• RMweb Premium

Captivating content Mike!

Have you been bitton by the "blue diesel/steam" bug also? A most fascinating subject (I'm too young to remember it myself of course) where one could find shinny blue and yellow modern trains humming along at speed past filthy clapped out steam trains. I've always thought that photographers of the time didn't want grimy looking steam engines in their pictures of the modern stuff, so pictures showing the norm can be quite rare!

Shaun   

Hi Mike, Glad to see the Mucky Duck made it all the way to Dent on just one shovel full of Coal, It looks better on Dent than it ever would on Bitton mate, glad it working now you've removed the chip, (or have you?).

Hi Andy,

Chip not removed yet, John got me one from work yesterday so will have a go later, looks good and I only got it to copy your weathering technique Hahahaha :jester:  :jester:

• Like 1

Captivating content Mike!

Have you been bitton by the "blue diesel/steam" bug also? A most fascinating subject (I'm too young to remember it myself of course) where one could find shinny blue and yellow modern trains humming along at speed past filthy clapped out steam trains. I've always thought that photographers of the time didn't want grimy looking steam engines in their pictures of the modern stuff, so pictures showing the norm can be quite rare!

Shaun   

Hi Shaun,

Bitton! eh, nice one.

Sadly I am of an age to remember it, I say sadly not because of my age but because there is IMHO nothing like it today! I saw the fully green diesel period followed by the run down of steam and the introduction of BR Blue but getting hold of a camera and film meant doing menial jobs like delivering milk and potatoes etc. around the Glasgow tenements, this did keep you fit when you had to leg-it from a depot foreman! I visited dozens of MPD establishments, stations and lineside locations throughout the mid-late 60's the 70's and mainly stations and linesides in the 80's and 90's but interest faded by the late 90's but I do have some as you can see from this century! I just can't help myself it seems.

Anyway the stuff I have shown so far are all from uncatalogued negatives which although have survived various house moves they have become separated from the packs so the details are sketchy to say the least. However those in the packs are not too well detailed as I never really went in for that, just a brief date and location was the norm.

Plenty more to come!

• Like 5

Love the old pics Mike, could spend ages browsing them! The two steam images of the 8F and Flying Pig on shed are particularly useful to someone considering a steam shed model and so more like that would be very much appreciated (the more clutter the better!). As to diesel, I can remember the green ones and I have a couple of shots showing an early DMU and an AC railcar on shed as well as lots of Barclay shutters on test. We also saw the Claytons and a couple of early 08s. Would it have been the class 22 that was towed in by a steamer on a couple of occasions, having failed? I think we may have seen an early 25 or two when they first came to Scotland - I certainly saw one at Ayr!

Thanks for the memories,

Kind regards,

Jock.

Edited by Jock67B
  • Like 2

Love the old pics Mike, could spend ages browsing them! The two steam images of the 8F and Flying Pig on shed are particularly useful to someone considering a steam shed model and so more like that would be very much appreciated (the more clutter the better!). As to diesel, I can remember the green ones and I have a couple of shots showing an early DMU and an AC railcar on shed as well as lots of Barclay shutters on test. We also saw the Claytons and a couple of early 08s. Would it have been the class 22 that was towed in by a steamer on a couple of occasions, having failed? I think we may have seen an early 25 or two when they first came to Scotland - I certainly saw one at Ayr!

Thanks for the memories,

Kind regards,

Jock.

Hi Jock,

Glad you enjoyed the photos. I have quite a lot of 'modellers' type shots of depot infrastructure, if I remember I'll post a few next time. The early 08's you mention - these would be the ones numbered 13XXX as opposed to D3XXX, this numbering did not change until around 134XX (D34XX) over 400 of them! The class 22 was the hydraulic version so perhaps it was the Class 21 (later Class 29), difficult to tell the difference at first glance. Class 25's got everywhere just like Black 5's and Eastfield got the earlier Class 24 pilot set (5000-5019) shortly after steam was ended in Scotland. I remember they looked wore out even then!

