroen Sales department for the last seventeen years Ha Ha! The difference is incredible and with weathering, I don't think it will be too far out!

Kind regards,

Jock.

PS : My haggis is ready for tomorrow night's celebration, with the relevant vegetables purchased from the farm shop today. I have my Burns anthology ready, and the page marked. I really do love his poetry, and some of the philosophy contained therein. My dad was a great fan, although I think he rather fancied himself to be a similar rakish rogue at times!

I always try to please Jock.

Re: Claytons, see reply below

Re: Burns, I wish I had his 'luck' well to a point anyway, he died at quite an early age if I remember correctly about 45ish.

Re: Citroen, sorry but I detested them especially the models of the 70's like the CA and GS etc. You needed the patience of a saint to work on them.

• Like 1

Don't you mean, the train will flail to a halt somewhere between here and Hellifield, and there will be much frantic arm waving & pointless yelling while a nice, working, steam engine is sought to drag the diseasle off to some quiet back corner for the fitter to "work" on the problem with a 20 lb sledge?

:)

James

Hi James,

Yes I pressed the 'agree' button on your scenario! I remember working on a few at St.Rollox Works, they were prone to terrible oil leaks which penetrated into the traction motors with resultant chaos. See more below...

• RMweb Premium

Wake up Bodge I think you'll find it was ME that suggested OEW.. I should know, I have Morris Minors, although none of mine have any OEW on them....

Andy G ;-}

• Like 2

Wouldn't BMC old english white be a better colour? It's a tad more on the creamer side of white....

I seem to recall that a BR report on Paxman engines had them down as 'dirty and unreliable', and a couple of claytons had Rolls-Royce lumps instead. Strange to relate that the Paxman flat engines used in the Claytons was originally designed for use in railcars, allied to electric transmission. A test train was formed of two LMS non-corridor brake thirds (vans outwards with the cab in the ends) with the engines underfloor, driving a pair of ex-Watford EMU power bogies.

Andy G

Hi Andy,

Nice to hear from you again.

I'll have a look for that colour but I'm not chancing doing the box again!

I remember working on a few Claytons at St.Rollox Works, they were prone to terrible oil leaks which penetrated into the traction motors with resultant chaos. Speaking as a Fitter they were horrendous machines to work on, absolutely no room to swing a spanner never mind a 20lb sledge hammer as James suggested earlier! The engine aluminium casings spewed oil from everywhere which was almost impossible to remedy and the engine block was shoe-horned into the undersized body which had door pillars in front of access plates on the engine block, totally bad design except for the cab which could have held a disco!

Just spotted your post on Morris Minors! Now they were a car you could easily work on. (except for the brake master cylinder - housed in the chassis!) Oh for a return to those days!

• Like 3

• RMweb Premium

Oh yes, my decent van (The first decent moggy I've ever had!) has now clocked up 26k miles since re-build four and a half years ago. It's a daily driver, having just 40 days a year not coming to work...

That poor design will explain why it's taking the DEG so long to sort the second engine out on its one!

Andy G

Morning Mike,

Make you right on the Citröen range at that time - a large part of my task at work, over the last seventeen years before my illness cut me down, was to show how Citröen had completely changed to a much less quirky product over the last twenty years! The controls are now conventional, although for a lot of my older customers, there were often too many of them! The diesel engines they share with their partner company, Peugeot, are now also shared with the Ford Motor Company and with proper maintenance and use, are one of the best on the market!

As to the Paxman engines in the Clayton, my father was of the opinion that they suffered from the same malaise as the Hillman Imp around the same time. In his not very humble opinion, both designs were basically good but spoiled by cost cutting which led to the use of lower quality alloy than originally specified and thence to oil leaks (and in the case of the Imp, head gasket failures!). He was diesel trained by the LMS and then BR whilst still driving the steamers, he was then selected to test the diesel shunters from various manufacturers at Hurlford mineral sidings (mostly from A. Barclay of Kilmarnock) and so knew his way around engines!

All the car mechanics looking in will sympathise with you on engine parts that are inaccessible after the engine is fitted in the chassis - all car manufacturers are guilty of this and of not believing that their product will ever break!

Sorry to digress so far on your thread - nothing should detract from what a wonderful layout you have created, and the Clayton is superbly presented. Can't get the comment of Derek Cross out of my head in the caption below an image of Ardrossan shed with 20 or so Claytons abandoned there after just seven years' poor service - 'Such is progress!'

Look forward to the next batch of pics (sound like Andy now!)

Kind regards,

Jock.

• Like 3

Wake up Bodge I think you'll find it was ME that suggested OEW.. I should know, I have Morris Minors, although none of mine have any OEW on them....

Andy G ;-}

Andy SORRY Mate you are RIGHT of course, I should have known, Jock's into his Citreons etc, OEW was really nice on the Jellymoulds although I had a Black and a Maroon Traveller and a Grey Pickup.

Hi guys,

Just to say I'm not averse to the odd off-topic discussion, for instance Robert Burns is on Countryfile right now! Well not him himself you understand.

