Just an observation Mike. Weren't MR boxes built with the frame at the back of the box so the 'bobby' operated the frame with his back to the traffic? 

Did Dent differ in this respect?

Hi Leander,

As Clive has said Dent frame is indeed at the front, I have a photo somewhere from 'Beast666' which I'll find and post later.

• Like 1

Hi Leander

Only a few late bulid MR boxes had frames at the back of the box. Some MR boxes that received new frames in LMS and BR days also had them at the back. Dent was at the front acording to the Anderson and Fox book on the Settle and Carlisle Railway and the John Swift collection of signal box diagrams.

In fact Mike has got his levers in all the correct colours and in the right order. Well done.

The only thing I am concerned with is would/could/should number 20 be pulled if number 17 is still set to danger? I think 20 should be a caution as number 17 has not been pulled. Would  the locking have prevented it being pulled? I don't think it can be seen now the roof is on.

Hi Clive,

You may well be right but not being a signalling guru I thought (bad move) that the distant would allow passage through No.14 but the signal at the bridge could be on, I can easily reposition the No.17 if that is the correct thing to do. I got the colours right which I really pleased with, all of course done by assistance from RMWeb contributants, so a big thank you all for that!

• Like 4

• RMweb Premium

Hi Mike

I am no expert on signalling but from what i understand is the distant would be interlocked so that it could not be pulled until all the stop signals for the route set were set to clear. The distant set to caution warned the driver that one or more of the stop signals were set to danger so he slowed down and was prepared to stop.

• RMweb Gold

Hi Mike

I am no expert on signalling but from what i understand is the distant would be interlocked so that it could not be pulled until all the stop signals for the route set were set to clear. The distant set to caution warned the driver that one or more of the stop signals were set to danger so he slowed down and was prepared to stop.

Dent had two Distants (worked by separate levers) in one direction - left end of frame.  And accurately reproduced it would appear  :sungum: 

Edited by The Stationmaster
  • Like 3

• RMweb Premium

Hi Mike. Seems I've been missing my early morning calls, being elsewhere - probably in the garden - at the time.

Funny business, this signalling. Reading the recent posts, they are as unintelligible to me as, I suppose, some of the astrophysics stuff - to others - is in the Asylum.

Either way, a grand layout!

Jeff

Edited by Physicsman

Nice one Mike, so what's next for Dent?

Hi Andy,

Just detailing is the plan for a while at least, only 'big' change will be making the station masters house, now I have the windows I can start it - when I don't know though as there is so much yet to do but on the other hand its the only structure that screams cardboard! So there's a chance it may be sooner rather than later.

Hi Mike. Seems I've been missing my early morning calls, being elsewhere - probably in the garden - at the time.

Funny business, this signalling. Reading the recent posts, they are as unintelligible to me as, I suppose, some of the astrophysics stuff is in the Asylum.

Jeff

Hi Jeff,

I've not been doing my usual a.m. thingy for a while as I'm out earlier than usual to work.

Signalling is a real black art and I for one would NEVER make a signalman, you should see some of the disasters I have! I don't mind bragging I know quite a lot about 'British Railways' but I'm afraid signalling is not my forte'. Your garden is looking the business Jeff, good effort my Lord! :jester:

• Like 2

Hi Clive, Mike & Ian,

Regarding the above posts I can see the reasoning behind that now its been explained in that way, it seems I got the 'Up' line correct but failed miserably on the 'Down'. Not to worry there just happens to be a possession on the line so the offending lever will soon be repositioned. Hahaha. Funny thing is Ratio provide a 20 lever baseplate and obviously for ease of production 3 frets containing 7 levers each therefore if the existing lever is damaged I can use the spare once I paint it red.

So its thanks again to everyone for their assistance, much appreciated guys.

• Like 5

• RMweb Gold

Funny business, this signalling. Reading the recent posts, they are as unintelligible to me as, I suppose, some of the astrophysics stuff is in the Asylum.

Jeff

Don't worry Jeff - my biggest challenge with astrophysics is spelling it - after I've managed that all I can do is split the word in two and start guessing.  

Signalling is not much different really - all about logic.  Only trouble is once you've got that under your belt you start coming across the exceptions  (like the two Distants in one direction at Dent - unusual but more easily explained when you look at a  gradient chart). But then I have been studying it, and practicing it and writing things like Rules and Signalling Regulations and Instructions and specifications to which signalling is to be installed for rather more years than I dare to remember - so just ask when you feel puzzled.

• Like 3

• RMweb Premium

Don't worry Jeff - my biggest challenge with astrophysics is spelling it - after I've managed that all I can do is split the word in two and start guessing.  

Signalling is not much different really - all about logic.  Only trouble is once you've got that under your belt you start coming across the exceptions  (like the two Distants in one direction at Dent - unusual but more easily explained when you look at a  gradient chart). But then I have been studying it, and practicing it and writing things like Rules and Signalling Regulations and Instructions and specifications to which signalling is to be installed for rather more years than I dare to remember - so just ask when you feel puzzled.

As always, Mike, you are a true gentleman, sir!