• Like 3

Morning Mike, pics are the best way to bring people from all directions together with memories some good, some bad, and some for people like me, its an environment that I never knew existed until I started modelling in 77, so I missed all of that period, (I was to busy falling off Motor Bikes), more grat shots soon I hope. 

Morning Mike,

Thanks for the correction of my error, of course it was the '21', later to become '29' - put it down to alcohol consumption or brain fade, it could have been either!

I certainly do remember the comments by my father about the reliability - he and a few of his fellow drivers were often called upon to rescue them with good old fashioned steamers!! None of the modern crop of locos look likely to last as long as the better steam ones did, though I do appreciate my bias and accept fully that maintenance costs are probably much better these days. I think the rush to win the new diesel contracts, by companies like NBL who had been world renowned producers of steam locomotives, resulted in poor designs which were hurried into service with minimal testing and limited investment.

By way of contrast, in LMS days, and continued by BR, selected drivers like my dad (I was always proud of him considering he left school before the age of fifteen to help support the family when his father left them!) were funded through college to embrace diesel technology. One of the reasons for his move to Hurlford from Dumfries was to do extensive testing of diesel shunters using the large numbers of mineral wagons operated in the area. One memory that stood me in good stead at Uni was his explanation of why the steam locos always started a heavy load better than the diesels at the time - 'maximum torque at nil revs!'

I suppose, when looking back at that period, there are parallels in our motorcycle and car industries where quality was sacrificed to cut costs!

Hope to see some more of your excellent images, old and new, soon!

Kind regards,

Jock.

• Like 5

Morning Mike,

Thanks for the correction of my error, of course it was the '21', later to become '29' - put it down to alcohol consumption or brain fade, it could have been either!

I certainly do remember the comments by my father about the reliability - he and a few of his fellow drivers were often called upon to rescue them with good old fashioned steamers!! None of the modern crop of locos look likely to last as long as the better steam ones did, though I do appreciate my bias and accept fully that maintenance costs are probably much better these days. I think the rush to win the new diesel contracts, by companies like NBL who had been world renowned producers of steam locomotives, resulted in poor designs which were hurried into service with minimal testing and limited investment.

By way of contrast, in LMS days, and continued by BR, selected drivers like my dad (I was always proud of him considering he left school before the age of fifteen to help support the family when his father left them!) were funded through college to embrace diesel technology. One of the reasons for his move to Hurlford from Dumfries was to do extensive testing of diesel shunters using the large numbers of mineral wagons operated in the area. One memory that stood me in good stead at Uni was his explanation of why the steam locos always started a heavy load better than the diesels at the time - 'maximum torque at nil revs!'

I suppose, when looking back at that period, there are parallels in our motorcycle and car industries where quality was sacrificed to cut costs!

Hope to see some more of your excellent images, old and new, soon!

Kind regards,

Jock.

Hi Jock,

Its always a pleasant task reading about your Hurlford connections. The NBL did indeed rush their diesel designs which failed alarmingly when pressed into service. I recall seeing a couple of inside roads at St.Rollox (Balornock) shed filled with burnt out Class 21's! They were awaiting replacement power units changing from MAN versions to Paxman "what a mistake to make!" When I worked on them at St.Rollox Works even in the first year of my apprenticeship I knew they were a VERY bad design, polite for a "piece of junk" and ugly looking too!

I'll have to dig out my very rare photos of them!

• Like 5

Hi Jock,

I meant to add that I was put on overhauling Class 08's and knew them inside out, probably still do. I could have gone out to Liberia as part of a team tutoring the locals in the maintenance methods when the Lamco Mining Co. bought several of them and some ex: Glasgow-Ayr Swindon units for staff transport. I applied and got the position but my father took seriously ill so I declined.

Thanks for that, sorry I've taken a while to respond but Ive had a pretty distressing evening with a seriously ill friend.

