Update: I might be wearing a flat cap that Johnny Gringo kindly sent me through the post, rather than my usual filthy green baseball cap :D

Really looking forward to Expo EP; great layouts, great company, proper traders who sell things to model with rather than red & blue boxes, and as an added bonus, I am picking up a couple of locos.

Neither of them will be used on Bacup; both are EM gauge for starters. One is a Craftsman C12 and the other, which needs finishing, is an N2 with a Comet chassis (yep, both GNR locos, destined for use on Clayton when finished and backdated to their 1930's guises)

Hi Jason,

With last year being my first Expo I was very pleased with the traders and agree entirely with your sentiments, better bring my 'other' wallet this time.

I tried modelling pre-BR once but I just could not enjoy it having never seen them in real life but if people like yourself did not have these ideas it would be a stale and boring exhibition, any exhibition!

• RMweb Premium

I see your point but if I was to model what I remember from my formative years, it would be either overhead electrics on the WCML (boring) or a procession of DMU's interspersed with the occasional clapped out blue diesel (25's, 31's, 40's and 47's, but after the mid 80's, mainly clapped out 31's) hauling block freight to and from Furness. Not exactly riveting :)

Mike, one of the Layouts that I'm looking forward to seeing at Cov is Much Murkle, by Nick Wood, its GWR but the scenics are outstanding so always worth a look.

Take two wallets? a Scotsman with TWO WALLETS? Now I know you have a sense of humour, hahhahhah

Bodge

Bodge

Hi Mark,

I worked on that loco' many times in Toton BUT in 'BR Blue' days it must be noted. hahaha :no: Don't recall a two tone green version in BR use though, is my memory failing me yet again? I know a couple of BR Green Peaks failed to have the off white solebar stripe applied after a works visit and they looked awful in my opinion.

Hi Mark - I was skimming through this thread and noticed your reference to D55, thought you'd like a 'peek' at this - taken at Rotherham Masborough...

post-7638-0-72548300-1410356989_thumb.jpg

• Like 6

Hi Mark - I was skimming through this thread and noticed your reference to D55, thought you'd like a 'peek' at this - taken at Rotherham Masborough...

attachicon.gifScannedImage-39.jpg

Just as I remember them best! I caught the tale end of the green livery when they regularly hauled the Thames-Clyde as the loco was serviced at Corkerhill, that was a lunchtime dash from school at dinner time most days to see what was on shed. I fondly remember the 'D' prefix days and even the blue livery but I remember being annoyed at the TOPS changes which meant I had to start again! I mean you can't mark off D55 when its got 45144 on the loco, its not even close!

• Like 4

Just to clarify on the 'two' wallets debate:

I have one which is classed as 'our' wallet by the wife who considers the contents fair game for all her needs and wants, I'm sure most married men have one like that, wife I mean wallet I mean.

Then I have my 'second' wallet which is currently unknown about by the fair maiden whom hopefully will not read through this forum too analytically and will just browse the pretty pictures. 

I trust this clarifies the situation and will of course update the position if and when I am undoubtedly discovered! Let's just pray its still a good way off as my other love (Dent) is just as big a draw on the pear strings as its counterpart!

• Like 1

Andy, yes, a Scotsman with two wallets does sound, well ----- not quite right.  But you know, us Yorkshire men are very similar to Scotsmen, but far less generous.

Derek

Hahahha At least you guys wont need a Passport YET! :no:

Bodge.

I have one which is classed as 'our' wallet by the wife who considers the contents fair game for all her needs and wants, I'm sure most married men have one like that, wife I mean wallet I mean.

Then I have my 'second' wallet which is currently unknown about by the fair maiden whom hopefully will not read through this forum too analytically and will just browse the pretty pictures. 

I trust this clarifies the situation and will of course update the position if and when I am undoubtedly discovered! Let's just pray its still a good way off as my other love (Dent) is just as big a draw on the pear strings as its counterpart!