As for mechanical things, anything goes as that was my formal training and vocation in various guises until the late 80's when I got myself a 38ton Artic and 40ft Tautliner trailer and went on the road for a couple of years or so. It was something I had to get out of my system having had a couple of uncles who took me around with them when I was a kid. I always said I wanted to do it - and I did............But it was not what it was cut out to be and I decided to give that up for my very first love - Woodwork. My father was a chargehand joiner but would not hear of me becoming one, so okay I did not get formal joinery training but I did get my whole childhood helping hindering my poor suffering dad on various projects. I built my first proper baseboard when I was about 12 or 13 and it took up the whole of my bedroom 12ftx11ft except for access at the door and to a cupboard. there were also access points at the far corners and a central operating well.

So if you feel like chipping in with an off topic comment, feel free!

• Like 3

Oh yes, my decent van (The first decent moggy I've ever had!) has now clocked up 26k miles since re-build four and a half years ago. It's a daily driver, having just 40 days a year not coming to work...

That poor design will explain why it's taking the DEG so long to sort the second engine out on its one!

Andy G

Hi Andy,

I don't keep up with the heritage scene but I certainly feel for the guys trying to fix the unfixable! To be honest its 30+ years ago now and perhaps the developments in gasket technology may have helped their cause somewhat providing the crankcase and cylinder heads have not gone 'porous', another fault of aluminium alloy castings.

Those pictures with the Clayton Class 17 are terrific!

Does some quick calculations to see if the bank account would survive another purchase. No. :-D

William

Shame William, the models are much better (the second and subsequent batches that is) than the real thing was! Save up mate!

• Like 2

A further weekend picture spectacular, well a few more pic's anyway...

post-5296-0-74733500-1422213729_thumb.jpg

Green liveried Class 108 begins to reduce speed at it exits Widdale Tunel for its station stop at Dent

post-5296-0-54668800-1422213746_thumb.jpg

The DMU has the road whilst the ganger looks out.

post-5296-0-29637100-1422213763_thumb.jpg

The signalman has had his coal replenished as the DMU slows still further.

post-5296-0-56443800-1422213777_thumb.jpg

Not much in the way of revenue for the DMU service, only a couple of ladies on the platform.

post-5296-0-56395900-1422213793_thumb.jpg

The local bus service is hoping for some patronage off the DMU

post-5296-0-70084000-1422213803_thumb.jpg

No doubt someone will correct me on the 'West Yorkshire' 'OB' but its the best I have.

post-5296-0-38028300-1422213812_thumb.jpg

Tunnel vision?

post-5296-0-58441500-1422213830_thumb.jpg

Perhaps hard to see but the Scout Master is having difficulty controlling the 3 Scouts in his charge as the peer over the walls at the trains! Dib-Dib!

post-5296-0-37479600-1422213843_thumb.jpg

Class 5 4-6-0 No 44666 is hauling a Manchester bound fitted freight via Hellifield and Blackburn

post-5296-0-27986900-1422213857_thumb.jpg

The Scouts are determined to get a good view and the number it seems!

More to follow....

• Like 16

Continued...

post-5296-0-27885000-1422214659_thumb.jpg

Here the two trains pass in the platform.

post-5296-0-00687600-1422214669_thumb.jpg

Class 5 - v- Leyland FG

post-5296-0-66067100-1422214678_thumb.jpg

The fitted freight is well into its stride along the level section through Dentdale.

post-5296-0-04498800-1422214685_thumb.jpg

The DMU is dwarfed by the mass of Rise Hill and its tunnel mouth.

Cont/...

Edited for typo!

Edited by mike61680
  • Like 17

Cont/..

post-5296-0-87444200-1422215041_thumb.jpg

As the Black 5 dives into Widdale Tunnel we get a glimpse of Class 1 trundling out northbound on its return to Carlisle.

post-5296-0-98257200-1422215049_thumb.jpg

Ivatt Mogul 43047 is conveying the Carlisle Upperby Breakdown train following a slight derailment just north of Hellifield

post-5296-0-26416800-1422215059_thumb.jpg

The staff are nice and cosy in the old converted clerestory coach.

A few gallery shots of the Breakdown Crane as it rumbles through Dent

post-5296-0-17731100-1422215068_thumb.jpg

post-5296-0-88483900-1422215076_thumb.jpg

post-5296-0-23150000-1422215086_thumb.jpg

post-5296-0-69525600-1422215097_thumb.jpg

That's it for now guys...

• Like 18

• RMweb Premium

Have you got at that Black Five, Mike, or have you been lucky with the photo? I ask because there is no (incorrect) light showing between the cylinders and the pony truck, which suggests the Brassmasters upgrade or similar. I have a Brassmasters upgrade kit awaiting fitting to one of mine, before quite obviously having to do the rest.

• Like 2

• RMweb Premium

Mike, as Andy says, no waiting for another week! We need a regular dose of pics - even if they are the same subject but from different angles!

Dent and Bitton are my ongoing source of inspiration at the moment. You guys are acting as very active catalysts, I can tell you.

Dent looks splendid.

Jeff