I guess your early days at St. Rollox produced an interesting mix of projects. Did you do much work on steam? I was fascinated by the work carried out by the Hurlford engineers - making bearings, welding frames and the like, as well as a lot of heavy work undertaken out in the elements behind the shed, adjacent to the crane! Wonder what today's mechanics would make of the larger spammers from that time - two men or more to carry them?

Look forward to the next set of pics, old and new!

Kind regards,

Jock.

Edited because predictive text called the shed 'St. Follow!'

Edited by Jock67B
  • Like 2

Thanks for that, sorry I've taken a while to respond but Ive had a pretty distressing evening with a seriously ill friend.

I guess your early days at St. Follow produced an interesting mix of projects. Did you do much work on steam? I was fascinated by the work carried out by the Hurlford engineers - making bearings, welding frames and the like, as well as a lot of heavy work undertaken out in the elements behind the shed, adjacent to the crane! Wonder what today's mechanics would make of the larger spammers from that time - two men or more to carry them?

Look forward to the next set of pics, old and new!

Kind regards,

Jock.

Hi Jock,

Sadly I missed steam 'technically' by one minute! Okay to be serious my apprenticeship officially began on August 12 1968 and the final curtain for steam on BR was the Fifteen Guinea Special which ran on August 11 1968. How unlucky (or lucky thinking about those spanners) can one be! There was and old phrase used on the railway in my time there.............."The lightest thing on the railway is the wage packet" I can only concur with the sentiment! I saw the light when they bought Romanian built 56's at which time I departed. The first batch of Romanian 56's had their chassis built the wrong way round and had to be rectified which caused a delay in their arrival. I was working at Toton TMD by then.

Morning Mike.

How can you build a Chassis around the WRONG WAY?

Great stories from yourself and Jock.

Ask the Romanians mate! I know nothing!

I just remember the laughs we all had at Toton as we expected their delivery imminently which of course did not happen. I also remember the worry over the power unit being a 2 stroke! No-one had a clue about 2-stroke diesels at the time, fun and games hhahahaha.

Morning Mike, just popped in for a Daily FIX, but nothing, Roll on the weekend, ahhahah

All the best mate.

BTW What did you buy at Stafford?

Hi Andy,

No fix as I am tending a serious wound! A Blo*dy dog thought I was dinner yesterday so have been back a forth to hospital and walk-in centres since then! Pictures to gory for here I think!

As for what I got at Stafford, you must try harder! go back to post 2373 dear boy!

Running miles behind with work so may be a little short of posts for a day or two, sorry mate.

Hi Mike, All,

Speaking of Romanian built diesels, . . . . .

One of my favourite railways/countries is Greece and in the late 70's early 80's, they bought some BIG Romanian built diesels called "Craovia's" that were fitted with a 4000Hp rip off of the Alco 251 engine and these were not too good even when built by Alco, so you can only imagine how poor the Greek locos were (terrible! They had all gone after only a few years).

Similarly with the East Germans, they were forced (by Comecon/USSR) to buy any diesels over 1800Hp so again, bought Romanian - big mistake! Even re-building by a united Germany in the mid 90's didn't save them, they were awful too! The DDR also bought a good few Russian built 3000Hp locos and they are still in front line service today.

Lesson: DON'T buy Romanian!!!

Poor BR back in the mid 70's, it really was a very sorry state for a national railway to be in.

Cheers,

John.

• Like 1

No fix as I am tending a serious wound! A Blo*dy dog thought I was dinner yesterday so have been back a forth to hospital and walk-in centres since then! Pictures to gory for here I think!

Hope you are ok Mike.  Been a bit on the national and local news tonight about dangerous dogs and people getting seriously hurt.  Apparently there has been a large increase in cases recently.  It is about time something was done to curb the current trend but I guess it will be the responsible owners and their pets that will suffer.

Hi Mick,

I can only agree mate. I have two dogs and always get on quite well with other peoples but for some inexplicable reason this one a Border Collie type, unusual in itself, took a total dislike to my presence which resulted in seven stitches and blood pressure through the roof 210/55! The doctor advised I reported the incident adding 'what if it had been a child' so we'll let the authorities take their course of action, I'll survive.