I've always appreciated the help you provided with the KL layout and I'll "come knocking" when I get to the relevant bit with KL2!!

Jeff

Hi guys,

No usual running night tonight but something new to show!

Got a few pounds for my birthday so put it toward a rake of 'Grampus' wagons...

post-5296-0-59792600-1433363640_thumb.jpg
Ivatt 4MT 2-6-0 hauls a fairly heavy ballast train through Dent

post-5296-0-59792600-1433363640_thumb.jpg

post-5296-0-11283200-1433363652_thumb.jpg

post-5296-0-18987600-1433363661_thumb.jpg

post-5296-0-96341900-1433363668_thumb.jpg

post-5296-0-17020900-1433363677_thumb.jpg

Now all those look pretty good don't you think, well to be blatantly honest I'm none too impressed, if you don't want to read the ramblings of an auld git then read no further!

post-5296-0-44185300-1433363687_thumb.jpg

I got 4 weathered and 6 pristine

Plus points:

Glad to get them in the first place RTR!

Free load! Okay needs work.

Better wheels than a while back from Dapol.

Bad points:

Axles only just catch in frames

Couplings all odd heights and many needed screwing up

Couplings on weathered version stuck by paint

Wheels better but flanges still a bit on the thick side

Weathering leaves a bit to be desired AND would the load really be weathered too in real life? Hideous!

Packaging pretty basic, cheap cardboard.

Couplings stick up on weathered wagons.

I have only ran them through the scenic section so if anything else develops I will let you all know.

First things to do will be a better load followed by better weathering!

post-5296-0-60676800-1433363626_thumb.jpg

• Like 4

• RMweb Gold

I returned mine mate, what can I say, hideous is the only way to describe them. I had the same with Dapo's 6 Wheel Milk Tanks.

I got one cheap - which was probably just as well as when I unpacked it it fell apart, and has never been keen to stay in one piece since (and probably from the day it was 'assembled').

I returned mine mate, what can I say, hideous is the only way to describe them. I had the same with Dapo's 6 Wheel Milk Tanks.

Hi Andy,

I have about 10 or 12  milk tanks but they just will not run, they derail everywhere and anywhere, pity really as there was an Express Dairy at Appleby! 

These lot will only see occasional service but it is disappointing to find Dapol are sticking to making garbage and charging top dollar for it> No more one thinks.

I got one cheap - which was probably just as well as when I unpacked it it fell apart, and has never been keen to stay in one piece since (and probably from the day it was 'assembled').

Understandable given the build quality Mike. I'll leave my lot in a siding as a photo opportunity!

Understandable given the build quality Mike. I'll leave my lot in a siding as a photo opportunity!

BUT, that's NOT why you paid good money for them mate, its a ruddy shame as they do look good from a distance, I have a rake of Parkside ones that one of our Club members made, and as he fitted Kadee's no one else wanted them, so they came to me for a COUPLE OF QUID EACH, result.

• Like 4

Hi Mike

I have about 8 of the grampus and must have been lucky with them . All run well on the layouts but a few did have the couplings dropping down but I have since changed them to Kadees and they are fine now. I must agree the the load needs to improved but in some have stacked cut up sleepers and they look a lot better.

Regarding the 6 wheeled milk tankers the wheels were C...... so I have changed then to Hornby wagon wheels and they now run smooth.  I also have a number of Lima ones which I have done the same to them.

Peter

• Like 2

Hi Mike

I have about 8 of the grampus and must have been lucky with them . All run well on the layouts but a few did have the couplings dropping down but I have since changed them to Kadees and they are fine now. I must agree the the load needs to improved but in some have stacked cut up sleepers and they look a lot better.

Regarding the 6 wheeled milk tankers the wheels were C...... so I have changed then to Hornby wagon wheels and they now run smooth.  I also have a number of Lima ones which I have done the same to them.

Peter

Cheers Peter, I'll give that a try on the milk tanks, its a shame to have them stuck in a drawer. You would think as technology marches ever onward and upward why the heck we end up with a load of tat!

Cheers Peter, I'll give that a try on the milk tanks, its a shame to have them stuck in a drawer. You would think as technology marches ever onward and upward why the heck we end up with a load of tat!

Its simply because people like US buy them and DONT SEND THEM BACK, so they continue to produce the c*** that people like US continue to buy, so they continue to produce the same C*** thinking all is well in the world and so the cycle continues.

• Like 1

Quick update on a little job started this week.

post-5296-0-24191900-1433528624_thumb.jpg

Cut up some timber to make wagon loads

post-5296-0-65684500-1433528635_thumb.jpg

Had some 'Smiths' tarpaulin sheets

post-5296-0-80853200-1433528652_thumb.jpg

Crumpled the sheets several times

post-5296-0-47976000-1433528661_thumb.jpg

Folded them over the wagon and exposed the load slightly

post-5296-0-91848100-1433528671_thumb.jpg

Folded and glued the corners down

post-5296-0-00717200-1433529050_thumb.jpg

Made a loop in some black cotton and pulled it over a buffer