Mike, thanks for clarifying that Mike, I couldn't imagine actually going out and BUYING TWO wallets. hahhahha

I remember my very first wallet I bought just after I started work, it was something like say about 80p in todays money, and all I had was an old £1 note, (Jason wont remember them) so I handed over my note, took delivery of the wallet and then had NOTHING TO PUT IN IT, hahahah.

Bodge.

Edited by Andrew P

Mornin' Mike & all,

Re: the Anhydrite hoppers by Ianmcgordie(?), they're great looking kits indeed but not for the faint hearted! When I was in my 'Dent' phase, I wanted 20 or more and Ian very kindly and sensibly didn't want to sell me 20 straight off, he let me have just one and guess what? He was absolutely right!

Mine is still sitting awaiting the day when I can must the skill to build it!!!

It looks absolutely excellent though and there's clearly a lot of time, thought and care gone into it's production so I'd recommend it!

Cheers,

John.

• RMweb Premium

Well I think it is your duty to build and document it on here John, so that when Mike and Jeff start theirs, they can use it for reference ;)

The poor sods will have to build LOADS of them :D

• RMweb Premium

Well I think it is your duty to build and document it on here John, so that when Mike and Jeff start theirs, they can use it for reference ;)

No I won't. I'll commission you to build 20 of them for me at a price you can't refuse!!

Jeff

I have one which is classed as 'our' wallet by the wife who considers the contents fair game for all her needs and wants, I'm sure most married men have one like that, wife I mean wallet I mean.

Mike,

I don't have this problem, I'm married to a 'Book-keeper/Accounts Person, so just like Prince Charles (but without the fortune!), I don't carry money. When I was still able to work, Joanna called it the perfect marriage - I earned it, she distributed it. In all honesty, although I'm a thoroughbred Scotsman, I am deemed too generous and would probably give it all to my grandchildren if allowed!

The 'tightness' of the Scots is a rumour brought about by Aberdonians who are thought to have turnstiles as front gates, or so my grandad used to tell me!

Back to railways now, and good luck to all those fortunate enough to be going to shows this weekend,

Kind regards,

Jock.

Edited by Jock67B

That's not a bad idea actually!

When I bought this kit, I was thinking how would I make it P4 but as a test build, it could go 00, as designed!

Thinking!

John.

• Like 1

• RMweb Premium

Why was I expecting that reply :D

Come on Jeff, it's only sticking bits together ;)

I learned a whole raft of new stuff when I was building KL. No doubt I'm going to be so inspired, once KL2 gets fully underway, that I'll be very happy to build some of these kits.

From what I remember, railway modelling is somewhat addictive!

Jeff

No I won't. I'll commission you to build 20 of them for me at a price you can't refuse!!

Jeff

AND when Jason builds the twenty for you, you can then send them down to me and we will rotate them on a weekly basis for a run each way on KL2 followed by Dent, sensible use of resources I think (and your funds Jeff) hahaha

• Like 2

• RMweb Premium

They're tricky to build? Hmm. That probably shouldn't be a surprise since they're not the simplest looking wagons around. I really, really want, nay, need anhydrite hoppers but I'm still pretty inexperienced in brass kits (only done a signal, a tender and a coach and I'm not 100% satisfied with my work on them). Drat.

Jason has a long list of things to build. By the time they would be ready, they'll have been in the Bachmann catalogue for five years as RTR items :D

The greatest piece of fiction in the model railway world! I may just have a bash, oh sudden rush of blood, maybe not! :jester:

They're tricky to build? Hmm. That probably shouldn't be a surprise since they're not the simplest looking wagons around. I really, really want, nay, need anhydrite hoppers but I'm still pretty inexperienced in brass kits (only done a signal, a tender and a coach and I'm not 100% satisfied with my work on them). Drat.

Hi Reorte,

I'm in agreement with you, I'm just too fumbley with tiny bits, I have the two bracket signals to complete and I just sit looking at them - one day maybe.